Proper ignore function

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 950 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:16

Afternoon,

Can I request that we have a proper ignore function please?

Currently the content is hidden, but it's still visible that somebody on your ignore list has posted.

In other forums, the post is completely hidden. You also have the option to hide posts that quote/reply to somebody you have on ignore.

Hopefully that's possible to have implemented on this forum also.

Just an idea.

Thanks.

Edited by onemoresolo, 15 September 2017 - 12:17.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,856 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:56

It is apparently possible to completely hide posts - although even then you would probably still spot it, since there would be missing post numbers in the thread. However, this software doesn't have the 'hide quote' option. So I can only assume that the boards where this has been implemented are using something other than IP Board. It has actually been raised on Invision's own user forum:

https://invisioncomm...-user-features/

#3 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 950 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 16:15

It is apparently possible to completely hide posts - although even then you would probably still spot it, since there would be missing post numbers in the thread. However, this software doesn't have the 'hide quote' option. So I can only assume that the boards where this has been implemented are using something other than IP Board. It has actually been raised on Invision's own user forum:

https://invisioncomm...-user-features/

Interesting.

That would be a big improvement over the current ignore system, even without the quote part of my suggestion.

#4 BMWTeamBigazzi

BMWTeamBigazzi

• 226 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:18

Well we are all here to debate, talk freely etc........no matter what motorsport we follow!! Some of us may like or not like what somebody is whittering on about?? I can Take the P**s and all, But respect their opinions!!!.....above all! whats the worst that's gonna happen? OMG!! so and so blocked me?? I can't believe it!!! well jog on...I dinna care who likes or hates what I post!

We all have our niches in the motorsport world, we're all entitled to our piece of action... but ffs.. bolt on some Michelin's or Yoko's and get a grip!! we ain't here to please everybody!

#5 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,424 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:59

Disagree with the posts above suggesting that there is something wrong with the Ignore system currently (and for quite some time) in place.

IMHO, it is functioning as it should as a safety valve, and in offering those who chose to to re-engage with particular posters either ad hoc, or in deciding to remove people from their Ignore List, the opportunity to do so based on the availability of posts for viewing. :up:

Edited by Zmeej, 16 September 2017 - 03:02.

#6 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 29,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:26

Well we are all here to debate, talk freely etc........no matter what motorsport we follow!! Some of us may like or not like what somebody is whittering on about?? I can Take the P**s and all, But respect their opinions!!!.....above all! whats the worst that's gonna happen? OMG!! so and so blocked me?? I can't believe it!!! well jog on...I dinna care who likes or hates what I post!

We all have our niches in the motorsport world, we're all entitled to our piece of action... but ffs.. bolt on some Michelin's or Yoko's and get a grip!! we ain't here to please everybody!

:up:  :up:

Can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen.  :smoking:

#7 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 950 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 21:56

Umm, Ok. Not sure why you think it's about your posts in particular.

There are plenty of posters who post stuff just to troll / annoy / get a reaction.

Nothing wrong with healthy debate.

Just can do without the deliberate wind up merchants is all. Just want to read the opinions of people who actually care, not those looking for reactions.

Don't want the function, don't use it. Pretty simple...

But as the function already exists, just thought it would be worth making it work more effectively.

#8 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 16:19

Did you mean to post that on the forum... or was it meant for your diary? You sound like an angsty teenage girl.

Relax.

#9 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:00

There would certainly be a few people I would choose to ignore, as there would me.

The above being the prime candidate!

#10 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 950 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:41

You already can chunder, just go to your profile and add their name to your ignore list.

Problem is, the current function still notifies you that they've posted. Instead of their post, you get a message that says "This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by onemoresolo. View it anyway?" - which can  be as annoying to read each time as it is to read the post itself! Particularly if they've made several posts. 

One example is in the McLaren thread. The same person repeatedly copy/pasting the same post about McLaren making their car draggy to make Honda look bad every few hours, just to get a reaction - you'd rather just turn them off altogether and focus on those making valid points worth discussing.

The current function is OK, but other forums do make the post disappear from view completely. And the phrase "ignorance is bliss" exists for a reason.

#11 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,424 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 13:18

The phrase "ignorance is bliss" exists for many reasons, the primary one being irony. :cool:

Otherwise, in my experience, seeing the name of a poster on my Ignore list followed by "This post is hidden..." generally brings me a sense of relief, if not a smile. Haven't been annoyed by it yet.

On the odd occasion, it arouses my curiosity, varying among:
- is this person still flaming or have they decided to stop posting idiotically?
- have I calmed down enough to read this person's posts?
- did this person write something I might enjoy taking the piss out of? :smoking:

Edited by Zmeej, 19 September 2017 - 13:20.

#12 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 36,355 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 13:55

I do not have an ignore list, I am fully capable of ignoring any post I want, while working of the premise not all what we all post can be bad.

:cool:

#13 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:54

There would certainly be a few people I would choose to ignore, as there would me.

The above being the prime candidate!

Haha, same. I actually came to this thread with you in mind!

#14 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 950 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:05

Get a room you two.

#15 Tony Mandara

Tony Mandara

• 10,418 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 18:26

Ignore functions are for thin-skinned, lilly-livered wimps!

;)  ;)

#16 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:43

Maybe

But they are quite helpful for annoying tossers too

As many who know me will agree.

#17 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,424 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:29

Mr Mandara :wave:

Just so ya know, there are areas where my body/spirit's skin is thick and/or calloused, and areas where it's thin, and prefer to think of myself as a rose-kidneyed geek/fogey.

#18 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 68,424 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:32

Chunder27 :wave:

You're too much fun to Ignore.