Photo
- - - - -

Best viewing at Marina Bay Street Circuit (Singapore)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 280 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:22

Since Singapore has extended it's contract to host the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay Street Circuit; me and some friends want to go there next year.

Asking people that have been there; where are the best viewing platforms?
Since its in the night, I'm guessing too far of isn't very good.

During the race I noticed the Fullertons Boat House (just after the bridge where Ericsson crashed). Is that any good?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

#2 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:31

I would say the swimming pool over the top of that building :smoking:

#3 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 280 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 12:04

I would say the swimming pool over the top of that building :smoking:

Do you actully see anything from there?
I've been there and it's an awesome place, but viewing the race?

#4 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 4,149 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 13:12

I would say in such a track the best view is on TV. You can probably see a bit more from that building than just sitting in a stand next to the track, everything will be tiny sure but otherwise you would only see a small part of the track.

#5 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 13:25

Not really, cars would be rather tiny in the distance. Bonus though: you won't be able to recognise the Halo.

I've been sitting at the Marina Bay Grandstand, and it was ok as an experience because you got a nice view of the harbour, the Marina Bay Sands and the financial district. In terms of racing, you see them accelerate shortly, brake and turn left rather slowly, probably a lock-up and a driver going into the escape road here and there. You don't really sense the speed these cars can go, but then again you probably won't anywhere at this circuit, apart from a seat in the first corner maybe. If you go for the "view from the hotel"-option, consider the Swissôtel and/or its bar, you got a splendid view from there as well.

Edited by Jovanotti, 25 September 2017 - 13:31.

#6 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 18:15

I was at the Singapore GP last weekend and it was one of the best Grand Prix experiences I have had for views of the track, off track entertainment and nightlife (having previously attended Silverstone, Monza, Hockenheim and Abu Dhabi)

On Friday I had a premium walkabout ticket.  I watched the cars at different spots including at the 100m board for turn 1, entry to turn 5, turns 11/12 and the outside of turns 22/23.  The sense of speed and proximity to the cars was better than at any of the other tracks I have been to.  

I watched from Bay Grandstand for qualifying and the race.  It isn't a fantastic spot for watching F1 cars do their thing and you won't see any overtaking.  That being said, the backdrop with Marina Bay in the background is spectacular and you have great views of 2 giant TV screens to follow the race.  Plus if you get a combination that includes a walkabout on Friday you will have been able to experience the might of the machines during practice.

The Singapore GP also excels off track.  The live "music" this year wasn't my cup of tea but being right in the city gives you plenty of options for bars/restaurants/clubs which are all open well into the early hours.  The atmosphere within the venue is also much more "festival like" than the other grand prix I have visited, although you do get the impression that a large proportion are there for the party as much as the race!

All in all I think the best option is a walkabout ticket for Friday with a grandstand from Saturday/Sunday.  The walkabout tickets provides some of the best views of the cars I have ever seen if you go to the right spots, while having a grandstand for the rest of the weekend guarantees you somewhere to sit and watch the race.  The views you will get from your grandstand really depend on how much you are willing to pay but personally I prioritise views of a TV screen for following the race.

You can also access the entrance/exit to the paddock with a ticket that gives access to zone 1/2.  I waited around after the race and saw all the big names coming out including Prost, Stewart, Coulthard, Villeneuve, Brawn, Boullier, Charlie Whiting, Lauda, Toto Wolff, Bottas, Verstappen, Grosjean, Magnussen, Marko.  I was able to congratulate Boullier on dumping Honda (got a thank you from him!) and cheekily asked Wolff/Lauda why they hadn't signed Alonso! 

Here are a few rubbish pictures I took with an iPhone to give you a slightly better idea. 

Turn 1

DKltplDW0AAuM90.jpg

DKltukUXcAI32ib.jpg

DKltw6XXkAEVyyp.jpg

Turn 5

giphy.gif]

Turn 22/23

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Bay Grandstand

DKl4ThnXkAAN6N1.jpg

Edited by RockyRaccoon68, 25 September 2017 - 19:15.

#7 GenJackRipper

GenJackRipper

• 280 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:46

Thank you for a great response!

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,037 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:17

Stamford hôtel room 2316. http://www.swissotel...apore-stamford/

Edited by jonpollak, 02 October 2017 - 04:37.