Photo

Looking for some information on Lotus 72D

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 addled

addled

• 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 15:35

Recently, I completed - long journey - a detailed 1/12 scale model of the Lotus 49 based on the car Hill drove at Jarama in '68.  My research consisted of collecting as many pictures as possible from the web of 49s and then eventually trying to sort out the specifics of the car for the race in question.  I got really significant assistance from some people on this forum, for which I'm most grateful.

Now I'm trying to do the same thing again, this time with 72D (ultimately, for the car Fittipaldi drove at Monza in '72).  From pictures online, I've gathered quite a lot of information - some of it to do with the restoration of 72s built to 'E' specs.

I don't have any information about:

• the underside of the tub - whether, as I suspect, the 72 was completely flat and 'clean' (as there was no need for any external plumbing/wiring from front to back).
  • the radiator pods.  Earlier, I think they were actually ducted.  With the 'D' it looks as though they were simple, thin (aluminium?) covers.  Also it appears that the screens that earlier were mounted in the pods ahead of the radiators where either removed or attached to the front of the radiators.
  • details of the fuel pump and fuel filler area behind the driver, including plumbing and wiring.
  • rear bulkhead without DFV attached and radiator area without pods in particular showing the design/attachment of side brackets for the lower radius rods before the 'E'.

Either pictures or descriptions based on your recollections would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Mark

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:23

I believe Classic Team Lotus has that 72D.  Maybe try contacting them ?  Here is a link:

http://www.classicte....co.uk/en/home/

Vince H.

#3 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 19:57

Suggest to check out Michael Oliver's 72 book (if you haven't already) which has a lot of info and detail photos. The Haynes 72 manual is also worth a look.