Photo
* * * - - 9 votes

Daniel Ricciardo vs Max Verstappen 2017 (Part 4)

• Please log in to reply
4930 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,787 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:10

Please continue comparing the skill, speed and mishaps of Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen below. We've just had the Japanese GP, where Max finished second and Dan finished third.

And be nice!

Advertisement

#2 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,448 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:12

Ricciardo sure has his hands full. Max is doing to him what he did to Vettel a couple of years ago. 2018 ought to be very interesting.

#3 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:13

Somehow my quote button doesn't work the way it should, but I want to react on Ricardo F1.
Saying you can't really compare is a bit silly IMHO. They both had no technical issues, no penalties and were not crashed out by others. Both were able to make the best of this race based on their own capacities. If getting stuck behind someone already means we can't compare their race, then you never can compare races. I assume you then just want to compare a clean lap fastest time, right? Then it is best to look at Q I guess.

Just remember, if Max ever gets stuck behind Daniel we will say that you can’t compare the race also.. we will use his words than.

I get that the comparison doesn’t favor his driver. But Dan drove an excellent race.

From the first bit it very quickly became clear they both would have different goals. Max was following the carrot on a stick that was held in fromt of him. Daniel was focused on securing the podium by passing Ocon and than going long like he did in Malaysia. His pass on Ocon was very good, that was still a Mercedes powered car and not a bad one either.

#4 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:14

Happy to see Verstappen moved from 68 to 111 points in a week's time. His season is finally coming together.

#5 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:17

Would be interesting to compare Max' and Ricciardo's point tally as of the moment both cars started finishing.

#6 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:17

Happy to see Verstappen moved from 68 to 111 points in a week's time. His season is finally coming together.

His goal should be to beat Kimi. And Ric should aim for Bottas. TBH doesnt say much for Ferrari and Mercs 2nd drivers. The only reason Max is behind Kimi is bad luck.

#7 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:22

Would be interesting to compare Max' and Ricciardo's point tally as of the moment both cars started finishing.

Verstappen 81-79 Ricciardo

#8 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:23

Malaysia and Japan are a foreshadowing for 2018 I feel. Hamilton vs Verstappen next year, with Ricciardo and Bottas as the second drivers

#9 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:24

Nothing really between these two overall... but, even as a Danny Ric fan, I do get the feeling on raw speed he's only going to find it more and more difficult to match Max.

I sense a bit of Senna/Prost. Think Daniel will realise it (if he hasn't already) and adjust accordingly should Red Bull have a title challenger next season. My personal opinion is Hamilton is the only driver Max would find it difficult to outpace on raw speed, such is his level already.

It's a brilliant driver pairing Red Bull have👍

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 08 October 2017 - 07:26.

#10 Waggy

Waggy

• 711 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:25

Malaysia and Japan are a foreshadowing for 2018 I feel. Hamilton vs Verstappen next year, with Ricciardo and Bottas as the second drivers

lol simmer down

#11 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,681 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:26

Says it all really. Pretty close, quali, start or strategy determine the outcome, not pace.

#12 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:27

Can I ask how you calculated that? In a lot of the races without the mechanical failures issues Max had had collision related issues. I couldn’t imagine him sing ahead

#13 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:30

Says it all really. Pretty close, quali, start or strategy determine the outcome, not pace.

Or stupid incident with a clearly slower car that is desperately looking for a fight, even if he knows he is good to lose it.

#14 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,681 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:30

Can I ask how you calculated that? In a lot of the races without the mechanical failures issues Max had had collision related issues. I couldn’t imagine him sing ahead

The question was about when 'both cars started finishing'

Edited by Ivanhoe, 08 October 2017 - 07:31.

#15 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:31

Ricciardo seems to get wackier lately and I wonder if it's to distract himself from him losing this battle.

#16 markelov74

markelov74

• 3,080 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:31

Only Monza was the race affected by a collision

#17 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:32

Only Monza was the race affected by a collision

What about the other races not affected by reliability though? Spain, Singapore etc. 

#18 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:33

The question was about when 'both cars started finishing'

Ah I see. Weird premise. 

#19 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,681 posts

Ricciardo hinting that he possibly had a clutch issue at the start

Edited by Ivanhoe, 08 October 2017 - 07:34.

Advertisement

#20 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

dan shrugging his shoulders in the cool down room said it all really.
Well done Max!

#21 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:34

Ricciardo hinting that he possibly had a clutch issue

All I heard was him saying in an interview that he didn't know if it was himself or the clutch and he'll only know once he looks at the data.

#22 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,681 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:35

All I heard was him saying in an interview that he didn't know if it was himself or the clutch and he'll only know once he looks at the data.

For me that's a hint to a possible clutch issue, no?

#23 spaceace1977

spaceace1977

• 282 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:35

Great race! Bottas chased Ricciardo and Max chased Hamilton..

#24 zanquis

zanquis

• 5,175 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:36

To me ai read both cars started finishing can either be seen as races after Belgium, last mechanical retirement or races after Singapore, last retirement of a RedBull or..

#25 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:36

I don't think he really did. Kind of saying everytime their start is slightly sub optimal they're not sure which it is.

#26 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:37

I'd say that so far it's 50/50 between Dan issue and clutch issue.

#27 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,101 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:38

Nice race by Verstappen. His banzai starts are great and set up the races.

Ric's start wasn't as good, caught outside then blocked by Vettel, giving Ocon the run. After that P3 was as good as it could have been.

#28 Dratini

Dratini

• 2,536 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:40

Ricciardo now with 9 podiums this year, his most ever for a season, and just one behind Webber's Australian record for most in a season.

#29 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:40

Ricciardo seems to get wackier lately and I wonder if it's to distract himself from him losing this battle.

Good point, I noticed that too.

I think it might be because he doesnt want to look like he is concerned. I do think it gets to him more than he shows.

He'll be alright. That quali result on Saturday was needed though.

#30 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,110 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:41

Man, that interview on Sky with Max and Daniel was awesome. Great guys ! I hope after Lewis is done winning (not too soon tho :p) one of them wins the WDC.

#31 Dratini

Dratini

• 2,536 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:43

I do think it gets to him more than he shows.

Just out of curiosity, what evidence is there to suggest this?

#32 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:43

Getting a bit sick of the fake funnyness of Ricciardo.

Dont get me wrong, generally love his sense of humor. But the throwing of towells to Max when Max is speaking at the presco is just childish and frankly misplaced.

We saw what he really thinks of Max when he lost it towards the press in Hungary. So all these kind of water and towell jokes come across as really fake.

#33 MashedPotato

MashedPotato

• 72 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:44

I'd say that so far it's 50/50 between Dan issue and clutch issue.

A certain someone here can spin it to a 100% Max issue.

#34 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,224 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:46

Man, that interview on Sky with Max and Daniel was awesome. Great guys ! I hope after Lewis is done winning (not too soon tho :p) one of them wins the WDC.

Yeah just saw that too. Best teammates ever. Max giving Dan a bit of a hug. Hehe. They both looked pretty happy and joking around. Dan calling the Sky F1 boys muppets in a joking way. Also throwing the expensive mic in the air much to Brundles worry. 😀

Edited by gowebber, 08 October 2017 - 07:47.

#35 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:48

Be interesting to see how their relationship goes if they are battling for the WDC or have more clashes.

Currently they are like Lewis & Nico on the OZ 08 podium...they might end up a bit more like them in their merc days if that happens!

Edited by robefc, 08 October 2017 - 07:48.

#36 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,336 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:49

Yeah I'm not enjoying this over the top clowning side of him. I mean he out qualified his team mate, started ahead, got a decent start and lost in wheel to wheel with his team mate. Had he stayed ahead it could have been him challenging for the win. I would like to see a bit more fire from him, not just a "it was my goal to get a podium so I'm happy". You finished behind your team mate which you could have avoided had you been more robust in your defence and got your elbows out. Where's the honey badger!

#37 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:49

Just out of curiosity, what evidence is there to suggest this?

No hard evidence but some of the jokes right after races are a bit over the top even for his standards.

Just my gut feeling.

Edited by Kao18, 08 October 2017 - 07:50.

#38 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:50

It won't be chummy whatsoever if they are fighting for the championship. Expect it to get frosty and intense pretty quickly.

Edited by PlayboyRacer, 08 October 2017 - 07:51.

#39 Dratini

Dratini

• 2,536 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:52

On the basis of a few people who have taken issue with Dan's clowning around, is it at all possible that he is in fact team-centric and is in high spirits over yet another double podium?

Advertisement

#40 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:53

Dont get me wrong, generally love his sense of humor. But the throwing of towells to Max when Max is speaking at the presco is just childish and frankly misplaced.

We saw what he really thinks of Max when he lost it towards the press in Hungary. So all these kind of water and towell jokes come across as really fake.

Why is a reaction to an incident he felt he was screwed over the "real" feelings towards Max rather than the way he acts when he's not getting screwed by him?.

#41 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,336 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:02

On the basis of a few people who have taken issue with Dan's clowning around, is it at all possible that he is in fact team-centric and is in high spirits over yet another double podium?

Sure it could be. But then he's not WDC material and he's going to get owned by Max next season as well, easily. He out qualified his team mate yet got schooled by him into the first corner. There's nothing there to be ecstatic about. Just given Max the green light to not think twice about overtaking him. Look at Max by contrast, everyone thinks twice about defending against or overtaking him. Dan needs to get his elbows out and needs to do it quickly. Stuff team harmony, it's overrated. Look at Seb vs Webber. Look at Nico vs Lewis. If Dan truly has the speed and ability to not be a No.2 against Max, then he needs to end this compliant side quickly.

#42 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:03

Why is a reaction to an incident he felt he was screwed over the "real" feelings towards Max rather than the way he acts when he's not getting screwed by him?.

Just personal opinion of course, but the way he flipped there was way over the top. 'Sore loser', implies that he thinks Max cant stand being beaten.

He confirmed this basically when he said afterwards that he thinks that Max 'cant accept it when a team mate is in front of him etc'.

To me his comments seem to stretch beyond just the HU incident itself, and seemed moreso a general picture of his beliefs about Max' character.

#43 Radstaker

Radstaker

• 232 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:06

i think the bromance is real, but someone should tell Daniel that it's OK to be disappointed. 

#44 A3

A3

• 32,104 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:08

I guess Dan is lucky Bottas stayed out to help Lewis today, would have been tough to hang on to 3rd.

Edited by A3, 08 October 2017 - 08:11.

#45 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:10

I like Dan, and I'll probably start supporting him after Kimi retires.

But man, he really has his hands full, Max is a tough bastard. And it's not going to get any easier, I hope he gets his starts together and begins challenging him more otherwise it's not really good for his career.

#46 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,224 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:18

Lighten up, would you prefer he throw his toys put of the pram like Vettel. He was right to be livered at Hungary. Anyway everyone has moved on from that.

Dan knows today was just down to the start. Not like its panic stations. If Max had virtually any other teammate other than Lewis he would be wiping the floor with them. Great close battle between two great drivers.

Edited by gowebber, 08 October 2017 - 08:19.

#47 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:18

Just personal opinion of course, but the way he flipped there was way over the top. 'Sore loser', implies that he thinks Max cant stand being beaten.

He confirmed this basically when he said afterwards that he thinks that Max 'cant accept it when a team mate is in front of him etc'.

To me his comments seem to stretch beyond just the HU incident itself, and seemed moreso a general picture of his beliefs about Max' character.

I'd imagine he can't stand being beaten tbh, what top driver does?.

I think it was a normal reaction to being screwed over. I've said and done worse to family and friends when they've screwed me over, it didn't reflect my normal feelings towards them one single bit, it's just frustration basically because of that particular situation they put me in at that time that I didn't appreciate so I let them know about it in no uncertain terms.

Seems silly to think that one small outburst after a bad incident defines more than the plethora of good times we've seen but each to their own I guess.

#48 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:19

I guess Dan is lucky Bottas stayed out to help Lewis today, would have been tough to hang on to 3rd.

Max also got a bit fortunate with Kimi, another tenth and things could have been very different in that battle. 

#49 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,623 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:19

So they won Malaysia. Only 1.2 seconds behind Hamilton in Japan. And both on merit. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year.

Hopefully we will get that epic three way fight next year. And a nice battle between Max and Dan of course.

I am actually starting to feel a bit disappointed whem Seb retires now.

#50 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,870 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:21

I think overall you're counting your chickens a bit soon. Max did have two races he was the stronger driver, but I don't see this huge gap you're suggesting like say Hamilton and Bottas. Seasons are very long.