Dutch Grand Prix in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1663 replies to this topic

#1651 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,055 posts

Posted Yesterday, 18:59

No.
Only surprised how blatant they are and how abusive....

I'm really not seeing any difference to when BE was in charge.

Advertisement

#1652 fastest

fastest

• 490 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:32

Not sure of it is WTCR or Zandvoort that isn't really fit for purpose as WTCR generally promotes slightly less overtaking than F1 at any venue. But Zandvoort really looks like a combination of Monaco and Hungaroring wehn it comes to simlpy providing nowhere to pass. Of course, the short lap will give Max's adoring public more chances to see him roar past in 5th place, which seems to be the point of this whole exercise.

I saw the first race at the Slovakiaring and it provided lots of action. So I don't think WTCR is the problem here. DTM and F3 always saw minimal action at Zandvoort as well.

#1653 fastest

fastest

• 490 posts

Posted Yesterday, 19:52

I have the feeling that going to Zandvoort, at least once, is an approval of Liberty being in F1 to make money.
The current cars by default can't garuantee an exciting race, the utter dominance of Mercedes ant to a lesser extend Ferrari & Red Bull make it even more predictable so wherever you go with the current F1, you're getting dull racing that normally should not attract excited fans anymore.

With the exception of the Dutch of course, see them follow Max all over Europe during the Summer,

So why not go to a venue that't the closest to them? Good chance that, despite a worthless event that is most likely to happen, money is made by Liberty nonetheless and thst's what counts. That they can count their earnings

I honstly don't think LM is making more money at Zandvoort than at any other venue, on the contrary actually. Attendance has nothing to do with it. Attendance only means revenue for the circuit, not for LM. And besides, I think Mexico City has Zandvoort handily beat attendance wise. Zandvoorts max capacity is only 100K. That only leaves the fee to host the GP, and with a fee of only 20 mil per GP, Zandvoort is far from the best paying circuit. I bet a circuit like Yas Marina pays a lot more for instance.

Edited by fastest, Yesterday, 20:04.

#1654 fastest

fastest

• 490 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:17

I'm really not seeing any difference to when BE was in charge.

True, but Ecclestone didn't make any consessions when it came to the quality of F1 events. The events and venues always had a very high standard. Basically, you want to host a GP but you have no grade 1 circuit? Build a state of he art circuit first, then we'll talk. That seems to be different now under LM, with Zandvoort and Hanoi added to the calender.

#1655 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,619 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:21

True, but Ecclestone didn't make any consessions when it came to the quality of F1 events. The events and venues always had a very high standard. Basically, you want to host a GP but you have no grade 1 circuit? Build a state of he art circuit first, then we'll talk. That seems to be different now under LM, with Zandvoort and Hanoi added to the calender.

Yeah, Ecclestone never took F1 to a club racing circuit in the middle of rural Japan, or to an unfinished circuit in rural South Korea, or to a bland container port in Valencia.

#1656 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 2,133 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:24

I saw the first race at the Slovakiaring and it provided lots of action. So I don't think WTCR is the problem here. DTM and F3 always saw minimal action at Zandvoort as well.

Yeah it's the same for F3.

The only positive is that wet conditions are very likely in the Netherlands in May, during the races in Barcelona I haven't seen a spot of rain in years, if Zandvoort will organise it long enough, I bet we will have a wet race sooner than later.

Edited by SonGoku, Yesterday, 20:24.

#1657 fastest

fastest

• 490 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:32

Yeah, Ecclestone never took F1 to a club racing circuit in the middle of rural Japan, or to an unfinished circuit in rural South Korea, or to a bland container port in Valencia.

You're joking right? Both South Korea and Valencia made large investments to secure a GP. And Fuji Speedway is a grade 1 circuit.

You're proving my case with your examples.

Edited by fastest, Yesterday, 20:36.

#1658 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,619 posts

Posted Yesterday, 20:44

You're joking right? Both South Korea and Valencia made large investments to secure a GP. And Fuji Speedway is a grade 1 circuit.

You're proving my case with your examples.

No I'm not joking. South Korea was meant to be a motor city of sorts and what resulted was a marshy wasteland with a circuit drawn up in it.

Valencia was a terrible circuit for all the money thrown at it. It was flat, grey and it didn't produce exciting racing. It was cashing in on the Alonso craze just as Zandvoort will be cashing in on the Verstappen craze.

I never mentioned Fuji Speedway. I was of course referring to TI Circuit Aida (now Okayama International). Those Pacific Grands Prix pretty much came about because Tanaka-san had plenty of spare cash to throw Bernie's way. It was never suitable for Formula 1, and was basically brought up to an acceptable standard in the same way that Zandvoort will be.

#1659 fastest

fastest

• 490 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:01

@PayasYouRace You always want to disagree with me for the sake for disagreeing. For some reason you always want to pick a fight with me. Which is fine, I'm just not going to waste any more energy in replying to you. I'm just going to say that I'd happily choose any of those 3 options over Zandvoort if they were racetracks in Holland.

Advertisement

#1660 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,619 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:16

@PayasYouRace You always want to disagree with me for the sake for disagreeing. For some reason you always want to pick a fight with me. Which is fine, I'm just not going to waste any more energy in replying to you. I'm just going to say that I'd happily choose any of those 3 options over Zandvoort if they were racetracks in Holland.

I'm only pointing out what I see as inconsistency, inaccuracy or bias. Nothing personal.

#1661 fastest

fastest

• 490 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:25

Glad you added the "what I see as" part. I wish we could have Bernie back again instead of these LM clowns, who can't even pronounce the venue they'll be visiting next year. The GP of Zan-der-voort 2020. Yes, I have a lot of faith in these jackasses.

#1662 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,619 posts

Posted Yesterday, 21:27

Glad you added the "what I see as" part. I wish we could have Bernie back again instead of these LM clowns, who can't even pronounce the venue they'll be visiting next year. The GP of Zan-der-voort 2020. Yes, I have a lot of faith in these jackasses.

I knew you couldn't keep to that.

#1663 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 1,125 posts

Posted Today, 13:00

...I wish we could have Bernie back again instead of these LM clowns...

You want a policy of screwing race organisers into the ground so we end up with multiple races under threat of extinction? That is Eccleston's legacy.

#1664 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,055 posts

Posted Today, 21:04

Bernie added many venues to the circus well before they had built a circuit. Some of those were only completed just before the GP was due. Now explain again what Liberty are doing differently to him.