- - - - -

Gran Turismo Sport

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#1001 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 13:52

Glad it's done, 'Ring Gp this week, group 3. I'll be all over that as it's arguably my best track according to my kudos stats. 

There's also Group 1 at Lemans but i feel i need way more time there t learn the track. 

Edited by Alfisti, 29 October 2018 - 13:56.

Advertisement

#1002 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 5,274 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 21:07

I absolutely loved the Gr1 on Lemans race the last time they had it. I put over 1400 km on the TS050 within a day. They rebalanced the LMP1s after that week so hopefully the cars are closer in pace this time, track limits will still be a joke though.

Edited by MikeV1987, 29 October 2018 - 21:07.

#1003 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 01:57

Glad it's done, 'Ring Gp this week, group 3. I'll be all over that as it's arguably my best track according to my kudos stats. 

There's also Group 1 at Lemans but i feel i need way more time there t learn the track. 

Please tell me which car to use!

I am hopeless at the GP 'Ring ... at the end of the straight, I just don't know where to brake, and then where to go ... somewhere to the right, OK Ok OK.... 

I hated bathurst too so maybe I'll learn what to do ... 

I looked at the stats to and I don't get the variance in practice pace ... heck that is nonsense, or have I mis-understood?

Funny thing was my son had an October Beer Fest function at my house - with 20 different beers and such - and some guys wanted to drive on my GTsport setup. So they crashed around in the '86 ... I then set a lap and that was my second best rating ... weird. My best was 303 in the stock  Nissan 300 Z coupe - my first race in GPSport. So I've got worse! 

As for LeMans - I am terrified of it .. in GT4 I only got a silver there in the driver training stuff, racing the Nissan high powered LeMans car ... once I was 2.5 seconds up, and crashed out at the easy and slow Arnage corner, so close to home ... that still makes me nervous ... how could I slide into the grass at 60 KMH an hour? Surely the game did that? Over 15 or 14 years ago I think ... 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 30 October 2018 - 02:03.

#1004 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 09:33

Had some drives and its a roller derby at the moment. Probably because I am not fast enough ... most around me have been running 1:59s in the race, whereas I am running a second or so slower. So a faster driver behind me gets pissed and hits me off the track ... then I gain a penalty, loose time for being off the track, and also for I guess being there ... 

Two races tonight and I got a 4th which was fun as I was just behind and had a two second penalty, I lost third by a tiny margin ... but the next race, I was running 3rd after the leader spun and then later he booted me into the sand - I came 11th or 12th, lost my S for good manners rating and also I got negative driver points! I guess if I see the leader is faster and he spins off then I should just let him through. 

I am learning the car on the track though so if I can avoid slow spots this sort of thing might not happen. It reminds me of Bathurst when I was getting booted off but later on I was faster in the critical bits and keep safe ... so too with Suzuka. I am driving the Audi R8, its pretty quick IMO. Oh yeh my practice lap time is 1:59:670. I was on a mid 1:58 before the race and the game cut me out I was was entering the main straight! The problem is - as before - I need to be fast in the race, not before it.  

Edited by Melbourne Park, 30 October 2018 - 09:40.

#1005 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 14:10

T1 is easy, brake just before the kerbing starts on the left, there's a patch of concrete/grass then kerbing starts, just before it starts hit the brakes hard, hang left then dive right looking for a fast exit. But not on lap 1, hug the inside or get turfed. 

Bit worrying you say you are slow doing 2.00's and 2.01's, that's my race pace. Qualified with a high 59 but I have more in me. 

At this track IMHo it's all about kerbs and exists, i tried the Porsche just because I usually qualify fastest with it but the HIDEOUS changes they made to that car a few months means the TC is terribly intrusive even set to 2, and on 1 I spin. Tried the jag which is outstanding over bumps and same with the Mercedes, the Jag is a touch twitchier so the better qualifying car but the merc my preferred race car. TBH the merc is my best car in Group 3, so stable and strong exits. 

Picked up a win last night with SR A's and S', DR B's and C's. 

#1006 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:51

... At this track IMHo it's all about kerbs and exists, i tried the Porsche just because I usually qualify fastest with it but the HIDEOUS changes they made to that car a few months means the TC is terribly intrusive even set to 2, and on 1 I spin. Tried the jag which is outstanding over bumps and same with the Mercedes, the Jag is a touch twitchier so the better qualifying car but the merc my preferred race car. TBH the merc is my best car in Group 3, so stable and strong exits. 

Picked up a win last night with SR A's and S', DR B's and C's. 

Thanks,

I might try the Mercedes again. Both of them. I've not tried the Jag - I might give it a go. The Audi though is fun as it drifts and I can move it around with the throttle when its a bit beyond its limit. Doing it in the race though likely wouldn't work ... but at this track it still kicks the tail out if I back off ... despite it being I presume a AWD. Why doesn't GT give you all the stats on the car, sometimes there's no information ....

Won't get home till late tonight so maybe not able to race ... maybe the same tomorrow. I'll try if I can. Well done on your win. Right now I am not fast enough to win ,,, although in that fourth place I was very close, but their fastest laps were faster than mine ... I still get upset when someone hits me, but I guess it serves me right if I am not fast enough. But a person you push me aside, I did not run off, and I got back to him - he then ran a bit wide and I drew in front before the chicane that is before the main straight - so I ended up touching him through there - I got demoted to a "A" from my "S" rating ... I'm still learning, for sure ...

Edited by Melbourne Park, 31 October 2018 - 07:57.

#1007 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 13:13

Ok tried the Toyota last night, use that, 100% use that. It moves around a bit but it points in really well. I qualified with a 59.2 and then second lap was a 59.4. Previous bestr was 59.8. I struggled to race with it as it's a bit twitchy but you should be fine, the Merc is too stable for you. 

#1008 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 15:05

Ok tried the Toyota last night, use that, 100% use that. It moves around a bit but it points in really well. I qualified with a 59.2 and then second lap was a 59.4. Previous bestr was 59.8. I struggled to race with it as it's a bit twitchy but you should be fine, the Merc is too stable for you. 

Nah ... its me that's the problem.  have never like the track (GT4 or 6 days) but at this level that hurts.

I did though work out a few corners ...   most especially, I recently found out that u-turn corner, the right hander, I was getting onto the right hand curb far too early and hence coming out slow. But there were lots of corners where I had no idea - where I didn't even know what gear i should be in, or where the car should be.

So, I had some races today. I started with a 4th and a 3rd, in the Audi. I checked my points score and I had 13,700 for the few races I had run. Later on, I had some more races. Lots of crashes and bangs. My score went from that 13,700 to 7800 I think. My consideration rating went from S to C. My driver rating went from top 7% for Asia to top 16%.  :up:  :drunk: And before I quit, they put me on the front of the grid ... no worries, I felt comfortable ... and on that U-turn right hander, the guy behind jumped over the curb, punted me into the sand. I got a 5 seconds penalty too with warnings for speeding too. Sheesh. The japanese driver drove off and won the race. Then I ended up with C drivers, all Japanese, and it was roller derby time. One name typifies them - a Japanese person - Ill_hit_U2. translated: "I'll Hit You too". And he probably hit me despite my desperation to keep it clean. And it was all like that! They'd see the Aussie flag and I was dead meat.  Maybe next time eh!!! 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 03 November 2018 - 10:01.

#1009 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 02:12

Ok had some time yesterday so drove for 30 or so minutes, in the Audi, just trying to relax my hands and body. I started to learn the track. So it started to flow. 

I recall you saying once Alfisti that in the races you were going slow in fast out. Being good at that technique really pays off at the F1 Nurburgring track IMO. And also it launches you onto straights where you can safely overtake. Plus there's less risk of hitting the vehicle in front of you. 

I enjoy the quick corners and playing with with the car on its edge, which is a quite different from what I think one needs to get around this track. Anyhow was I soon was running 1:59s every lap in practice, and I had a few good races although I threw away the a third place by getting tense and lost my flow and slowed down and was overtaken on the straight by a few hundredths. Some mid 1:59s in the race too although better than that in a race is not on yet for me. 

But then I noticed the ABS light flashing red all over the track, and i thought that must be slowing me down. So I got the teflon can out and sprayed the brake pedal. The act of a genius, clearly. The brakes then felt super light and the red ABS kept flashing too. Please replace the earlier sentence's use of the word "genius" with "idiot". So I heavied up the brakes by turning their adjustment screw - and they felt better, but I did not calibrate them, but great! - No flashing ABS light. And I was half a second a lap slower! 

I have an upgrade kit for the brakes so I am going to do that soon now and calibrate the brakes, and see how things go. Maybe I will get a couple of races in tonight. I also have to stiffen the pedal base too as it flexes a touch - it should be easy to do, I hope to do that when I upgrade the brake pedal kit. 

I am starting not to hate the track but my braking - basically all around the key braking places - is all over the place, so it might be fun to at least find out if I can improve with a stiffer setup. i think the reason I've improved recently is that now I mostly know the racing line and I can recover whiles't before I had no idea what to do next after running wide or braking too early etc. I've got back to a B skill set but barely, and I think my consideration has gone up to A. Sheesh after one day I went from a mid B skill set and a consideration S rating, to a C & C rating. I guess it pays to practice before racing.

The game says too its going to introduce penalty spots along the track and the game will make you stop shortly after making a penalty and the game will make it happen. So no punting people off are getting in the lead and then driving off into the distance and having a gap bigger than your penalty. I just hope that the penalties are properly awarded/given!! 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 04 November 2018 - 06:24.

#1010 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 14:06

It's my best track on the game, I struggle with fast flowing corners as my inputs are very harsh with a pad. So this track works as it's mostly brake hard, swing in, gas hard out. Repeat.

I qualified with a 59.2, beat I could do.

Not so enthused by this week's races.

#1011 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 20:01

I think your amazing getting those times with a controller. I think Forza is supposed to be faster with one rather than a wheel. You should be driving Forza!!! I'll have to have a look at this weeks races. My pattern is to be slow and go badly, or go OK and then not improve so I get frustrated and doubt my skill and age, then very late, I get it a bit together. I'd have like another week at F1 'ring actually, I got safe around eventually there but did not unlock the track, its still hiding its secrets from me. I did drive the Lamborghini there though  and it was huge fun. I should have raced it but in practice it was a bit slower than the Audi, but hugely safe and it was sliding everywhere, it might have been good in the race, who knows. 

I haven't been racing for long but the F1 Nurb was my worst so far, but I look forward to seeing it again.

The area which I am weakest at is the section after the right hand at the end of the main straight. You come off the main straight and I can do that OK if I brake properly, and I seem OK in the first curve off the straight but I am not on fully throttle, I am feeding the power in but as soon as I think the car is stable I flatten it and I think I loose speed due to wheel spin there. Then I am in second and I am not getting the next left apex right, I tend to come in too early for it and hence I hurt my line and go too early towards the right of the track, and I avoid that curbing as I am scared of running even a whee bit over it. When the car is able to take full power off that left apex I give it it full power and grab third gear, for a short time as then I have the 270 degree (or something like that) left hander, and I also tend to turn too early there and hence I am not far enough to the left to open up the critical next corner.

Once I almost jackknifed the car coming off that next left apex heading to the right hander which leads to that short straight - but I caught the car and the corner opened up and I grabbed I reckon 7/10ths. I followed an A+ guy there and he catapulted away in that area. And he also ran way way left after the right hand apex leading onto the straight. Can you view a race afterwards? I'd like to learn the fast lines that way ... When I have shaved that right hand apex by crossing the cobble stones corner (apex) too much, I get a penalty. And if I run wide to the left, I get one too. But there's a way to avoid both and get high exit speed there. So suddenly a 1;58 something becomes a 1:57 something just there ... but darn I never figured it out.  

Before I started this game and bought my pedals etc, I watched a video of Hamilton driving your Benz I think at Suzuka - not sure. Sheesh I should have tracked that down when I was learning for the track two weeks ago at Suzuka. Anyway he said to the CEO of GT, Yamauchi Kazunoriu, who was there for half a day - with the translator - with Hamilton driving GT Sport, Hamilton commented that Yamauchi should try loosing his hands on the wheel and driving with less grip and with light fingers. What a tip eh!!! Oh yeh Hamilton got a fast time pretty quickly and then started crashing ... but then later, he got the best time there for the category, evidently by some margin. No surprises there I guess. He's pretty goo there in real life. I have never liked Hamilton but that video changed my mind!! So I tried this light fingers thing a couple of days ago - don't grip the wheel hare ever - at the F1 'Ring and it make a big difference, and heck the car felt more alive and it was a big step up in fun and also a huge difference in speed like for instance at in between corners seven and eight, that straight after tight corner 6 - with light hands the car tracks around by itself and its now always fast despite my poor entry, I had to get it right before but with loose hands there the car is just fast. I need to make my wheel more direct too, I tend to not wind enough lock on when understeering, instead I tend to back off the throttle, and its been hurting my pace here and there. 

Sorry for the long post I should be banned for being over verbose.  :blush:  :blush:

I had a horrendous experience again too with manner "s" drivers from Japan - I started third on the grid, it as all Japanese but for an A+ Chinese driver at the front, who would drive away. At the first corner, the first two both did not start the corner from the left, they went around defensively by being in the middle of the track. So I braked early and went around almost touching them. So along came two cars from behind us going faster, and I just let them through. Then another guy came and avoided him and he pushed my car too - OK, I hope I did not loose manner points. So I was sixth. And I just sat there on their tales for two laps, they were diving all over the place, and the leader drove off and was soon out of site. So lap three one of these guys took a hit from the other guy and off they went, but they managed to keep going fast. I cruised by though on straight and they guy then hits me from behind and I can't make the hairpin - I drove straight into the bailing. The game put me back straight away though and I passed the guy - but then another guy cleaned me up at the end of the main straight. I pulled out, it was no fun at all. I'd like to avoid Japanese drivers but previous "S" drivers have been great. Weird. That race cost me a lot of points I think I would have been 15,500 or so, but still got 13,700 I think. My consideration "S" became a "B" after that one race. I had another couple of races later on and did well and now I am an "A" for manners. But boy the Jap guys can be crazy.

I hope the revisions to the game realise that if you hit someone from behind when you have been accellerating, and that your foot has not been on the brake for some time before the hit, the guy in front is not brake testing, its the car behind that is at fault. 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 04 November 2018 - 20:27.

#1012 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 19:32

The whole hit in the arse then a penalty thing is insane, NFI why they made that change a few months ago. 

#1013 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 00:30

We had a holiday yesterday (Monday) and one today (Melbourne Cup horse race holiday) and its pouring with rain ... the mud larks will win and no one knows who will enjoy heavy conditions, I guess a horse from Europe.

Yesterday I spent some time - I had a couple of races and things felt quite slow, I had the usual balls ups in the first corner and got hit off later, but I couldn't recover. The same lack of speed - even worse - in the next race. My scores were tumbling ... so I drove the car around the track with the view from behind. I use that view to earn money - I drive around Blue Moon Bay in the British little track car and one gets $360,000 and over 8,260 of those other points. it takes 13 minutes I think. But I use the rear view  because cars will hit you from behind otherwise you loose the 50% bonus. So I used that view on the Audi at F1 Nurb and i found out the brakes were on all the time. Hah hah .. so I went to calibration, and I couldn't get rid of the brakes being on all the time. So I hardened up the settings on the brakes and then fixed, no brakes on. I also found there was an upgrade to the wheel. 

So to the track, and wow ... the car was the same under brakes but felt freer. Also the wheel has magnets in it for rumble - and they suddenly were working on GT Sport. So I can now feel the road! I was a bit faster too ... then I played with the brake balance and 3rd lap got a 1:58.07 - I then went to race - and the game had switched to Interlagos. Bummer. Even worse, the better time was not recorded ... a 1:57 something was definitely there. 

OK maybe I'll practice at Interlagos before racing because I think getting hit all the time and driving slow does no good for your scores and you end up with Kamakazee japanese students who love hitting people of the track.

There is a time for an upgrade today I think so maybe after that the game will be different too. I'll make a comment on any differences I find. I guess I'll have to race before I know the track to identify any changes though. The upgrade is in a few hours.

#1014 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:02

I am not a fan of interlagos bit I am slow at suzuka and despise Fuji..... So interlagos it is.

#1015 NixxxoN

NixxxoN

• 1,443 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 13:34

Catalunya is a surprisingly technical track, all about managing throttle and gear changes

#1016 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 20:17

It's a proper race track, all they need to do is fix the last bit that's very "mickey mouse".

Had some good races at interlagos last night, getting better there and qualy is down to a 1.34.5 but was surprised by a couple of races where I was racing with folks who qualified considerably faster than i did. But good races, a few nudges but nothing intentional or too aggressive for the most part. i do need to be faster into the double right hander though, i get passed there too often. 

#1017 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 16:27

Tried the Aston at Interlagos, it's really good there. The TC is not too intrusive, it's stable and straight line speed is excellent. Doesn't turn in as crisply as some other cars but you can steer it a bit with the throttle. 

Qualy time stayed at 1.34.5 but ran a 34.0 in a race. Here's a pretty good race, first few laps anyway. And yes on lap 3 I intentionally let the two porsches battle, braked a bit early and figured at least one would **** it up.  

https://youtu.be/BbLSq0B0yl4

#1018 baddog

baddog

• 26,453 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 21:28

The whole hit in the arse then a penalty thing is insane, NFI why they made that change a few months ago. 

People were using brake-checks to win races over and over. But I can say its an improvement.

#1019 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 00:28

I've have been at Interlagos and have had some fun and many adventures.

Started off with my off with the cars jumping all over the place, I think I won but then I got my pit starting place.

Next race: some cars jumping too. My wheel wasn't responding - on the grid. So I restarted the wheel, and lost quite a lot of ground. 

Next race: some jumping around too which seemed to include me - and yes, Confirmed - it did include me. I was stationary at the start not rolling forward - and when I got going, I was in reverse. Yep ... I lost a few place there all right.

Next race - no worries. Having a dice with a considerate driver - he got by, I got by ... coming third and my dicing partner not far behind. My TV announces its going to turn off as its on a timer. Hmm ... this is another dilemma. So I called into the pits and the TV went out, I turned it on - and it connected up when I was still in the fairly long pits. Lost quite a bit though. Worse thing was my diving partner must have thought I crashed. Darn. Not good for the points either. 

Another race - 3rd on the grid, a good start - a change being 3rd that as I have been getting slower not improving - and some chap behind ran into the back of me at full speed at the first corner. He got 7.5 seconds penalty. I got 3 seconds penalty for being rammed off the track. And coming back onto it in 12th or 13th placer. Hmm ...

Not a great place for me but I do enjoy the track. The Porsche is rock solid here. The Benz is too but it can kick the tail out but only in a race. I tend to run wide at the first high speed corner, loosing places and also incurring time penalties. With all the cars around the same speed the only action is really the first two corners and that is a lottery, due to the game not working right until the cars get separated. Its farcical IMO. 

Its not worth racing unless you have a "A' manner rating i reckon - its crazy back in C and B manners land.

Should have gone to France or Catalunya. I got a 1:33.89 on my fourth lap at this South American track and have hardly improved, while everyone else has. Starting driving the Porsche because it fun at this track. In my slow hands I've seen a possible 1:33 flat but I cannot link up the curves, I tense up and slow down. need to learn to keep those hands loose and relax. Also learn to overtake on the inside ... I went to the outside to avoid someone - I got a 2.5 second penalty and lost several places. Hmmm - I guess I should have braked and hit him/she. Another race I also was avoiding a stationary car which froze at the start. Last lap I had pressure behind - thank goodness, a 2nd place for me at last ... I needed it. So I drove through the stationary car (as I did the previous lap). It was solid though - I spun, copped a big penalty, probably broke my neck too,  and came 9th.

Edited by Melbourne Park, 09 November 2018 - 01:45.

Advertisement

#1020 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:34

Try the Aston or Lexus, Porsche slow on straight and nervous on kerbs.

#1021 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:46

Hahaha last race of the week for me, tried the Lexus. Improved quality to a 34.1, lined up third, second bailed, first qualified two seconds faster than me but I pressured him out of the s curves and he binned it.

Win my only race this week. Ha!

#1022 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 14:57

Last night was the most fun i have had in this game. With so many Porsche's it is fun to go with the Aston which has better traction, is calmer on the kerbs and has a TON more power. They are faster in S2 but I pas sand re-pass into T1 and the end of the back straight. In saying that I picked up my only win in the Lexus, first time out. 

This is the best group racing i have ever had, though i kept messing up the last turn which i had been strong on all night. But WHAT a race from start to finish, immense.

Then this is the absolute best one on one fight i've ever had, three laps of swapping positions back and forth. i am dreadful into the double right hander and he knew it, i also knew he was taily coming out of the S curves.

Edited by Alfisti, 09 November 2018 - 14:59.

#1023 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 00:29

Oooh I'll have a look.

I have been driving the Porsche as I find it easiest to drive. My pole time is 1:33:531 in the Porsche but my lap times in the race are typically mid 13:4 or so. 

I think I can improve because I have realised that I always start well, play safe then and hence loose a place for certain at the first chicane corner, where I am not bad. So I am going to try going hard at the start. 

My manners rating has gone back to "B" and I have found in this game there is a negative correlation between my scoring ability points and my driving fairly. I had an Aussie guy who pushed me in the tail and I had let someone else through, and I had had enough. So I compromised my lines and planned on him hitting me, and boy he did. Then he got inside me and hit me, but i reckon the game knew what was going on, and I stayed on the track. I ended up with a penalty for driving off the track but I did beat him in the race. Maybe one just has to drive like a dick head against dick heads.

I might try the Lexus - i think its performance was adjusted upwards. But I found it early on - and the Aston - quite touchy coming out of the bends. Maybe I will give it a go with some TC turned on. I think the lack of TC is hurting me at this south american track. Not sure why. Besides my lack of ability. 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 10 November 2018 - 00:33.

#1024 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:51

See I find the porsche edgy coming out of corners. I can nail the Aston and can hit the gas pretty hard on the Lexus but the rsr either bogs down like it's in mud with tc on or I spin with it off.

Gotta get your Sr to A, anything worse and its a **** show.

And turn the tc on ffs, they race with it in real life.

Edited by Alfisti, 10 November 2018 - 02:52.

#1025 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:07

See I find the porsche edgy coming out of corners. I can nail the Aston and can hit the gas pretty hard on the Lexus but the rsr either bogs down like it's in mud with tc on or I spin with it off.

Gotta get your Sr to A, anything worse and its a **** show.

And turn the tc on ffs, they race with it in real life.

OK yeh and the 13:05x was with it on 1. It is faster but I thought that ultimately it isn't, but who has the time? 

The Porsche feels a lot faster to me than the Aston, I did 13 laps in the Aston, the first 5 with TC on 3, then another with TC on 2, then another few with TC on 1. My best time was with TC on 2. But a 1:34:21x ... but I did not feel I had a whole lot left. It was very good though where you were overtaking, on that left hander after the first straight after the starting chicane. The Lexus does feel quick but I only had one and a half laps then had to go. But the issue for me is that I seem to get to a wall ie I might drive a car lets say at this track at in practice consistent high 1:34s, but I seem to not go beyond any hope of much lower speeds ... when I push I then seem to be overdriving.

My issue with the Porsche is that there is one corner which is costing me a fair bit ... that very tight 180 degree Bico de Paco corner ... I would like to be able to push the throttle hard there, skip the tail out, and then ease onto full power ... but instead of the tail shift out, the front of the car just pushes forwards and I run wide. I may decrease the turns my wheel requires, because I should be able to kick the tail out if I rap some heavy steering angle on and then blip the throttle. Somehow I have to work that out and then I would be both safer and quicker too. Other cars don't behave so badly on that corner. Besides that I do like the Porsche at this track. My other issue is I am slower in the race, not sure why either ... but some others seem to have the same issue at this place. But not all ... 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 10 November 2018 - 05:11.

#1026 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 14:35

Getting a bit bored with Group 3 but this week is Catalunya and i don't mind that track at all . Be interesting to see if no-stopping works given the absolute BEATING the front left takes around this track. 

#1027 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 19:28

• Another learning experience for me coming up, the G.4 track looks to have too many corners to my liking. I don't think I know either track. So I'll learn give Catalunya a go because at least its a testing track in F1 and hence should be interesting for testing differences in cars.
    I had some good races at Interlagos but not many actual races. I now go around the track with restrictive revs with the TC on 3. Then I start to open it up and do a few more - uo to 5 (at Interlagos anyhow where the laps don't take long); then 5 more at TC 2 and then without TC. At Interlagos I found it easier to drive with TC off than having it set on 1. But at setting TC 2 I was faster as I could put a whole lap together better. I drove the Porsche, I just found it easiest.
  •  
  • I found that there are some corners where with TC off the car can really drift and wobble around with the power on, and if it can be controlled its a lot faster. For instance at corner 6 - Ferradura . you come from a short straight and turn right -  I have had the car wobbling sideways there with the power on and cutting the corner - hugely fast too - but could not tie a lap together. Typically I would approach the next tight left corner where you need to keep your left tyres on the left curbing - but whenever I touched the brakes there, I would loose way too much speed ... once I had the tail out there with the car still fast - but I spun out.  I reckon that is how the top drivers must drive the cars - really all out. It would take some practice and talent and knowledge of the car and then the game and the track.
  • Alfisti I ended up with TC - I listened to your "FFS" - on in the race and I was a lot faster due to no major mistakes. Also when I got bumped, I did not spin which really helped. With TC off I almost always spun after a bump. Had quite a few 133.8s and 1:33.9s in the races too. TC though does seem to have some arcade feel for me but then with it off in the race the car is far more liable to interference, at least at Interlagos.TC though was a fair bit slower at the high speed chicane at the end of the starting straight though, but seondary to getting the line right. And the Aston was fast at that next corner 3 all right.
    I had a good race sitting 0.4 behind a driver in an Aston, and he was quick on that corner. I could have bump passed him but I payed him respect but he never made a serious error so we crossed the line with 0.4 difference,  he enjoyed the win, 5 laps with me on his ass would not have been easy if I had of been in his place. I felt good about leaving him alone.  He commented after the race but I still don't know how to make replies to people after a race.
    Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by Melbourne Park, 12 November 2018 - 20:24.

#1028 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 19:42

The TC is REALLY intrusive on some cars, on the RSR it's horrible and bogs it down but I need it, on the Aston and the merc it's like it's not there other than I am not spinning. 

#1029 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 20:33

The TC is REALLY intrusive on some cars, on the RSR it's horrible and bogs it down but I need it, on the Aston and the merc it's like it's not there other than I am not spinning. 

I wonder too if its the track? Like at Bathurst where I drove he Merc, I was much faster with it off ... but I don't think I knew how to turn it on and off in the race then ... now, I'd try maybe at the cutting _ that corner which leads onto the main Conrod straight. But with the Audi at Suzuka, if I eased onto the throttle, it was definitely faster at low speeds without TC ... but I ended up using TC in the Audi at the 270 degree very slow corner, because it was so reliable to do so. I'd like a button to hit to just turn it on and off on my wheel. But I have to use a lever, and its not yet automatic for me to use that lever, plus if its on "2", I'd have to hit it twice. Then go back and set it onto off ... my wheel isn't yet fully supported on the PS4. If it was I could program some of its buttons to do that. Its a gorgeous wheel though and the first time I used it, I was way way faster than a wheel that should have been just as fast . 

Got to say too, GT Sport should allow us to change the gearing on these fixed spec cars. The Porsche gearing for me that critical corner 3 - Starting straight -  chicane corner 1 - chicane corner 2 - then the critical corner 3 left hander - first was too high a gear and second gear mean't I would often overcook the corner. I ended up putting in first, and then into second for the corner ... if 1st was higher, I could have handled that corner a lot more consistently. The Aston probably just had better gearing. 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 12 November 2018 - 20:55.

#1030 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 00:01

MP what's your psn name? Also I replied to your comments on the Dr thread on gt planet.

#1031 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:20

blitztoo is my sony name.

My son set up my account with me there .... hmm that may have very early ps3 time. Named by my son whose race dinghy was called Blitztoo. The earlier boat was called Blitz. I got the name to play Ratchet and Clank. That game is just about the only thing on the Playstation platform where I can competently use the hand controller.

I'd like to change it though ... suggestions welcome.

Nothing too offensive please ... 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 13 November 2018 - 05:04.

#1032 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 14:07

This is you?

https://www.kudospri...profile=6968068

It looks like you had a bad day (day 26) where you crashed a bit and it was enough for the game to punish you and dropped you down a ton of DR points. 

This is me https://www.kudospri...profile=5619144 and you can see that has happened to me twice, days 64 and 81. 

You're at day 35, at that point I had 2,000 less DR points than you, you're clearly faster (11 wins in 179 races vs my 18 in 400 races) but you fail to finish at more than twice the rate I do, that's WORSE than finishing dead last, there's the reason your DR is low. 

#1033 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 01:47

Yep that's me.

I'm faster because of my wheel. I reckon you'd eat me alive with a decent wheel and brake setup. Plus you're a smarter racer. I am no longer so dumb, but I have a long way to go. And I don't enjoy racing when guys around me are faster or worse they are hitting me and getting away with doing so. But I don't respond anymore but its cost me a lot of places but at the end of the day its just a game I guess ...

My concentration is also still out of practice ... I am yet to be 100% focused in a race ... I am more like 80-90% focused. I assume I'll get there, and if not, then alzheimers has started already. And I am not clinical when racing yet.  I get annoyed at the jerks out there. I  sometimes wish I knew their ages because I often think they are 15 year testosterone filled gaming dudes out for annihilation the way they behave.  I wish I could comment to them after the race too. Once a good racer who bumped me off, he apologised - he say "@blitztoo - sorry". I felt a lot better. He came second. I came 8th to 12th!! . 

About the non finishers, many of those have been my internet. But the game punishes me anyway. I've been in several races and just got disconnected. The game says in black background and white text that "You've been disconnected from the Network" or words to that effect. No kidding Sherlock!!! But despite recording a network failure, GT Sport assumes I pulled the plug - and it punishes me for withdrawing. Disconnections have not happened for several days now though. I had got out the cable internet guys, who said it should be better now. But I still have only 5 out of the 6 parameters in the games internet check pass the standard required. If I am at the first corners, I almost always would run wide and the car feels super vague on the first two to four corners ... so now, I slow down for the first corner, and always I loose one or two places. It even happens if I am #1 or #2 car. By the second lap the game seems OK though. But I always have to be ready to catch the car due to some type of internet hiccup ... 

Another issue I have found is that my wheel or the wheelbase plays up, and the brakes start coming on. Not strongly, but it does slow me down. So now, I re-start the wheel before a race. And if I leave the track, the wheel looses its connection to the game ... I have to re-start the wheel again ... so if some dude pushes me off, I have often had to restart the wheel, which looses another 10 seconds and for that time the car is out of control, and I've copped bad manners points when under that no control situation. 

So my hardware plus the internet have been the reasons I've not finished. Until the next internet failure I'll be finishing all my races. Unless my wife demands me to do something !!! 

So using TC seems to have stopped me from leaving the track in a major way so its double insurance. But around this Barcelona track, having TC off on the Porsche seems at the moment to be way way faster ... but as usual one is far more likely to have a big mistake without any TC. I suspect I'll race with TC off, and maybe switch it  on before the twisty bits that are before the chicane which is before the start line straight. Who knows ... Funny thing is that at Bathurst (I used the Mercedes SLR) and at Suzuka (I used the Audi) the Porsche felt slow. Perhaps I have got used to the Porsche though ... but at Barcelona it feels very quick. I can loose the tail a bit though, but the solution is simply to wait until the car is straight before giving it full power. 

I don't want to race until I have a reasonable qualifying lap because I am just too vulnerable at 8th or 9th place with my slow first corner driving. I also want to get back to "S" for sportsmanship as the drivers are not nut cases like they sometimes are when carrying a "C" classification. So I intend to race maybe tonight or tomorrow and get manners points and then it will be more fun ... I have got my pool working these last few days rejuvenating everything and am having stuff built outside too, and with other things haven't had much time for GT Sport. 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 14 November 2018 - 08:14.

#1034 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 10:42

OK I did some point tallying and hmm ... its still confuses me.

I had two races tonight at Barcelona in the Porsche, with NN on ("NN" is my in car name for TC now Alfisti) - set to 2. 

So the first race I was 2nd on the grid and there were a couple of A drivers there and counting the As and Bs there were 10 of them. So I thought I need to finish 9th. The game had 12 finishers but some of the cars were shimmering on the grid and some of those images remained, but it seemed the guys still raced. Any how I got away clean and led after the first corner - after the first lap I was maybe 1.5 seconds up. This was my first race at Barcelona, so I then turned the fuel down after the second grandstand straight - I had also forgotten where the laps left gauge was but by the fourth lap I knew all about it. So I was full gas on the main start straight, back it off for the rest of the lap. Cars pitting about lap 5 and I thought I could make the finish but only if the gauge was working and if the tyres did not suddenly let go. I was 8 seconds up with three laps to go, 4.5 with 2 laps to go and I had a close call with the fuel. I won by 2 seconds,  a clean race with no real errors, with 0.3 laps of fuel left.

I scored 16489 points for that single race.  :clap:

You beaut - I'll have another race and see what happens - maybe its more fun to pit and race quickly? So this time, only 6 B drives including me. No "A" drivers (this refers to their track speed not their manners), but their manners were S and A mostly. And I was on the pole ... so I started cleanly, played safe through the first corner, but got away and after the first lap had a comfy lead. So I started then to turn the fuel down for everywhere but the main starting straight, where I was full bore. But I had the fuel economy turned down to only 3 units ie more than half down. And behind me, they started to gain on me ... and soon a WRX and a Porsche were close behind. By lap three. And what a pain I was ... because I had the good 'Ol track position at Barcelona ... you gotta be a fair bit faster to get by. And at the end of the main starting straight at the start of the fourth lap, the WRX took me inside at that S bend at the end of that straight. Just as I was turning the fuel down under brakes ... not to worry though - he was pretty ragged and I stuck behind him on little fuel use, and used his draft to save fuel.

Then came the Porsche ... he really wanted to get by too ... so he ran into me at the end of the 2nd decent straight - La Caixa - corner 10. Not all his fault either as I was trying to be gentle on the tyres and I was slower than him. But I stayed on the track and in front. The fuel was down and then as I turned up the fuel leading onto the main straight, my friend who was saving me fuel in the WRX ahead as I stuck in his wind shadow - he went into the pits ... and so did the Porsche. At the end of lap 5. I had heaps of fuel left. I knew I could make it again.

I then started to fiddle with putting the fuel up on that 2nd straight in between turn 9 and turn 10. But as I turned it down approaching turn 10 one lap, I forgot to brake ... I ran right off the end of the track ... I just rejoined ... and I got NO PENALTY. Wow ... a lap later too I half ran onto the sand entering the main straight as I had just turned the power onto full and the car bounced open with maybe more slippery tyres and I ran wide ... I almost stopped but no worries ... I won by 2 seconds again but this time with almost a lap of fuel, and I finished on a full power setting. But boy it was a very stressful race with a fear of the tyres going right off, and all the fiddling and thinking about the fuel and my lead. 

So I went and checked for a HUGE point score ... but my score increased from the 16489 points - to 17,384. So ... for the second win, I scored a measly 895 points for my second win. :( Sheesh that win was harder than the first one guys ... so to get up to Alfisti's level of 26,000 ... I'd have to win another 10 long races. No thanks and that was enough for the night. 

Edited by Melbourne Park, 14 November 2018 - 10:52.

#1035 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 16:57

It's all about who you are paired with, what was your qualy time.

My SR was 99 and being matched with a WALL of S, A+ and A drivers. It was brutal, I had absolutely NO PACE compared to the rest of the field, 4 seconds a lap was the delta in qualifying time. I lost 1800 points in three races, I cannot race with those guys, just too fast. I qualied with a 49 flat but I have 48's in me somewhere. These guys are qualifying with 45's and 46's ... gimmie a break. 

#1036 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 5,274 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 18:19

Once you are SR 99 you start racing with the big boys.  Most of these guys are fast and they make no mistakes, it's really tough.

Edited by MikeV1987, 14 November 2018 - 18:19.

#1037 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 19:17

So now I am 97 will that re-set me to normal? 

They freakin' smoked me. 

#1038 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 19:19

My SR was 99 in the second race, maybe in the first race, I forget. I also earned over $100,000 for the second race win yesterday, but got few driver points for that second win. Strange I don't think I earned much money for the first win.

Sony seem to think prize money maters and is important. Like for Asia/Oceana, if you join VW you get $20,000 play money ... which is a laughable incentive. What are they on about??? 

Why can't the game give a race by race tally of all points and events your involved in - prize money for each race included, and penalties for each race, touching other cars, etc etc for every single race. 

My qualifying time is currently 01:47.834 and I can run run before the race pre-qualifying consistent 1:48.4's with TC on 2. In the Porsche. I would be slower in other cars although I haven't given the others anything but a couple of laps. I tried the toy or lexus car you had on your board Alfisti but it felt slow to me. The Audi was quicker  but it was moving around a fair bit through the S curves while the Porsche felt very planted and I used it last races so i stuck with that. I tired the SLS Benz and the Viper but they all felt slow compared to the Porsche so I stuck with it. It does bog down in a couple of corners but if you keep the revs high it only happens if I really stuff up the corner. I can loose the Porsche on TC 1 though - don't know why as I am pretty solid with TC off in the Porsche. But its harder work with TC off. I am faster with it off coming out onto high speed curves - the entry to them - but I can overcook it in the middle of a high speed curve under power and the tail hangs out and then if I don't back off or properly correct the oversteer I'll loose it. But I can't fiddle with the TC while fiddling with the fuel because i am not good enough and also my wheel cannot be configured to buttons to do that easily because its not recognised by the game at the moment. 

I have normally learned a track OK by the last few days and am more competitive then in the last few days of the week, and then my skill curve goes up. But it takes me quite a while to get competitive even in my low quality arenas. . But this time instead of having a few races and being belted up and loosing sportsmanship ratings and being in a hell hole (which you seem to have entered Alfisti), I spent the time learning the track better by not racing. I didn't think I'd have a race last night either but i had an hour or so and I could not resist. 

So Alfisti if you're in with S and A+ guys the qualifying time cannot be putting you there because over 1:59 is a bigger gap than we normally have. I  can see a 1:46 coming if I spent some time as I haven't worked out all the corners yet. I know there are not many but I still am rough around most of them. I reckon though that the differences in the cars might be bigger at Barcelona, I reckon the Porsche is quick there, and perhaps there are some other cars that go quicker there than at other places. 

Its more fun being down the scale though ... phew I have raced S and A+ but not a group of them. Yesterday evening was great fun but I suspect I'll soon crash and burn. In my second race I shouldn't have stayed out, if I'd driven flat out and pitted, I'd probably have got pole, fastest lap, no incidents and maybe then I'd have got a better score. I wouldn't have run off he track fiddling with fuel levels if I had of been driving flat out either. Maybe those excursions hurt my score too? But I thought behind me there might be a sleeper driving on low fuel settings and that as soon as I pitted that possible car would turn it up and I'd loose. I was wrong about that though.

I should quit Barcelona now - i have a 100% win record there!!! I'm gonna retire while I am in front!!! 

Might be my last win ever in the game, who knows ...

Edited by Melbourne Park, 14 November 2018 - 19:36.

#1039 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 19:39

And how much time do you loose when you take a pitstop at the current Barcelona track?

Advertisement

#1040 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 20:29

Yeah the Porsche appears the meta car for this track, i will try it tonight and will hope that my slight drop to 97SR puts me against some equal opposition, 4 to 5 seconds in qualy is a big gap. 

NFI how much time you lose in pits but not a ton compared to other tracks and the front left gets hammered. 

#1041 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 5,274 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 20:34

So now I am 97 will that re-set me to normal?

They freakin' smoked me.

I’m pretty sure people with 90-99 SR gets matched together

#1042 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 20:56

Bloody hell i thought 99 was special or something. I'm gonna go hit something to get below 90, i can't race these guys. 

#1043 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 20,511 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 22:13

Bloody hell i thought 99 was special or something. I'm gonna go hit something to get below 90, i can't race these guys. 

Sheesh I'm 99 at the moment, looks like my next race will be more difficult.

If that's manners its still pretty mixed.

I reckon you are almost an "A" driver Fisti so they are giving you a taste of the "real thing". If you don't do great then that might be part of not becoming an "A". But do well and I guess you'll become an "A" level driver.

Edited by Melbourne Park, 14 November 2018 - 23:06.

#1044 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 23:43

Nah I'm not. At 25000 points I'm still 25000 from a level. I'm a low b, medium b on a few tracks I like.

#1045 baddog

baddog

• 26,453 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:15

Yeah I suffer from an sr outpacing my dr.. I get taken to the cleaners by good AS drivers. I also cant keep my SR out of the S ranking, I just dont like driving dirty :/

#1046 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,272 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:55

Lost near 1,000 points per race last night. My Sr never drops because I have no one to race with! They all clear off leaving me for dead.

Two nights ago my first three Catalina races were great, really close rustles, then my Sr hit s and I've been massacred.