Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

2021 engine formula: political wrangling, technical details, aesthetics...

• Please log in to reply
3717 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick and choose! (441 member(s) have cast votes)

Extra 3000rpm?

1. Yay (398 votes [90.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.25%

2. Nay (43 votes [9.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.75%

More prescriptive engine design, standard energy store etc

1. Yay (227 votes [51.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.47%

2. Nay (214 votes [48.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.53%

Removing MGU-H, more tactical use of MGU-K

1. Yay (328 votes [74.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 74.38%

2. Nay (113 votes [25.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#3701 RA2

RA2

• 1,047 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 13:48

Also they should mandate flow straightners at the diffuser end 

Honeycomb-Grid-Disk-Air-Flow-Light-Diffu

Advertisement

#3702 RA2

RA2

• 1,047 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 13:52

Spec/standard will kill this sport. If you want F1 to remain F1 you better oppose anything spec/standard, we do not need another Indycar in any form. Bargeboards are getting ridiculous because with current formula that is the area that is left free by reg and make difference in performance. With undorbody aero it will be more about whole car plus they can always restrict the number of bits and elements on the upper side of the body. Calling for spec/standard quickly like that is just lacking though

I like restricted areas of development, but it makes the sport more expensive. Teams chase very small gains in critical areas in a development restricted formula

#3703 Pingguest

Pingguest

• 689 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 19:37

Ever since the reign of Mac Mosley, it has been tried to reduce the result of investments. This would allow teams to cut budgets, but does it? I believe it does not. As return is effectively set - i.e. winning the race and the championship later on - a bigger investment is needed.

#3704 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 16,704 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 20:08

Spec/standard will kill this sport. If you want F1 to remain F1 you better oppose anything spec/standard, we do not need another Indycar in any form. Bargeboards are getting ridiculous because with current formula that is the area that is left free by reg and make difference in performance. With undorbody aero it will be more about whole car plus they can always restrict the number of bits and elements on the upper side of the body. Calling for spec/standard quickly like that is just lacking thought.

Obviously a statement from someone who has never watched Indycar. There's never enough Indycar.

Actually in seriousness, I find the previous statement "you better oppose anything spec/standard" to be particularly offensive. It might be what you want from F1, but its not up to you to dictate what the rest of us F1 fans want from the sport. Personally I'd rather see Formula 1 become more accessible by reducing the insane costs spent on duplicating technology for no real gain.

#3705 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 769 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 20:26

Indycar is great, better racing by far on the dedicated road courses, some of the street courses and ovals aren't the best venues.  F1 could learn a lot from them if they didn't have their hyper-ego problem.

#3706 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 8,832 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 20:32

Indycar is great, better racing by far on the dedicated road courses, some of the street courses and ovals aren't the best venues.  F1 could learn a lot from them if they didn't have their hyper-ego problem.

Amen to that.....

#3707 pdac

pdac

• 7,061 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 21:51

Don't like the idea. Any team who makes the wrong choice will not have anyway to recover. It was the same problem when they locked the engines down in 2014. All that does is ruin the racing and potentially gives one team an easy run to the title.

Ah, but that assumes that there would be a wrong choice. Maybe it would just be a wrong choice for their current car design and so they could recover if they could chance the characteristics of their car to better suite the compound that they had chosen. Who knows?

#3708 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,840 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 22:08

Ah, but that assumes that there would be a wrong choice. Maybe it would just be a wrong choice for their current car design and so they could recover if they could chance the characteristics of their car to better suite the compound that they had chosen. Who knows?

Theres always a wrong choice. It's one of the reasons they rarely deviate on tyre tactics, because when they do try something different it usually doesn't work out.

#3709 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 2,542 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 08:42

We might get to know more about the 2021 regulations towards the end of this month as there's a meeting on March 26th.

https://www.motorspo...ment-march-todt

#3710 pdac

pdac

• 7,061 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:31

Theres always a wrong choice. It's one of the reasons they rarely deviate on tyre tactics, because when they do try something different it usually doesn't work out.

Yes, but I was talking about making choices based purely on a teams own limited data. They would not have the luxury of choosing different compounds for different tracks, for example, they would have to choose one compound to be used at all tracks. So I doubt that teams would end up following the same formula as each other - they would know that whatever choice they are making is a total compromise (becauase it might work well some places, but will most definitely be bad at others).

#3711 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,840 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:50

Yes, but I was talking about making choices based purely on a teams own limited data. They would not have the luxury of choosing different compounds for different tracks, for example, they would have to choose one compound to be used at all tracks. So I doubt that teams would end up following the same formula as each other - they would know that whatever choice they are making is a total compromise (becauase it might work well some places, but will most definitely be bad at others).

I'm not totally against the idea, but just don't agree with having to commit at the start for a whole season. I'd be happy if the teams had a free choice from the tyres for each weekend, rather than Pirelli choosing them.

#3712 pdac

pdac

• 7,061 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 13:11

I'm not totally against the idea, but just don't agree with having to commit at the start for a whole season. I'd be happy if the teams had a free choice from the tyres for each weekend, rather than Pirelli choosing them.

It was not a truly serious suggestion - I was pointing out a method that could make big savings, if that it what people want. I do believe, though, that it does have the potential to make the racing (and the championships) less predictable.

#3713 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 769 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 15:12

If they are truly serious about saving big money they should decide the championship right now on paper - Mercedes 1st, Ferrari 2nd, Red Bull 3rd, etc.  Then they wouldn't have to spend all that money on the cars or drivers and they wouldn't have to hold those silly parade/races.    ;)

#3714 pdac

pdac

• 7,061 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 17:05

If they are truly serious about saving big money they should decide the championship right now on paper - Mercedes 1st, Ferrari 2nd, Red Bull 3rd, etc.  Then they wouldn't have to spend all that money on the cars or drivers and they wouldn't have to hold those silly parade/races.    ;)

I doubt the likes of Sky would pay them the levels that they are just to read out a few lines from a piece of paper. They still have to provide a few hours to show every couple of weeks.

#3715 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 769 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 17:29

Sky must save a ton of money on their crappy commentators so maybe they still would.     ;)

Edited by nonobaddog, 15 March 2019 - 18:13.

#3716 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,719 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 20:42

So there will be another season of ugly, sad sounding cars racing each other in a championship which was already decided before it started.

Well, at least cars are safer and greener, right? Hope you guys are having fun.

#3717 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 2,263 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:30

So there will be another season of ugly, sad sounding cars racing each other in a championship which was already decided before it started.

If you want a championship that’s wide open, fiercely competitive and far from decided before it’s started then come watch Formula E ;)

#3718 pdac

pdac

• 7,061 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:56

Cheer up - just look at those shiny tyres we have now.