Count Stephen Ouvaroff

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 20:53

From the BRDC today:

"We regret to have to inform Members that Life Member Count Stephen Ouvaroff died unexpectedly on Monday 13 November aged 82 years.

Stephen began his racing career in his native Australia in a Ford V8 Special before moving to England in 1956.   Stephen continued to race achieving good results in an Alfa Romeo and a Formula 2 Cooper, as well as participating in Formula Junior where he achieved strong finishes including a 3rd at the Nurburgring in 1960. 

The BRDC extends its sincere condolences to Stephen’s wife Aprille and their six children."  

Stephen Ouvaroff was by some way the tallest Formula Junior driver I ever remember and in the early 1960s he proved quite competitive within the class and a consistent top-third runner...

DCN

Advertisement

#2 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 21:50

Also known as Steve Ames when he won the Queensland GP at Southport in November 1955 driving an ageing Alfa Romeo.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Stephen

#3 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 23:46

He raced the Formula Junior Ausper (in the early 1960s) that I have, had the chassis temporarily lengthened to accommodate him but it is now back to standard length. 

#4 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,464 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:46

Thanks for letting us know.

RIP.

#5 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 20:32

Count Steve Ouvaroff test drove my 1958 Lotus Eleven S2 LeMans for George Whatmore who imported it for George Jamieson of Queensland. George arranged for the car to be imported much to the displeasure of Derek Jolly at the time. The car was tested at Brands Hatch.. Didn't know Steve was an Australian, maybe that's the connection why he was chosen to drive it before shipment to Australia. Condolences to Steve's family.

Edited by ed holly, 17 November 2017 - 20:50.

#6 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:25

Here's Wheels magazine's Southport feature.

Southport_TNF.jpg

Stephen

#7 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 901 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:53

Article on Count Stephen Ouvaroff with a focus on his Alfa Romeo P3 win in the November 1955 Queensland Road Racing Championship 

With thanks to Paul Cummins and the Cummins Archive

https://primotipo.co...-november-1955/

#8 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:26

Sad to hear this. I remember seeing him race at Brands etc in his FJ Lotus 18.

Richard Page

www.formulaoneregister.com

#9 nexfast

nexfast

• 982 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 21:34

Article on Count Stephen Ouvaroff with a focus on his Alfa Romeo P3 win in the November 1955 Queensland Road Racing Championship 

With thanks to Paul Cummins and the Cummins Archive

Excellent article, congratulations. I have always been mesmerized how a count with russian name was deemed an Australian. Now, I know thanks to your research. One little peripheral question: the Talbot driver, Ken or Keith Richardson (the two names appear...)?

Edited by nexfast, 29 June 2020 - 21:35.

#10 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 901 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 22:55

Thanks nexfast,

Ken it is...by the time I fiddle with these things for a while I cease to see the obvious 

thanks

m

#11 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 01:49

A message from Loti Irwin the other day included this photo... 

Stephen-Ouvaroff-seat-TNF.jpg

Loti wrote "(Daughter) Snow was walking the wonder dog along the river [Thames] when she saw this bench. The Ouvaroffs lived at Petersham which is between Richmond and Kingston. I just thought it was rather nice and a nice memorial and very observant of Snow to spot it. They were good friends of the Doghouse Owners Club and Steve even appeared in the 2nd pantomime. I made him a blue satin dress for his appearance in the beauty pageant.

The very handsome hound in the foreground is my grand dog who also loves the river bank although rather muddy at the moment but the frozen nights have helped with that."

Stephen

#12 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 23 January 2023 - 04:55

7/58 Modern Motor ran this Silverstone feature with a young disabled enthusiast getting a special treat with help from the Count.

1958-Modern-Motor-Ouvaroff-01-TNF.jpg

1958-Modern-Motor-Ouvaroff-02-TNF.jpg

Stephen

#13 mariner

mariner

• 2,334 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 14:39

It's probably just co incidence but there was an big American car dealer near London called Steve Ouvaroff - any relation?

#14 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 22:26

mariner, according to another message received from Loti (since posting the bench seat photo and before your question), there is indeed a connection to the American car operation. Hopefully Loti will respond direct here. Because she clearly has some personal experience with Stephen & Aprile Ouvaroff.

Stephen.

#15 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 901 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 00:28

Stephen,

Intrigued to see what Loti can add to the story. The material in the article above is pretty much all I could find at the time  I wrote it.

m

#16 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 00:53

It's probably just co incidence but there was an big American car dealer near London called Steve Ouvaroff - any relation?

The company - American Car Centre Ltd - is still in existence, although doesn't seem to be trading and is probably in the process of being wound up. The one remaining director is Stephen Ouvaroff's son.

https://find-and-upd...159308/officers

Seems to have traded as The American Carriage Company, although the site is now a Suzuki dealership.

https://virtualglobe...ny/view/google/

#17 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 02:15

Stephen,

Intrigued to see what Loti can add to the story. The material in the article above is pretty much all I could find at the time  I wrote it.

m

Mark, I will await Loti being awake to see these latest posts. Although I will mention that it is through this thread that let her know he used the Ames pseudonym in Oz. His mother's maiden name if I'm on the ball.

Meantime this 7/56 AMS advert will help slightly in revising the Strathpine P3 photo circa 1957 date.

1956-AMS-Alfa-P3-Ames-TNF.jpg

The now bargain £895 Alfa was for sale because the ex David Shmith AH 100S was soon to be in the Count's ownership, after a brief stay with Stan Mossetter. Earliest I currently have Steve Ames in the car is 12/8/56 Lowood. This is the car David Jones owned during his Tattersalls AGP historic demo days. Now with the Fox Collection. Parky will probably fill you with more details.

Stephen

#18 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 10:19

Awake? what do you mean awake????

I didn't know that everyone didn't know Steve and Aprille but I will fill in what I know.

Steve's family left Russia during the revolution, They had a huge house so presumably were of some importance. Why they went to Australia in unclear but presumably to start a new life. Steve started racing there and by all accounts did well so that, like others, thought he would try his luck over here.

He fell in with Cliff Davis who raced as well as selling American cars in the Goldhawk Road. Cliff had a yard of lock-up garages behind the car lot. Some of those were used by the likes of Bernie Ecclestone, Charles Lucas [Luke] [my brother] and many others. [It's not what you know, its who you know]

Steve progressed to a car lot on Castlenau, Barnes, selling American cars, just down the road from Petersham, where they lived with their seven sons.

I met them through the Davis family and the Doghouse.

So you can see the slightly tangled connections. With my granny hat on I say WRITE IT DOWN. Once we are gone its gone. Ships that pass in the night but all very interesting. Our paths crossed when we all went skiing at Isola 2000.[easy to get to and good for children] mine are younger than the Ouveroffs but we made rather a jolly gang consuming pizza at the Cow Club at lunch time. [which is why my daughter noticed the name on the bench on the tow path]

Thats pretty much it for now... I will be back if I think of any other stories.

Thanks to ace picture poster Stephen, where would we be without the internet? [asleep?]

Loti

#19 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 00:02

I posted this 8/55 Modern Motor Sportlight page on the Strathpine thread a few years ago. It may as well be here with the newcomer, Steve Ames in the Richardson Ford Special reference.

Strathpine meeting being 4/6/55.

1955-Modern-Motor-Sportlight-TNF.jpg

Stephen

Edited by cooper997, 27 January 2023 - 00:05.

Advertisement

#20 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,872 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 00:39

This is part of the 8/56 Sports Cars & Specials report of the 5/5/56 Strathpine meeting showing Steve Ames chasing Ken Richardson's Lago.

1956-SCS-Strathpine-report-TNF.jpg

Stephen

#21 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 901 posts

Posted 27 January 2023 - 03:14

Thanks Stephen,

I might crop the Richardson/Ouvaroff shot and pop into my masterpiece.

I'm sure I had a good Trove a while back but I'll have another poke around at the weekend to see what pops up.

m