* * * * - 16 votes

Kubica's future in motorsport [update: racing for Williams in 2019]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3722 replies to this topic

#1 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:25

It seems it's game over for Robert in F1. Or is it?

What is the Plan B?

Edited by Swck81, 15 December 2017 - 12:05.

Advertisement

#2 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:29

until we get an official, it's not

#3 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 402 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:30

It isn't over until it is.   ;)  I haven't seen any official confirmation and as far as rumours go, there are many floating around, pointing in different directions - including some nasty directions of Kremlin. So... not sure it's the right moment to discuss plan B yet.

#4 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:34

I am afraid it is over. Robert does not hold Russian passport so he is out of the running. There are only 4 Russian in a poll in other thread which is very telling...

How unlucky to get so far and than just hit the wall because of nationality...

Edited by Swck81, 14 December 2017 - 14:04.

#5 RandomG

RandomG

• 509 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:37

Damn

#6 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,153 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:43

I am afraid it is over. Robert does not hold Russian passport so he is out of the running.

I feel sorry for all the Soviet drivers who were unable to compete in capitalist F1. :drunk:

#7 empe

empe

• 174 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:46

As I stated in this other thread: I would hate to see a quality driver as RK "fighting" for 15th spot in this piece of **** Williams with the likes of Toro Rosso, Haas or Sauber.

Better do some rallying, man... Or go to America to do racing, away from FIA's BS.

#8 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,219 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:49

I am afraid it is over. Robert does not hold Russian passport so he is out of the running.

lack of speed and/or form and/or extra money might be the cause

#9 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:49

Firstly we don't know if its just cash or a combination of cash plus performance that has RK out of the running.

I'm guessing both. Renault didn't take him either.

Next I'd be guessing a return to rallying, maybe a shot at Le Mans.

#10 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:50

De-nial.

#11 string158

string158

• 1,055 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:50

Wonder if we'll see him pairing up with Alonso at Le Mans?

#12 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 3,521 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:54

This looks quite familiar with Sandro Nannini story, I guess Kubica can try DTM, Le Mans or even NASCAR.

#13 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:57

I don’t see how Kubica is going to get another go in a Formula One car after two teams evaluated then passed on him. He was lucky Williams gave him a shot, as many teams would have taken Renault’s rejection as a sign he was not capable of making a competitive return.

His only chance left is acquiring a large pile of money and just outbidding the competition, but with Sauber gaining Alfa money and Ferrari young drivers, there’s actually little sign that any of the teams will pick a seat purely on money at the moment. Even if another team did join the grid, as is badly needed, and just needed the money, I don’t know if Kubica would want to be at the back anyway.

Time for him to look elsewhere.

#14 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 13:57

I feel sorry for all the Soviet drivers who were unable to compete in capitalist F1. :drunk:

Not just Soviet, but the whole Eastern bloc. IIRC there was no F1 driver from the eastern side of the Iron curtain, though there were a few in motorcycle Grand Prix racing.

The first former eastern bloc driver to make it into F1 was Tomas Enge in 2001, a while after the communist system had collapsed.

#15 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:02

I would like to remind you that Poland was Soviet satellite country.   :drunk:

Edited by Swck81, 14 December 2017 - 14:03.

#16 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:03

This looks quite familiar with Sandro Nannini story, I guess Kubica can try DTM, Le Mans or even NASCAR.

Or Didier Pironi, who attempted to make comeback in F1 in 1986 - four years after his accident. But didn't quite make it.

#17 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:05

De-nial.

Denial of what? That there are coincidently 4 Russian drivers in a poll for other Williams' seat in other thread?

http://forums.autosp...l/#entry8205433

Edited by Swck81, 14 December 2017 - 14:07.

#18 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,360 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:08

Or Didier Pironi, who attempted to make comeback in F1 in 1986 - four years after his accident. But didn't quite make it.

Also Jean-Pierre Jabouille.

#19 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:09

Would DTM suit Robert? Hakkinen, Frentzen and other F1 refugees did not set DTM on fire as I remember?

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:14

Some posts have been removed. Please don't use this thread to discuss moderation decisions. You are of course welcome to PM us but it's important that your discussions with us happen privately.

What I will say is that the decision to close the Kubica thread was based on a strong article from Autosport -- which has been picked up elsewhere and Williams have not denied -- saying that Robert Kubica is no longer being considered for the Williams seat. It was also due to be closed anyway on account of its size. If things change and credible reporting emerges that Kubica is about to be made Williams' second driver after all, of course a new thread will be opened.

#21 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 952 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:25

Denial of what? That there are coincidently 4 Russian drivers in a poll for other Williams' seat in other thread?

http://forums.autosp...l/#entry8205433

You're using a tongue-in-cheek poll as your evidence?

#22 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:50

You're using a tongue-in-cheek poll as your evidence?

Well, it looks like I am not the only one who thinks that only Russian have a go at the seat. But no. No hard evidence. I did not hold of any official Williams document in a form of PDF that I could post on this forum.

#23 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:55

Oh, you still haven't grasped sarcasm. Personal insults are the definition of the keyboard warrior by the way. Have a look closer to home.

Much closer.

:lol:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  :lol:

Can we move on with the thread or you have more personal tips for me?

Edited by Swck81, 14 December 2017 - 14:55.

#24 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 14:55

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. :lol:

You're welcome. Public service ahoy.

#25 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 2,633 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:05

https://www.express....aires-and-Putin

#26 Forever

Forever

• 16 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:08

Some posts have been removed. Please don't use this thread to discuss moderation decisions. You are of course welcome to PM us but it's important that your discussions with us happen privately.

What I will say is that the decision to close the Kubica thread was based on a strong article from Autosport -- which has been picked up elsewhere and Williams have not denied -- saying that Robert Kubica is no longer being considered for the Williams seat. It was also due to be closed anyway on account of its size. If things change and credible reporting emerges that Kubica is about to be made Williams' second driver after all, of course a new thread will be opened.

It have been denied by Kubica's father himself in interview yesterday evening. He have said that they are still in fight for Williams seat. Kubica is not favourite but he isn't out of competition yet. Kubica's father is really credible source, very down to earth, just like his son.

#27 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:19

"I'm not saying it just because he's the World Champion but I've always rated Vettel very highly indeed. He could win many titles,” Williams continued.  “And I think him, Lewis Hamilton and perhaps Robert Kubica in the right car might surprise everybody.”

Still money wins ...

#28 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:22

Of course money wins. Williams are a lower midfield team and they have to run it as a team, not a charity or some sort of Hesketh-esque enterprise. I find Williams current state fairly sad, but it's a reality given where they are and it's why they are highly unlikely to ever bounce back to the top of the pile.

#29 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:24

"I'm not saying it just because he's the World Champion but I've always rated Vettel very highly indeed. He could win many titles,” Williams continued.  “And I think him, Lewis Hamilton and perhaps Robert Kubica in the right car might surprise everybody.”

Still money wins ...

That a 2017 quote? Because I'm not so sure anyone with the surname Williams would thinkg Hamilton or Vettel could surprise anyone. Perhaps a pre-Kubica rally accident quote? At that time yes. 

But being away from F1 in 7 years and having a severe accident and injury with limitations as a result of that  .... 

#30 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:29

Of course money wins. Williams are a lower midfield team and they have to run it as a team, not a charity or some sort of Hesketh-esque enterprise. I find Williams current state fairly sad, but it's a reality given where they are and it's why they are highly unlikely to ever bounce back to the top of the pile.

So you agree Sirotkin got the place ahead of Robert because of money?

#31 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:30

IMSA :up: I would love to see him behind the wheel of a Corvette

#32 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 952 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:43

Still money wins ...

Seven years old that quote. I wonder if anything might have happened in that time that may have changed their opinion of Kubica?

Edited by onemoresolo, 14 December 2017 - 15:44.

#33 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,921 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:47

I'm sure I read something about how a comeback would have invalidated the enormous insurance payout that Pironi received after his Hockenheim crash (which was predicated upon the accident being "career-ending"), and that it was ultimately his own decision to abort the whole exercise. His pace was there.

#34 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:48

Nope, he was probably quicker too.

Extra money never hurts though, does it.

#35 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:52

I'm sure I read something about how a comeback would have invalidated the enormous insurance payout that Pironi received after his Hockenheim crash (which was predicated upon the accident being "career-ending"), and that it was ultimately his own decision to abort the whole exercise. His pace was there.

His pace was there but he couldn't run a whole race, his tibia wouldn't take it and he knew it. The insurance money was just the final nail as there was no point in risking his financial security for the sake of a comeback that wouldn't last.

Besides, powerboat racing was calling ...

#36 empe

empe

• 174 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 15:57

Nope, he was probably quicker too.

Quitting speculations like this would be appreciated, and of great improvement to this forum.

There is no way anyone can possibly know this, one way or the other, until driver A competes against driver B in the same machinery at the same time.

#37 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:00

Quitting speculations like this would be appreciated, and of great improvement to this forum.
There is no way anyone can possibly know this, one way or the other, until driver A competes against driver B in the same machinery at the same time.

Probably.

probably
ˈprɒbəbli/
adverb
almost certainly.
Synonyms:
"in all likelihood, likely, all things being equal, possibly, perhaps, maybe"

Google is your friend.

I'm not posting for your benefit.

#38 empe

empe

• 174 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:03

Probably.

probably
ˈprɒbəbli/
adverb
almost certainly.
Synonyms:

Google is your friend.

Probably.

probably
ˈprɒbəbli/
adverb
almost certainly.
Synonyms:

Google is your friend.

my @!c& is PROBABLY bigger than yours.

'is not...'

'is too'

'is not...'

'is too'

'is not...'

'is too'

'is not...'

'is too'

#39 superden

superden

• 4,185 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:09

So good, you quoted me twice.

Shucks, y'all are makin' me blush.

Advertisement

#40 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 5,360 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:25

Combination of talent and money is what gets race seats. As old as motorsports.

#41 jjcale

jjcale

• 16,192 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:32

Personally, I think he is better off not giving up the $11m in insurance money .... I think he is over estimating the value of closure. 

I wanted to see him back in F1 - but not if he is only going to be a pale shadow of what he was. I prefer to think about what could have been and remember the awesome driver that he used to be. 

$11m is a lot of money to give back in his circumstances. 

#42 Mithrandir

Mithrandir

• 205 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:34

It's a shame Kubica chose money instead of a chance to drive in F1 again. He had signed a blood contract with Williams but he backstabbed them, not willing to pay the insurance company. What a greedy bastard!

#43 paulogman

paulogman

• 2,642 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 16:43

Williams have stayed tight-lipped on the decision-making progress, but reports at the start of the week suggested previous front-runner Robert Kubica was now out of the running after Sirotkin outperformed the Pole on his test debut for the team in Abu Dhabi last month. (Story - external site)

#44 Burai

Burai

• 1,896 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 17:09

He needs to get out there and start racing something again. A good showing in DTM or WEC, showing that he can still compete is worth far more than a few F1 tests. Look at Hartley as a good example. Whist Kubica doesn't have that sort of time on his side, someone with his experience should be able to rock up in a premier championship, get up to speed very quickly and show the quality that marks him out for F1.

I remember when Grosjean fell out of favour after his first stint in F1. His showings in LMGT, AutoGP and GP2 were so far beyond everyone else in those fields, the F1 teams had no choice but to take him seriously again. Kubica needs to be doing the same thing. He needs to make F1 teams take notice.

#45 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 17:12

He needs to get out there and start racing something again. A good showing in DTM or WEC, showing that he can still compete is worth far more than a few F1 tests. Look at Hartley as a good example. Whist Kubica doesn't have that sort of time on his side, someone with his experience should be able to rock up in a premier championship, get up to speed very quickly and show the quality that marks him out for F1.

I remember when Grosjean fell out of favour after his first stint in F1. His showings in LMGT, AutoGP and GP2 were so far beyond everyone else in those fields, the F1 teams had no choice but to take him seriously again. Kubica needs to be doing the same thing. He needs to make F1 teams take notice.

I think the silly season of 2018 may have been his last opportunity. Age doesn't work in favour of Kubica. Teams don't hire essentially rookies - we can call Kubica that considering his long break - , who are approaching their mid-30's.

However, there is still a racing career outside F1. He could try to be successful in sports cars, touring cars, and why not Formula E or even IndyCar.

#46 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,267 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 17:23

Would DTM suit Robert? Hakkinen, Frentzen and other F1 refugees did not set DTM on fire as I remember?

Hakkinen won several DTM races

#47 Anja

Anja

• 10,313 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 17:29

Hakkinen won several DTM races

Still not exactly a stellar achievement for a F1 World Champion. 

#48 Swck81

Swck81

• 784 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 18:06

I agree, 3 years, 3 wins, 3 poles, 8 podiums and 5th place was his best season.

Edited by Swck81, 14 December 2017 - 18:13.

#49 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 18:20

Maybe not, but he was no longer at the peak of his career.

#50 tghik

tghik

• 2,408 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 18:28

Not exactly sure if it has any impact on Paddy's choice, but his wife is Russian

Edited by tghik, 14 December 2017 - 18:28.