Photo
- - - - -

2018 Rallying thread (WRC, World RX, ERC, etc)

• Please log in to reply
824 replies to this topic

#1 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,181 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:41

Think it's about time we start the 2018 rally thread as all news are regarding the new season really.

What about kicking off with the news that Loeb's gonna return on part-time to do Mexico, Spain and France with Citroen, eh? Shame about Breen having to sit out those 3 rounds but it's for a good cause.

Advertisement

#2 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,041 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:57

Will be super interesting to see how Loeb's raw pace compares to Meeke's.

#3 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 13:10

I don't think I'm quite as excited about Loeb's return as lots of people will be, not like he hasn't done it before. I feel sorry for Breen really. 

#4 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 13:18

I am kind of disappointed Loeb is not doing a few more rallies but of course it is always hard on the guy having to move over.  

I am interested to see how Evans can do now he is back in the main M-Sport team alongside Ogier.  It seemed to inspire Tanak this year so let's hope it is the same for Elfyn.  I am also going to make more effort to try to follow rallies live next season.

Edited by WilliamsF1Fan, 20 December 2017 - 13:19.

#5 Yamamoto

Yamamoto

• 1,865 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 17:54

Autosport ranked Tanak above Neuville for 2017. It will be interesting to see how he gets on against the other Toyota drivers. 

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 19:48

I don't think I'm quite as excited about Loeb's return as lots of people will be, not like he hasn't done it before. I feel sorry for Breen really. 

You'd think that Citroen could have rustled up another car for those rallies so that Breen could still run.  And I am not sure that Loeb will be fully on the pace anymore after so long away from the WRC (even though I know he has done smaller rallies this yearr).  He is the GOAT, in my opinion, but he isn't Superman.

#7 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 19:55

Citroen really has become quite pathetic. They will only run 2 cars and even when Loeb comes in he takes the seat of Breen!

How the mighty have fallen... One has to wonder if they even take themselves seriously anymore.

#8 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:17

Don't three cars bring points for WCC now? How can they expect to win it with only two?

#9 messy

messy

• 7,467 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:21

I think Citroen are a worry. They just don't seem to be putting much into their WRC program compared with what they used to. I'm amazed they're dropping Breen instead of putting Loeb into a third car. It does make me wonder how long they're going to be around really. 

#10 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:25

Don't three cars bring points for WCC now? How can they expect to win it with only two?

Yea I think Citroen won't be a feature in the manufacturers championship next year. I think their goal is to win a few rallies and be happy about that.

#11 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:31

I remember that not long ago they made an impression they are 100% commited to WRC. Finishing WTCC program to have funds/assets/manpower and introducing new C3 model.

I think they way it looks is disapointing. And to think Toyota was expected to fail.

Edited by MadYarpen, 21 December 2017 - 08:31.

#12 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,041 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:45

Imagine if Loeb is a consistent front runner in that car...

Please make a PROPER comeback Seb! :cool:

#13 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:35

Putting 2+2 and getting 5, I'm thinking Citroen haven't got long left in the WRC as a full works team. What has happened to their budget?

#14 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 13:08

Top 2 out of a possible 3 manufacturer cars that are nominated to score.

#15 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 13:11

Top 2 out of a possible 3 manufacturer cars that are nominated to score.

OK, but still it significantly reduces their chances...

#16 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 22:59

OK, but still it significantly reduces their chances...

Yup. It does. I am actually amazed that they didn't manage to get Red Bull to cover Loeb's rallies tbh.

#17 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 21:52

Lol, his main attempt this year is on WRX, not rallying, that would be why.

#18 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,181 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:22

Ford is back.... kind of.... M-Sport is renamed M-Sport Ford

#19 WilliamsF1Fan

WilliamsF1Fan

• 1,381 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:42

Probably helps explain why Ogier stayed with the team (not that he had many options other than retirement!)

Advertisement

#20 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:59

It would be because Ford are probably paying his wages, so want a bit more they can use, he will be costing a fortune, probably 15 million or so

#21 Stephane

Stephane

• 4,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 12:45

Red Bull si surely stil there to pay a part of this money, no ?

#22 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 13:20

Yea I think Citroen won't be a feature in the manufacturers championship next year. I think their goal is to win a few rallies and be happy about that.

Maybe in a long run it;s a good strategy. Win a few rallies, get more funds to launch a proper campaign. I hope. 

#23 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 15:10

Most of his salary in 2017 was paid by VW as they dumped the team before his contract ran out, same for Mikkelsen and Latvala I expect

#24 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 17:52

Ford is back.... kind of.... M-Sport is renamed M-Sport Ford

Yet no announcement - or anything on their social media platforms....Only because the FiA released the Manufacturer entrants for the WRC 2018 have people seen Ford have returned. All a bit low key....maybe there'll be more at the Autosport show, but by then we all know.

#25 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 17:46

It looks like Ford are putting some cash into M-Sport has they plan to run a third car this year for selected drivers;starting with Bryan Bouffier on the Monte (and for Corsica).  I was surprised to see he is 39 yo;  I still thought of him as an up and coming lad!  How times change, with M-Sport fielding three official cars and Citroen apparently unable or unwilling to do so.

In other, sadder, news, we have lost Hugh Bishop, the legendary rally photographer.

#26 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 19:20

WRC 2018 launched today at Autosport International........

I can tell everybody is excited.......

#27 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 19:25

Nothing to get excited about.  Some of the favoured few get a glass of warm white wine and some cheese & pineapple on a stick.  So what?  The real excitement is on 22nd January when the business really gets going (Monte).

#28 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 19:42

Well I thought the whole point of launching it today at Autosport was to generate excitement & interest in the upcoming year.

Anyway, the cars liveries are virtually the same, and I suppose the major news was WRC+ will show all stages live; providing you pay a fee - I think it's 89.99 Euros. 

http://www.wrc.com/e....1--12-12-.html

It's progress - and seems to have been well received; though I'm still unsure about putting over 90% of your coverage behind a paywall.

Edited by AlexLangheck, 11 January 2018 - 19:58.

#29 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 20:15

https://www.autospor...-world-rx-talks

Sounds interesting to me. Global Rallycross was supposed to be kicking off an EV category this year, right?

#30 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 13:06

WRC+ added another subscription level, which offers every stage streamed live, with pause and rewind options. $85 a year. No brainer, really.

EDIT: oh this was posted already. Nevermind, upgraded my account just now.

Edited by tormave, 19 January 2018 - 13:06.

#31 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 14:55

It looks like Ford are putting some cash into M-Sport has they plan to run a third car this year for selected drivers;starting with Bryan Bouffier on the Monte (and for Corsica).  I was surprised to see he is 39 yo;  I still thought of him as an up and coming lad!  How times change, with M-Sport fielding three official cars and Citroen apparently unable or unwilling to do so.

Bouffier have sponsors paying for it. Suninen is also paying for his events (which is why he doesn't have more events planned atm). If Suninen can't find money for more rallies, and no other driver are willing to pay, M-Sport might end up with only 2 cars at some rallies this year. Though, Mads Østberg might bring his Fiesta out for some events if he is unable to secure more events for Citroën. One of those will be Argentina (where Suninen won't be). So he will in that case be nominated for points.

The same goes for Citroën, we might actually see last years WRC Trophy champion, Jourdan Serderidis be nominated to score points.

But in Sweden, there will be 5 M-Sport 17/18 - Fiestas (and one old style )

Edited by Myrvold, 19 January 2018 - 14:57.

#32 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 19:26

Can't help think that if Ford were providing a proper budget for M-Sport, then there would be a full 3 car team for all events; no 'pay driver' in the 3rd seat. As it is, they may well be providing a small amount of extra cash, plus more technical support.

#33 P0inters

P0inters

• 1,143 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 15:30

The Monte Carlo Rally starts today and there's barely a soul in sight .

#34 aisiai

aisiai

• 404 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 16:03

It's quiet expectation, man! When it's about rallying, when it's about Monte - it's serious stuff.

When it's about F1 (we?) can be chatty and talkative 

;)

#35 mikerally

mikerally

• 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 16:12

This is bound to be a great season. My things to watch out for are:

-if Neuville can withstand the pressure and beat Ogier

-if Ogier after one year in M-Sport and with a lot more knowledge and experience of the car will dominate again like in his VW years or will the others keep him in check

-Citroen's improvement over the past year and wether or not they managed to fix their car

-Citroen's driver choice, will they be consistent or not and will they be able to fight for the championship

-Will it be Mikkelsen's year?I personally hope so.

-Toyota's progress and where they stand compared to the others.

-will Latvala finally put it all together, or will Tanak/Lappi shine for Toyota?

-finally, does Loeb still have what it takes to fight at the top of the WRC?

What do you guys think regarding this season, will Ogier win it again or will someone else take the crown from him at the end of this season? 

#36 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 16:27

What do you guys think regarding this season, will Ogier win it again or will someone else take the crown from him at the end of this season? 

Looking at my crystal ball I think...

- Ogier is still the favourite I think. He is the most complete driver. Last year he didn't adapt very well to the car, yet he won the championship on consistency. But I also think his era in M-Sport/Ford isn't/won't be as straightforward and seemingly easy as it was in VW. Because Ford doesn't have the performance edge over the field like VW had.

- I think Neuville stands a chance of beating Ogier, but only IF... he has an excellent season and not many retirements. But Neuville can be mentally iffy. He had a few subpar seasons a couple of years ago too. Can never predict, how his season is going to unfold.

- Mikkelsen? Good/consistent in VW days, showed some speed late last year too. I don't know. He'll probably be near the front, but has he got the speed to win rallies on pace? Which would be necessary for a championship. I don't know, we will find out I guess.

- Toyota is interesting. Good line-up including Latvala and Tanak and the car has shown promise too. But are they complete enough to win the championship? Latvala has often been error-prone, when he has a shot at the championship. Tanak is younger and showed lots of promise and speed last year. Perhaps has more long-term potential, but can he iron out mistakes? Toyota has shown speed, but also unreliability. It would take a perfect storm for them to win the title, but who knows, they could give a run for the championship, also in the manufacturers championship.

- Citroen? Meeke can win rallies, but I don't think he has got what it takes to win the title.

Edited by sopa, 25 January 2018 - 16:28.

#37 AlexLangheck

AlexLangheck

• 398 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 18:04

The Monte Carlo Rally starts today and there's barely a soul in sight .

I know, it's bizarre.....there seems to be more interest in the Rolex 24, than this.......

#38 mikerally

mikerally

• 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 18:31

Looking at my crystal ball I think...

- Ogier is still the favourite I think. He is the most complete driver. Last year he didn't adapt very well to the car, yet he won the championship on consistency. But I also think his era in M-Sport/Ford isn't/won't be as straightforward and seemingly easy as it was in VW. Because Ford doesn't have the performance edge over the field like VW had.

- I think Neuville stands a chance of beating Ogier, but only IF... he has an excellent season and not many retirements. But Neuville can be mentally iffy. He had a few subpar seasons a couple of years ago too. Can never predict, how his season is going to unfold.

- It will be a much more difficult task to beat Ogier this year considering that he was involved in developing the car compared to last year but I agree with you that he won't have it as easy as in his VW days.

-If he doesn't stick the car in every ditch he finds or tap every rock along the road like he did last year he has a huge chance as I think the Hyundai is a very good contender. Last year he lost because if I remember right he crashed twice while leading the rally. 

#39 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 18:53

Seems very stagnant to me,  liveries the same, most driver lineup the same, even the prelim stage was the same, was like watching highlights from last years event!!

Can't see anyone beating Ogier, only interest for me is how Mikkelsen and Tanak settle in to their teams, I think if Tanak settles in quickly he could be a threat and Neuville needs to quit the daft stuff.  

Advertisement

#40 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,138 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 19:16

I hope Neuville can take it home this year. But let's see! Here's to another competitive season  :up:

#41 BRG

BRG

• 25,898 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 19:40

Motorsport News has tipped Hyundai for the WRC this year (ie Neuville) and I am inclined to agree with them. 

M-Sport/Ford have Ogier who can never be discounted (and Monte is his home event as he comes from the region) but do they yet have the car for him to do it?  I hope Evans will step up his act now he is in a proper works car with the same tyres as the rest, but I doubt if he will do more than win a rally or two.

Toyota ought to be better this year with a year's development under their belts but I see their driver line-up as a bit weak.  Latvala is inconsistent and accident prone, Tanak is good but I struggle to beleive in him as a championship winner and Lappi is too inexperienced although undoubtedly a future star.  Tommi needs to look a little further than jus Finns and Estonians in his driver choice.  If they had picked up Ogier, the WRC would be done and dusted. 

Citroen may have sorted out the C3's spooky handling with Loeb's input and if so, Meeke may be a WRC contender and Breen could be a rally winner if not a championship contender. 

But it is all guess work and the season looks like a real humdinger.  Especially if the Monte is snowy as it looks like being!

#42 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,041 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 19:51

Tanak arguably outpaced Ogier last year in the same equipment so if he can tidy up from last year even just slightly (and Toyota gets the upper hand over M-Sport), I do not struggle to see him as a title candidate. Certainly would rather bet on Ott than either of Meeke or Latvala!

#43 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 20:41

WRC+ all live is now live for stage 1.

Edited by EightGear, 25 January 2018 - 20:41.

#44 mikerally

mikerally

• 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 20:59

Neuville stopped on stage!

#45 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:00

Neuville crashed already.

#46 mikerally

mikerally

• 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:13

I don't understand why I mainly get images from the Ford's...show us everyone WRC+

#47 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 547 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:21

Sisteron is the longest stage, very difficult even in daylight. Big mistake to start the whole season and the Monte with such a stage. Just like in 99. SS1 was about 50 km long, Sainz, Auriol and Burns managed to crash, only Auriol could continue.

#48 mikerally

mikerally

• 251 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:33

Sisteron is the longest stage, very difficult even in daylight. Big mistake to start the whole season and the Monte with such a stage. Just like in 99. SS1 was about 50 km long, Sainz, Auriol and Burns managed to crash, only Auriol could continue.

Any stage with ice could've caused this kind of trouble. It is what it is. Long rally and with weather coming in for tomorrow and especially snow for the last 2 days, anything can happen.

#49 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:33

Ogier too was sliding down a icy hill sideways and took quite a bit of time getting going again. But this is Monte. It's not supposed to be easy.

I'm not watching the stage live - All Live allows starting the stage video when ever after the stage has started, it seems. I'm streaming the video to my phone at work, loving the service so far. 

#50 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:34

Neuville crashed already.

Oh well...

Typical Neuville I guess.

Just a few hours ago I wrote it would be hard to guess, which Neuville would turn up - the winning one or the crashing one. TBH Monte has never been among his best rallies, in most of them he has crashed out. But he leaves himself some work to do in subsequent rallies to catch up.