Photo
- - - - -

2018 Rallying thread (WRC, World RX, ERC, etc)

• Please log in to reply
789 replies to this topic

#51 mikerally

mikerally

• 250 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:46

Ogier too was sliding down a icy hill sideways and took quite a bit of time getting going again. But this is Monte. It's not supposed to be easy.

I'm not watching the stage live - All Live allows starting the stage video when ever after the stage has started, it seems. I'm streaming the video to my phone at work, loving the service so far. 

they should show more stage and on boards from different cars and less map.

Advertisement

#52 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,750 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:49

So Ogier's already the (very) provisional leader of the 2018 championship, nothing ever changes.  :p

#53 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,372 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:55

WTF! wrc.com does not anymore show stats if you do not sign in?

Is this for real?

#54 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,616 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:57

it was working at the start of the stage, only lasted a few second.

I think it's just technical, we'll see tomorrow.

Basic wrc+ is free for 7 days, that wil do for the MC

#55 tormave

tormave

• 1,497 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 21:57

they should show more stage and on boards from different cars and less map.

They said that the helicopters were grounded due to low hanging clouds. Monte is mountain terrain, so probably hard to get the live in-car feed without the helicopters, which I believe act as base stations for the cars. In-car from SS2 seems more abundant, probably due to better cellular connectivity there.

#56 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,286 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 23:20

It really looked like Neuville was going to start strong but Ogier just blew everyone’s doors off especially on SS1. That was fun.

#57 mikerally

mikerally

• 250 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:40

Mikkelsen is out of the fight as he has an alternator issue and missed his start time for SS4...

#58 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,616 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:00

He's out, now.

Neuville back in Top10

#59 sopa

sopa

• 11,298 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:11

Not a good start for Hyundai in terms of manufacturers championship.

On paper it seems Hyundai should be the team to beat in the manu's with the car and drivers they have, but somehow they always make their life hard...

Advertisement

#60 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,410 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:34

Monte always can be a bit of a lottery. I imagine normal service will resume from the next rally onwards.

#61 messy

messy

• 2,742 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:23

Monte always can be a bit of a lottery. I imagine normal service will resume from the next rally onwards.

A lottery that Ogier always somehow wins by miles!

#62 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,410 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:01

A lottery that Ogier always somehow wins by miles!

I guess that's normally true, although Neuville was just extremely unlucky last year.

#63 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 289 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:17

Anybody have problems with the android app and live timing? Not working at all, only the live text. :down:

#64 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 13:32

Anybody have problems with the android app and live timing? Not working at all, only the live text. :down:

Everyone have issues with live timing. It's down. Have been for the whole event.

#65 tormave

tormave

• 1,497 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 14:43

Telemetry on the all live must be several seconds behind the video feed. Pretty useless as it is right now.

#66 tormave

tormave

• 1,497 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 14:49

Minor spin for Ogier, but he drove into a ditch trying to recover from it. Spectators got him out of there - lost maybe 30 seconds.

#67 BRG

BRG

• 16,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 19:37

WTF! wrc.com does not anymore show stats if you do not sign in?

Is this for real?

Not working for me today.  It has always been horribly slow and clunky, so no surprise.

#68 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 8,170 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 20:25

This rally is extremely long. Anything can happen.

I am really enjoying it so far. C'mon Neuville, claw that time back!

#69 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,616 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:05

Snow has not helped him this morning...

#70 piszkosfred

piszkosfred

• 289 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 14:07

They couldnt fix the live timing in two days, absolutely pathetic.  :evil:

#71 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 14:37

They couldnt fix the live timing in two days, absolutely pathetic. :evil:

However the temp. Solution they have now,was possible to use previously (I did) and it miles better than the usual one.

#72 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,299 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 15:02

The e-WRC service is usually better than the OfiicialWRC split times. Really unforgivable that the split times are still rubbish, and have been for seemingly ever. 

And the people raving about the new WRC+ All Live service; well, 7 years ago we had all but one stage of the Monte live on Eurosport..... it should be miles better thanks to the advances in technology. However, if people are happy, then good for them.

#73 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,381 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 15:04

So Ogier opted for a different tire tire set than everyone else (1 super soft 4 softs vs 5 super softs like all the other drivers). I wonder what will be the outcome of this.

#74 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 17:57

The e-WRC service is usually better than the OfiicialWRC split times. Really unforgivable that the split times are still rubbish, and have been for seemingly ever. 

And the people raving about the new WRC+ All Live service; well, 7 years ago we had all but one stage of the Monte live on Eurosport..... it should be miles better thanks to the advances in technology. However, if people are happy, then good for them.

New provider for this season, haven't helped at all!

Indeed. I feel like they should at minimum be at IRC 2011 level, and then build from that. There have been times today that the coverage have been quite good. And I think that the itineary in Sweden will help as well, but they have a long way to go.

#75 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 8,170 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 18:21

So Ogier opted for a different tire tire set than everyone else (1 super soft 4 softs vs 5 super softs like all the other drivers). I wonder what will be the outcome of this.

As always, it'll just be Seb's sly grin at the end.

#76 mikerally

mikerally

• 250 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 18:59

New provider for this season, haven't helped at all!

Indeed. I feel like they should at minimum be at IRC 2011 level, and then build from that. There have been times today that the coverage have been quite good. And I think that the itineary in Sweden will help as well, but they have a long way to go.

I think they improved since Thursday and I like the format with the studio and everything. They still have some glitches but they'll figure it out. 

In terms of timing, they have a new provider but let's not forget 2013 when they change the timing provider which never figured out it's problems, with a lot of issues regarding the splits. 

I still remember being at the Monte in 2013 as a competitor and no one knew any splits or times because the system wasn't working...it was so bad that the FIA and organisers had to ask the teams for their times to double check...

#77 tormave

tormave

• 1,497 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 20:59

The normal set-up is 3 feeds per car, plus telemetry, plus helicopter shots, plus roadside cameras at start and finish. TV stages also have additional roadside cameras at latter part of SS. In addition they have interviews from service parks and at the end of stages. I agree Eurosport coverage of EWRC was good, but it wasn’t streamed/VoD, and it was only in Europe. I used to listen to rally radio and follow the splits on wrc.com - now I watch/listen to All live instead.

The annual cost is way less than driving out to see one stage, if there’s a WRC event in your home country (gas, food, ticket, parking, booze, flare, flag, ...). Everyone who cares about rallying should buy it even without intent to watch, just to support the sport. Just my opinion. More eyeballs means more manufacturers and drivers.

#78 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 22:05

Lol, why on earth should anyone support and buy an app simply to support the sport!  The most ridiculous thing I ahve read on here for years! Especially the bit about no intent to watch!  It should be free, it is on Red Bulltv after all.

From what i have read it is not very good.  You do know who market this series don't you?  Yes, Red bull, the sponsor on the winning car every rally just about!

They dont care, they just want your money!

If you enjoy it fair enough, but no-one should suport anything just for the sake of it.  WRC was perfectly fine before all this crap turned up, in fact last year was a boon, perhaps why they are offering this smash and grab raid cash rob.

#79 BCM

BCM

• 1,489 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:01

Is it possible to see live timing for free or are they charging for it now?

Advertisement

#80 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:48

Is it possible to see live timing for free or are they charging for it now?

It is free, it's just not working properly this rally. Though, if you go to the live center on wrc.com, you should have an emergency solution show up http://www.wrc.com/e...e/4175----.html

#81 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 2,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:14

Every year I give WRC another go and every year a Sebastien is dominating... it's really rather astounding how long this has gone on

#82 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:43

Every year I give WRC another go and every year a Sebastien is dominating... it's really rather astounding how long this has gone on

He wasn't exactly dominating last year, not sure he will do it this year either.

#83 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 2,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:52

He wasn't exactly dominating last year, not sure he will do it this year either.

Ok, leading and winning rallies and championships.

My point isn't massively negative I might add. It is just remarkable that this French person called Sebastien is winning again thing has been going on since 2004. If it was a movie script it would be called implausible.

Edited by Vielleicht, 28 January 2018 - 11:54.

#84 noriaki

noriaki

• 897 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:01

This impression is not a surprise if you only watch Monte every year. :p

Last year we had a good scrap already, iirc Seb only won 4th most stages of all drivers. He was the most consistent abd thus the best, but hardly dominant - and given the trajectory of Ford vs other teams I only expect others to give him an even harder time this year.

Edited by noriaki, 28 January 2018 - 12:02.

#85 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 2,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:05

This impression is not a surprise if you only watch Monte every year. :p

Last year we had a good scrap already, iirc Seb only won 4th most stages of all drivers. He was the most consistent abd thus the best, but hardly dominant - and given the trajectory of Ford vs other teams I only expect others to give him an even harder time this year.

I usually watch the first 3-4 and for some reason tail off again. It's not for lack of trying... I'm convinced it'll stick one day. Maybe this is my year!

Edited by Vielleicht, 28 January 2018 - 12:06.

#86 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:07

5th most even!

#87 midgrid

midgrid

• 7,157 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:10

Hyundai's solution is staring them in the face - they should have entered their drivers under the names Sébastien Neuville, Sébastien Mikkelsen, etc...

#88 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,410 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:11

Niall McShea is revealed as the Stig on WRC Radio  :lol:

#89 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,286 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:24

Well done Ogier!

#90 ArnageWRC

ArnageWRC

• 1,299 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:30

Well done to Seb, his 6th Monte win; sensible drive, fast when needed, and a little bit of luck. The way to succeed at this event. Promising event for Tanak who looks as though he may well be the leading challenger for Toyota.

Hyundai showed flashes of speed, but that's not really news; they need to be reliable. Citroen are a mystery...will need more events to evaluate were they really are; however, I think Meeke would have accepted 4th on Thursday night.

Edited by ArnageWRC, 28 January 2018 - 12:30.

#91 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,616 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:30

5th for Neuville, not too bad after thursday.

#92 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:32

Ogier 26
Tanak 18
Latvala 17
Meeke 17
Neuville 14
Evans 8
Lappi 6
Bouffier 4
Mikkelsen 3
Breen 2
Kopecky 1

Ford 33
Toyota 33
Citroën 18
Hyundai 14

I think.

#93 BRG

BRG

• 16,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 16:30

Based on this, it looks as if all four marques are pretty evenly matched, although I suspect Hyundai may just have the edge.  Citroen have apparently sorted out the handling quirk of last year although we need to see it on bumpier roads to be sure.  So it could be down to the drivers to make the difference.  In which case, congratulations to Ogier, the 2018 WRC.

#94 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,175 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 16:42

Based on this, it looks as if all four marques are pretty evenly matched, although I suspect Hyundai may just have the edge.  Citroen have apparently sorted out the handling quirk of last year although we need to see it on bumpier roads to be sure.  So it could be down to the drivers to make the difference.  In which case, congratulations to Ogier, the 2018 WRC.

Meeke doesn't agree:

"A horrendous weekend for us. An absolute nightmare. I can't get a feeling with the car. When its good we have to put everything on the line - it's not good enough."

Still, it's nice all major contenders (bar Mikkelsen) managed to get a nice haul of points. Sets up the rest of the season nicely.

#95 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 17:07

Meeke doesn't agree:

"A horrendous weekend for us. An absolute nightmare. I can't get a feeling with the car. When its good we have to put everything on the line - it's not good enough."

Still, it's nice all major contenders (bar Mikkelsen) managed to get a nice haul of points. Sets up the rest of the season nicely.

But he won the PS, which were a quite bumpy stage. Also, they still run the 2017 dampers, not the stuff they have developed for 2018, so it should be possible to gain there.

#96 sopa

sopa

• 11,298 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 17:08

My point isn't massively negative I might add. It is just remarkable that this French person called Sebastien is winning again thing has been going on since 2004. If it was a movie script it would be called implausible.

Guess they have set some set of a Guinness record already? Most consecutive World Championships with a certain given name.  :p

#97 mikerally

mikerally

• 250 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 18:20

Such a shame for Lappi ! I think he shows great potential.

Tanak was the biggest surprise imo. New car, new team and a fantastic performance. 

Ogier won't have it easy this season.

#98 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,075 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 19:31

Superb!

It's hard to wonder what Toyota, Citroen and Hyundai are doing in not getting better driver(s), even Mr. Ogier himself if their junior programs are not good enough...  :confused:

#99 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,381 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 21:50

As always, it'll just be Seb's sly grin at the end.

Well, you were right :D

Advertisement

#100 Berke

Berke

• 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 15:02

https://www.motorspo...acking-1004841/

So Safari Rally could come back in a couple of years. Which is I think good news.