F1 UK Coverage Thread 2018

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,694 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:04

The races that Channel 4 will be broadcasting live have been announced!

2018 UK F1 TV schedule

Australian Grand Prix, 23-25 March Sky only
Bahrain Grand Prix, 6-8 April Sky and Channel 4
Chinese Grand Prix, 13-15 April Sky
Azerbaijan Grand Prix, 27-29 April Sky and Channel 4
Spanish Grand Prix, 11-13 May Sky
Monaco Grand Prix, 25-27 May Sky and Channel 4
Canadian Grand Prix, 8-10 June Sky
French Grand Prix, 22-24 June Sky
Austrian Grand Prix, 29 June – 1 July Sky and Channel 4
British Grand Prix, 6-8 July Sky and Channel 4
German Grand Prix, 20-22 July Sky
Hungarian Grand Prix, 27-29 July Sky
Belgian Grand Prix, 24-26 August Sky and Channel 4
Italian Grand Prix, 31 August – 2 September Sky
Singapore Grand Prix, 14-16 September Sky and Channel 4
Russian Grand Prix, 28-30 September Sky
Japanese Grand Prix, 5-7 October Sky and Channel 4
United States Grand Prix, 19-21 October Sky and Channel 4
Mexican Grand Prix, 26-28 October Sky
Brazilian Grand Prix, 9-11 November Sky
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, 23-25 November Sky and Channel 4

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 46,832 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:39

Bit stupid to eschew the season opener for Bahrain.  Presumably that's because advertising rates are higher in the day. 

#3 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:46

Bit stupid to eschew the season opener for Bahrain. Presumably that's because advertising rates are higher in the day.

Probably, but you would think Bahrain will only pull the viewers in if its the championship decider. They won't rush to watch because its a great race.

#4 midgrid

midgrid

• 7,156 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:37

Channel 4 don't have free choice over which races to show live.

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 13:47

Not 100%, but they could have avoided bahrain if they wanted. I think it's a timeslot thing rather than considering the quality of the race.

#6 stewie

stewie

• 2,792 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 14:27

They sorta do, they get the first 3 picks, followed by sky the next 3 then they alternate til all the races are picked. So they can choose the best 3 if they wanted too - but instead they almost certainly pick the UK and Abu Dhabi...

#7 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 3,451 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 18:15

Why waste a live slot on a transmission in the middle of the night when most will watch the re-run the next day anyway.

#8 pdac

pdac

• 6,610 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 18:36

They sorta do, they get the first 3 picks, followed by sky the next 3 then they alternate til all the races are picked. So they can choose the best 3 if they wanted too - but instead they almost certainly pick the UK and Abu Dhabi...

Yep - exactly this. I suspect that they don't pick Australia as the time that it's on means that a lot of people will use their catch-up service and they can throw a bunch of adverts at them.

#9 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 19:01

I wuld expect they will pick evening slots, makes sense for the advertising revenue as well when more people are likely to watch.  but depends if they have to pay more for those, knowing F1 they probably do

#10 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 560 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 19:42

I could be wrong with this, but I thought I recalled when the split deal was first done the FTA broadcaster could only have the first or last race in their first pick of three, but not both...

#11 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 1,088 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 20:04

Why waste a live slot on a transmission in the middle of the night when most will watch the re-run the next day anyway.

Because they do not simply have a free choice of which races to choose to take live. There is an alternating picking process, as well as restrictions to prevent long runs of free-to-air or Sky exclusive live races.

#12 ar1

ar1

• 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 21:51

Sadly all irrelevant after this season, unless Sky decide to throw us some scraps from their table! :(

#13 pdac

pdac

• 6,610 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 00:15

I could be wrong with this, but I thought I recalled when the split deal was first done the FTA broadcaster could only have the first or last race in their first pick of three, but not both...

According to https://f1broadcasti...dar-pick-order/ article, the pick process goes as follows:

– Channel 4 pick three races (pick 1, 2 and 3)
– Sky pick three races (pick 4, 5 and 6)
– Channel 4 pick one race (pick 7)
– Sky pick one race (pick 8)

This continues until every race has been picked.

There's no mention of them only being allowed to have the first or last race.

#14 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,186 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:45

Looking at the comments on Twitter, many people have no idea it will be highlights (except Brit GP) only next year.

I would like to know some detail of what we will get from 2019

#15 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 480 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 13:30

I'd be surprised if there isn't a highlights package on one of the terrestrial channels next year.
Might have to wait until the Monday like they do with MotoGP on ITV2?
Surely it will appear somewhere accessible...

#16 stewie

stewie

• 2,792 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 13:33

I'd be surprised if there isn't a highlights package on one of the terrestrial channels next year.
Might have to wait until the Monday like they do with MotoGP on ITV2?
Surely it will appear somewhere accessible...

When sky is concerned, I wouldn’t always bet on it...

#17 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 1,646 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 18:59

Even in king pay tv America they show the best NBA/NFL games live on FTA channels for everyone to see the product. Only F1 and Sky will manage to kill the sport, Sky have less than a million viewers on their F1 channel and I don't see it increase in the future. 

Edited by SonGoku, 30 January 2018 - 18:59.

#18 pdac

pdac

• 6,610 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 21:51

Even in king pay tv America they show the best NBA/NFL games live on FTA channels for everyone to see the product. Only F1 and Sky will manage to kill the sport, Sky have less than a million viewers on their F1 channel and I don't see it increase in the future. 

I don't have Sky Sports, so I don't know what it's like now, but I would guess that all Sky channels will be bombarded with adverts for the F1 coverage in the lead-up and follow-up to the coverage going exclusive. Also, they are going to be pushing Now TV like there is no tomorrow (well, they are already, but I'm sure F1 will be part of future campaigns).

#19 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,552 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 22:15

I don't have Sky Sports, so I don't know what it's like now, but I would guess that all Sky channels will be bombarded with adverts for the F1 coverage in the lead-up and follow-up to the coverage going exclusive. Also, they are going to be pushing Now TV like there is no tomorrow (well, they are already, but I'm sure F1 will be part of future campaigns).

They are moving to delivering their service over the internet, so expect a big push there.

Advertisement

#20 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 22:44

And that will mean a sub probably, not sure how sky will work on subs, is going to have to be a different model surely.

At the moment, somehow, the system works that they tell you what you the paying customer can watch, and you pay them, you cant negotiate with those channels, that is the price.

Now, they are moving to a system where you the customer "should"" be able to pay for exactly what you want.  So if you ONLY want to watch F1, you ought to be able to pay for just that.  Rather than having to pay for ther stuff like football, rugby, golf etc.

interesting to see how they do it.

Sub only for me is the worst option, as then you lose all hope of new fans engaging, unless their social media stuff suddenly gets amazing,as for some reason that seem to be the ONLY way people watch anything these days.

#21 pdac

pdac

• 6,610 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 23:35

They are moving to delivering their service over the internet, so expect a big push there.

Yes, and Now TV is their star offering at the moment.

#22 pdac

pdac

• 6,610 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 23:36

And that will mean a sub probably, not sure how sky will work on subs, is going to have to be a different model surely.

At the moment, somehow, the system works that they tell you what you the paying customer can watch, and you pay them, you cant negotiate with those channels, that is the price.

Now, they are moving to a system where you the customer "should"" be able to pay for exactly what you want.  So if you ONLY want to watch F1, you ought to be able to pay for just that.  Rather than having to pay for ther stuff like football, rugby, golf etc.

interesting to see how they do it.

Sub only for me is the worst option, as then you lose all hope of new fans engaging, unless their social media stuff suddenly gets amazing,as for some reason that seem to be the ONLY way people watch anything these days.

Now TV - that's how.

#23 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,228 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:20

How the new race times will affect the UK broadcast times.

https://f1broadcasti...k-fans-in-2018/

uk-f1-2018-session-start-times.png

#24 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 13:44

10 quid per race

If you think that is value, fair enough

I dont. Its a sport for the very rich, largely funded by the very rich and staffed by the very rich, yet we are supposed to have to pay for it?

Have a laugh

#25 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,228 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 13:49

10 quid per race

If you think that is value, fair enough

I dont. Its a sport for the very rich, largely funded by the very rich and staffed by the very rich, yet we are supposed to have to pay for it?

Have a laugh

#26 DS27

DS27

• 2,999 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 14:02

I would just use a hammer.

#27 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,228 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 21:04

Source: https://f1broadcasti...of-2018-season/

No live F1 testing coverage ahead of 2018 season

Formula 1 fans hoping to see more than a sneak peek of the 2018 machinery may be disappointed, as there will be no live coverage of testing ahead of the new season, I can confirm.

At the back-end of 2017, there were rumblings that Formula One Management (FOM) would provide enhanced testing coverage this year. The suggestions were amplified by comments made during Sky Sports F1’s coverage of the season-closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where pit lane reporter Ted Kravitz noted that commentator David Croft would be “standing in a commentary box” for long periods of time during testing, alluding to the potential of live coverage.

The idea was that FOM would use Sky’s personnel on commentary for their coverage of testing, with coverage airing on Sky’s F1 channel, and via FOM’s new over-the-top platform or YouTube. However, I can now reveal that plans have not come to fruition. The news means that the first-time fans will see cars in live action will be during the Australian Grand Prix weekend in late-March. The one time testing aired live was in 2013, the move primarily designed to promote Sky’s 3D offering.

I understand that FOM will provide a similar level of coverage to last year’s testing season, with clips, such as on-board footage, shared via social media, and live segments from the paddock on Facebook during the on-track lunch break.

#28 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 1,646 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 21:42

Another great missed opportunity. They claim to be an F1 dedicated channel, but you have to pay big bucks to only see the races, which in some countries is still on FTA. Value for money lol.

#29 Mart280

Mart280

• 380 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 17:16

I cant wait to see Paul Ricard in HD.

#30 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,170 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:22

I do enjoy these Sky notebooks about testing. I've just watched Ted Kravitz trying to balance a toy bus on a chicken wishbone. You just don't get that in other sports.

#31 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,228 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:40

There is a half price 9 month Now TV deal for £150.

https://www.nowtv.co...mo/formula1pass

Put yourself in pole position with the NOW TV Formula 1® Season Pass. Catch every practice, qualifying and race including 11 exclusively live on the dedicated Sky Sports F1 channel for just £150, saving you over 50%.

With a new season comes new drama and of course all the action from the defending champion Lewis Hamilton. We saw him breeze through 2017 but expect the rivalry with Vettel to be revved up once more, starting with the ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX on 25 March.

Not only that but your 9 month NOW TV Formula 1® Season Pass gives you unlimited access to 10 Sky Sports channels. Catch the biggest Premier League and Championship matches, world-class cricket and the biggest golf tournaments for less.

Edited by johnmhinds, 02 March 2018 - 14:21.

#32 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:59

I still wonder if Channel 4 will be granted the option by Sky of showing highlights from next season...

#33 nugat

nugat

• 112 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 14:00

There is a new 9 month Now TV deal for £150.

https://www.nowtv.co...mo/formula1pass

I got excited for a minute until I remembered that Now TV has no catchup/OnDemand service.

But as it doesn't it's pretty useless IMO, most people are at work when the practice sessions are live. I can only speak for myself but I don't often watch races live either, I record and then watch when it's convenient.

So I will have to endure another year of paying for the regular Sky Sports channels and no doubt most of it will go to subsidising ball sports :mad:

If only FOM would put something together like the MotoGP VideoPass.

#34 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 14:04

Another great missed opportunity. They claim to be an F1 dedicated channel, but you have to pay big bucks to only see the races, which in some countries is still on FTA. Value for money lol.

Maybe so but are many people seriously going to watch a test session of which long periods of time have no track action?

Sky did broadcast a session years ago, right around the time that I watched every bit of F1 available to me. Even I got bored quickly.

#35 pdac

pdac

• 6,610 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 14:08

I got excited for a minute until I remembered that Now TV has no catchup/OnDemand service.

But as it doesn't it's pretty useless IMO, most people are at work when the practice sessions are live. I can only speak for myself but I don't often watch races live either, I record and then watch when it's convenient.

So I will have to endure another year of paying for the regular Sky Sports channels and no doubt most of it will go to subsidising ball sports :mad:

If only FOM would put something together like the MotoGP VideoPass.

But you're "saving over 50%"

#36 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,228 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 14:27

But you're "saving over 50%"

It's normally £33.99 a month and this deal is only £16.66 a month so over 50% is right.

Sure it's only for live TV and is still only a 720p stream still but it's by far the cheapest way for anyone in the UK to legally watch all the F1 races and other sports this year.

#37 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 15,884 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 14:29

It's an okay deal, the upfront payment is frustrating alongside being "only" 720p.

#38 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,461 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 14:39

Nico Rosberg will be part of the Sky commentary team for "key" races in 2018, starting in Melbourne

Not sure how I feel about this. He didn't add as much insight as I had hoped last season, but perhaps he was just finding his feet. 

#39 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 6,741 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:01

Nico Rosberg will be part of the Sky commentary team for "key" races in 2018, starting in Melbourne

Not sure how I feel about this. He didn't add as much insight as I had hoped last season, but perhaps he was just finding his feet. 

His first quote to them was "The weakness Lewis has is a bit of inconsistency.", I think that tells you what to expect this season again.

Edited by Jordan44, 19 March 2018 - 15:01.

Advertisement

#40 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 741 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:30

Honestly, I wish they'd talk to him about everything else but Mercedes or Lewis.

Watching him in Japan last year left me torn. Sometimes I felt a bit sorry for him when he had to acknowledge how strong Lewis was while other times I was infuriated by Sky digging in for Lewis' weaknesses and how Nico beat him in 2016. 

I liked Nico before he went up against Lewis but I saw sides of him during that battle that I really didn't like and now it's hard to forget about that part of him when watching him on anything. It doesn't help that every second conversation has to be about Lewis/Mercedes/Toto etc.

#41 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,157 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:25

His first quote to them was "The weakness Lewis has is a bit of inconsistency.", I think that tells you what to expect this season again.

For sure.

#42 Burai

Burai

• 1,335 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:44

Give him time. I remember how awful Martin Brundle was in 1995.

#43 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 4,713 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:46

Sky concentrate a lot of their coverage on Mercedes as it is. Now with Nico added it's likely to continue even more.

#44 P123

P123

• 14,806 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:50

Nico was surprisingly poor on Sky given how articulate he usually was in interviews. He was guarded, a little bit awkward and clearly was still feeling a bit of needle with his ex-teammate.

#45 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 1,646 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 18:36

Rosberg won't add much, because the only topics will be Hamilton and Mercedes and he will always be the guy that left his team hanging.

#46 kraduk

kraduk

• 667 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 19:21

Has anything been published about the location of the new F1 pro coverage? I know it's not available in the UK but they seem to be leaving publishing it's location rather late.

#47 fifi

fifi

• 12,224 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:33

i hope crofty and ted drop the whole mr plough stuff, it was amusing the first time but it will drive me mad all year of they carry on with it

#48 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 6,741 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:53

I am enjoying this new look F1 show already. Stage setup in the paddock is a great idea. It desperately needed a shakeup.

#49 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,862 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:59

I am enjoying this new look F1 show already. Stage setup in the paddock is a great idea. It desperately needed a shakeup.

I agree, it's got potential.

This segment needs new younger more vibrant presenters though. It's a little awks.

#50 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 6,741 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:01

I agree, it's got potential.

This segment needs new younger more vibrant presenters though. It's a little awks.

The only people Sky have that fit that category are Di Resta and Rosberg... maybe not  :lol:

Edited by Jordan44, 24 March 2018 - 08:01.