• 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:01

enjoying this new look F1 show, was really a good new take on it

Advertisement

#52 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,862 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:05

The only people Sky have that fit that category are Di Resta and Rosberg... maybe not :lol:

Haha I said new. New being the key word!

My god SkyF1 are crazy!

It's an #Ask'Crofty' vs #AskNico hashtag war. Woahhh. Those crazy party animals!

#53 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 2,398 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:06

At least they’re putting a bit of effort in and not just having two or three of them talking endlessly about some inane point or bullshit rumour.

#54 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,252 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:09

#madlads

#55 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,862 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:10

At least they’re putting a bit of effort in and not just having two or three of them talking endlessly about some inane point or bullshit rumour.

Very true.

Top marks for trying something new and it would work, it's a nice concept.

Just the presenting is forced, low energy and naff.

Your parents down the pub, they've had a bit to drink, think they're cool and you're acting like you don't know them.

#56 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 6,741 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:19

This is so much better, even if it is a little forced. They are actually making an effort to pre-record segments, which is something that has been lacking a lot in volume on Sky in recent years. How long it'll last though before it declines again is the question.

#57 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,543 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:43

It's really annoying how we don't always get to see the top three drivers conference post qualifying. I was a little sleepy still but I only recall quickly being shown the "wipe the smile off your face" comment briefly whilst the Sky team waffle on before they ended the coverage.

I like the more recent format of having the top three return to the starting grid and give a few words right out of the car with the adrenaline still pumping but I feel like we should always get to see the proper interview with them afterwards. Still waiting for it to come up on the official youtube page.

#58 onemoresolo

onemoresolo

• 822 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 08:27

I don't think Brundle covered himself in glory with the VSC, with him and Croft eventually deciding that going down the pitlane under VSC is quicker than the delta on the track itself.

The obvious fact is that you lose far less time pitting under VSC because simply, cars nor pitting are ~10 seconds slower down the pit straight. Your relative time loss is greatly reduced, needing a 12 second lead or so, rather than 22.

This isn't the first time this situation has happened so I was very surprised that they just couldn't grasp how Vettel was now ahead. For Brundle to conclude it must be faster to drive through the pitlane was poor.

#59 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,177 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:33

Disappointed to see David Croft hasn't improved at all.

I cringed especially hard when he yelped that 'Ferrari have taken the opening salvo of 2018', meaning that the sound clip they'll use again and again doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Advertisement

#60 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 15,901 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:35

Disappointed to see David Croft hasn't improved at all.

The only time he was a respectable commentator was for the first 25-30 seconds of live broadcast, which is obviously pre-rehearsed.

Edited by TomNokoe, 25 March 2018 - 11:35.

#61 ilferrari

ilferrari

• 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:45

The only time he was a respectable commentator was for the first 25-30 seconds of live broadcast, which is obviously pre-rehearsed.

*squeals* AND IT'S LIGHTS OUT AND AWAY WE GO

*shouting* ROUND THE OUTSIDE INTO TURN ONE

#62 E.B.

E.B.

• 4,189 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:56

I'm on Virgin Media, XL package, and find that the Sky Sports channels seem to be available to me this weekend.

Is there some kind of promotion on or did I accidentally buy a Sky subscription whilst drunk? Given that I'm not watching F1 this season, I would have to have been VERY drunk.

#63 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 22:21

*squeals* AND IT'S LIGHTS OUT AND AWAY WE GO

That's copyright © Ben Edwards.

#64 loki

loki

• 5,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 02:16

It's an #Ask'Crofty' vs #AskNico hashtag war. Woahhh. Those crazy party animals!

I was wondering what they meant by "party mode"...

#65 subh

subh

• 1,109 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:28

Does anyone here know of a way to contact Liberty Media (about individual broadcasters' performances)?  I'd like to highlight what I think might count as a serious omission, or even a failure to fulfil the remit, but as ever relevant contact details are hard to find.

#66 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 4,763 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:40

I switch on five minutes before race time.

Switch off as soon as the podium starts -- I like listening to the drivers in the green room, but after that it's a bore.  :yawnface:

:up:

#67 pdac

pdac

• 6,618 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 10:47

Does anyone here know of a way to contact Liberty Media (about individual broadcasters' performances)?  I'd like to highlight what I think might count as a serious omission, or even a failure to fulfil the remit, but as ever relevant contact details are hard to find.

I'm sure if Liberty felt that a broadcaster was not fulfilling their contractual obligations to them, they would be onto it themselves. If they are not fulfilling their contractual obligations to you, then I'm sure Liberty would advise you to contact the broadcaster to register your dissatisfaction.

#68 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,124 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:05

Having recently unsubscribed from Sky I now have to rely on C4 and tbf, aside from not all races being live the team and the actual programming delivery are pretty strong.

I really not a fan of Steve Jones though.

#69 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:07

I also cancelled Sky recently so C4 is the only way I'll be able to see any F1.

I didn't see any of the coverage over the weekend as had other things on but couldn't see it on C4 catch-up. Is it never available to watch that way?

#70 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:09

That's copyright © Ben Edwards.

They both do it, which shows some serious lack of imagination on the part of one of them!

Although I'm sure I've heard that idiot Croft descrbe them as "those 7 magical words" before....

#71 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,124 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:10

It is up on catch up now and im currently watching it, didn't see their highlght show yesterday. I think they put it up the day after airing.

#72 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 779 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:11

Having recently unsubscribed from Sky I now have to rely on C4 and tbf, aside from not all races being live the team and the actual programming delivery are pretty strong.

I really not a fan of Steve Jones though.

Definitely strong. Nobody's perfect, but Edwards and Coulthard are pretty good, while Karun Chandok is brilliant. Nothing wrong with Steve Jones as a presenter; he's just unnecessary.

#73 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 779 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:13

I also cancelled Sky recently so C4 is the only way I'll be able to see any F1.

I didn't see any of the coverage over the weekend as had other things on but couldn't see it on C4 catch-up. Is it never available to watch that way?

I watched it on All4, which is their catch up service. You'll need to sign in, but it's here:

http://www.channel4....ammes/formula-1

#74 monolulu

monolulu

• 748 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:58

Definitely strong. Nobody's perfect, but Edwards and Coulthard are pretty good, while Karun Chandok is brilliant. Nothing wrong with Steve Jones as a presenter; he's just unnecessary.

Channel 4 ignored the most significant incident of the race! Just made a comment about Vettel knowing the rules & then concentrated on the Haas cars. No explanation to their audience how the lead had been lost till after the race 👎

Edited by monolulu, 26 March 2018 - 13:59.

#75 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 14:03

I watched it on All4, which is their catch up service. You'll need to sign in, but it's here:

http://www.channel4....ammes/formula-1

Ah right, I think it'll be because I haven't actually created an account ot watch it.

Thanks!

#76 secessionman

secessionman

• 304 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 21:41

The C4 highlights were certainly up on All4 no later than 10pm Sunday.

One thing that impressed me with C4 was that all the in-race ad breaks consisted solely of the Bose ident so all done in about 30 secs. Not sure if the terrestrial broadcast was the same but, considering this was a delayed highlights package, I could certainly live with that.

#77 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 1,992 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 22:18

Managed to catch the race live on sky and was actually my first experience of "Crofty" as I usually just stick to the C4 coverage. Wasn't quite as bad as some people say but irritating all the same. I'm sure at one point actually he said they are in 'Melbourne, Mexico' but not sure if I was hearing things.

Surprised at the poor quality of Brundel's commentary as I haven't heard him for a while. For example when he seemed to think Vettel's car had an issue with the engine late on in the race as some smoke was coming out, was obvious it was just the oil. Would have thought someone of his experience would recognise that.

The C4 highlights coverage was very good as usual. Will miss it when gone.

Edited by Nicktendo86, 26 March 2018 - 22:18.

#78 monolulu

monolulu

• 748 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 17:55

In Rachel Brooke’s diary on Sky she talks about new formats for interviewing drivers which appears to restrict access. This seems to go against Liberties’ ideas of the drivers being centre of the show. Worth a read.

#79 loki

loki

• 5,110 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:28

In Rachel Brooke’s diary on Sky she talks about new formats for interviewing drivers which appears to restrict access. This seems to go against Liberties’ ideas of the drivers being centre of the show. Worth a read.

When you say the access to drivers is restricted it's misrepresenting what is happening.  The mandatory pen interviews are now done by Buxton and are distributed as a pool feed to the live broadcasters.   This content is also available from FOM and at the moment free of charge to viewers.   They want the live broadcasters to field questions in the interview room not the pen.  While the pen has become a pool feed for the top finishers there is nothing stopping them from interviewing drivers during the routine media scrums the teams host or at other pre arranged times with the team.  Previously in the pen you weren't guaranteed they would answer your question though for Sky I'd imagine they would.  You still had to get the press wrangler to get the driver over to you.  Now you need to ask those questions in the post race presser and not the pen.

Brookes seemed to be more put out because she didn't want to ask Vettel about the "wipe the smile" comment with Hamilton next to him.  It appears she'd rather be more of a publicist than a journalist at that point.  She's still getting access to the drivers but she doesn't want to offend their delicate sensibilities by asking direct questions within earshot of a rival driver.  That's weak journalism right there.

I couldn't very easily ask Sebastian Vettel about wiping the smile off Lewis' face while Lewis was sitting next to him. If I had, then when I asked Lewis a question I expect l would have got short shrift from him and understandably so. Likewise if the situation was reversed, I would have expected Seb to be short had I said to Lewis that Sebastian had got lucky with the VSC.

Advertisement

#80 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 894 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 09:40

Managed to catch the race live on sky and was actually my first experience of "Crofty" as I usually just stick to the C4 coverage. Wasn't quite as bad as some people say but irritating all the same. I'm sure at one point actually he said they are in 'Melbourne, Mexico' but not sure if I was hearing things.

Surprised at the poor quality of Brundel's commentary as I haven't heard him for a while. For example when he seemed to think Vettel's car had an issue with the engine late on in the race as some smoke was coming out, was obvious it was just the oil. Would have thought someone of his experience would recognise that.

The C4 highlights coverage was very good as usual. Will miss it when gone.

It was chucking out more oil than normal. We all wondered if it was a problem because it hadn't done that in the previous 40 laps

#81 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,862 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 13:28

It was chucking out more oil than normal. We all wondered if it was a problem because it hadn't done that in the previous 40 laps

A lot of us hoped  :rotfl:

#82 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 13:47

When you say the access to drivers is restricted it's misrepresenting what is happening.  The mandatory pen interviews are now done by Buxton and are distributed as a pool feed to the live broadcasters.   This content is also available from FOM and at the moment free of charge to viewers.   They want the live broadcasters to field questions in the interview room not the pen.  While the pen has become a pool feed for the top finishers there is nothing stopping them from interviewing drivers during the routine media scrums the teams host or at other pre arranged times with the team.  Previously in the pen you weren't guaranteed they would answer your question though for Sky I'd imagine they would.  You still had to get the press wrangler to get the driver over to you.  Now you need to ask those questions in the post race presser and not the pen.

Brookes seemed to be more put out because she didn't want to ask Vettel about the "wipe the smile" comment with Hamilton next to him.  It appears she'd rather be more of a publicist than a journalist at that point.  She's still getting access to the drivers but she doesn't want to offend their delicate sensibilities by asking direct questions within earshot of a rival driver.  That's weak journalism right there.

She's hopeless anyway.

#83 HerbieMcQueen

HerbieMcQueen

• 5 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 16:26

I get the sense that Sky has always been a little bit 'tabloid' - looking for bits of drama to pounce on. Same thing happened to Brundle when he moved over from the BBC, he became less of a racer and more of a corporate drone. I still like his output, but I noticed a difference. 

#84 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,203 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:33

No Ted Kravitz this weekend. He's with his new born daughter for the weekend. https://twitter.com/...131971601592320

Therefore, no notebook.  :cry: 

But congrats to Ted and the family!  :clap: 

#85 Mart280

Mart280

• 380 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 15:31

Doesn't the phrase "In all her Glory" usually refer to someone who is naked ? because thats what croft just said about Rachel Brookes. 

#86 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 344 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 15:43

Doesn't the phrase "In all her Glory" usually refer to someone who is naked ? because thats what croft just said about Rachel Brookes. 

Yeah it does.  

New way for her to get the attention of the drivers?

#87 Mart280

Mart280

• 380 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 15:49

Croft's slip of the tongue, pervy old git.

#88 Grenville

Grenville

• 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 19:11

David Croft is employed as a commentator. That's his remit and he has all the available coverage at hand to add information and colour to what viewers can see on their screens.

What he fails to understand is that nobody is in any way interested in listening to his personal life whether it's to do with who he had a meal with or his experiences as a rally co-driver or anything not related to Formula One especially when cars are on track.

And don't get me going about the shouting. Totally overboard and unnecessary!

#89 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 6,741 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 19:20

David Croft is employed as a commentator. That's his remit and he has all the available coverage at hand to add information and colour to what viewers can see on their screens.

What he fails to understand is that nobody is in any way interested in listening to his personal life whether it's to do with who he had a meal with or his experiences as a rally co-driver or anything not related to Formula One especially when cars are on track.

And don't get me going about the shouting. Totally overboard and unnecessary!

It's very hard to find good things to say about a terrible product.

Edited by Jordan44, 06 April 2018 - 19:20.

#90 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,888 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 19:53

I find it such a shame that when F1 TV producers got the commentary team absolutely right with Martin Brundle and David Coulthard in the box, Ted in the pits and Lee Mac in the paddock, it only lasted one year.

#91 Fonzey

Fonzey

• 457 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 13:32

Anyone having lipsync issues on sky sports F1?

#92 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 1,446 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 14:11

I find it such a shame that when F1 TV producers got the commentary team absolutely right with Martin Brundle and David Coulthard in the box, Ted in the pits and Lee Mac in the paddock, it only lasted one year.

I must be in the minority but Martin Brundle didn't shine for me in a leaders commentator's position in my opinion. Ive got a lot of the 2011 races recorded and most of there talking was awkward at best.  

Edited by Synkro89, 08 April 2018 - 14:12.

#93 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,234 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 14:24

Hey Channel 4, we know Steve Jones is Welsh, Mark Webber is Australian and David Coulthard is Scottish. we don't need to have Steve Jones referencing their birth places every 10 minutes.

#94 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,694 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 14:32

I thought that was quite a revealing interview with Hamilton on C4.

#95 Counterbalance

Counterbalance

• 695 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 15:00

Sky F1 are giving uhd coverage and race control feed for free on the red button. You need a Sky Q box of course, but they've upend their game.

Impressed, I'm looking forward to this.

#96 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 15:07

First live coverage of the season I have seen - get this superhero intro music to f***

#97 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 15:07

I thought that was quite a revealing interview with Hamilton on C4.

I thought it was the same rubbish we get every 3 to 4 races when they sit down with him. 

#98 R Soul

R Soul

• 1,435 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 17:19

I must be in the minority but Martin Brundle didn't shine for me in a leaders commentator's position in my opinion. Ive got a lot of the 2011 races recorded and most of there talking was awkward at best.  

I also didn't think they were a good choice. I found them both too technical, whereas the lead commentator needs to be more excitable.

#99 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,694 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 12:41

@C4Press
FollowFollow @C4Press
More

Live coverage of @C4F1 #BahrainGP drew the biggest TV audience yesterday from 3.45pm to 6.20pm averaging 2.7m - 3.6m peak, most popular for 16-34 year olds and outperformed last year's #BahrainGP

Advertisement

#100 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 14:41

Saw this mashup between F1's new intro and the 90's intro...Total fluff, but it brings back good memories:

Edited by Jamiednm, 09 April 2018 - 14:47.