* * * - - 4 votes

F1 UK Coverage Thread 2018

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#101 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,177 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 15:14

Watched C4's coverage of the last one. I think they're a lot better than Sky now. The Edwards-Coulthard partnership is very strong and Webber and Wolff are miles better than Johnny Herbert.

My only complaint is a common one - Steve Jones. I get that they're trying to make their coverage a bit less stale for the yoof of today, but come on. He ain't presenting T4 anymore.

Advertisement

#102 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 1,992 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 15:57

Used to have a real dislike of Steve Jones but I honestly don't mind him on the C4 F1 coverage, doesn't bother me at all.

#103 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 7,862 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 18:31

I don't get the hate for Steve Jones.

Then again I'm not a stuffy old grump.

So, ya know.

:p

#104 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 6,598 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 19:29

Steve Jones is good.

#105 alframsey

alframsey

• 2,124 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 19:45

C4 is great I think, brilliant even and Sky could learn something. I love the Webber - Coulthard dynamic and the commentary team is so much stronger than Sky. I really like Brundle but can't stand Croft and love Edwards and Coulthard.

I like how C4 is more plauful than Sky but also delivers on the more detailed side too. Only gripe is Steve Jones. So poor and his interview with Hamilton was cringe worthy.

Edited by alframsey, 09 April 2018 - 21:10.

#106 pdac

pdac

• 6,618 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 21:07

@C4Press
FollowFollow @C4Press
More

Live coverage of @C4F1 #BahrainGP drew the biggest TV audience yesterday from 3.45pm to 6.20pm averaging 2.7m - 3.6m peak, most popular for 16-34 year olds and outperformed last year's #BahrainGP

The Halo is obviously bringing in the viewers. They should have put it on years ago  :stoned:

#107 P123

P123

• 14,812 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 21:35

C4 is great I think, brilliant even and Sky could learn something. I love the Webber - Coulthard dynamic and the commentary team is so much stronger than Sky. I really like Brundle but can't stand Croft and love Edwards and Coulthard.

I like how C4 is more plauful than Sky but also delivers on the more detailed side too. Only gripe is Steve Jones. So poor and his interview with Hamilton was cringe worthy.

The Sky presenting team are a bit stale, and even Brundle, who rather than dragging the rest up seems to have given up and now plays along with whatever the editorial slant of the day is. You don't really learn anything from him now. No longer a voice of authority. If he's not busy thinking something is wrong with Vettel's car in Oz, he's mistakenly identifying the expanded DRS as being on the main straight in Bahrain. There must be two or three 'eh?' moments from him each race over the past couple of seasons. The C4 duo of Edwards and DC are so much sharper. I've also noticed he keeps on mugging to the camera post-race with some weird smug smirk. Seems that he's been Sky'd. :)

#108 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 2,546 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 07:51

I think Steve Jones is really good on C4 F1. I found him irritating at first, but he has really grown in to the role and has great chemistry with the rest of the team. I think C4's presenting and commentary team blows Sky's socks off. Their presentation is excellent. I've always liked DC (and his innuendo bingo), and Ben Edwards is the best F1 commentator since Murray Walker for me.

#109 subh

subh

• 1,109 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:39

I agree with all those who rate the Channel 4 team ahead of those on Sky. Karun Chandhok is very good as well as those mentioned. However, after the podium interviews in Bahrain it was very noticeable that the official RACE RESULT graphic came onto the screen and they quickly cut away to presenters. They really ought to show the results screens, because when they get round to their own version it’s only ever the top ten. Why not tell us the full result?

#110 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,234 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:29

Channel 4 cut away to ads right after the race ended and didn't come back until the drivers were coming out on to the podium, so they missed the drivers getting out of the cars and being in the cool down room.

Edited by johnmhinds, 10 April 2018 - 12:29.

#111 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,554 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:42

Channel 4 cut away to ads right after the race ended and didn't come back until the drivers were coming out on to the podium, so they missed the drivers getting out of the cars and being in the cool down room.

Most of the people I know who bother to watch the race switch off as soon as the flag drops.

#112 jules153

jules153

• 163 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 14:21

I can't fault C4 coverage and Ben Edwards pretty much strikes the perfect line between keeps things interesting and not going OTT :up:

#113 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 6,598 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 14:47

where are ted's notebooks?

can't find them on the sky website.

sky sticking everything behind a paywall now they got all the rights and no competition?  :mad:

EDIT: just saw he is on paternity leave. Congrats Ted!

Edited by SCUDmissile, 13 April 2018 - 14:50.

#114 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,292 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 14:58

Channel 4 has the best coverage hands down and the more interesting team of pundits/presenters. How many times am I going to tune into sky coverage and listen to Simon lazenby look like he’s winging it and listen to Johnny “sort of” Herbert trying to sort of say something.. sort of. Oh and crofty making 2 mistakes in 1 one go thinking Ricciardo made an overtake when infact he was in exactly the same position defending and it wasn’t even Ricciardo in the first place it was Verstappen! I think he read my comment on here about the halo confusing him even more because he actually blamed it on that later in the race.

Edited by Danyy, 13 April 2018 - 15:08.

#115 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 484 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 16:37

Have all broadcasters stopped showing the team principals press conference or only sky UK?

#116 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 15,901 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 16:40

where are ted's notebooks?

can't find them on the sky website.

sky sticking everything behind a paywall now they got all the rights and no competition? :mad:

EDIT: just saw he is on paternity leave. Congrats Ted!

He's back for China.

#117 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 6,801 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 17:51

Have all broadcasters stopped showing the team principals press conference or only sky UK?

They were generally a little more entertaining than the drivers PC, gone the same way as decent graphics and, something that I always looked forward to, the radio transcripts on F1fanatics, now racefans.

#118 ArchieTech

ArchieTech

• 1,088 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 19:00

Sky have it on their website if you're looking for it, but no idea why they've stopped broadcasting it as they have plenty of spare time on the channel to put it:

http://www.skysports...sser-chinese-gp

#119 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 6,801 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 22:46

Sky have it on their website if you're looking for it, but no idea why they've stopped broadcasting it as they have plenty of spare time on the channel to put it:

Geo-blocked for me.

Advertisement

#120 johnwilliamdavies

johnwilliamdavies

• 604 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:45

@f1broadcasting

A peak audience of 3.32 million viewers watched the #ChineseGP across @C4F1 and @SkySportsF1 yesterday, up nearly half a million viewers year-on-year and highest numbers for China since 2015. @overnightstv

#121 Peat

Peat

• 3,416 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:06

Watched the 5min YT highlights. Good lord, why does Crofty KEEP SHOUTING? The way the highlights are cut makes it quite funny, it makes it seem like he's shouting maniacally for 2hrs. 

#122 ilferrari

ilferrari

• 156 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:18

Watched the 5min YT highlights. Good lord, why does Crofty KEEP SHOUTING?

That's exactly why they hire him. His commentary is loud, contrived, shallow and obvious, and FOM are after those audiences, particularly kids and casual viewers.

James Hunt was the opposite of Croft. He really knew his stuff, and talked like an adult in a natural manner.

#123 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,554 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 13:51

That's exactly why they hire him. His commentary is loud, contrived, shallow and obvious, and FOM are after those audiences, particularly kids and casual viewers.

James Hunt was the opposite of Croft. He really knew his stuff, and talked like an adult in a natural manner.

https://www.youtube....h?v=5qqPQDBo_yU

James hunt was doing a different job to Crofty. You have to compare him to Murray Walker.

#124 peterkramer75

peterkramer75

• 68 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 15:07

It doesn't really matter how you compare,

To be honest, the modern way seems to shout like a cretin all the time in commentary, no doubt trying incite excitement.

They do it in bike racing, F1 supports and all sorts of other series.

Totally unnecessary.  But clearly a direction from people above sadly.

Why do these plebs seem to think we all need to be shouted at?

#125 StartLine

StartLine

• 162 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 19:22

This a completely personal decision but after the Chinese GP I've decided to cancel my Sky TV subscription, the coverage just isn't worth the money anymore and that's after more than a couple of decades of watching nearly every GP. Crofty I find particularly annoying but the rest isn't really that much better. To be fair, some of it isn't their fault, the world feed still usually looks like it's directed by someone who's never watched F1 (or perhaps any motor racing) before. And if I watched much else on Sky, other than F1, it would be a bit more cost effective, as it is though the value proposition just isn't there for me at the moment. 

I think if F1 TV was available in the UK I'd consider that, as it's a much more reasonable cost. I'll just have to watch what's on Channel 4 this year.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the season.

Edit: For bad spelling.

Edited by StartLine, 23 April 2018 - 08:41.

#126 Grenville

Grenville

• 52 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 20:34

It doesn't really matter how you compare,

To be honest, the modern way seems to shout like a cretin all the time in commentary, no doubt trying incite excitement.

They do it in bike racing, F1 supports and all sorts of other series.

Totally unnecessary.  But clearly a direction from people above sadly.

Why do these plebs seem to think we all need to be shouted at?

I fully agree as it is so distracting. By all means raise the commentary level a touch to match the content but never shout like a maniac. David Croft has so much to learn but sadly he is wrapped up in his own self importance.

#127 peggle

peggle

• 123 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:19

This a completely personal decision but after the Chinese GP I've decided to cancel my Sky TV subscription, the coverage just isn't worth the money anymore and that's after more a couple of decades of watching nearly every GP. Crofty I find particularly annoying but the rest isn't really that much better. To be fair, some of it isn't their fault, the world feed still usually looks like it's directed by someone who's never watch F1 (or perhaps any motor racing) before. And if I watched much else on Sky, other than F1, it would be a bit more cost effective, as it is though the value proposition just isn't there for me at the moment. 

I think if F1 TV was available in the UK I'd consider that, as it's a much more reasonable cost. I'll just have to watch what's on Channel 4 this year.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of the season.

Fair play, i did the same before the season started, high prices from Sky, Halo, mediocre coverage, far easier just to get the highlights from C4, since cancelling i,ve had 3 calls from sky trying to tempt  me back, not happening lol

#128 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 946 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:53

Watched the 5min YT highlights. Good lord, why does Crofty KEEP SHOUTING? The way the highlights are cut makes it quite funny, it makes it seem like he's shouting maniacally for 2hrs. 

Crofty trying to talk over the crappy new atmosphere-killing music is amusing. Not sure what's going on, but on Sky the new music, that FOM insist is run right up to start of the parade lap, is very high in the mix and Crofty is having to go extra shouty to shout over it. On C4, the 'music' was in the background and easy to hear the presenter talking over it.

BTW am I the only person who thinks the new music is awful? Sounds very dated and banal, like something from a 2003 James Bond computer game or an insurance call centre hold music. Don't imagine it's going to connect with the youth :drunk: .

Edited by screamingV16, 23 April 2018 - 07:54.

#129 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 215 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:45

Crofty trying to talk over the crappy new atmosphere-killing music is amusing. Not sure what's going on, but on Sky the new music, that FOM insist is run right up to start of the parade lap, is very high in the mix and Crofty is having to go extra shouty to shout over it. On C4, the 'music' was in the background and easy to hear the presenter talking over it.

BTW am I the only person who thinks the new music is awful? Sounds very dated and banal, like something from a 2003 James Bond computer game or an insurance call centre hold music. Don't imagine it's going to connect with the youth :drunk: .

I class as the 'youth' and I really like the new theme and think it builds up the tension and anticipation brilliantly!

#130 StartLine

StartLine

• 162 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:09

I class as the 'youth' and I really like the new theme and think it builds up the tension and anticipation brilliantly!

Maybe but wait till you've heard it 47 times.

#131 Jon83

Jon83

• 5,047 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:11

No you're not the only one. I hate it.

It reminds me of a WWE PPV Event intro.

#132 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 946 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:15

Wow really, fair enough! I thought the youth would think it's boring old fart music, I know I would have 20 years ago. Kills it for me, sounds very generic (like something from a corporate video) and completely unrelated to motorsport.

#133 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,888 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:31

I think Channel 4 does a better job at sounding contemporary with their drum and bassy electronica stuff when they go to advert breaks. They sound like interpretations of F1 engine sounds in a way that's a bit clevever than just overlaying some "nnnneeeeow" noises over the top of generic orchestral music.

Reminds me a little bit of the stuff Jez from Peep Show used to compose from his bedroom in Peckham, admittedly.

#134 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,203 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 10:45

imo the Skyf1 team would be 1000% better in an instant if they dumped Croft, I'm glad I'm not watching it live this year because the past few years I've had to constantly mute the TV before I hurled something at it.  The guy is a complete buffoon and I have no clue how the hell he keeps his job, he is utterly useless and annoying.

#135 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:48

I think Channel 4 does a better job at sounding contemporary with their drum and bassy electronica stuff when they go to advert breaks. They sound like interpretations of F1 engine sounds in a way that's a bit clevever than just overlaying some "nnnneeeeow" noises over the top of generic orchestral music.

Reminds me a little bit of the stuff Jez from Peep Show used to compose from his bedroom in Peckham, admittedly.

It was Croydon, not Peckham. Think your getting mixed up with only fools. Just think of the place LH won't visit.

#136 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,888 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:50

Apologies, you're right!

#137 jannyg

jannyg

• 1,204 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 14:26

Most of the people I know who bother to watch the race switch off as soon as the flag drops.

So does that make it okay?  Your rather assuming that the people you know switch off so will everyone else 

Most of the people I know want to see the podium and driver celebrations.

#138 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,696 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 14:44

Regardless of commentators, presentation or anything else, Sky's coverage wins for me because it's live - that is the most important thing

#139 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 15,901 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 15:11

Q3 final runs, Suzuka 2017, outboard with Hamilton on the pole lap, exit of Dunlop.

David Croft
"The car responds with the speed of a naughty boy being hauled away from the sweet counter by his Mum when he's had too many fizzy cola bottles."

It's on the F1 YouTube page, watch it in disgust.

Edited by TomNokoe, 23 April 2018 - 15:12.

Advertisement

#140 pdac

pdac

• 6,618 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 15:23

So does that make it okay?  Your rather assuming that the people you know switch off so will everyone else 

I don't. I used to watch post-race, but the podium interviews and the electronic flags - I just can't stand to even have it on in the background.

#141 Clatter

Clatter

• 34,554 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 15:55

So does that make it okay? Your rather assuming that the people you know switch off so will everyone else

Nope, im not assuming anything. It was a conversational comment which needs to be taken in context.

#142 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 11,916 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 16:03

Sky need to overhaul their format and presenters ASAP, it's DULL DULL DULL. C4 is way better. Looking forward to their live coverage this weekend. Shame it's ending this year.

#143 pdac

pdac

• 6,618 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 16:20

Sky need to overhaul their format and presenters ASAP, it's DULL DULL DULL. C4 is way better. Looking forward to their live coverage this weekend. Shame it's ending this year.

Sky don't need to do anything - C4 will be gone next year.

#144 Amin

Amin

• 481 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 16:23

Does anyone here know how long it takes C4 to upload the race to their website after it's finished?

#145 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,177 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 18:46

I don't get the impression that Sky are actually that interested in providing decent coverage. They seem to like their extremely lame 'banter'. There is surely no other reason Johnny Herbert remains in work.

Don't get me wrong, there's a place for light-hearted coverage and commentary, but Q3 is not it and nor are Croft, Lazenby and Herbert any good at it.

#146 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 15:42

No Brundle this weekend:

Martin Brundle

Martin Brundle Retweeted Sky Sports F1  

I’m not in Azerbaijan this weekend (or Sochi and Suzuka later in the year) but my great and very talented friends at SkyF1 are of course. Because only Sky invest in bringing you every single minute and lap of F1 live, on various platforms, as listed below.

Thankfully, this race - as well as Japan - is live on Channel 4. I hope Brundle's alright though.

#147 Brian60

Brian60

• 125 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 17:08

The sad thing about Sky is that they came on the scene full of we are going to do this and this and this - and they did! We had really informative articles from Brundle, Herbert, DiResta and Hill, both technical and driven. Then in 2016 things began to change, fewer articles and less interest from the presenters. 2017 was more of the same, fewer items of interest, they brought on board the most dullest man (although technically brilliant) in F1 Pat Symonds. To me he brought nothing to the table with his commentary - nothing really that couldn't be covered by those already on the team. Then we move on to this season and I wonder why I pay so much a month for a channel I only watch for 6 days a month! Unless things improve, especially as we appoach the European rounds, then I reckon this will be the last year I pay Sky for what has turned into mediocre coverage.

#148 peterkramer75

peterkramer75

• 68 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:26

To be fair, the fact you are paying for it at all after the last few years is a miracle!

#149 djparky

djparky

• 644 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:20

I see that Sky's F2 coverage is now turning into the Lando Norris show, not at the same levels of the Lewis centric coverage of F1

#150 stewie

stewie

• 2,795 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:39

I see that Sky's F2 coverage is now turning into the Lando Norris show, not at the same levels of the Lewis centric coverage of F1

Do sky wrap any of their own coverage around F2 or is it just the world feed?