Photo
* * * * - 9 votes

McLaren MCL33 - With Actual New Car on p19!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4046 replies to this topic

#51 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,018 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:13

We are talking about nothing...  :p

Advertisement

#52 HP

HP

• 18,262 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:14

Too bad the halo has ruined F1 for me... for a couple of races until it's scrapped. 

Even if they scrap it, everybody needed to made changes to the chassis. Probably means scrap it earliest next season We'll have to get used for it this year.

#53 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,186 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:27

Too bad the halo has ruined F1 for me... for a couple of races until it's scrapped.

You’re going to be disappointed then.

#54 argiriano

argiriano

• 1,646 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:11

As a Renault fan I look forward to sharing any engine-related anguish with you guys   ;)

Oh, you are very wellcome, but have in mind that we have been trained hard for 3 years now, and you will be dealing with bespoke professionals!  :smoking: We are very confident that McLaren will do everything they could to make sure Renault PU look slow as hell and unreliable too. So be prepared!   ;)  

PS: You also have to learn how to use the Swingometer™ in a very short time, so steap learning curve ahead of you budy. Have fun! 

#55 Oblivion

Oblivion

• 873 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:10

Oh, you are very wellcome, but have in mind that we have been trained hard for 3 years now, and you will be dealing with bespoke professionals!  :smoking: We are very confident that McLaren will do everything they could to make sure Renault PU look slow as hell and unreliable too. So be prepared!   ;)  

PS: You also have to learn how to use the Swingometer™ in a very short time, so steap learning curve ahead of you budy. Have fun! 

I would add to that the ability to recognize transparent body parts... Just in 23 days we will need that.

#56 Hamm

Hamm

• 435 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:15

AIRGAIN PARTNERSHIP ANNOUNCED
https://www.mclaren....ive-innovation/

#57 argiriano

argiriano

• 1,646 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:35

I would add to that the ability to recognize transparent body parts... Just in 23 days we will need that.

Naaah, this is thing of the past, I am sure McLaren will go for something radical and innovative, like light-absorbing bodywork that feed the Energy Store with additional 15 to 20kw or something.

But I agree we have to be prapared and train our abilities to recognize these CLEAR advantages.  :stoned:

#58 CPR

CPR

• 5,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:48

Maybe I'm looking into it too much, but Alonso doing WEC only tells me that once again, 2018 will be more transition, rather than terrific.

Where's your expectations at?

Do you seriously expect the team to challenging for the championships, for example?

Most people, including me, think McLaren should reasonably aim for 4th in the constructors. Compared to last year that would be great but in absolute terms 4th is not that much for McLaren or Fernando.

#59 Dennista

Dennista

• 427 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:41

Where's your expectations at?

Do you seriously expect the team to challenging for the championships, for example?

Most people, including me, think McLaren should reasonably aim for 4th in the constructors. Compared to last year that would be great but in absolute terms 4th is not that much for McLaren or Fernando.

Anything less than beating Red Bull in the constructors standings will be a failure. I expect 3rd.

Advertisement

#60 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,251 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:17

AIRGAIN PARTNERSHIP ANNOUNCED
https://www.mclaren....ive-innovation/

Nice. Keep them coming Zak :) So far 2 announcements made. CNBC and AIRGAIN. I expect 2 or 3 more partnerships before the season starts.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 31 January 2018 - 12:17.

#61 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,251 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:21

Anything less than beating Red Bull in the constructors standings will be a failure. I expect 3rd.

It will be difficult to beat Red Bull this year because they know Renault engine inside out and this a big plus for them. Realistic expecatation should be 4th place and if we can finish above it will be excellent improvement.

#62 CPR

CPR

• 5,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 13:13

It will be difficult to beat Red Bull this year because they know Renault engine inside out and this a big plus for them. Realistic expecatation should be 4th place and if we can finish above it will be excellent improvement.

Yup. If we start beating RB regularly despite them having the home advantage and a bigger budget, then I'd expect them to start throwing around accusations of Renault favouring us or sabotaging them or things like that.

Putting it another way, I think our only realistic chances of finishing better than 4th in the constructors is if another team screws up their design or otherwise has major issues.

#63 loki0420

loki0420

• 944 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 13:27

Nice. Keep them coming Zak :) So far 2 announcements made. CNBC and AIRGAIN. I expect 2 or 3 more partnerships before the season starts.

Yet to see if it's just partnership or partnership+sponsorship or will they be presented on a car. These statements are too vague these days.

#64 DeKnyff

DeKnyff

• 1,654 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 13:47

Not beating them would not be a failure, just like not beating McLaren wouldn't be a failure for Red Bull. Both are great teams and at the end of the day, one of them has to finish ahead of the other. What would be a failure is not to be, at least, on the same level of competitiveness.

#65 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 4,330 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 14:27

#66 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,301 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 18:00

I'm not disagreeing with you and I'm certainly not an engineer. But... you knew there was a but coming! Is what you say inevitable? Since the agreement to run Renault, I imagine Viry-Châtillon has been sending teraflops of date to Woking, McLaren has installed engines long since and has no doubt been running them in the MCL33 in the bowels of the building. The there's the simulators and soon we'll have pre-season testing. 

Sure, the Bullies have experience with the Renault donk but McLaren is extremely well resourced and staffed. By the time they get to Albert Park, I wouldn't be surprised if the knowledge gap - if there is one - is somewhere between small and tiny.

It will be fascinating to discover, as the season unfolds, how much power, economy, reliability and drivability the Renault engine has. 

#67 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 18:37

I think if McLaren can move from ninth to fourth ahead of a solid Force India and a Renault which is now on the rise would be enough to prove that the talent and knowledge base is still present in Woking and this entire fiasco from 2014 to present can be somewhat forgiven.

What we have yet to see though is how close they are going to get with Renault in terms of the software for the engine and the maps. Red Bull apparently had a nice leg up as far as tuning the engine to their chassis in that regard.

#68 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,251 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 18:37

I'm not disagreeing with you and I'm certainly not an engineer. But... you knew there was a but coming! Is what you say inevitable? Since the agreement to run Renault, I imagine Viry-Châtillon has been sending teraflops of date to Woking, McLaren has installed engines long since and has no doubt been running them in the MCL33 in the bowels of the building. The there's the simulators and soon we'll have pre-season testing.

Sure, the Bullies have experience with the Renault donk but McLaren is extremely well resourced and staffed. By the time they get to Albert Park, I wouldn't be surprised if the knowledge gap - if there is one - is somewhere between small and tiny.

It will be fascinating to discover, as the season unfolds, how much power, economy, reliability and drivability the Renault engine has.

F1 was much more unpredictable decades ago but nowadays we can more or less guess the grid order without too much knowledge which is one of the areas that Liberty must work on. We want to see 3-4 teams figthing for wins and podiums. Moto GP is much better and exciting in this respect.

Edited by Mc_Silver, 31 January 2018 - 18:39.

#69 CPR

CPR

• 5,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 23:26

Would be that it's quite so simple. Bear in mind development time - EB (and others) has repeatedly said that the move to Renault happened 2 weeks later than their "deadline" for making the switch. They've had to do a lot in a short period and there's only so much they can realistically do. They've also said that they're not going to get adventurous with the integration of the PU. There'll be all sorts of things to learn and get used to in testing, but there's quite a bit that they wouldn't be able to change quickly.

RB also use their own fuel and stuff it seems. IIRC we don't get know exactly what fuel McLaren will use.

What this'll all add up to, who knows. How much this'll change during the year, who knows. Hopefully the gap in this regard starts small and gets small enough that it doesn't really matter.

#70 vista

vista

• 1,122 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:44

Even though the Renault engine is a significant step forward there is no denying that the Merc engine still blows everyone out of the water, especially in qualifying and reliability. So I don't really think we should expect anyone else winning, maybe apart from Vettel.

Still think the post-2014 F1 ruleset has been an utter disaster for F1 and this year they only have 3 engine for 20+ races which is utter nonsense.. I hope at least that Renault can surprise, I would much rather be mad at Mclaren for building a poor chassis. Actually, I think Honda is going to be pretty okay this year - they won't change the concept as the did in 17 so they will just build upon their existing solution and winter testing will be pretty solid for them and Torro Rosso I imagine.

#71 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:10

I think if McLaren can move from ninth to fourth ahead of a solid Force India and a Renault which is now on the rise would be enough to prove that the talent and knowledge base is still present in Woking and this entire fiasco from 2014 to present can be somewhat forgiven.

What we have yet to see though is how close they are going to get with Renault in terms of the software for the engine and the maps. Red Bull apparently had a nice leg up as far as tuning the engine to their chassis in that regard.

It was announced at the time they're getting the same software package as the works team and Red Bull, I don't think they'd have changed if they weren't. 

#72 kumo7

kumo7

• 2,018 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:41

This yeas will be about getting even with Red Bull, well in front of Renault.

See where it goes.

#73 baddog

baddog

• 27,244 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:23

Yeah the target is to generally match RBR. Do that and I am impressed.

#74 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:38

Anyone else read on f1technical the rumor McLaren have a bargeboard fluidic switch? Any ideas where this rumor started or any aero guys opinions on the likeliness of a team coming up with something in that area?

#75 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,420 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:42

Even though the Renault engine is a significant step forward there is no denying that the Merc engine still blows everyone out of the water, especially in qualifying and reliability. So I don't really think we should expect anyone else winning, maybe apart from Vettel.

Still think the post-2014 F1 ruleset has been an utter disaster for F1 and this year they only have 3 engine for 20+ races which is utter nonsense.. I hope at least that Renault can surprise, I would much rather be mad at Mclaren for building a poor chassis. Actually, I think Honda is going to be pretty okay this year - they won't change the concept as the did in 17 so they will just build upon their existing solution and winter testing will be pretty solid for them and Torro Rosso I imagine.

Regarding the 3 engine rule: It is obvious even to me that most will fail  to stick to 3 engines. Hence, if I were in charge of a team, I would just assume 4 or 5 would be needed and just focus on the damn POWAH!

#76 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,729 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:49

for me clear 4th is the target, hopefully mid season closer to rb, but as long we are closer to 3rd then to 5th 

#77 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,177 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:54

Enstone shouldn't be underestimated, they've got a good driver line up and both the car and engine will take a step forward over the winter. I'll be happy enough if McLaren can beat them and keep RB honest at a few tracks and sneak a podium or even a cheeky win in a crazy race like Baku. 

#78 CPR

CPR

• 5,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:58

Heh, some comments from EB and ZB on expectations management:
https://www.autospor...xcited-for-2018

Brown added that as well as the risk of expectations getting carried away, McLaren might put itself under too much pressure early in the Renault relationship.

"The team is used to fighting it out in world championships and it is something that everyone is looking forward to," he said.

"It does come with more pressure, but everyone is going to rise to the occasion.

"It has been a while since we have been at the front, so we need to make sure that expectations aren't over the top for Australia.

"I think we will be one of the most-viewed teams in Australia, as everyone will want to see where we are.

"So we need to make sure we don't put too much pressure on ourselves."

#79 Owen

Owen

• 12,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:15

Wise words regarding expectation. I feel like if anyone has learnt all the lessons on that front, then McLaren have.

Advertisement

#80 f1rules

f1rules

• 6,729 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:30

lol, are they not the two that has been most vocal :-)   

Edited by f1rules, 01 February 2018 - 11:31.

#81 Dennista

Dennista

• 427 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:57

If design team are unable to deliver this season then time for a reshuffle. No more excuses.

#82 CPR

CPR

• 5,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:22

Wise words regarding expectation. I feel like if anyone has learnt all the lessons on that front, then McLaren have.

For comments to the media, I think they need to be careful here. If they attempt to set "no expectations" then the media will just invent whatever expectations they like.

#83 Owen

Owen

• 12,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 13:15

Another teaser - much more Orange. In fact, nothing but Orange.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#84 ar1

ar1

• 189 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 13:31

First time i've seen Renault on the partner list too - not on the website yet.

Wonder if they're going to appear on the car

#85 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 13:36

Ugh orange... :rolleyes:

#86 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,125 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 13:53

Ugh orange... :rolleyes:

You mean yay orange, surely? ;)

#87 Owen

Owen

• 12,944 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 13:56

You mean yay orange, surely?  ;)

I'm not an orange fan either. But let's see what it looks before we judge.

#88 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 13:58

You mean yay orange, surely?  ;)

Nah, I think Ron has infected me because I really like McLarens to be grey(ish).

#89 ViperF1

ViperF1

• 44 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 16:21

Do they?

I had a good laugh with Eric's words about not getting over-excited.

This is an actual quote from the article:

"My dream is to win in Australia, but actually maybe being third would be better."

This is his idea of managing expectations? :p

#90 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 17:16

To be honest I am afraid of #BeBrave. It is suspicious. I hope Renault PU is doing well.

#91 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,355 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 17:23

#BeBrave...We're going orange again  :(

#92 CPR

CPR

• 5,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 17:31

To be honest I am afraid of #BeBrave. It is suspicious. I hope Renault PU is doing well.

I hope it doesn't refer to the colour scheme.

Ie is more like this:

paulocoelho1.jpg

Rather than this:

Be-Brave-Teaser-e1483118176308.jpg

#93 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 18:13

You mean yay orange, surely? ;)

200w.gif

#94 Danyy

Danyy

• 2,164 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 18:31

I hope it doesn't refer to the colour scheme.

Ie is more like this:
paulocoelho1.jpg

Rather than this:
Be-Brave-Teaser-e1483118176308.jpg

Hmmm yeah I’m confused now since being brave by going for orange again doesn’t add up...
But...
A1GDq0hP8eL._RI_SX200_.jpg
Oh boy

#95 CPR

CPR

• 5,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 20:36

Someone's listening: https://www.mclaren....-brave-2375933/

Why are we saying that McLaren must #BeBrave in 2018?

The question, really, is why aren’t we saying it more often?

After all, we think McLaren is a fundamentally ‘brave’ organisation.

What do we mean by brave? We think of it as risk-taking; of letting the heart sometimes rule the head; of jumping without the certainty of where, exactly, you’ll land. It’s the racer’s mentality: commit first, and correct the mistakes later…

Just think about it: our founder concluded a successful career as a grand prix driver, with Cooper, to build and race cars carrying his own name. That was nothing less than a risk.

This same man, Bruce Leslie McLaren, had travelled to Europe from the other side of the world, having battled a life-changing illness in his early years. He’d arrived at the heart of the motor racing world as an outsider and made a success of himself. Another risk.

#96 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,848 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 20:39

I have just cringed myself inside out.

#97 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 20:49

Why are we saying that McLaren must #BeBrave in 2018?

The question, really, is why aren’t we saying it more often?

After all, we think McLaren is a fundamentally ‘brave’ organisation.

What do we mean by brave? We think of it as risk-taking; of letting the heart sometimes rule the head; of jumping without the certainty of where, exactly, you’ll land. It’s the racer’s mentality: commit first, and correct the mistakes later…

Just think about it: our founder concluded a successful career as a grand prix driver, with Cooper, to build and race cars carrying his own name. That was nothing less than a risk.

This same man, Bruce Leslie McLaren, had travelled to Europe from the other side of the world, having battled a life-changing illness in his early years. He’d arrived at the heart of the motor racing world as an outsider and made a success of himself. Another risk.

I prefer Ronspeak to this bs tbh...

#98 baddog

baddog

• 27,244 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 20:58

Oh god Im going to be sick.

'we think McLaren is a fundamentally ‘brave’ organisation.'

egads. Come back Ron all is forgiven.

#99 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,008 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 21:21

AND it is PANIC time ...

We think of it as risk-taking; of letting the heart sometimes rule the head; of jumping without the certainty of where, exactly, you’ll land.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2

Edited by RainyAfterlifeDaylight, 01 February 2018 - 21:28.

Advertisement

#100 pizzalover

pizzalover

• 748 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 23:42

You mean Ferrari?