* * * - - 6 votes

Renault R.S.18

• Please log in to reply
1319 replies to this topic

#1301 danstheman

danstheman

• 244 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 10:57

While I do understand their approach, to try and succeed efficiently without having to spend the biggest bucks, I have to admit that I hope they're not 'cutting corners' where it really matters.

I have a somewhat obvious opinion, but money should be spent where the return is worth it.

So I agree that spending excessive amounts on certain avenues just to gain that extra thousands of laptime is not sustainable. 

But to spend a lot of money on something that can potentially offer more decent gains in laptime is certainly jusified if a team has the means. And that is why not investing in a full test dyno is a bit concerning. I would assume the gains from this can be quite large? If not immediate, then over a long time being able to understand and implement but also adapt concepts.

Also, if the budget caps are implemented in the future, it does make sense that a team which has already been geared towards this may benefit more immediately compared to the big teams that have to remove and reallocate resources accordingly. Which could disrupt operations and efficiency.

Advertisement

#1302 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 13:44

Viry factory, is space-limited too. The factory is old, small (and expensive to maintain). For the hybrid engine era they had to dig a hole... in the parking lot in order to install some new facilities for the single cylinder dynos... But they're expanding the factory. The new building which will be ready late 2019, will increase the total surface by 25% atleast and will help Renault upgrade the old facities, build more test and race engines in situ and speed up the PU developpement.

It's in Renault's intesrest to bitch and fight and lobby for cost/budget caps and whatever change that could help them catch the others faster. In the meantime they're spending more than you think. But less than Merc indeed   :p

Edited by Alburaq, 04 December 2018 - 15:03.

#1303 Neno

Neno

• 1,426 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 18:12

We changed our name so I wonder will RS19 stay or be just R19

Edited by Neno, 04 December 2018 - 18:13.

#1304 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 5,179 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 18:31

Or RE19 (tribute to the eighties)

#1305 A3

A3

• 27,757 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 19:11

Or a tribute to the Renault 19. :drunk:

#1306 eREr

eREr

• 1,083 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 20:13

Back to the past :D

renault-f1-team-logo.jpg

Edited by eREr, 04 December 2018 - 20:15.

#1307 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 751 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 00:13

Or RE19 (tribute to the eighties)

Isn't to be RS19 for the chassis and RE19 for the powerunit ?

#1308 StanBarrett2

StanBarrett2

• 751 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 00:14

Or a tribute to the Renault 19. :drunk:

Poor Dan

#1309 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,529 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:25

R19 was a good car, one of the best in that category. It was on par, if not more successful, with the golf in germany sales-wise. That's a good omen; Renault will equal/beat Mercedes in 2019. 

1-Viry factory, is space-limited too. The factory is old, small (and expensive to maintain). For the hybrid engine era they had to dig a hole... in the parking lot in order to install some new facilities for the single cylinder dynos... But they're expanding the factory. The new building which will be ready late 2019, will increase the total surface by 25% atleast and will help Renault upgrade the old facities, build more test and race engines in situ and speed up the PU developpement.

2-It's in Renault's intesrest to bitch and fight and lobby for cost/budget caps and whatever change that could help them catch the others faster. In the meantime they're spending more than you think. But less than Merc indeed   :p

1-That means Renault has compromised the 2018 season and has split the team in two groups, like in the good old winning days, and that a "B" team took the developpement of the 'easier' car in charge while the more experienced staff members work on the real deal  :cat:

2-Viry aquired a new dynamic test bench very lately, (and) a "new dynamic test bench that will test and develop the power unit with the gearbox and develop the power unit in the best conditions"

Edited by Alburaq, 05 December 2018 - 09:25.

#1310 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 241 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:59

Does Renault even have a simulator?

Edit: I see they have one build in 2012

Edited by ernestomodena, 05 December 2018 - 08:03.

#1311 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,529 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:19

A very good simulator according to Matthew Carter, Lotus CEO in 2014-2015.

#1312 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,616 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 00:16

Lets see next year if Renault have been hiding away a cracking new engine. Yes it sounds like the usual Cyril spiel but they are certainly not in the same situation as previous years with the upgraded facilities and extra personnel now able to start reaping the benefits for 2019. Guys like Budkowski and Prost are no fools they know what they are doing and lets not forget Cyril is pretty much just the mouthpiece for Renault F1.

"Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul says there is no reason why his team should still be lagging behind Mercedes and Ferrari in terms of engine power next year."

"Abiteboul believes the gap in performance between Renault's power unit and the class-leading Ferrari and Mercedes engines was over 50bhp in qualifying this year and roughly 25bhp in the race. But the Renault boss says there is no reason why Renault shouldn't close the gap over the winter break and hopes his team will start the 2019 season on an equal footing with the most powerful engines on the grid."

"That's why the main focus at first is on engine development. Next year, I don't want to have to say anymore that we lacked too much power in qualifying. There's no reason why we shouldn't close the gap to Mercedes and Ferrari with the engine over the winter. With the chassis it will take a little longer."

http://www.espn.com/...errari-mercedes

Edited by gowebber, 07 December 2018 - 01:02.

#1313 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 15:41

I 'know' a guy from another forum who often brings some reliable insider infos about Renault and he says that Renault has anrolled a new recruit who previously worked for "a multiple championship-winning team". He adds that Nick Chester might be replaced (not necessarily by the new recruit as far as I understand).  :stoned: 

Edited by Alburaq, 08 December 2018 - 16:17.

#1314 ernestomodena

ernestomodena

• 241 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 15:47

I 'know' a guy from another forum who often brings some reliable insider infos about Renault and he says that Renault has anrolled a new recruit who previously worked for "a multiple championship winning team". He adds that Nick Chester might be replaced (not necessarily by the new recruit as far as I understand).  :stoned: 

Well that could also be someone from Williams or Mclaren. Maybe it's even one of there ex employees.

#1315 Alburaq

Alburaq

• 1,529 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 16:15

Actually I'm not sure whether he said "a multiple championship-winning team" or a "three time championship-winning team" ^^'

Edited by Alburaq, 08 December 2018 - 16:16.

#1316 Neno

Neno

• 1,426 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 16:23

Well Chester will certainly be replaced if he doesnt deliver top 4 car. And under this mean top 4 car which is on level of top 3 cars. Not second and half off the pace. Because that's the goal. 

Edited by Neno, 08 December 2018 - 16:24.

#1317 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,616 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:03

Interesting McLaren were happy with the Renault PU calling it reliable unlike Red Bull. So two teams were relatively ok reliability wise but Red Bull were not in 2018. Seems to me Red Bull were more the problem for Ricciardo rather than Renault. Hard to see him having more DNF's than 2018. Now Renault just make a more powerful engine and improve that chassis for 2019.

Zak seems to echo Prost's sentiment regarding the 2019 PU.

"McLaren CEO Zak Brown believes that his team will reap the rewards from Red Bull's split with Renault. Red Bull will part ways with Renault next season, bringing an end to its long-standing relationship."

"We have a very good relationship with Renault,” he said. “I got my report on how next year’s power unit is coming along, and it’s very encouraging. They’ve given us a reliable engine this year and so it’s going well. We’re happy with the decision that we’ve made, we’re very happy with Renault.”

https://www.f1today....l-renault-split

Edited by gowebber, Yesterday, 12:46.

#1318 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,001 posts

Posted Yesterday, 22:38

I'm actually much more expecting Renault to improve than previously but I will always take what a partner of any company with a vested interest says with a grain of salt.

#1319 Neno

Neno

• 1,426 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:04

I'm actually much more expecting Renault to improve than previously but I will always take what a partner of any company with a vested interest says with a grain of salt.

RS18 for me was such a dissapointment because they were promising same thing in 2017 for 2018. I aint falling for this crap again. Believe it when I see it. 

Advertisement

#1320 gowebber

gowebber

• 2,616 posts

Posted Today, 00:36

Fair enough but what about Prost saying the same thing pretty much. His integrity and knowledge is first class. I guess we will find out in due course if its hyperbole as usual or not. Also not sure why you would pump up an engine report given to you unless the actual report is exaggerated itself. Just opening yourself up for ridicule really (if its ends up not true) but let see what happens.

RS18 for me was such a dissapointment because they were promising same thing in 2017 for 2018. I aint falling for this ...

Renault are not in the same situation resource or personnel wise as previous years going into 2019 season.  It was reported they shifted focus from the RS18 early on and have been working on the 2019 car for quite a while. 2018 I don't think is a true reflection of where they are really at primarily for this reason. The greatly increased changes should hopefully start to reap the benefits in 2019.

Edited by gowebber, Today, 01:31.