Photo

Alan Brown - Jack Brabham Group 2/5 Mustang Saloon Car

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 14:04

I do have questions regarding the 1965 Bright RED (with Gold hood edge stripes) Mustang of Alan Brown (driver: Sir Jack Brabham in '65+'66).
I did already gathered images and details about this car (with the valuable help of this Autosport forum and Wolfgang Korn from www.ponysite.de )
Still there are some questions left...

We find out this was the same Mustang that Skip Scott drove in Nassau an Daytona early in 1965 (a former Alan Mann Racing car). After this event it was shipped to the UK (to my knowledge).
Who can remember something about this car when it arived (came back) to the UK?

20180218_194439.jpg
Image: Bill Brannon

The Mustang must be brougth back to the BRSCC group 2 Saloon car specifications as the car was heavely modified by the Skip Scott Essex Wire race team.
There were many fiberglass body panels and lexan windows add which were not allowed in group 2 cars. We hope this will ring a bell.
Do someone remember the preparation of this Alan Brown race Mustang? Where was it done? Who knows details?

1965-_Oulton_GC-114.jpg

Bring it back to Group 2 specs must cost more time than expected as Alan Brown Racing did make a registration to race with this Mustang early in '65 but never showed up (DNA).
Almost 2 months later it raced his first race with driver Jack Brabham. Strangly enough the next race de car was driven by Roy Pierpoint (only once! DNF, broken fan belt). Roy was already supported by Alan Mann Racing (AMR) in The BRSCC??
Who remember something about this?

The Mustang was a former Alan Mann Racing Tour de France Mustang (DPK-7B according to the VIN number).
The Mustang definitly has many of the special features as on the origin TDF "DPK-*B" cars.

20170115_212815.jpg

This is the add from Alan Brown racing but strangely enouch "in 1967" (corrected) it was part of a sales batch by Alan Mann Racing at Byfleet standing next to the Mustang DPK-5B wich was sold the same week to a Dutch sponsor of Rob Slotenmaker... Strange as it was always denied that AMR was involved with Alan Brown Racing. Someone nows details?

Please reply if you got a bit of information which can solve the mistery.
Thanks

Edited by JanAlsemgeest, 19 February 2018 - 20:12.

Advertisement

#2 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 21:06

July 1965 Motor Racing magazine has a cover and John Blunsden track test of the Pierpoint Mustang that shows rego number DPK 6B - so a sister car I guess. There's mention of Alan Mann converting ex Tour De France and Monte Carlo Mustangs. So this might be worth checking out.

Despite it being quite a time after the event the October 14, 1966 issue of Autosport ran a cover of Jack Brabham in an Alan Brown Mustang being chased by Jim Clark's works Lotus Cortina at the Easter 1966 Goodwood.

Stephen

#3 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 00:27

something in the back of my mind tells me that Jack Brabham or Frank Gardner brought a Mustang to Australia?

#4 TerryS

TerryS

• 968 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:57

something in the back of my mind tells me that Jack Brabham or Frank Gardner brought a Mustang to Australia?

Yes. It was a fast back model like Moffat’s.

It was dropped getting from the boat to the wharf and was written off.

The mechanicals were built up by Barry Sharp into a sports sedan Falcon to be run by Brabham Ford.

#5 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:25

And it had a big-port Boss motor...

Lacking torque, it wasn't very suitable for our circuits.

#6 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:34

The fastback returned to Australia (if it was) must be from a later date (after 69?) so nothing to do with the Mustang of this topic. Sorry.

#7 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:40

I thought the Mustang that was dropped at the quai side was Gardeners 1970 BSCC car.
Glyn

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 13:45

I recall Gardner bringing in a Camaro, not a Mustang...

And it left Australia again, IIRC, with Bob Jane's hand-fabricated gearbox.

But that was a bit later than 1970, too.

#9 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 19:29

I think the car made its first appearance in the UK at the Crystal Palace Whit Monday International in 1965. Brabham finished 6th overall in the race. However, Brabham did win the saloon car race at the Brands Guards Trophy meeting on the August bank holiday, and was also first over the line at Oulton in the Gold Cup meet a couple of weeks later. However, the car was later disqualified on a technical infringement. In 1966 Jack also won at Snetterton on Good Friday. I think the last appearance of the Alan Brown Mustang/Brabham combination was at Silverstone in the Martini International meeting in July of that year.

#10 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,871 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 23:32

Taking some of pete53's lead, the following comes from programmes

Whit-Mon, 7/6/65 Crystal Palace International

Event 2 The Norbury Trophy 15 laps 2.10pm

105 Alan Brown Racing Ltd (Driver J Brabham) Ford Mustang 4727

This must have made somewhat of a contrast to the following event with him racing the 998cc of Brabham Honda screamer.

14/5/66 Silverstone International Trophy meeting.

Race 2 – International Saloon Car Race 35 laps 12noon.

54 J Brabham Ford Mustang / Alan Brown 4727(S) – Brabham's name crossed out

and a possible lead here.

16/7/66 Brands Hatch British GP meeting

Event 2 The Peter England Trophy Race 20 lap 12.30pm

90 Alan Brown (Dvr to be nominated) Ford Mustang 4727

Stephen

#11 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:59

That is an easy fix ,perhaps in those days they were not up to speed on port tongues?

#12 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:08

That is an easy fix ,perhaps in those days they were not up to speed on port tongues?

Come on guys! What does a Camaro or Boss 302 (heads?) has to do with this topic??? Please stop reply and focus on the topic. Thanks in advance.

#13 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 18:55

Taking some of pete53's lead, the following comes from programmes

Whit-Mon, 7/6/65 Crystal Palace International

Event 2 The Norbury Trophy 15 laps 2.10pm

105 Alan Brown Racing Ltd (Driver J Brabham) Ford Mustang 4727

This must have made somewhat of a contrast to the following event with him racing the 998cc of Brabham Honda screamer.

14/5/66 Silverstone International Trophy meeting.

Race 2 – International Saloon Car Race 35 laps 12noon.

54 J Brabham Ford Mustang / Alan Brown 4727(S) – Brabham's name crossed out

and a possible lead here.

16/7/66 Brands Hatch British GP meeting

Event 2 The Peter England Trophy Race 20 lap 12.30pm

90 Alan Brown (Dvr to be nominated) Ford Mustang 4727

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. The car non-started at the 66 Silverstone Int Trophy meet owing to piston failure. Likewise, the car never started at Brands at the 66 GP meeting. I think it was entered at the Guards Trophy meeting in August 1966 but I believe had been sold on by then (?) so didn't appear. It did make two other showings in 1966 - Goodwood Easter Monday where Jack came 2nd, and at the Martini Silverstone International where Jack finished 3rd.

The car was sold on to club racer Ron Lyon who competed in it in the latter part of 1966 and in 1967.

#14 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 20:20

..... I think it was entered at the Guards Trophy meeting in August 1966 but I believe had been sold on by then (?) so didn't appear. It did make two other showings in 1966..

The car was sold on to club racer Ron Lyon who competed in it in the latter part of 1966 and in 1967.

Thanks Pete. Yeh, your right. Forgot this detail.. This means Ronny Lyon did bring the car back to Byfleet to be sold. Make sence. Will dive into the files to see if I got more details. Thanks you both for the tip and post.
Now waiting for other replys...
(p.s.: I did corrected the post on this)

Edited by JanAlsemgeest, 19 February 2018 - 20:34.

#15 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 21:03

Boss motor? Either a tunnel port which were lousy anywhere or Boss 302, a Cleveland headed 302 W which won the odd Australian race in Moffats hands! And had good torque, just at around 6000 rpm! The grand daddy of a current Supercar engine.

#16 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 21:06

Boss motor? Either a tunnel port which were lousy anywhere or Boss 302, a Cleveland headed 302 W which won the odd Australian race in Moffats hands! And had good torque, just at around 6000 rpm! The grand daddy of a current Supercar engine.

Thanks Lee. Usefull information. Back on Topic please....? Please?

#17 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 21:08

Yes. It was a fast back model like Moffat’s.

It was dropped getting from the boat to the wharf and was written off.

The mechanicals were built up by Barry Sharp into a sports sedan Falcon to be run by Brabham Ford.

A damaged road race Mustang of Jacks was built into speedway sedan. Raced in Sydney for some while.

And I feel the Sharp Falcon used a 302C, Barry worked at Jack Brabham Ford at the time.

#18 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:33

Is the above coupe still around?

What were the specs of those UK cars Webers or single 4 barrel carby?

#19 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:03

Is the above coupe still around?

What were the specs of those UK cars Webers or single 4 barrel carby?

No, the Hardtop race Mustang did have a accident in 1978 where the chassis was damaged beyond repair. It was scrapped (unfortunatly).
The Group 2 Mustangs in 65 did have a 4 barrel carb (to my knowledge). In 66 for group 5 various induction systems are used, including 4V carbs, 8V Webers, forced induction and (Tecalemit Jackson) fuel injection systems.

Edited by JanAlsemgeest, 22 February 2018 - 19:26.

Advertisement

#20 Felix

Felix

• 818 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 18:21

I originally thought that the Alan Mann Mustangs ended up in South Africa for Koos Swanepoel and Basil van Rooyen to drive. Thus I thought I may be able to shed some light on the matter and checked with Basil. He kindly provided the full run-down on his car which was not, though, an Alan Mann car, but a converted former road car. Although off-thread, the story may be of interest:

An interesting little story about my Mustang. Ford presented Meissner and myself with a Lotus Cortina, and in year one I learnt how little I knew as a twenty year old about engineering, vs a genius in Willy Meissner. Through the year I was on a steep learning curve, seeing his car develop with 45mm Webers, vs the Lotus 40mm ones, then a beaut exhaust system, then widened wheels, then “white spot” compound Dunlops vs the green spot. Driving and also trying to modify my Cortina, whilst running Superformance which I had started, took all my resolve. In the second year I started to beat Koos, and as a result a lower class car took the SA saloon car championship. Ford asked if I could restrict my business to Fords, as Willy’s garage did. As I was the Koni shock-absorber agent and for many others, I could not. I learnt on the grapevine that as a result, Ford had a Mustang on the way for Meissner and Koos without telling me. That same week, I saw a Mustang driving in my suburb of Bryanston, and waved the driver down. He was a doctor, and was surprised to hear who I was and that I wanted to buy his car immediately, and explained why. He agreed on a price and I started on that car at Superformance with what I had learnt over the past two years, and read up on V8’s in the states. I flew up Willy’s steam tube bender (from the CT ship building and repair industry) to make a tortuous system, identical in lengths and firing order to the Ford GT 40’s. That’s why it did not throb but screamed down the straight. For the next two years it won every race except one when I had a puncture or a fuel pump issue - even when they brought out the British champ Roy Pierpoint in the lightweight Falcon V8 which had otherwise the Mustang suspension, floor plan and engine train, for a 4 race series around SA. You can pick up more on my website if of interest. Yes it was sold to Fred Cowell. Recently a guy has been asking me to confirm if the Mustang he has bought was mine, and how to identify it. I told him after taking it to Brands Hatch, where it poured on race day and I put it on its side after aquaplaning off at Hawthorne bend, on return to SA when we fixed it, I had a top-hat section bent up, 50mm x 75 mm deep, of 1mm steel, and welded this along the floor from the rear leaf spring mountings to the opposite front jacking points, cut and welded to intersect, thus making the floor plan unable to flex across the drive shaft tunnel, now a flat side like the other sides of the box, as I realised how this was allowing the chassis to flex. His Mustang did not have this so I think he was disappointed. BTW, for the few days for the Brands Hatch race, Alan Mann allowed me to use their workshops. During practice, Alan asked if I’d like his driver, Australian Frank Gardner to take it around. I wanted to say no but felt I could not. Frank took it around for a few laps, got down to near my time, got out and said “You’ll have to find a bloke with big balls to handle this baby”. Years later he came out as my co-driver in the CanAm V8 I developed for GM at the Nine Hour race.

I have some pics of the car, but have no idea how to post them here.  :confused:

#21 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 19:39

Nice story Felix. Thanks. During my project I did gathered some info of Basil van Rooijen's Mustang as well. Some (mainly) photo's only as indeed I find out as well this was not an AMR mustang.
It was a very good performing Mustang, thats for sure....

#22 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 20:10

Hi Pete. If you have, can you share more details of mr. Lyon? Ron Lyon is some kind of misterious person for me. I cannot find many info of this owner/driver. 2 photo's and some minor details. Does anyone have tips where to search? Who got stories about Mr. Ron Lyon?

Edited by JanAlsemgeest, 22 February 2018 - 20:46.

#23 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,351 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:09

Patience is a virtue ...NOT for some.

#24 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 23:07

Patience is a virtue ...NOT for some.

Noted.... 😉

#25 PonysiteEd

PonysiteEd

• 117 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:01

Indeed the racing life of DPK7B was good for a 52 year mystery and it comes to an end with the link to the Brabham car, which is good, but then again not so good, because the car was "dead" by 1978 as Jan pointed out. Maybe something which is not a good end to a mystery research and closing ones eyes for earlier hints. While it is easy today to sit at the PC and browse hundreds of never published pictures, especially with the help of the Stanford University and their vast racing picture archive, for almost 20 years it thrilled many people to find a puzzle piece after puzzle piece in pictures and old mags at various events, making contacts, new friends and putting the picture together. Jans research in the past few years (with interruption) certainly helped to refocus on overlooked or misinterpreted things like the DPK7B licence plate on the Frami Racing Team Mustang, which was interpreted earlier to be an export emergency route from Alan Mann. In my phone calls with Alan himself or in any other contact with other genuine people anybody mentioned a link between the winning 1964 TDF Mustang (in its class) and the later Brabham car. Asked about that in fact most denied any link between those two cars. On the other hand Alan Mann protested the Alan Brown car knowing that the valve train set-up in that car was not correct, maybe at that time he also knew much better which car it really was. He did not mention that link in 3 phone calls when I asked about the Brabham car however. As we published early on on ponysite.de based on an interview with John Grant, both Alan Mann and Alan Brown used the same body shop. Ernie Westlakes body shop in Byfleet. Ernie died in the early 80ies acc. to Johns memory and the 4 guys working there left. It is unlikely they are still around, but who knows.
So far so good, if the body pieces and plexi material made their way to the UK is not prooven by pictures to my knowledge today. They may have been taken off, unless pictures would proof us wrong. It is rather likely that the original parts were put in or on the car and the fibre body items kept for another car in the US. There are several that may come to mind.
However you can see the brackets holding the fibre hood at the Daytona Continental 1965 in a picture from Peter Darley taken at one of the first outings at Oulton in the UK. We got permission from Cotery Press to use that pic for identification purposes on our site, not for a forum, so you may have to visit http://www.ponysite....octer_dpk7b.htm (edit: link corrected) for the bracket location on the Skip Scott Daytona DPK7B appearance at Daytona in Feb. 65 and its appearance in Peter Darleys shot at Oulton with rivets in that exact location.
Jan has found on revslib (Stanford Univ) archive site a pic that seems to have been taken during an Abarth factory location visit at their working space developping a V8 engine. Wherever it was taken and how it was photographed by the italian photographer or came into the Abarth series of pics is not quite clear. Anyway it shows a VIN and the special injection on Brabhams car. Jan published this in the TMCN club mag and deciphered it to be one of the TDF Mustang Vins. Tough to verify it with eyes only, but it maybe.

This additional information may help to understand the full background of this posting from Jan. Back to Jans question - if photos would proof that the car came in its Daytona dress to the UK, certainly someone could remember it, butif it came with the normal former metal hood and windows reinstalled, someone at a body shop may just remember smoothing out the rivets, as they obviously disappeared soon after those first shots from Peter Darly and are not visible on Ronny Lyons photos of the car.

With those research puzzle pieces added, maybe someone remembers having seen those rivets or can add early pictures of the Brabham car at that Oulton race.

BTW actually - as Erik (also on this forum) pointed out to me, John Wilment placed an ad at the time in question selling a Group 10.5 Mustang, which may fit the timeline. We are just researching that Wilment trace. It would make sense as well that Wilment had a hand in the deal of DPK7B, before it came to Alan Brown. Erik also pointed me to the Cotery Press/Peter Darley pics. Thank you very much for that, Erik. Indeed with 23 years of patience after the first trials to get in touch with Alan...the history puzzle of DPK7B ended. In a way also thanks to Jans persistency and focus from his end of the story from the  van der Ende Mustang backwards via the Akersloot/Lyon/Brabham car.   Sorry for any fuzzy english in these words, but it may still clear up a few things. Good luck, Jan.

Edited by PonysiteEd, 27 February 2018 - 06:32.

#26 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 19:31

Many thanks to you as well Wolfgang. I did need yor help many times. It was not always easy. Im glad you and Erik changed the vision what happened and find proof for that yourself. Thanks. Although the history of DPK-7B is more clear and complete there still are many gaps to be filled. This will take some time and effort.
Regarding the issue of the returned DPK-7B repaired to Group 2 specs, please keep in mind that my personal idea (for years, sorry) is that they used (part out) the real (!) TDF spare car DPL-8B (* remark: corrected! Earlier mentioned DPK-4B was not correct!!!) to complete DPK-7B.
I did found not much proof for that (besides that Jack Brabhams Mustang looks identical to the TDF cars and that the found London Mustang missed many TDF specific parts), however, and that's important too, I did not find proofs that the opposite was true. That's why I did ask to check the paint layers of the real *DPL-8B found in Londen some time ago. I think most front end body parts are replaced. Maybe date codes will reveal details.....
Please considder this possibility as well.
It was one of the things I would have checked at the AMR archive (when exactly and what replacement parts are ordered to complete the "parted out" real DPL-8B).
Thanks again. Your words are really appriciated here....

Edited by JanAlsemgeest, 09 November 2018 - 20:46.

#27 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 10:10

Hi Pete. If you have, can you share more details of mr. Lyon? Ron Lyon is some kind of misterious person for me. I cannot find many info of this owner/driver. 2 photo's and some minor details. Does anyone have tips where to search? Who got stories about Mr. Ron Lyon?

Jan, I am afraid I have no more information on Ron Lyon - I don't have any recollection of him racing prior to him competing in the Mustang nor any memory of him racing anything afterwards, although that's not say he didn't.

#28 PonysiteEd

PonysiteEd

• 117 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:53

Went back to my 2004 mail inbox and there it was...it seems I really overread something in the first line:-)

Ronny Lyon wrote at that time:

The Mustang that was raced by Brabham was owned by Alan Brown Racing who told me that this car was driven by Procter in the Monte-Carlo.

I purchased the car from Alan Brown and raced the car for 2 seasons in British Club events winning the first race I entered at Oulton Park 20 Aug 1966. When I left England to live in Australia I gave the car to Alan Mann to sell for me.

Second mail

When I received the car from him it was still in his colour of orange, the mods he had made included a brake system from the 427 Galaxie with Kelsie Hayes 4 pot calipers and drum rear,the other major change was the fitting of Techalamit Fuel Injection.The gearbox was a Borg Warner T5 HD ,I changed the colour to Maroon with a gold roof,changes made by myself included a disk brake rear end the same as fitted to the Alan Mann Falcons This kit was fitted in the Alan Mann workshops and I believe the parts used were from a Aston Martin DB5.I am sorry I do not know the name of the person in Holland as the sale was completed after I arrived in Australia and all documents were handled by the staff at Alan Mann.

Third mail

Brabham drove the car at least twice after I purchased it from Brown, the reason for this was that Brown and Brabham had different tyre contracts and as I was the owner I could fit Brabham contract tyres The last time Brabham drove the car was approx Sept/Oct 1966.

DPK7B_ronnyweb.jpg

Edited by PonysiteEd, 27 February 2018 - 22:02.

#29 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:26

Whow!!! Thanks Wolfgang. That's indeed valuable "news".
I'm glad you still got acces to those 14 years old e-mails. Thanks.

More and more the puzzle will be solved.
That was a relailable source and it fit the story..

It explain why it was so difficult to find info on Ron Lyon.... Never thought he became an Aussie ;-)

The rear end with disc brakes still could be in Holland as Willem van der Ende switched over to IRS in the 80ties wit his later Mustangs. Must give the buyer then a call if he still have it..

B.r. Jan Alsemgeest.

Edited by JanAlsemgeest, 27 February 2018 - 21:27.

#30 PonysiteEd

PonysiteEd

• 117 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:41

Just to add to the story: Ronny started an Alron motorcycle business in Perth in the 7oies after emigrating, but the business ABN was cancelled as of 2015. E-mail bounced back, when I tried today. No traces online any more after that....

#31 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 22:22

I googled this up:

"The first Alron motorcycles were built in Western Australia by Ron Lyon and Al Hayes and were derived from Sprite Scramblers from Britain."

A couple of leads you can chase up there...

#32 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 23:50

Just to add to the story: Ronny started an Alron motorcycle business in Perth in the 7oies after emigrating

I did check and remember seeing the info before. Probably when searching a long time ago. Never realized that this was the same person.... :-)

#33 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 14:12

A couple of leads you can chase up there...

Thanks! Every information is welcome.

#34 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 23:14

To quote Ron Lyon "Brabham drove the car at least twice after I purchased it from Brown, the reason for this was that Brown and Brabham had different tyre contracts and as I was the owner I could fit Brabham contract tyres The last time Brabham drove the car was approx Sept/Oct 1966."

I feel somewhat cheeky to contradict Ron on this but I don't recall Brabham driving the Mustang again after the Martini International at Silverstone in July 1966 . Given that it would only have been raced at Group 5 British Saloon Car Championship races that only leaves the events at Brands (the Guards August Bank Holiday meet), Oulton Park (Gold Cup) and Brands (Motor Show 200) at which he would have possibly competed.  I am pretty sure he didn't appear at any of those three races.

#35 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:58

I can't find Brabham in Frank de Jong's results for these three races.

Vince H.

#36 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:19

I can't find Brabham in Frank de Jong's results for these three races.

Vince H.

Indeed Vince. I have the Autosport reports for all three events and there is no mention of Jack appearing in the Mustang either.

#37 PonysiteEd

PonysiteEd

• 117 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 15:16

Could be minor important races or as he said "celebrity races"? I just have it being around in Lyons livery with door number 72, 97 and 279 in a "over 1300ccm class" in 1966 or at Snetterton Sports later that year?
I think not many can say what they drove in 1966 in July or September...except for racers themselves? Just thinking about it:-)

#38 ERIKZ

ERIKZ

• 76 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 19:59

This is what I have for the race history on the Brabham/Lyon Mustang....although it is incomplete, it is a "work in progress."

Oulton Park-International Spring Meeting-April 3, 1965

#87-Alan Brown Racing (Drv.-Jack Brabham)-Did not arrive

Silverstone-Senior Service Touring Car Race-May 15, 1965

#41-Alan Brown Racing (Drv.-Jack Brabham)-Did not arrive

Crystal Palace-Norbury Trophy-June 7, 1965

#105-Alan Brown Racing (Drv.-Jack Brabham)-6th oa/3rd in class

Silverstone-Aston Martin CC-Martini Int. Tropy Meeting-July 24, 1965

#31-Alan Brown Racing (Drv.-Roy Pierpoint)-1st (race 2?)

Brands Hatch-Ilford Films Trophy-August 30, 1965

#174-Alan Brown Racing (Drv.-Jack Brabham)-1st oa/1st in class

Oulton Park-Gold Cup Meeting-September 18, 1965

#114-Alan Brown Racing-(Drv.-Jack Brabham)-Disqualified for triple valve springs

Oulton Park-Saloon Car Race-April 2, 1966

#85-Alan Brown Racing (Drv.-Jack Brabham)-event 1-Result unknown-cancelled due to snow

Snetterton-Archie Scott-Brown Memorial Meeting-April 8, 1966

#?-Alan Brown Racing-(Drv.-Jack Brabham)-1st oa/1st in class-noted as having fuel injection

Goodwood-St. Mary's Trophy Race-April 11, 1966

#85-Alan Brown Racing-(Drv.-Jack Brabham)-2nd oa/2nd in class-noted as having fuel injection

Silverstone-Daily Express Int. Trophy Meeting-May 14, 1966

#54-Alan Brown Racing-(Drv.-Jack Brabham)-Did not start-piston failure in practice-noted as fuel injection and supercharged

Crystal Palace-BRSCC Saloon Car Race-May 30, 1966

#65-Alan Brown Racing-(Drv.-Jack Brabham)-2nd oa/2nd in class-noted as fuel injection non-supercharged

Silverstone-Aston Martin Owner's Club Martini Trophy-July 9, 1966

#33-Alan Brown Racing-(Drv.-Jack Brabham)-3rd oa/3rd in class-started at the back of the grid

Brands Hatch-RAC Peter England Trophy-July 16, 1966

#90-Alan Brown Racing-(Drv.-Mike Salmon)-(DPK5B-noted as "blue" in program)-7th oa/5th in class-arrived late and started last on the grid-slowed by loose plug wire

Oulton Park-BARC Races-August 20, 1966

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-1st oa/1st in class

Mallory Park-BARC 10-Lap Scratch Race For Saloons-October 16, 1966

#70-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-result unknown

Snetterton-BARC Spring Cup Car Races-March 5, 1967

#97-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-2nd oa-noted as maroon with gold stripes

Castle Combe-BARC Races-March 27, 1967

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-5th oa

Oulton Park-Lancs and Cheshire CC-April 1, 1967

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-Did not finish

Snetterton-Romford ECC-April 9th, 1967

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-2nd oa

Snetterton-West Essex CC-May 7, 1967

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-1st in heat one/did not finish final round

Oulton Park-BARC Races-May 13, 1967

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-3rd oa

Snetterton-BARC Races-May 29, 1967

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-3rd oa

Oulton Park-BARC Clubman's Car Races-June 10, 1967

#64-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-result unknown-noted as maroon with gold stripes

Silverstone-BARC Race Meeting-June 18, 1967

#279-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-result unknown

Oulton Park-BARC Race Meeting-July 22, 1967

#?-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv.-Ron Lyon)-result unknown-noted as maroon with gold stripes

Brands Hatch-Guards Motor Show 200-October 29, 1967

#7-Ron Lyon Racing-(Drv-Ron Lyon)-Did not start

Edited by ERIKZ, 12 March 2018 - 22:52.

#39 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 23:29

An excellent listing from ERIKZ. The reason the result is unknown for Oulton Park 2 April 1966 is that there was no result. This was the BARC 200 meeing that was cancelled due to snow.

Advertisement

#40 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:01

Many thanks Erikz. Super.
Congratulations that you found solid proofs as well that solved mistery of the missing DPK-7B. It was hard to convince you and WK but we all working hard and aimed for the same goal. Thanks for that as well.

#41 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 15:49

Post 28. Just out of curiosity please tell me in which Monte Procter drove a Mustang. I understood all the DPKs were only used in the TdF.  I know Procter was active in Rapiers in the Montes, and I know he was a recce/chase driver in the Falcons in 1963, as he gave me a ride in the one he used as a road car afterwards, free issue from FoMoCo until needed. . It was white with a blue flash, possibly ZE1048 or 1052

Roger Lund

#42 pete53

pete53

• 725 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 16:58

I can add some information to ERIKZ's list above regarding Ron Lyon's drives in the Mustang:

All results are the overall position

Oulton Park BARC Races Aug 20th                1st

Snetterton BARC Races 5th March                2nd

Castle Combe BARC 27th March                   5th

Oulton Park Lancs & Cheshire CC 1st April   retired

Snetterton Romford EEC 9th April                 2nd

Snetterton West Essex CC 7th May               1st in heat   Retired in final

Oulton Park BARC 13th May                          3rd

Snetterton BARC 29th May                            3rd

Pete

#43 PonysiteEd

PonysiteEd

• 117 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 21:30

Post 28. Just out of curiosity please tell me in which Monte Procter drove a Mustang. I understood all the DPKs were only used in the TdF.  I know Procter was active in Rapiers in the Montes, and I know he was a recce/chase driver in the Falcons in 1963, as he gave me a ride in the one he used as a road car afterwards, free issue from FoMoCo until needed. . It was white with a blue flash, possibly ZE1048 or 1052

Roger Lund

The Monte mentioning with Procter from Ronny mislead me back then as well, that's why I thought initially the rest of the statement was not very acccurate as well.
In fact the only DPK Alan Mann Mustang, which raced in the Monte Carlo 1965 was DPK6B with Bo Ljungfeldt/F.Sager (doornumber 36)

Edited by PonysiteEd, 12 March 2018 - 21:30.

#44 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 22:33

"Rallied" in the Monte Carlo 1965, or "ran", not "raced". Sorry to raise the distinction yet again but in the UK it has vital insurance implications to this day and should not remain on any record that might be misinterpreted by the wrong people.

#45 ERIKZ

ERIKZ

• 76 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 22:33

Thanks Wolfgang, Pete, Jan and all the others.....I'll make the necessary corrections in red.

#46 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 22:39

Originally posted by RS2000
"Rallied" in the Monte Carlo 1965, or "ran", not "raced". Sorry to raise the distinction yet again but in the UK it has vital insurance implications to this day and should not remain on any record that might be misinterpreted by the wrong people.

It's an important distinction for other reasons, too...

Public understanding of what the event's about is one.

#47 JanAlsemgeest

JanAlsemgeest

• 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 16:23

Sad news today.

Mr Frank de Jong from Touringcarracing.net died some days ago.

FB_IMG_1520957621059.jpg

He help me a lot with all my projects.

Many thanks hero.

RIP Frank...

#48 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 09:11

OT a bit, but connected.
Does anyone have a photograph of the Galaxie, or know the registration number on the Bo Ljungfeldt Galaxie which he used on the Tour de France in 1963, please?
Roger Lund

#49 omobob

omobob

• 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 16:56

July 1965 Motor Racing magazine has a cover and John Blunsden track test of the Pierpoint Mustang that shows rego number DPK 6B - so a sister car I guess. There's mention of Alan Mann converting ex Tour De France and Monte Carlo Mustangs. So this might be worth checking out.

Despite it being quite a time after the event the October 14, 1966 issue of Autosport ran a cover of Jack Brabham in an Alan Brown Mustang being chased by Jim Clark's works Lotus Cortina at the Easter 1966 Goodwood.

Stephen

DPK 6B was one of three DPK *B Mustangs rallied by Alan Mann Racing in 1964 and, driven by Peter Harper/Dave Pollard, came 2nd in class (Touring) on the Tour de France to Peter Proctor/Andrew Cowan's sister car DPK 7B: the third car, DPK 5B driven by Bo Ljungfeldt/Fergus Sager had starter motor problems and lost too much time to qualify. Ljungfeldt/Sager drove it again on the '65 Monte (DNF) after which AMR sold off all the previous year's cars including the Lotus Cortinas, Mustang DPJ 8B, etc.

6B went to Alan Mann's old friend and Wayside Garage business-partner, Roy Pierpoint, 7B to Alan Brown (for Brabham to race) and I believe 5B went to Gawaine Baillie, though cannot confirm. AMR prepared 6B for Pierpoint, converting it to a circuit racer ('did the same for the other two before selling?) and he won the 1965 British Saloon Car Championship with it. As I understand it, the car was entered under Pierpoint's Weybridge Engineering Co. and not, as is often reported, by AMR nor indeed Alan Brown. However, from Alan Mann's book it would appear that he was also managing the entries of this car and Baillie's, if not by now actually owning them: the book is a little unclear on this. Note that 6B retained the red with very thin gold stripe livery of the previous year, though AMR had by now adopted the more prominent, and well-known, gold on red colour scheme.

In his book, Mann also says that he used "a Mustang" at Spa, the Nurburgring and Zolder that year and there is a photo on p.123 of 6B at the 'ring, driven by Pierpoint & Jochen Neerpasch. However, it is painted white with (presumably) blue stripes instead of red, and he says he doesn't know why. I can't think of any reason they would transfer the reg. plates from one car to another but repainting it makes no more sense either (unless it was to appease Ford overseas) - can anyone shed light?

I have read elsewhere that Roy Pierpoint by now owned a construction company whose work included the building of the new Oyster Lane Cooper works, or part thereof. What I would like to know is: was Weybridge Engineering Co. (i.e. as his entry for the BSCC) the name of this construction company? Also, I believe he had a garage in Walton-on-Thames and that he built the prototype of the Unipower GT road car (ref. Georgano) and later examples of the Attila Gp.7 race cars. Again, can anyone confirm whether these were under the Weybridge Engineering banner or at the Walton garage? (what was the name of the Walton garage?).

#50 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 00:27

Can we clarify the point about Weybridge Engineering and Weyside Garage, please.?. I always understood it was Weyside Engineering, near the old wooden bridge , my source told me years ago, and Pierpoint was involved there with Cyril Libovitz. The civil engineering company was likely to have been a different company, who built the Send bypass, according to Nick Syrett, and dredged the river Wey, and whose owner, an expanding East Clandon farming family, also bought the former Connaught Cars premises to form Connaught Cars (1959)Ltd, from where they operated a commercial vehicle repair garage for some major companies, along with such work at another site. Alan Brown is listed as Sales Director on the official documents until he left a few years later.

I have always understood that Reg Tanner of Esso funded the Alan Brown entered Galaxie as a Celebrity car, qv the Esso contracted drivers who drove it, so it is reasonable to surmise that the same applied to the Mustang for JB, a car which had legality issues with valve gear, I understand.

For any info about  the Unipower project, who did what , when and where, and with what money, I recommended a conversation with the excellent Ernie Unger who will happily give you all the details. I had spoken to him previously, and he was an excellent guest speaker at one of Richard Hinton’s film events some time back.

With the Attila story, the first one was designed, with a bit of input  from well known engineer Valerian Dare Bryan, by the excellent Mark Perry, - I have to declare a certain bias here- who built it at his father’s garage, using major components from a wrecked Elite, as a road car. Peter Morley knows the car well.

The second, the 2 litre  Climax engined sports racer, was designed by Val DB again and built by Mark. Pierpoint may have driven it at some point, I have not checked, but I remember John Bekaert driving it. The V8 Attilas were again designed by Val DB, and built by Pierpoint, I believe. I cannot help with the Walton garage query. No doubt Nick Syrett could have told me, but it did not come up. Perhaps Mr Nye may be able to help.

As an extra point, please refer to post 48 about the registration number of the Galaxie used by Ljungfeldt on the 1963 Tour de France. Was that the Ford France entry and what happened to it after that event?

Roger Lund.