British bodied Fiat Balilla 508S - colour

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:25

Fiat Balilla 508S

A friend in UK has acquired the 1936 Fiat Balilla 508S, reg. RN 83. 
I do assume this is a fairly well known car, having a VSCC buff form and quite some well known history. 
My friend would still be very happy if anyone might have some photos from the car or can add stories to it´s history. 

One special point, which came up a few days ago, is the question of the body / wheel colour. It seemingly ( I have only seen some photos yet) is currently red with silver wheels. 
Now, the car, being one of the fairly small lot of UK supplied and therefore UK bodied 508s is pictured in the Profile Publication by Michael Sedgwick during some event in the 50s. It does look quite dark with dark painted wheels. 

Is there a (strong ?) possibility, that British built/completed/raced 508 would be BRG ? 
The car will get a rebuild, so painting it other than red would be a good option. 

Thank you very much in advance for any hints - I will pass everything on to the new and proud owner.

Ralf

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:07

Here’s the photo which appeared in that Profile:

fiat_508_6.jpg

The photo caption described it as ‘One of A. C. Westwood’s 508S cars’. In the text it mentioned ‘A. C. Westwood’s “Black Diamonds”, regular competitors in rallies’, and there’s another photo showing Westwood in another 508S (CVX 204) competing in the 1938 RAC Rally fitted with a home-made hardtop.

Here’s another photo:

fiat_508_12.jpg

It appears on this page, captioned:

The Black Diamonds. This shows A. C. Westwood's team of 508S cars during the North West London motor clubs Team Trial in 1936. Drivers from left to right are R. M. Westwood, R.M. Sanford and S.G.E. Tett. Note these Fiat's still sport the standard flared wings...

I’d suggest that the photo of RN 83 shows it to be similar in colour to the actual ‘Black Diamonds’, so my vote would be to paint it black.

#3 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:54

Tim - thank you for your quick and very helpful reply !

I totally missed out on the Black Diamonds name - I only got the Profile via email from my friend and did not read that.

Good idea, will pass that on - it would look good in black !

Ralf

#4 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 17:44

Tim - thank you for your quick and very helpful reply !
I totally missed out on the Black Diamonds name - I only got the Profile via email from my friend and did not read that.
Good idea, will pass that on - it would look good in black !

Ralf

A friend has a black Balilla with dark red/maroon wheels - it looks great

Another pal has a pale yellow one with dark red/maroon wheels and looks equally great

Being a member of the Black Diamond Team is a good clue, perhaps the seller of the Fiat can advise...

Bill P

Edited by bill p, 09 March 2018 - 16:31.