- - - - -

Silly Bernie Thread.

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 16:47

Bernie manages to contradict himself in just a few sentences. On the one hand saying that Ferrari is F1 and F1 is Ferrari, and that you have to give them what they want, then saying that F1 should stop paying teams, and that F1 should go full electric, both of which are almost guaranteed to mean that Ferrari leave F1. 

Lots more little nuggets in the two articles. 

https://www.theguard...ic-cars-ferrari

http://www.dailymail...y-split-F1.html

Is that a threat from him, that unless he gets a meaningful role again, then he is going to help engineer a breakaway series ? 

Advertisement

#2 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 16:53

Sounds to me like the rantings of an old man in the final stages before accepting that power has finally been wrested from his grasp. In this day and age I don't think his mindset and methods will work in creating a breakaway series that would actually succeed under current conditions.

Better to just not give him the oxygen of publicity, frankly.

#3 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 16:56

297.png

#4 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 17:01

Dear Bernie, relax and enjoy your elderly days.

#5 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 17:03

Also, given the randomness of these soundbites, I think it's a good idea to just keep them in this thread as they eventually come along. :)

#6 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,309 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 17:18

Isn’t this what Bernie always did? Just now he doesn’t have the power to get out of it,.

#7 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 17:26

Sounds to me like the rantings of an old man in the final stages before accepting that power has finally been wrested from his grasp. In this day and age I don't think his mindset and methods will work in creating a breakaway series that would actually succeed under current conditions.

Better to just not give him the oxygen of publicity, frankly.

Perhaps but so far the current incumbents are still in limbo, not sure I like what has happened thus far.

#8 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:09

just saw a random news article (The Sun):

How old is Bernie Ecclestone, what’s his net worth, how much did he sell Formula One for and who are his daughters Tamara and Petra?

First part of the title made me laugh, How old is Bernie?

#9 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:20

just saw a random news article (The Sun):

How old is Bernie Ecclestone, what’s his net worth, how much did he sell Formula One for and who are his daughters Tamara and Petra?

First part of the title made me laugh, How old is Bernie?

that's basically a 'we have all this data for this guy's obituary, he's not dying, might as well make an article out of it' kinda article written by the people that usually write .. obituaries.

#10 CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

• 2,453 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:30

Why do people keep giving him publicity.

#11 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:38

As I recall, just 'yesterday' Bernie was bemoaning the hybrid turbos and wanted V8s / V10s back on the grid. Now it's full electric...

He knows or care what his real agenda or preferences are anymore :drunk:

#12 loki

loki

• 12,250 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:42

Perhaps but so far the current incumbents are still in limbo, not sure I like what has happened thus far.

Limbo?  They own it, they are managing it.  Ecclestone is not coming back.  Ferrari is not going to dictate the terms of their new deal.  On track nothing has changed in the big picture since Ecclestone was shown the door.  The big teams still get an outsized share of the purse.  One team keeps dominating with another couple almost in the hunt with some wins here and there.  There is a halo, some different bits on the car and a couple of new manufacturer sponsors.  On track though last season was nearly the same as it's been in previous years.

#13 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:44

Why do people keep giving him publicity.

... including this thread.  He is FINALLY gone and irrelevant, and you guys have nothing better to do than to put him back in the spotlight where he doesn't belong!  :lol:

#14 CSF

CSF

• 2,825 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:47

Bernie and Max are interesting people. 

#15 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:50

30 min. video interview with both of them. Interesting stuff:

#16 pdac

pdac

• 17,230 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 17:21

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-43224171

#17 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 17:47

That Channel 4 interview is bananas.

Why did his lawyers allow him to go on TV to try and defend himself like that?

#18 turk157

turk157

• 177 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 18:42

Bernie-Ecclestone-Christmas-Card.jpg

#19 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 4,794 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 22:18

That Channel 4 interview is bananas.

Why did his lawyers allow him to go on TV to try and defend himself like that?

I've never actually seen Max that bad in an interview, he starts off by saying the poster isn't real and want's a forensic examination, then says parts of it are racist before later claiming the politician can't be called racist because he didn't sign the poster, Max did. That's Max admitting to signing the poster he just claimed didn't exist. Then he later claims it isn't racist after clearly admitting it was.

:rotfl:

Advertisement

#20 balmybaldwin

balmybaldwin

• 2,084 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 00:29

Odd the pair are suddenly in the news.

Today's mail (no i don't buy it - it's in the office coffee room) was a complete hatchet job on Mosely digging up all of the nazi orgy stuff, his dad's history with the facist movement etc must have been 10 pages of it from the front page back they've even linked him to the Steven Lawrence Murder ffs http://www.dailymail...s-movement.html

#21 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 8,681 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:54

Bernie is funny. In a sort of sad old man's way funny. 

#22 pdac

pdac

• 17,230 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:21

Odd the pair are suddenly in the news.

Today's mail (no i don't buy it - it's in the office coffee room) was a complete hatchet job on Mosely digging up all of the nazi orgy stuff, his dad's history with the facist movement etc must have been 10 pages of it from the front page back they've even linked him to the Steven Lawrence Murder ffs http://www.dailymail...s-movement.html

Since he was caught with his pants down, so to speak, Max has been on a campaign to get the lawmakers to stamp on the press and allow him to erase anything from his past that he doesn't want to be in the public domain. He want's to be seen by history as a shining and exemplary example of the human race. He is using all of his power, influence and money to achieve this. Perhaps, as one might expect, the press are fighting back.

#23 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 12:58

I didn't see any point in starting a new thread, but "Silly Bernie" seems an appropriate title for this: 

https://www.espn.co....ly-carrying-gun

Former Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone was arrested in Brazil on Wednesday for illegally carrying a gun while boarding a private plane to Switzerland, local police said on Thursday.

The Brazilian police found an undocumented LW Seecamp .32 gun in Ecclestone's luggage during an X-ray screening, police said in a statement, adding that he was then arrested and taken to a facility at Viracopos airport in Campinas.

Ecclestone acknowledged owning the gun, but said he was unaware it was in his luggage at the time, police said. The Briton paid bail and was freed to travel to Switzerland.

#24 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 13:05

OK, you can be released against bail, but don't leave the country. Flies to Switzerland  :p

#25 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 2,265 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 13:33

This is amazing! Do you think it's ever been fired? One wonders who he was going to visit, or perhaps who he had just been visiting??!

#26 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 13:57

This is amazing! Do you think it's ever been fired? One wonders who he was going to visit, or perhaps who he had just been visiting??!

It does sound like the back-cover premise for an 'airport trash' thriller book...

"A nonagenerian billionaire with a mysterious past is caught on a private jet heading for Switzerland from Brazil with a handgun in his suitcase. Travelling with him is his equally mysterious young wife. A lifetime in motor racing, politics and business quickly catches up with him as his secrets are unravelled faster than the cars he used to race. Can his true intentions be discovered before it is too late?" 

Edited by JimmyClark, 26 May 2022 - 13:59.

#27 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 5,712 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 13:57

"Bring me the head of Liberty Media"

Bernie: "Will a gunshot do?"

#28 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 14:16

Nelson Piquet, according to The Guardian.

https://www.theguard...gun-motor-sport

#29 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 14:20

I'd never heard of a Seecamp .32 pistol before. Appropriately, it turns out that, like Bernie, it's not very big.

LWS32.jpg

#30 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 14:27

Maybe he is trying to under compensate.

#31 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 15:05

BCE lives half the year in his own coffee plantation near Sao Paulo, and the other six months in Geneva.

#32 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 15:23

I'd never heard of a Seecamp .32 pistol before. Appropriately, it turns out that, like Bernie, it's not very big.

LWS32.jpg

Does the multi-billionaire Bernie Ecclestone no longer pay for protection? 

#33 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,309 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 15:34

LWS32.jpg

For Bernie that’s a normal sized pistol.

#34 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,537 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 15:55

This thread is pure gold. How did I miss it before?  

It is fitting that Bernie is involved in this variety of international scandals.  Anything less and we'd all feel shorted.  (I'll show myself out now.)

#35 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 16:07

LWS32.jpg

It reminds me of the Noisy Cricket from Men in Black  :lol:

#36 MKSixer

MKSixer

• 3,537 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 16:16

It reminds me of the Noisy Cricket from Men in Black  :lol:

They are on the way to true fame and fortune.  If you search Seecamp .32 an image of Bernie and the story now pops up half-way down the page.  Sales are about to shoot to through the stratosphere.  (Ok...I'm really leaving now.)

https://video.search...3e&action=click

#37 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 16:58

I didn't see any point in starting a new thread, but "Silly Bernie" seems an appropriate title for this: 

https://www.espn.co....ly-carrying-gun

Maybe he really did 'forget' there was a handgun in his luggage. Good ol' Bernie is so old jokes about his senility are past their due date by about 20 years. 

#38 Izzyeviel

Izzyeviel

• 3,172 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 17:01

I'm surprised there isn't a gif of mr burns firing a gun. I can just imagine young bernie whipping out his gun to shoot someone and ending up flying backwards by several feet.

#39 Brian60

Brian60

• 591 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 17:35

He lives in Brazil and has a huge coffee plantation there - Brundle once did an interview with him from the place. Perhaps the question was, who was he going to assassinate in Switzerland (alledgedly)

Advertisement

#40 Dhillon

Dhillon

• 929 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 17:52

I'm surprised there isn't a gif of mr burns firing a gun. I can just imagine young bernie whipping out his gun to shoot someone and ending up flying backwards by several feet.

8xZa.gif

#41 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,614 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 17:54

BCE lives half the year in his own coffee plantation near Sao Paulo, and the other six months in Geneva.

Yep. He's still doing just fine. 

#42 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,076 posts

Posted 26 May 2022 - 23:55

He can start up a break away serie in Russia with his best friend Putin

#43 Widefoot2

Widefoot2

• 2,321 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 00:28

I can just imagine what Mr. Boothroyd would have said to Bernie...

#44 malomay

malomay

• 77 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 00:30

I can just imagine what Mr. Boothroyd would have said to Bernie...

"ladies gun sir"

#45 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,214 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 04:22

If I was Bernie I’d be carrying a gun too

Think Ozark.
Jp

#46 JimmyClark

JimmyClark

• 4,803 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:29

Bernie on Putin...

https://twitter.com/...Syp4Sb9Hvw&s=19

#47 IrvTheSwerve

IrvTheSwerve

• 5,075 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:44

Yeah, saw this on GMB in the UK this morning...yikes, I'm shocked that he's said all that. To summarise, he said he would "take a bullet" for Putin and that he is an honourable man.

Surely that puts him in an awkward position business-wise and in his personal life. 

Edited by IrvTheSwerve, 30 June 2022 - 07:45.

#48 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:49

Boss Goosed his way through another car crash TV interview.  :stoned:

#49 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:00

Isn’t this what Bernie always did? Just now he doesn’t have the power to get out of it,.

Exactly. Not much different to his power days.

I never understood how it he made it all work, the way he came across in public, but the undeniable fact is, he DID made it work.

#50 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,229 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 08:04

Why should any media interview a former FOM boss about Ukraine?

Strange.