• 863 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 17:45

Finally i can get rid of my country's poor local coverage  :clap:

Advertisement

#52 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 2,028 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 17:46

Due to time-zones, the nature of the service is irrelevant to me unless I can time-shift and access the delayed version without having the result spoilered. 

#53 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,285 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 17:48

Seventy to a hundred quid a year, (probably quite a lot less to be honest as the season is only nine months long) is a lot better than anything that Sky would ever offer. I wonder if they will throw in access to historic races if you choose to take an annual subscription. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky try to elope out of their deal, now that a much better one for customers has been offered. 

Surely I could just get somebody who lives abroad to use their debit card for payment and use a VP thingy. 

#54 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,240 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 17:55

Seventy to a hundred quid a year, (probably quite a lot less to be honest as the season is only nine months long) is a lot better than anything that Sky would ever offer. I wonder if they will throw in access to historic races if you choose to take an annual subscription. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky try to elope out of their deal, now that a much better one for customers has been offered.

Surely I could just get somebody who lives abroad to use their debit card for payment and use a VP thingy.

I believe SKY have the online rights so unless FOM come to a deal its a no no for the UK 😠

#55 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,287 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 17:59

The launch video is so sloppy. The old F1 logo is visible throughout it.

#56 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 16,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:09

https://www.youtube....h?v=hQZSM2OaDgw

4:3 aspect ratio, too.

We don't all have iPads, Liberty. :stoned:

They've also overlayed the new graphics (lap counter for e.g) on top, instead of replacing them.

#57 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,037 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:11

Is there any list of countries in which it will be available?

Edited by Mc_Silver, 27 February 2018 - 18:32.

#58 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 5,813 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:15

No Canada???  :(  :cry:  :cry:

#59 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:16

Is there any list of countries in which it will be availble?

I would like to know as well because I fear it won't be available in the Netherlands. If it were to be available here I'm sure they would've mentioned, even Belgium was mentioned in the press release!  :p

Advertisement

#60 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,795 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:27

Whilst it is region locked, I am pretty sure people will find a way around it. It’s not actually in liberty’s interest to lock it down too tight - they don’t care where people are as long as they pay. For years Netflix region blocking was easily defeated and even now it is still achievable.

#61 balage06

balage06

• 863 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:27

I think this is just a showcase with a mobile app prototyping tool and not the actual application (it's a common thing nowadays, you can send an interactive demo to your clients and get feedback from them with much less effort during the development phase ).

#62 pRy

pRy

• 14,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:29

The video looks like a mock up which is fair enough.

Personally I'd throw money at them at that price point and be happy with just the main feed on my TV. 

#63 yasushi888

yasushi888

• 223 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:31

The archive will be available globally from the start though, :clap:   Finally might be able to legally watch F1 from pre 1999 without the need for a VHS tape!

#64 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 11,285 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:34

I believe SKY have the online rights so unless FOM come to a deal its a no no for the UK

As people have said, there are ways around that without resorting to our Nigerian friends. 

#65 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 3,458 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:35

I hate Sky so much.

Seething.

#66 hamilton10000

hamilton10000

• 215 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:40

Seeing this just makes me even more annoyed at Sky. This is literally exactly the sort of service I have wanted for years, the opportunity to choose how I watch F1 (what camera angles, onboards, data etc.) and at only around £10 it's an absolute bargain! If I could, I would subscribe in a heart beat! But no, for the next 7 years we are gonna be shafted by Sky's substandard coverage, I'm sure they won't make anymore live on-boards available even though they clearly could as the official service will be doing it. And Sky will just have absolutely no incentive to make any improvements to their coverage as they will have no competition whatsoever for the next 7 years. 

So yes, this service looks absolutely amazing, but Liberty need to somehow find a way to reach an agreement with Sky to make this available in the UK as it's just ridiculous. 

Most of the world can get amazing, comprehensive coverage for £10, we have to pay £40 a month minimum for substandard Sky coverage  :mad:

#67 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,170 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:44

I would pay for it, but I guess it won't be available in my country. What a shame, only 5 EU countries will get access to it.

#68 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,595 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:49

Whilst it is region locked, I am pretty sure people will find a way around it. It’s not actually in liberty’s interest to lock it down too tight - they don’t care where people are as long as they pay. For years Netflix region blocking was easily defeated and even now it is still achievable.

Don't count on that, Netflix used to region lock their content but turning a blind eye to people using VPNs / Smart DNS services.....until one day they decided its enough.

If Liberty won't enforce the region lock they might end having legal problems with Sky for example in the UK or Movistar in Spain etc etc...

Edited by xtremeclock, 27 February 2018 - 18:49.

#69 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 4,574 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:59

What needs clarifying?

If someone in the UK wanted to dump Sky and use this service to watch F1 instead then they'll probably have to sign up using a credit/bank card from a region where the service is available.

And if they want to download and use any of the mobile/TV apps then they'll also have to circumvent the region locks that most app stores have.

Setting up a VPN connection is the easy bit compared to all that hassle.

I've used both Sky (via a credit card in Turkey) and Eurosport (via a credit card in the USA), and haven't had a problem. I'm still watching Eurosport on PureVPN having paid for it on a US credit card. I just had to come up with an English address and thank Google Maps for that.

#70 TheManAlive

TheManAlive

• 2,795 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:02

Don't count on that, Netflix used to region lock their content but turning a blind eye to people using VPNs / Smart DNS services.....until one day they decided its enough.

If Liberty won't enforce the region lock they might end having legal problems with Sky for example in the UK or Movistar in Spain etc etc...

Netflix can still be accessed, its just not as easy as it once was. Now TV, Sky's online service can be accessed, bbc Iplayer can be accessed, Amazon TV can be accessed.  It can be a hassle to setup, but it is doable.  It wont take long for the tech savvy F1 fans to work a way around it and then post guides online. 

Edited by TheManAlive, 27 February 2018 - 19:02.

#71 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,562 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:12

Germany is on the list, but not Switzerland.  :stoned:  :smoking:

#72 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,033 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:15

...but this is what VPN's were made for.

Good idea but too many ramifications which one doesn't consider. I bought goods from Amazon and the ip was logged in UK, half an hour later I was in a local supermarket (Canaries) and used same credit card which was refused. Luckily, I had cash along with my damaged ego. On getting home and contacting the bank, I was told that my card had been blocked as their system picked up the fact that travelling from UK to Canaries in less than an hour was impossible and that I should be grateful for the vigilance of their system.

#73 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 2,985 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:25

I would pay for it, but I guess it won't be available in my country. What a shame, only 5 EU countries will get access to it.

They didn't list every country. Probably most countries that don't have a pay-TV F1 will get this.

#74 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,361 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:34

So we in the UK can't get this?   FFS Sky.   This would make a lovely present for my friend, buy him a years ticket at a reasonable price.

Up yours sky! :mad: :mad: :mad:

#75 taz

taz

• 331 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:43

Belgium too, yay :clap:

i'm seriously considering this.

my only option the last 2-3 years was watching it on a tv channel which is not in my native language. I speak dutch but F1 was only on tv on the french speaking part of Belgium. There's a very expensive pay-tv channel too.

But 8-12 dollars sounds way less then that :)

#76 pRy

pRy

• 14,969 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:00

So we in the UK can't get this?   FFS Sky.   This would make a lovely present for my friend, buy him a years ticket at a reasonable price.

Up yours sky! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Liberty should make Sky an offer they can't refuse and have the Sky production team including Brundle etc front the official coverage. And let Sky show the main feed.

Edited by pRy, 27 February 2018 - 20:01.

#77 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,576 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:03

I hate Sky so much.

Seething.

You guys so pissed at Sky would have been in a world of **** if you'd had NBC.

#78 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 796 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:10

David Hill mentioned "Germany, France and a number of other Nordic countries" this morning – either he is confused about which countries are Nordic (Austria, Belgium and Hungary are surely not) or the list of countries will be expanded.

#79 pdac

pdac

• 7,074 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:53

Considerably less than what MotoGP charges. Obviously the racing's not as good, but interesting nonetheless.

They want people to sign up. Have you never signed up to a free service only to find that once it's become the only one to use, suddenly it's not free anymore (and then the price goes up year-on-year)?

Advertisement

#80 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 593 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:56

MotoGP used to be a lot less expensive...

#81 rosenbergendo

rosenbergendo

• 14 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:02

4k, or just 1080-p 60?

#82 Laster

Laster

• 1,654 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:05

This is exactly what I’ve wanted for years now. A shame I can’t get it due to being in the UK. -.- I am going to be scouring the net to try and find a way to get around the block on the UK.

#83 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 26,360 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:08

They want people to sign up. Have you never signed up to a free service only to find that once it's become the only one to use, suddenly it's not free anymore (and then the price goes up year-on-year)?

I still pay the same price for my Autosport sub that I did 10 years ago!

#84 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 16,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:16

4k, or just 1080-p 60?

:lol:

I think we'll be lucky to get 720p to begin with.

#85 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 996 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:30

Am I the only person who thinks this is really bad news?  It buries any remaining hope that Liberty would recognise the value of free TV in developing an audience. Instead they're cashing in too.

#86 Jordan44

Jordan44

• 6,979 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:37

If you can get a non UK credit card to pay for it, and non of the apps with be available on the UK versions of the various app stores.

Good idea but too many ramifications which one doesn't consider. I bought goods from Amazon and the ip was logged in UK, half an hour later I was in a local supermarket (Canaries) and used same credit card which was refused. Luckily, I had cash along with my damaged ego. On getting home and contacting the bank, I was told that my card had been blocked as their system picked up the fact that travelling from UK to Canaries in less than an hour was impossible and that I should be grateful for the vigilance of their system.

Potentially, however the EFL have just launched a similar OTT service which does not have live video to UK viewers - however the app is the same for international and UK Viewers and a VPN works with no issues. Doesn't even care about where the card is that it is charging and I have not experienced a fraud detection issue with Santander. Depends entirely on who is implementing it and how much they want to invest in geographical protection I guess.

Edited by Jordan44, 27 February 2018 - 21:39.

#87 Jerem

Jerem

• 1,478 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:39

I would pay for it since it's substantially cheaper than Canal+ which is about 40 euros/month (yes, there's other content but I'm mostly interested in F1). However the subscription for Canal+ is for at least 12 months so if they don't start the service at the beginning of the season it's not very helpful.

#88 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,447 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 21:59

Why do you Brits always get screwed over in everything ??.. Is it karma or some celestial body just wanting to hear world championship moaning?

#89 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 593 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 22:24

I think if any of you do use it in the UK the best thing to do is not to boast about it. Keep quiet about your location and enjoy the fact you are able to view it.

Otherwise I'd expect it'll not last long for you. Security will change etc and vpn will no longer be enough....

#90 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,170 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 22:26

Why do you Brits always get screwed over in everything ??.. Is it karma or some celestial body just wanting to hear world championship moaning?

Yeah Brits got really screwed over when it comes to F1. Most F1 teams are based in Britain, they get the best up to date live coverage in the entire world, they have some of the best experts in the business working as journos, they have current world champion. I really would not like to be in their shoes, phew, this has to be terrible.

Edited by dweller23, 27 February 2018 - 22:27.

#91 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,295 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 22:48

In order to be a plucky loser, you must first be a loser.

#92 SKL

SKL

• 993 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:05

Once this is going I guess it won't matter who has the rights in the USA...   can't wait for it.  I'll still miss Hobo but the streaming and options it has will make up for it.

#93 loki

loki

• 5,315 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:12

Am I the only person who thinks this is really bad news?  It buries any remaining hope that Liberty would recognise the value of free TV in developing an audience. Instead they're cashing in too.

There was never a hope that Liberty would move to free TV.  First, that's not why Malone bought it.  He bought it to sell to the highest bidder and to get a direct to consumer model launched, to leverage areas where there had been no effort to monetize.  He's the Cable Cowboy, the Darth Vader of pay tv.  He helped pioneer the concept.  Second, there is no value in free TV in and of itself for premium content providers.  Free TV is not the current business model for modern broadcast.  I've said this at least as many times over the last season as Honda has blown up engines since they've been back.  It's no longer about how many watch.  It's who is watching and how many want to pay for it.  For all the willy wagging about England being the home of F1, best coverage, market, whatever, the live Sky broadcasts don't draw many more viewers than NBCSN draws in the US, perhaps the weakest of all major markets.  And Sky is still willing to pay a reported US$25 mil/year for the rights.  It's 2018 gang.  TV changed a long time ago and it's only now F1 is catching up.

#94 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,447 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:15

Yeah Brits got really screwed over when it comes to F1. Most F1 teams are based in Britain, they get the best up to date live coverage in the entire world, they have some of the best experts in the business working as journos, they have current world champion. I really would not like to be in their shoes, phew, this has to be terrible.

And... You are defending a point which you've misconstrued in the first place.

#95 loki

loki

• 5,315 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:19

4k, or just 1080-p 60?

Many people don't have the pipes to get full 4k over a data connection though the races are shot in 4k and down converted to 1080.  Mobile users would eat up a ton of data if they were streaming 4k.  Also most don't yet have devices that can display 4k.  My phone is the only device I have that has a 4k display.  I suspect that over the next year the number of 4k TVs will rapidly grow, as will phones, tablets and PCs but you still have to get that data off the network.  That's going to be the choke point.

#96 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 2,724 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:43

It does not sound like a good deal to me compared to the offerings of some of the other seasonal sports out there. But I guess if you're a cord cutter that only wants F1, it might be a better deal than cable. Have they announced the commentating teams yet? 

#97 loki

loki

• 5,315 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:51

No official word on the team.  It's been rumored/known for a while that Buxton has some sort of role which he alluded to in a tweet earlier.  As long as he's not joined by Crofty, Darrel Waltrip, Eddie Cheever and Kyle Petty I'm good with it...

#98 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 16,631 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:55

I've heard rumours of James Allen and Tom Clarkson as well. If you just go through the YouTube channel, you'll get a good idea. Peter Windsor, too.

#99 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 2,724 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 23:55

No official word on the team.  It's been rumored/known for a while that Buxton has some sort of role which he alluded to in a tweet earlier.  As long as he's not joined by Crofty, Darrel Waltrip, Eddie Cheever and Kyle Petty I'm good with it...

Buxton is great in the interviewer role, but as a commentator his voice doesn't work well. If FOM want this to succeed they desperately need Bob Varsha. 

Advertisement

#100 loki

loki

• 5,315 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 00:01

I think Buxton's chemistry with the drivers and in the paddock is great.  Would hate to see him moved to the booth.  Varsha is good but has said he wasn't approached.  James Allen, Tom Clarkson and Peter Windsor are all good choices.  Tom makes a good point about looking at the You Tube channel to see who it may be.  They're using those people already for other content.  I liked when Windsor did the coverage on Speed.  A shame his team didn't work out but he's been out long enough.  It would be good to see him back.