* * * * - 2 votes

F1 TV

• Please log in to reply
1745 replies to this topic

#101 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,031 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 00:02

I would like to know as well because I fear it won't be available in the Netherlands.

Since Ziggo is owned by Liberty Media (50%), there might be some legal hurdles to jump before they can announce this service for the Netherlands, but probably no prohibitive long-term contracts such as in countries where the rights have been sold to third parties.

Just speculation, of course. They might also figure they don't care to compete with themselves.

Edited by Nonesuch, 28 February 2018 - 00:04.

Advertisement

#102 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,188 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 00:06

And... You are defending a point which you've misconstrued in the first place.

Not sure what are you talking about, I also find it amusing that Brits keep moaning about everything here. And F1 TV was really the only thing I was looking forward to, as in my country there were 5 or 6 seasons shown on FTA channel in last 25 years.

#103 K20a

K20a

• 253 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 00:19

Damn, if this becomes available in Australia I'll be jumping on it straight away. Beats the ridiculous $65/month for Foxtel...

#104 Rjpscr

Rjpscr

• 205 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 00:51

So with the on-demand does that include the onboards during a race?

#105 Pumpkinz

Pumpkinz

• 339 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:44

Will one be able to chose the commentator Language? I don't watch F1 on RTL in Germany for free, why would i pay to hear these muppets talk? I i could access English Audio however, that would be interesting.

#106 BCM

BCM

• 1,589 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:02

I have Ziggo now but I would instantly buy a F1 TV subscription as it means I don't have to listen to Olav Mol, Jack Plooij and the rest of the Verstappen worshippers in the studio anymore.

You'll just be swapping one lot for another my friend. Sky has a love affair with Hamilton. Australian commentators are just as sickly about Ricciardo as they where when Webber was racing.

I can only assume that all the national broadcasters are the same with their respective drivers.

I'd love to exchange Fox here in Australia for a direct F1 stream. I'm going to guess we won't see it until Fox's deal expires though. Luckily I have a work funded VPN...

#107 fml

fml

• 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:35

You'll just be swapping one lot for another my friend. Sky has a love affair with Hamilton. Australian commentators are just as sickly about Ricciardo as they where when Webber was racing.

I can only assume that all the national broadcasters are the same with their respective drivers.

I'd love to exchange Fox here in Australia for a direct F1 stream. I'm going to guess we won't see it until Fox's deal expires though. Luckily I have a work funded VPN...

Well at least sky has quite a few knowledgeable people working on the F1 broadcast. It doesn't compare to the broadcast in the Netherlands. We have a pitreporter who hardly speaks english?? when his main job is interviewing people in english. And the commentator Olav Mol who does this work for over 20 years is often mind boggelingly ignorant about F1. The studio experts and host are insufferable with there bluster and over the top fanboyism for Verstappen.

The Sky broadcast isn't perfect no, but by god you guys don't know how good you have it in comparison.  :p

#108 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 6,676 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:01

Damn, if this becomes available in Australia I'll be jumping on it straight away. Beats the ridiculous $65/month for Foxtel...

I have Foxtel Now, which has the same ridiculous prices, and a lot of stuff shown on "live tv" which should be on demand only.

The other thing I hate about Foxtel is that the races are only available on demand for a short while, the Australian GP has had ads in it the past 2 years and the on-demand quality seems less than the live broadcast.

Looks like the Foxtel deal runs to 2019 or 2020.

#109 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:14

Well at least sky has quite a few knowledgeable people working on the F1 broadcast. It doesn't compare to the broadcast in the Netherlands. We have a pitreporter who hardly speaks english?? when his main job is interviewing people in english. And the commentator Olav Mol who does this work for over 20 years is often mind boggelingly ignorant about F1. The studio experts and host are insufferable with there bluster and over the top fanboyism for Verstappen.

The Sky broadcast isn't perfect no, but by god you guys don't know how good you have it in comparison.  :p

Exactly, I've seen people complaining about Sky but they have no idea how knowledgeable and unbiased they are in comparison to for example Ziggo in the Netherlands. In general the UK public is way more knowledgeable in terms of motorsport so they expect a higher level of broadcast to match that, Ziggo the Dutch broadcaster would never have gotten away with the rubbish they produce in the UK.

Edited by TheRacingElf, 28 February 2018 - 08:15.

#110 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,791 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:50

I doubt the F1 TV thing will use SKY commentary. It will probably be Allen who already sort of works for FOM plus some local journo for multilingual.

But as someone that has experienced F1 broadcasts in a sizeable number of countries I agree that the British teams have been consistently better than anybody else. Not just Sky, pretty much everybody since the BBC/Murray days.

#111 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,521 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:09

Surely the ultimate proof of the pudding is in how many subscribers they get. If it's not enough that they can make more flogging the TV rights to companies then they'll be dropping this pilot like a sack of potatoes.

Put it this way, If Sky pay£25m a year for the rights, in order to get that much revenue in the UK, then at say £8pm over 8 months (as no one will sub over the close season), providing £64 per full subscriber they need....

390,625 full subscribers for the UK.

And actually it'll be more than that, as they'll have to cover marketing, production costs etc etc.

So it sounds really interesting, and could be a game changer, but also depends on the uptake and if it makes sense for them economically.

#112 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:46

Surely the ultimate proof of the pudding is in how many subscribers they get. If it's not enough that they can make more flogging the TV rights to companies then they'll be dropping this pilot like a sack of potatoes.

Put it this way, If Sky pay£25m a year for the rights, in order to get that much revenue in the UK, then at say £8pm over 8 months (as no one will sub over the close season), providing £64 per full subscriber they need....

390,625 full subscribers for the UK.

And actually it'll be more than that, as they'll have to cover marketing, production costs etc etc.

So it sounds really interesting, and could be a game changer, but also depends on the uptake and if it makes sense for them economically.

F1TV is not a direct substitute for the tv deals though, the two can perfectly live together. The worth of the TV deals will inevitably go down but they won't become completely worthless overnight. 

#113 loki

loki

• 5,450 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:49

I doubt the F1 TV thing will use SKY commentary. It will probably be Allen who already sort of works for FOM plus some local journo for multilingual.

But as someone that has experienced F1 broadcasts in a sizeable number of countries I agree that the British teams have been consistently better than anybody else. Not just Sky, pretty much everybody since the BBC/Murray days.

We won't see the Sky commentary on the world feed.  It will be FOM produced.  My guess is the only reason FOM got the Sky feed for ESPN was because they didn't/still don't know exactly when the live feeds would go into production and didn't want to leave ESPN hanging without any coverage since the ESPN deal requires FOM to provide the program end to end.

#114 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:51

Thoughts?

https://www.formula1...on-service.html

Andy

I think unless my family DO move to Germany that this has nothing to do with me as a UK resident about to lose access to F1 altogether thanks to Bernie and Sky.

#115 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 1,521 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:52

F1TV is not a direct substitute for the tv deals though, the two can perfectly live together. The worth of the TV deals will inevitably go down but they won't become completely worthless overnight. 

Thats true, but then Sky will only offer say £10m per season next time, not £25m. (or something along those lines).

It'll still boil down to money at the end.

#116 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:53

Has anyone seen prcing on this however??? They are rather coy on that from what I can see.

#117 loki

loki

• 5,450 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:54

I think once the demographic starts aging more (or continues to age) those watching traditional broadcast will die off, quite literally.    I think it will get to a point sooner rather than later where FOM provide a feed, soup to nuts, in the native language of the broadcasters in a particular market and provide a more enhanced feed with interaction and data/stats for those that want to subscribe direct.

#118 loki

loki

• 5,450 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:55

Has anyone seen prcing on this however??? They are rather coy on that from what I can see.

Read the press release.

#119 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,791 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:00

they said between $8-$12 geo dependant (which I guess means cheaper in the developing countries, more expensive in 'richer' countries)

pretty specific if you ask me

Advertisement

#120 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:01

they said between $8-$12 geo dependant (which I guess means cheaper in the developing countries, more expensive in 'richer' countries)

pretty specific if you ask me

Well it said ZIP on money in the article I read from Autosport yesterday. Is that $12 per event, per month, what???

Edited by amedeofelix, 28 February 2018 - 10:01.

#121 anyeis

anyeis

• 1,371 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:02

I wonder if Liberty will come to regret this. You would need millions of subscribers to this service to make much sense for them

How much less will the TV companies pay now with Liberty competing against them?

Edited by anyeis, 28 February 2018 - 10:03.

#122 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,791 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:02

those figures are per month, there will also be an as yet unannounced annual rate

#123 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:06

those figures are per month, there will also be an as yet unannounced annual rate

Much apreciated.

#124 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:09

We won't see the Sky commentary on the world feed. It will be FOM produced. My guess is the only reason FOM got the Sky feed for ESPN was because they didn't/still don't know exactly when the live feeds would go into production and didn't want to leave ESPN hanging without any coverage since the ESPN deal requires FOM to provide the program end to end.

ESPN are using the Sky feed because Liberty is going to use the NBC crew for the English F1 TV commentary team.

#125 loki

loki

• 5,450 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:10

I wonder if Liberty will come to regret this. You would need millions of subscribers to this service to make much sense for them

How much less will the TV companies pay now with Liberty competing against them?

They'll make more from fewer people watching and be able to control the narrative and better promote the sport.  With the exception of the Sky deal most of the deals aren't that lucrative compared to the universe of those that like F1.

#126 nosecone

nosecone

• 1,844 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:20

I have a 29,99€ Sky Germany subscription until November. The only reason i have it was F1. And they won't broadcast it this year.

<15€ for F1TV is a good deal IMO

#127 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,208 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:30

Finally a streamed F1 service which I've been waiting for for years, and James "the c*ck" Allen is commentating. Time to restart the "stop the c*ck" campaign ?

Just kill me now.

#128 ANF

ANF

• 8,441 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:39

Well it said ZIP on money in the article I read from Autosport yesterday. Is that $12 per event, per month, what???

From the press release:

During the season, F1 TV will be made available in four different languages (English, French, German and Spanish)
and will appear in nearly two dozen markets at launch
(including Germany, France, USA, Mexico, Belgium, Austria, Hungary and much of Latin America).

Access will initially be available through desktop and web,
with mobile apps and TV apps being phased in on Amazon, Apple and Android,
enabling users to watch on a range of different devices at no additional cost.

Pricing for F1 TV Pro will be offered on a monthly basis of USD$8-$12,
and annual rates will be priced according to market.

#129 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,812 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:59

There is currently a press conference in Barcelona

Press conference with Liberty’s Arthofer on yesterday’s announcement about the F1 live streaming service
Arthofer says Liberty is working with their partners to prevent VPN issues in the countries where the service isn’t available
“We are trying to build an indispensable platform but for instance we are not looking to beat SkySports in terms of coverage
Arthofer says it’s a matter of time before the product reaches Scandinavia.
“The goal is to have historic content at the launch both in full and highlight formats”
“Online streaming is evolving so quickly. So building a stable product is a win”
“Having Portuguese Russian, Chinese, Arabic is a challenge. At some point you will be able to listen to events in these languages”

F1 is launching a revolutionary new streaming service, which will be ready in time for the Australian GP at the end of March. Full details to follow

#130 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:22

From the press release:

During the season, F1 TV will be made available in four different languages (English, French, German and Spanish)
and will appear in nearly two dozen markets at launch
(including Germany, France, USA, Mexico, Belgium, Austria, Hungary and much of Latin America).

Access will initially be available through desktop and web,
with mobile apps and TV apps being phased in on Amazon, Apple and Android,
enabling users to watch on a range of different devices at no additional cost.

Pricing for F1 TV Pro will be offered on a monthly basis of USD$8-$12,
and annual rates will be priced according to market.

Muchos gracias!

#131 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,933 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:28

I think this is all good news.

Just to save any future warnings/ bannings, I'd also like to remind people about the longstanding rule about not posting stuff to live threads like this one that may be deemed to be infringing on copyright or helping people do that:

Before the season gets started we would like to remind you that anyone using any part of the forum to advertise, promote or in any form link to; a site or service that is illegally streaming, or allowing someone to illegally circumvent the geographical restraints for accessing legal streams; may be suspended or banned without warning.

Please remind yourself of the Bulletin Board Rules and the RC House Rules before posting, which state:

Forum members are not permitted to post content, feeds or illegal streaming links they have copied from other websites into the forum without adequate referencing, attribution and consideration of copyright. This includes live streams broadcast over streaming apps like Periscope, Meerkat etc where it is a stream of a private event we might reasonably expect to be prohibited by the host of that event.

You may not post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or with permission of the copyright owner.

Thank you.

Bolding mine, discussion by PM only if needed.

Carry on!

#132 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:28

Frank Arthofer di Liberty Media: partiremo in 40 nazioni con 4 lingue. Più tempo i fan passeranno sulla nostra piattaforma, meglio è per i nostri stakeholder. Vogliamo creare molti contenuti originali per i nostri fan. #F1Testing #F1 #BarcelonaTest #F1TV

Frank Arthofer di Liberty Media: non vogliamo essere in competizione con altri siti o televisione. Vi faremo avere una lista dei 43/44 mercati su cui lanceremo la piattaforma nel 2018. Ci sono USA, Germania, Francia e molti altri. Assente l'Italia.

My Italian isn't the best but apperently it's going to launch in a lot more (over 40) countries.

#133 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,970 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:32

ESPN are using the Sky feed because Liberty is going to use the NBC crew for the English F1 TV commentary team.

Oh my...

#134 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:32

Frank Arthofer di Liberty Media: la telecronaca in inglese di F1 TV sarà quella di Sky UK, quella francese sarà quella di Canal+. #F1Testing #F1 #BarcelonaTest #F1TV

Sky will do the English commentary, Canal+ the French. 

#135 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,104 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:47

Did they release an actual full list of the launch countries?

#136 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 2,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:50

From the AMuS Live Ticker:

There was a press conference with the digital boss of Formula 1, Frank Arthofer

The digital boss of Formula 1, Frank Arthofer, has just given a press conference in Barcelona. The Californian confirmed that the German commentary should be taken over by RTL. At the start of the season in Australia should run at least the desktop variant of the streaming offer. The service for mobile devices via apps will then be introduced during the season. In total, 24 separate channels are to be sent simultaneously. Once the normal "World Feed" in 4 different languages. In addition 20 onboard channels. A channel for data. And two channels whose contents are not yet defined.

#137 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 818 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:52

I don't want to be judgemental but...unless you're in a poor country, I will never understand why people even discuss 10 bucks a month being "expensive". What the hell is it with people being so cheap when it comes to entertainment? I used to see the same with subscriptions to online games as well.

People get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of these things and yet consider even 10usd a month maybe too much. At the same people don't have any problem spending A LOT more on garbage like cigarettes or lattes. 

#138 Marklar

Marklar

• 29,812 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:01

I still dont get how they want to get the RTL commentary considering that they are all the time refering on the RTL commentary on upcoming ad breaks.

#139 Roadhouse

Roadhouse

• 410 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:02

I have Ziggo now but I would instantly buy a F1 TV subscription as it means I don't have to listen to Olav Mol, Jack Plooij and the rest of the Verstappen worshippers in the studio anymore.

I don't really care about them worshipping Max. Olav's 'off-point' commentary really bothers me though, can't trust anything he says.

edit: forgot about Jack Plooij (must've suppressed it) he's horrible.

Edited by Roadhouse, 28 February 2018 - 13:11.

Advertisement

#140 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:17

I don't want to be judgemental but...unless you're in a poor country, I will never understand why people even discuss 10 bucks a month being "expensive". What the hell is it with people being so cheap when it comes to entertainment? I used to see the same with subscriptions to online games as well.

People get hundreds of hours of entertainment out of these things and yet consider even 10usd a month maybe too much. At the same people don't have any problem spending A LOT more on garbage like cigarettes or lattes. 

On its own it's no big deal, but when many, like me, already have multiple subscriptions... Straw & camel you know?

#141 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,618 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:23

There is currently a press conference in Barcelona

Press conference with Liberty’s Arthofer on yesterday’s announcement about the F1 live streaming service
Arthofer says Liberty is working with their partners to prevent VPN issues in the countries where the service isn’t available
“We are trying to build an indispensable platform but for instance we are not looking to beat SkySports in terms of coverage
Arthofer says it’s a matter of time before the product reaches Scandinavia.
“The goal is to have historic content at the launch both in full and highlight formats”
“Online streaming is evolving so quickly. So building a stable product is a win”
“Having Portuguese Russian, Chinese, Arabic is a challenge. At some point you will be able to listen to events in these languages”

F1 is launching a revolutionary new streaming service, which will be ready in time for the Australian GP at the end of March. Full details to follow

VPN issues = users trying to bypass the geo block ?

It'll really suck if they are seriously going to invest plenty of resources in screwing those that are suck with their TV/Cable provider.

#142 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:42

VPN issues = users trying to bypass the geo block ?

It'll really suck if they are seriously going to invest plenty of resources in screwing those that are suck with their TV/Cable provider.

I think they are legally obliged to do so to ensure the exclusivity broadcasters have written down in their contracts.

The same with Netflix, Netflix itself didn't care about users using a VPN but it were the rights holders who threatened with legal action if Netflix didn't do more to protect against the use of VPNs etc.

#143 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:54

Did they release an actual full list of the launch countries?

Haven't seen one yet, the whole thing seems very rushed with most of the service not up and running until later in the year.

#144 mika911

mika911

• 605 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 13:07

Frank Arthofer di Liberty Media: la telecronaca in inglese di F1 TV sarà quella di Sky UK, quella francese sarà quella di Canal+. #F1Testing #F1 #BarcelonaTest #F1TV

Sky will do the English commentary, Canal+ the French. 

That is great news for English if true.  Once TV apps launch, pull up the world feed on it and never push another button, no ads, just set it and enjoy.  

I was scared it wouldn't be Sky and I'd have to go back and forth between ESPN and F1 TV service to avoid ads, because I want Sky now that the NBC guys are gone.  

#145 Kulturen

Kulturen

• 818 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 13:08

On its own it's no big deal, but when many, like me, already have multiple subscriptions... Straw & camel you know?

Yes of course and nothing wrong with not being able to afford something obviously, but many don't say that or even that it's not good value, they say it's outright too expensive.

#146 savvy2210

savvy2210

• 295 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 13:08

Looks like won't be available to me, but $8-12 a month is much much less than I expected. 

If F1 is not on my cable, I will not be seeing it. I will not pay on top of my cable bill.

#147 jAnO76

jAnO76

• 102 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 13:09

I don't really care about them worshipping Max. Olav's 'off-point' commentary really bothers me though, can't trust anything he says.

Exactly, I just mute commentary and watch a data-streeam for everything of interest  of screen.

#148 Lights

Lights

• 15,914 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 13:23

Great news that this is on its way. Long overdue.

I wonder what commentary options there will be.

#149 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 13:25

Yes of course and nothing wrong with not being able to afford something obviously, but many don't say that or even that it's not good value, they say it's outright too expensive.

Compared to NowTV that price is a bargain I gotta say!

#150 savvy2210

savvy2210

• 295 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 13:27

The word is " entertainment ". Or bang for the bucks, I don't smoke or drink Lattes. IMO you are being judgemental. If I don't think It's worth it that is my affair, mine only. I'll be damned if I give Liberty my money.