- - - - -

Future F1 Venues: Rumours & News

• Please log in to reply
1126 replies to this topic

#51 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,456 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 14:37

Another chance to try those amazing driver introductions again?

Edit: In Hanoi Miami of course!

Edited by f1paul, 01 March 2018 - 14:38.

Advertisement

#52 ThadGreen

ThadGreen

• 2,119 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 14:47

It's been tried, a couple of times.

Let me expand on my post. The tracks already exist. The series would be European based with initially European drivers. It could go all summer long with no provincial summer break. The cars would be less expensive, with normally aspirated 2.5/3 litre engines (V6 or V8) and simplified aerodynamics. I don't have the exact specifications however I feel sure thay can be compiled.

Of course it would need someone with drive and vision to make it happen and it won't be an overnight success however I believe it's possible. Then again I have always been a "half full" guy. :)

#53 aportinga

aportinga

• 8,386 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 14:53

Miami? Makes me think immediately of IMSA, CART, ALMS and more recently Formula E in various forms in the city.

Needs to be a night race. 

#54 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 5,498 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 16:43

Let me expand on my post. The tracks already exist. The series would be European based with initially European drivers. It could go all summer long with no provincial summer break. The cars would be less expensive, with normally aspirated 2.5/3 litre engines (V6 or V8) and simplified aerodynamics. I don't have the exact specifications however I feel sure thay can be compiled.

Of course it would need someone with drive and vision to make it happen and it won't be an overnight success however I believe it's possible. Then again I have always been a "half full" guy. :)

So basically the Formula 3 European series calender with faster cars? I’d support that. Especially now that F3 and GP3 will Mette and follow the F1 circus.

#55 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 16:44

Hate street races. They're cheaper than upgrading old race circuits, but wish they would do that anyhow. F1 at Laguna or Road Atlanta...

Are they? Upgrading an existing track will cost money, yes, but building up, and taking down street circuit facilities year in, year out is more expensive in the long run. And you don't hold F1 races on regular city streets' tarmac, either.

#56 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,543 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 16:58

You know I haven't been able to figure out why track owners in general pay out so much for the privilege of hosting an F1 race. The only compensation they receive is the revenues from those attending the race. It would seem that there is a blatant opportunity for some enterprising individual to start a series of more affordable open wheeled cars driven by former or aspiring F1 drivers.

And by the way you spelt Brands Hatch incorrectly. :)

It's because, Silverstone aside, they don't pay. They get the taxpayer to pay their sanctioning fee for them.

Take COTA for example. Without Texas taxpayers footing the bill, there is zero chance there would be a GP in Austin.

Edited by AustinF1, 01 March 2018 - 21:31.

#57 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,142 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 19:10

Losing Spa and Suzuka would be a travesty. Many would never forgive Liberty for that.

Its happened before.

#58 Spillage

Spillage

• 6,031 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 19:18

All for it, as long as we don't lose Spa and Monza for a race in Vietnam.

#59 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:50

This is what I was wondering. Who the hell do they have on staff that has a clue how to lay out a race track?

An old guy.  Retired after he finished his first career.  Then spent some time fishing.  He knows as much or even more than anyone in the paddock right now.

Advertisement

#60 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:53

Hate street races. They're cheaper than upgrading old race circuits, but wish they would do that anyhow. F1 at Laguna or Road Atlanta...

Yeah but the people that own, run and race Laguna aren't interested in "updating" it for F1.

#61 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,737 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:17

I maintain my opinion that while F1 should vary it’s calendar over the years and try new circuits and markets, the world championship should be going to locations that are contributing to world motorsports the most.

Buenos Aires? Yes. Long history of world championship races, top level drivers including one of the greatest world champions. Very worthy of a place on the calendar.

Miami? No F1 history to speak of, but a long tradition of racing. Nascar, Indycar and top level sports cars have raced in the area for decades. Also worthy.

What does Vietnam contribute to motor sport? What is the country’s top national racing series? Are there any drivers from there making a name for themselves on an international stage? Teams? Sponsors? Where’s the case for a world championship round?

Yet Finland still has not held a Grand Prix.

#62 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:49

Are they? Upgrading an existing track will cost money, yes, but building up, and taking down street circuit facilities year in, year out is more expensive in the long run. And you don't hold F1 races on regular city streets' tarmac, either.

Mmm. Not sure I buy that. Many old tracks would need such extensive work. Not just building a proper garage complex which most US tracks lack, but many have unacceptable features like say earth banks in just the wrong place... That sort of thing is either immensely expensive or impossible to correct.

#63 amedeofelix

amedeofelix

• 915 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:50

Yeah but the people that own, run and race Laguna aren't interested in "updating" it for F1.

Indeed. Kinda my point. No will to do usually equates to no money for.

#64 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,870 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:06

It's been tried, a couple of times.

All of those were single-make classes though. It seems F1 is one of the few constructors championships left in the world.

You mean the former WSR? ;) Also a single make chassis and engine.

#65 JeePee

JeePee

• 3,131 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:04

So they want to destroy the Salotto corner in Buenos Aires instead of using it. Stupid F1.

Of course. When you have the chance for a new unique corner in F1 what do you do? You butcher it. Make it a parking lot and draw two lines on it.

Perfect.

#66 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,410 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:08

Well, the good news is that literally nobody outside of this thread is suggesting that. As usual, the forum is adding 2 and 2 and getting "liberty are ruining the sport" instead of 4. 

Well it's a good job that I posted what I posted inside this thread rather than outside of this thread, isn't it ? 

#67 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:34

I maintain my opinion that while F1 should vary it’s calendar over the years and try new circuits and markets, the world championship should be going to locations that are contributing to world motorsports the most.

Buenos Aires? Yes. Long history of world championship races, top level drivers including one of the greatest world champions. Very worthy of a place on the calendar.

Miami? No F1 history to speak of, but a long tradition of racing. Nascar, Indycar and top level sports cars have raced in the area for decades. Also worthy.

What does Vietnam contribute to motor sport? What is the country’s top national racing series? Are there any drivers from there making a name for themselves on an international stage? Teams? Sponsors? Where’s the case for a world championship round?

Isn't this also what Liberty themselves were saying a year ago?

They were talking about focusing on the core market in Europe but we've heard nothing about them keeping a German race on the calendar and now we're seeing the same random locations that Bernie took us to that have no F1 fan base.

#68 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:54

Absolutely. :up: While keeping tracks F1-ready for two years per race instead of one would have some effects on the costs, a lot of these tracks are used every few weeks for various classes anyway.

Having perhaps 10 core races (Japan, Italy, Belgium, England, Monaco etc.) and 10 more from a pool of 20 locations would make each year more unique, and expand F1's reach without needing to 'leave' other places.

#69 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,142 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:33

Isn't this also what Liberty themselves were saying a year ago?

They were talking about focusing on the core market in Europe but we've heard nothing about them keeping a German race on the calendar and now we're seeing the same random locations that Bernie took us to that have no F1 fan base.

I took their statement to mean focusing on those circuits who are willing to pay the price. They are doing nothing different to Bernie, just following the money.

#70 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,870 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 13:02

Absolutely. :up: While keeping tracks F1-ready for two years per race instead of one would have some effects on the costs, a lot of these tracks are used every few weeks for various classes anyway.

Having perhaps 10 core races (Japan, Italy, Belgium, England, Monaco etc.) and 10 more from a pool of 20 locations would make each year more unique, and expand F1's reach without needing to 'leave' other places.

Those swap arrangements feel a bit like how the German GP went. In the end, unsustainable for both.

#71 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 29,081 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 13:08

Miami and Buenos Aires are great ideas, Hanoi maybe not so much. I note that F1 has lost its GP in Malaysia and has never managed to organize a round in Thailand. Still, let's see what they come out with.

#72 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 13:20

Those swap arrangements feel a bit like how the German GP went. In the end, unsustainable for both.

Right, although the situation with the Nürburgring is so dramatic - and at times hilarious - that it would make for a good summer-season film.

It's also somewhat specific in that these are two tracks in the same country, in neighbouring Länder, at a mere two hours drive from each other.

Perhaps something along the lines of Vietnam/Malaysia, France/Germany, New York/Miami, Argentina/Mexico would work better.

#73 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,865 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 13:27

I'm from Miami, so I would love to see a GP there. IIRC, the Miami CART/Indycar race used to run on a makeshift street course downtown near where the AAA is now. I never actually attended the race, though, so i don't know for sure. Somewhere in SW Miami would make more sense logisitically, for a street course. 

I will say that the FE race in Miami was dreadful. Awful sightlines from the main grandstand, and the track layout was garbage. I'd rather they ran at Sebring or Daytona. Maybe Homestead can have the infield converted ala Indy years ago. There's certainly enough money to attract the posh crowd, but only if it's in the city, as a street circuit. Not sure they're going to travel a long way with traffic being a nightmare. Putting a street circuit in the city also creates a nightmare traffic scenario.

I just don't see it. I suppose that Palisades circuit got the kibosh.

#74 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,737 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 13:59

But I don’t agree that biennial rotation is the way forward. Event should be annual. Event scan come and go based on their contract length, but having down time while still under control doesn’t work.

#75 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,543 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 16:03

An old guy.  Retired after he finished his first career.  Then spent some time fishing.  He knows as much or even more than anyone in the paddock right now.

About building tracks? I doubt there's anyone in the paddock or working for FOM who knows anything about building a track.

#76 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,543 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 16:09

Yep. They dropped MotoGP specifically because it wasn't worth the price tag.

#77 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 20:59

About building tracks? I doubt there's anyone in the paddock or working for FOM who knows anything about building a track.

You don't have to build them.  You have to know how to lay one out and predict how racey it will be.  It's not rocket surgery if you've been racing for a while.  Hellmund and Schwantz did a fantastic job and they weren't rack builder guys, just a couple of racers.  

Laguna exists for the pleasure of the locals and not primarily as a for profit track.  It's a county park on BLM land where the racing is controlled by a not for profit (the local SCCA region SCRAMP).  They do well hosting what they host with US$62.1 mil in economic impact with just over US$5 mil in tax revenue according to Cal State Monterey Bay.  SCRAMP isn't very good at the financial part of operating the facility and it almost cost them the gig.  At one point the county was talking to ISC.  The county is interested in some upgrades (and has expressed a willingness to pay for them) the big one being repaving because it is pretty rough.  OK, it's hammered.  There was also some talk about modernized restrooms and concessions.  They are noise limited and get 5 variances over the year IIRC.  The local NASA and SCCA clubs that run there have developed spec exhausts to comply with the regs, in many classes requiring an additional muffler.  The place is booked solid a year in advance.

EDIT:  They started the upgrades last year.  http://www.racer.com...way-laguna-seca

Edited by loki, 02 March 2018 - 21:03.

#78 f1paul

f1paul

• 7,456 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 21:10

Totally agree with this.

I think that F1 should even change the format of race weekends, just a bit, like the Ozzie Supercars do (that's starting this weekend BTW). 

Even if it's just a variation in how long a race or practice session is. Make some races an extra 50KM long or have a proper top 10 shootout (each car goes out one by one) on some circuits. Little things like that I think will improve the show. At the moment, every weekend has exactly the same format, even the media stuff and it all feels a bit robotic at times.

Anyway, that's for another topic. 

#79 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:33

like the Ozzie Supercars 

Ozzie?  Supercar?

Advertisement

#80 back86

back86

• 9 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:27

If they need new  race in the Southern Hemisphere I am sure the new bend motorsport park in South Australia  will be a good try I know it want to try to get a moto gp there one day 

#81 statman

statman

• 4,991 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 12:18

Liberty Media questionably green lights Vietnamese Grand Prix

Replying to @A_S12

A source keeping tabs on @F1's relatively clandestine efforts to bring a race to Miami as soon as next year tells @SBJSBD that the sides are "no longer (being) secretive" and now officially meeting with people. — Expect media coverage to pick up accordingly in the coming weeks.

+

DXSfpskWsAA_zIu.jpg

#82 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 13:43

I havent heard anything locally here in south florida about an F1 race in miami..but man i hope it is true. Would be awesome having formula 1 several miles from my house.

I wonder if the track will go from downtown to the beach..crossing biscayne bay over one of the causeways. Sure would offer quite the view for those watching on tv.

http://c8.alamy.com/...iami-G17BEA.jpg

#83 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 3,535 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 14:54

21+3=24 would be a lot of races. Are we going to lose some? Three current tracks not under contract for 2019 are Hockenheim, Spa and Suzuka.

Spa must be under threat again with the Dutch GP being planned as well.

#84 Pete_f1

Pete_f1

• 1,476 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 15:00

What happened to New Jer... I mean York?

#85 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 5,242 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 15:18

Right, and FIA drops the engine limit to 2 engine per season :rotfl: :clap:

... the goal has to be zero to reduce costs!

#86 zold

zold

• 306 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 16:26

I wonder why Liberty is pursuing a race in a country with no motorsport heritage?

#87 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 16:37

Same reason Bernie did the same. All that gubment money...

#88 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,011 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 17:09

#89 loki

loki

• 6,018 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 17:59

Same reason Bernie did the same. All that gubment money...

Not only that but like Heineken some of the other sponsors what to use it to tap into that market.  According to the link above they're already the number two brewer in a growing market.  These days car racing is a means to an end.  That end is selling things.

#90 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,069 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 18:10

As long as the tracks are good I don't care about the location.

#91 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 5,506 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 18:35

it makes sense for F1 to indeed go to Vietnam to please Heineken considering that they are investing a lot of their marketing budget on F1 right now, Liberty may fear that if they don't make a move to please Heineken that the sponsorship won't continue long term

Edited by William Hunt, 01 April 2018 - 18:35.

#92 Venom

Venom

• 75 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:50

I like the prospect of a race in Miami, especially if it's being based on Baku which is one of the most original tracks to have been introduced in the last decade. And unlike Baku also have a bit of atmosphere to go with it.

Don't have the same anticipation for Hanoi. I'd rather just have Malaysia back.

#93 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,214 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 10:55

I like the prospect of a race in Miami, especially if it's being based on Baku which is one of the most original tracks to have been introduced in the last decade. And unlike Baku also have a bit of atmosphere to go with it.

Don't have the same anticipation for Hanoi. I'd rather just have Malaysia back.

Yeah Baku is quite possibly the best street circuit I've ever watched racing on. Every F1 and F2 session is usually super entertaining.

#94 statman

statman

• 4,991 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:40

I havent heard anything locally here in south florida about an F1 race in miami..but man i hope it is true. Would be awesome having formula 1 several miles from my house.

I wonder if the track will go from downtown to the beach..crossing biscayne bay over one of the causeways. Sure would offer quite the view for those watching on tv.

http://c8.alamy.com/...iami-G17BEA.jpg

:up:

#95 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 14:14

Apparently the Miami race layout was made available to a select group of people...rumors are that the pits will be near the Miami Heat/NBA arena

aerial-view-american-airlines-arena-miam

american-airlines-arena-miami-august-aer

the track will go a bit through downtown on biscayne blvd and cross the bay into the port of Miami 

Port Bridge:

aerial-4k-view-miami-downtown-and-americ

Port of Miami

port-of-miami-pictures-1-2.jpg?type=w800

Edited by tokengator82, 09 April 2018 - 14:22.

#96 Borko

Borko

• 1,984 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 15:02

Reminds me so much of GTA Vice City :)

#97 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,004 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 15:12

heard  NOTHING  locally about having a race here in miami

hope it happens but

lots about beckhams football BS nothing about a f-1 race

four season is a ways south of downtown and the old sports car track location

indy cars ran in a park out by fla international U way outside the city of miami

anyone know who the promoter is

and where the funds are coming from ?

A a South Floridian i can back up these comments and would like to know the pertinent information asked as well.

If this race does end up on the calendar i would definately be attending. The trip out to Austin is a bit much cost wise. Would be nice to go watch a full GP and yet still go home at night lol

#98 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 964 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:25

Rumor has it Miami will join the 2019 calendar at the expense of Baku.

#99 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,276 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:49

Goooood god... I just finished living in Hanoi for 10 months. If F1 came to Hanoi I would make a point of getting out of there well before it. So as a huge F1 fan make of that what you will.

It would be absolute **** show - ABSOLUTE - and a boring ass track.

I kinda want to see it happen now for the lols. Trust me though.. don't attempt to go in person 😂

Advertisement

#100 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,737 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:52

Rumor has it Miami will join the 2019 calendar at the expense of Baku.

I could live with that if the layout is similar. One very long straight helps.