- - - - -

Future F1 Venues: Rumours & News

• Please log in to reply
1145 replies to this topic

#1101 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 19:22

The best possible track to entertain the paying public.
That’s what.
Jp

In the Northern Americas. That is true.

Advertisement

#1102 pdac

pdac

• 8,457 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 22:23

Lets name the continents:
Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia.

Africa and Antarctica do not host a Grand Prix in 2020.
Asia hosts 7 (including Russia and the Middle East), North America 3, South Amerika 1, Europe 10 and Australia 1.

Of all these continents, one can see that the Americas do not have as many Grands Prix as one would imagine. Europe, most likely, will have to give way to add a Grand Prix or two i the Americas (one more in the USA and one in Argentina). If Europe will lose one Grand Prix or more, is open for debate. But lets name the European Grands Prix and my reasiing it will stay or not:
Netherlands - The contract ink is yet to dry. Plus: Max Verstappen.
Spain - Just renewed its contract and has been a certainty since 20+ years.
Monaco - Its the first Grand Prix that is being written on the memo when compiling the calendar.
Azerbaijan - Still has a contract and it has showed why it has earned a place on the calendar.
France - Still has a contract. And lets face it, Paul Ricard was the first new Grand Prix to enter the calendar under Liberty. Removing Paul Ricard would be admitting it being a mistake.
Austria - Is Red Bull country, offers good racing and funding isnt an issue thanks to said Red Bull.
Great Britain - Second to be drafted on any calendar.
Hungary - Popular Grand Prix, yet ot that relevant anymore as it once was when it was the first Grand Prix hosted behind the iron curtain.
Belgium - Removing Spa would mean a job botched up by Liberty as its the spectators and drivers first choice. And: Max Verstappen.
Italy - As long as Ferrari is red, there will be an Italian Grand Prix.

Writing this, it does make me realize its not only Hungary, but Azerbaijan and Spain could very well be on the list to be scraped in the future also.

Lets face it. The tracks that will be in danger are the ones that are paying the least money - simple as that. If they want to grow revenue (which they do), then they need to have more tracks paying more money. They will keep Monaco, simply because it's Monaco. Everywhere else is disposable.

#1103 RA2

RA2

• 1,292 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 16:09

The best possible track to entertain the paying public.
That’s what.
Jp

If Indy had not stopped hosting F1 after 2007, it would have been the undisputed largest sporting venue in mortorsport.

Indy 500

Nascar 400

F1 USGP

Moto  GP

And they could have added a WEC round  too

#1104 BRG

BRG

• 17,197 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 20:02

Are those tracks upto the required standard? If not, do they want that expense, with a hefty fee to host on top?

Still cheaper than building completely new tracks round sports stadia, or rebuilding speedway infields tracks.  And provides a better final product.  

#1105 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 20:36

Still cheaper than building completely new tracks round sports stadia, or rebuilding speedway infields tracks.  And provides a better final product.  

The cost of it only makes sense if it's the sport paying for the work, but it's the circuit owners that have to bear the cost. I'm sure if those circuits had ever wanted the race then they would have already done the work.

#1106 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,739 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 15:38

Apparently Jerez will replace Barcelona in 2021

https://andaluciainf...ez-en-2021/amp/

#1107 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 15:39

Jerez is a good track if my memory serves me right. Or do I just romanticize it too much after 1997..?

Edited by Beri, 18 November 2019 - 15:39.

#1108 taz

taz

• 362 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 15:56

Jerez is a good track if my memory serves me right. Or do I just romanticize it too much after 1997..?

It's a bad track for overtaking, not much long straights

#1109 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 16:21

Okay, so my memory didn't serve me right.

#1110 BRG

BRG

• 17,197 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 16:32

It's a bad track for overtaking, not much long straights

So ideal for modern day F1 then....

#1111 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,739 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 16:42

Hopefully

"Either F1 remains here or there will be no Brazilian GP," Rohonyi told Motorsport.com.

"I make no comments about Rio de Janeiro that I do not know, but what I do know is that there is a land with trees and animals, and so far there remains a land with trees and animals.

"I think it is physically impossible for an international event to happen there in 2021. But there are people who don't agree with that.

"Rio became an option because of the president's support, and Bolsonaro had Chase Carey by his side when he said F1 was 99% back in Rio de Janeiro. Today he wouldn't say that."

https://www.motorspo...rlagos/4599574/

#1112 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 16:56

Yes please! One of my favourite tracks.

#1113 Francesc

Francesc

• 3,432 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 17:53

Yeah, cool layout, but even less overtaking posibilities than Barcelona. Only dry sack maybe. :p

Edited by Francesc, 18 November 2019 - 17:53.

#1114 Luca Pacchiarini

Luca Pacchiarini

• 677 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 18:26

Excellent track

Awful for modern F1

Excellent news

#1115 Marklar

Marklar

• 34,739 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 19:58

Along with Miami Dolphins, we are encouraged the County Commission sustained the Mayor’s Veto. As Miami Dolphins has done for all its events at Hard Rock Stadium, and as we have done in every city that hosts a race, we will continue to work with the Mayor and the community to make a Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix a huge success for all of Miami-Dade County; including the residents of Miami Gardens. We will work very hard to address community concerns in a meaningful way, mitigate any inconveniences or disruptions to local residents, and create an event we can all be proud of.

https://corp.formula...ami-grand-prix/

#1116 Anja

Anja

• 4,442 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 20:05

When F2 raced in Jerez a couple of years ago it wasn't very exciting so it's hard to imagine it will be any better in F1. But surely it can't be worse than Barcelona, right?

#1117 absinthedude

absinthedude

• 945 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 21:05

Jerez was never great but while Montmelo/Catalunya/Barcelona is a better design the teams know everything there is to know about that track....and it's best sections were emasculated in the 90s. I'd not be against going back to Jerez....it was, after all, better than Jarama and Barcelona hasn't given us many interesting races recently.

As for Rio/Interlagos, I firmly hope the race remains at Interlagos.  I would think that it the race were to move to Rio in time for 2021 they'd already have to have broken ground by now. For my money Interlagos is definitely in the top three F1 tracks today.

#1118 ANF

ANF

• 10,699 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 23:43

If you need to refresh your memory of Jerez, it hosted the Lamborghini World Final a couple of weeks ago:

#1119 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:44

Jerez was never great but while Montmelo/Catalunya/Barcelona is a better design the teams know everything there is to know about that track....and it's best sections were emasculated in the 90s. I'd not be against going back to Jerez....it was, after all, better than Jarama and Barcelona hasn't given us many interesting races recently.

I think you mean the 00s. In the 90s the only change was to get rid of the pointless and dangerous Nissan chicane.

Advertisement

#1120 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:53

As for Rio/Interlagos, I firmly hope the race remains at Interlagos.  I would think that it the race were to move to Rio in time for 2021 they'd already have to have broken ground by now. For my money Interlagos is definitely in the top three F1 tracks today.

Barcelona is a great track for spectators. Its facilities are just fantastic and the panoramic views you got on the track are next to unparalleled. Yet racing has been dull. The only exciting race the past years, was 2016 when Verstappen could hold off Raikkonen for the win. I cant say if Jerez is any better racing wise seen. There is one large straight where, during the 1997 race, history was made. And I remember of racing games of old, that Jerez was a nice track to drive. But I cant say Im in favor of a Grand Prix at Jerez or at Barcelona. I just care about a track thats good for racing. And Barcelona hasnt shown much in recent years.

As for your Brazil part of your reply, I fully agree. Interlagos should never leave the calendar. It is one of those tracks where something always happens and where racing is usually good. No matter the amounts of money involved. It should never be scrapped from the calendar.

Edited by Beri, 20 November 2019 - 09:55.

#1121 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 19:22

What they're planning for Jerez apparently:

https://www.reddit.c...on_the_f1_2021/

myk34fozh0041.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

I'm on board with the extended back straight into a relocated Dry Sack hairpin, but it looks like the redesign of Expo '92 has been done by the same guy who did turn 1 at Oschersleben. Clearly being taken into a dark room and beaten didn't phase him in the slightest.

#1122 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 19:35

I don't think the Dry Sack straight has been extended. It's the corner itself which is a lot pointier.
And I can't think of any reasoning why the first corner is bad. It's currently too much sweeping and fast. You can't overtake there.

#1123 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 19:46

I don't think the Dry Sack straight has been extended. It's the corner itself which is a lot pointier.
And I can't think of any reasoning why the first corner is bad. It's currently too much sweeping and fast. You can't overtake there.

You can see the original corner, runoff and wall underneath the new bit that's drawn on top.

The first corner is already quite a slow, third gear sort of thing. Why it needs to be a super tight hairpin is beyond me.

#1124 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 21:30

I see now. Thanks for the clarification.
Well, the super tight first corner at Bahrain works, doesn't it? It's a bit the same in this plan.

#1125 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 09:23

Well well. Kyalami seems to be on its way back onto the calendar. The refurbished track had its international debut earlier this week and there seems to be something brewing under the surface. Source is Dieter Rencken.

#1126 taz

taz

• 362 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:02

Well well. Kyalami seems to be on its way back onto the calendar. The refurbished track had its international debut earlier this week and there seems to be something brewing under the surface. Source is Dieter Rencken.

I've seen some pictures a while ago, it looks very nice. I hope it can return to the calendar

AXMUK9E.jpg

#1127 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 5,510 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:54

there were, 2 years ago, also some rumours of a potential street race in Cape Town, 1,5 ago the Kyalami owners said that there absolutely was no(t enough) finance available to carry the heavy cost of a F1 GP, off course things may have changed in the meantime
I'm not a big fan of the 'new Kyalami' (new since 1993 that is), although they did improve the layout in 2016 the '90s & current configuration are just not as quick as the track was in the period 1961-1987 and it's missing that epic track elevation on the original start-finish line, the old track with it's sweeping fast bends was a short circuit but much better to overtake as the current track

Edited by William Hunt, 30 November 2019 - 04:55.

#1128 loki

loki

• 6,029 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 00:26

Slight layout change for Vietnam.  It’s at the top to the series of turns between 13 and 22 that looks like a piece of pho.  Adding another turn to make 23 total.  Other than that same track.

https://www.motorspo...corner/4612112/

#1129 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:30

The entire Turns 13 to 22 sequence looks tedious. No esses should have more than 5 individual turns before a straight to break it up. See Maggots-Becketts-Chapel or Suzuka Esses-Dunlop.

#1130 Brackets

Brackets

• 4,259 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:18

The entire Turns 13 to 22 sequence looks tedious. No esses should have more than 5 individual turns before a straight to break it up. See Maggots-Becketts-Chapel or Suzuka Esses-Dunlop.

I disagree.

We all wet ourselves when Mexico was announced and that was BECAUSE it had eleventythirty corners in its esses (of course the actual resulting track was then ruined but that's another story). OK, also because of Peraltada, but I digress.

I might as well come out and say it: the Vietnam track is looking epic (on a track map - I reserve future and different judgement after seeing the real thing). In fact, I might just be lured into actually watching this one race.

#1131 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:34

I disagree.

We all wet ourselves when Mexico was announced and that was BECAUSE it had eleventythirty corners in its esses (of course the actual resulting track was then ruined but that's another story). OK, also because of Peraltada, but I digress.

I might as well come out and say it: the Vietnam track is looking epic (on a track map - I reserve future and different judgement after seeing the real thing). In fact, I might just be lured into actually watching this one race.

Count the esses in Mexico. It's five distinct corners, no more.

#1132 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,167 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:54

Slight layout change for Vietnam.  It’s at the top to the series of turns between 13 and 22 that looks like a piece of pho.  Adding another turn to make 23 total.  Other than that same track.

https://www.motorspo...corner/4612112/

As far as i can make out they havent actually added a turn, but just numbered the kink after T11. The top end of the track has changed though.

#1133 Brackets

Brackets

• 4,259 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:47

Count the esses in Mexico. It's five distinct corners, no more.

Are we going to be counting consecutive sweeping corners or are we going to be a bit silly about it and count only corners actually named 'E(s)ses'?

1280px-Aut%C3%B3dromo_Hermanos_Rodr%C3%A

#1134 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:49

Are we going to be counting consecutive sweeping corners or are we going to be a bit silly about it and count only corners actually named 'E(s)ses'?

That's the old layout, and yeah, the esses were excessive there.

I'm counting alternating direction corners where the racing line goes from apex to apex. You know, esses.

#1135 Brackets

Brackets

• 4,259 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 11:55

That's the old layout, and yeah, the esses were excessive there.

I'm counting alternating direction corners where the racing line goes from apex to apex. You know, esses.

Wait, now we're pretending I don't know what an 'S' is when I said previously that "[MEX has] eleventythirty corners in its esses"?

Of course you are still free to disagree that those 'excessive esses' were IMO one of the reasons everyone was looking forward to a return to Mexico. That we didn't eventually get back the old track is immaterial to the initial buzz.

#1136 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:33

Wait, now we're pretending I don't know what an 'S' is when I said previously that "[MEX has] eleventythirty corners in its esses"?

Of course you are still free to disagree that those 'excessive esses' were IMO one of the reasons everyone was looking forward to a return to Mexico. That we didn't eventually get back the old track is immaterial to the initial buzz.

Well you were the one asking how I'd define esses. Anyway, I'm saying that more than 5 is excessive, and I think the old layout in Mexico fits into that. I'm not going to generalise about why people were happy to have the track back. I think putting a straight between the hairpin and the esses was a good thing.

#1137 CSF

CSF

• 946 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:40

What they're planning for Jerez apparently:

https://www.reddit.c...on_the_f1_2021/

myk34fozh0041.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

I'm on board with the extended back straight into a relocated Dry Sack hairpin, but it looks like the redesign of Expo '92 has been done by the same guy who did turn 1 at Oschersleben. Clearly being taken into a dark room and beaten didn't phase him in the slightest.

I've just spied this. God help us all if Jerez returns, its far too narrow for the current generation to pass, just as it was during the 94 and 97 races. 

#1138 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:44

I've just spied this. God help us all if Jerez returns, its far too narrow for the current generation to pass, just as it was during the 94 and 97 races. 

Didn't stop Jacques Villeneuve back then. No idea if the current cars would be any good though. They're quite different to the 90s cars.

#1139 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:26

Kyalami has found its way on the 2020/2021 WEC Hypercars calendar with a 6hr race.
A rehearsal dinner to what is going to come for F1?

Advertisement

#1140 BRG

BRG

• 17,197 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32

Kyalami has found its way on the 2020/2021 WEC Hypercars calendar with a 6hr race.
A rehearsal dinner to what is going to come for F1?

A World Championship ought to include Africa and S. Africa is the obvious location.  It has the racing heritage and is the most developed country in sub-Saharan Africa.  But I am not sure that it' economy is currently strong enough to meet FOM's greedy demands.

#1141 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,809 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:42

A World Championship ought to include Africa and S. Africa is the obvious location.  It has the racing heritage and is the most developed country in sub-Saharan Africa.  But I am not sure that it' economy is currently strong enough to meet FOM's greedy demands.

They could always rename the track "Miami" and get a Grand Prix for free.

#1142 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:58

I cant see Zandvoort paying the high fees like Abu Dhabi is doing. It could be that Zandvoort does. But for now I am tempted to believe Liberty started off with variable fees. Venue X pays less because of reasons only to be understood by Liberty.
I can see this going south one day. But for now, it would be fine if Grands Prix like Kyalami, Argentina and Germany came back by paying a tempting fee.

#1143 Brackets

Brackets

• 4,259 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:04

I cant see Zandvoort paying the high fees like Abu Dhabi is doing. It could be that Zandvoort does. But for now I am tempted to believe Liberty started off with variable fees. Venue X pays less because of reasons only to be understood by Liberty.

That would be double-weird since Spa gets a discount when a Dutch GP is on the calendar.

#1144 Beri

Beri

• 1,970 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:10

Ive never said they would be paying cheap. But it is well known that Bahrain, China and Abu Dhabi are the venues that pay more than the more longstanding Grands Prix.
I can see the reasoning for Zandvoort of not having to pay full price. As having three Grands Prix (Austria, Spa and Zandvoort) being sold out completely due to one Dutchman is some hell of good advertising for Liberty.

#1145 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 15,138 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:06

At first glance, the Vietnam Esses to me seem exagerated. I'm also worried it'll be effectively an incredibly long no passing chincane where drivers go as slow as possible to save tyres. Looks can be decieving.

Jesus. Jerez? Just no. Perhaps circuit owners are struggling to think of other ways to go bankrupt while holding races at circuits entirely too tight even for proper DRS zones.

#1146 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,451 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:31

One year at Jerez, to save time, they decided to announce the spectators to the drivers.