- - - - -

Future F1 Venues: Rumours & News

• Please log in to reply
1145 replies to this topic

#101 Peat

Peat

• 4,583 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:54

Goooood god... I just finished living in Hanoi for 10 months. If F1 came to Hanoi I would make a point of getting out of there well before it. So as a huge F1 fan make of that what you will.

It would be absolute **** show - ABSOLUTE - and a boring ass track.

I kinda want to see it happen now for the lols. Trust me though.. don't attempt to go in person

I imagine traffic would play a pivotal role in the race. All those mopeds!

Advertisement

#102 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:54

Hanoi, Vietnam....

A F1 GP.....

Somehow I have the feeling that the local citizens of Hanoi and the citizens of Vietnam in particular would prefer the millions and millions spend on an F1 track project and everything else it costs to hold an F1 race being spend on more sensible projects that they have more benefits of.

Henri

Like finishing their God damn metro!

#103 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:56

I imagine traffic would play a pivotal role in the race. All those mopeds!

Actually traffic is no problem if you're on a scooter ;)
Just be careful of people going the wrong way across exit ramps at night with no headlights and it's all good.

I wonder what time of the year they have it planned for.

Edited by goldenboy, 01 May 2018 - 11:00.

#104 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:06

Rumor has it Miami will join the 2019 calendar at the expense of Baku.

While I look forward to a Miami race, I feel it would be a shame to get rid of Baku.

I would get rid of Socchi instead.

#105 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:08

While I look forward to a Miami race, I feel it would be a shame to get rid of Baku.

Damn, I didn't realise it may have been in place of Baku. That's one I actually want to make it to in person. Looks like a great city and would be affordable.

Edited by goldenboy, 01 May 2018 - 11:08.

#106 jals99

jals99

• 1,007 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:10

What a Rubbish -Baku had one of best races last year, fantastic GP2 races in 2016,and best race this year, 

#107 Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder

• 125 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:12

I could live with that if the layout is similar. One very long straight helps.

Yes. It forces the teams to run their low downforce spec which is a huge improvement on the show. You get cars which can follow closely, a huge slipstream opportunity, and they are difficult to control in the twistys due to lack of DF.

Anybody else getting bored of when they actually get the circuit itself right, the economics aren't right due to the ridiculous hosting fees and the track gets sacked off quickly.

Places like Russia and Abu Dhabi where the vanity project is more important than the quality of the track, we get stuck with long term.

I wonder what the economics actually look like as regards to money made from attendance vs t.v. audience (regardless of who profits).

My instinct would be that if they had a race like Baku 20 times a year, there are few people who wouldn't want to watch that.

Everyone at work has been coming up to me to talk about the race (knowing I'm the anorak). You might normally get one or two people mention who won.

Surely then it would be worth far more money as a whole than whatever they manage to charge Abu Dhabi where no one except the hard-core bother to watch.

Edited by Dutchrudder, 01 May 2018 - 11:20.

#108 ar1

ar1

• 191 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:34

Agreed Baku has been my favourite these last two years - lose one Sochi or Abu Dhabi before Baku

#109 Clatter

Clatter

• 36,169 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:38

Baku have a contract until 2020, so why do they think they will end it 2 years early? I've only seen reports that they havent extended the contract because of the deal they have been offered.

#110 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,111 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:24

I don't want to lose Baku neither. :( Rubbish location, fantastic (if a bit dangerous) circuit.

#111 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:32

I don't want to lose Baku neither. :( Rubbish location, fantastic (if a bit dangerous) circuit.

Why is it a rubbish Location? Genuine question. I only know friends from Belarus that have been there and said it was nice, but I know nothing else about it.

Edited by goldenboy, 01 May 2018 - 12:33.

#112 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 9,563 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:45

If you were to cut a race based purely on the country, Azerbaijan would probably be at the top of the list. There’s no real reason to have a Grand Prix in the country.

Baku has rapidly turned into the chaotic highlight of the season, which is great for the sport in that sense, just not located in the right place. I can’t imagine why it would leave the calendar before the contract is up - unless they can’t afford to pay FOM of course.

#113 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 10,895 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:48

It seems the fee for Baku is astronomical. But oil prices are rising again. ;)

It also could mean Baku bought new hospitality stuff and Miami gets the old. The comment was made during the race on Ziggo Sport where Plooij overheard Briatore and a few others in the paddock iirc.

#114 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,580 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 13:17

Weeeellll, that would suck. Love to see Miami added (and that will happen), but don't wanna lose Baku. :down:

Edited by AustinF1, 01 May 2018 - 17:10.

#115 Peat

Peat

• 4,583 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 13:21

If you were to cut the sanctioning fee for a race based purely on the spectacle it provides, Azerbaijan would probably be at the top of the list. 

FTFY

#116 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,802 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 14:29

If you were to cut a race based purely on the country, Azerbaijan would probably be at the top of the list. There’s no real reason to have a Grand Prix in the country.

Baku has rapidly turned into the chaotic highlight of the season, which is great for the sport in that sense, just not located in the right place. I can’t imagine why it would leave the calendar before the contract is up - unless they can’t afford to pay FOM of course.

I agree much with this. On a circuit I like Baku much more than Sochi. From another perspective, I though think that having a race is Russia makes much more sense than having one in Azerbaijan.

#117 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 5,501 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 14:52

I agree much with this. On a circuit I like Baku much more than Sochi. From another perspective, I though think that having a race is Russia makes much more sense than having one in Azerbaijan.

Great idea, I’ll call Putin to start the arrangements immidiately.

#118 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,214 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 15:00

I'd love to see Sochi gone, following soon after by Abu Dhabi. Both aren't suited for F1.

#119 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 15:06

Bangkok would be 1000 times more fun than Hanoi. Even saigon. I was always a bit disappointed that one never eventuated.

I'm living in Bali now and a race here would be ok with me 😂 but they wouldn't be able to do a street circuit. I remember rumblings of motogp here back in the day.

Don't mind me, just getting my wishlist on.

Advertisement

#120 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,004 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 15:11

Miami please .... that is all .. thank you ... I would take vacation from Wed to Friday and only have to worry about the ticket prices.

Make it happen ! :love: :love:

Yours Truly

A Fort Lauderdale resident.

#121 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 15:54

Miami probably isn't going to happen then if it is being used like that to put pressure on Baku to get them to sign a longer deal.

#122 loki

loki

• 6,030 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 17:06

This is a rumor from a lesser known site that that's repeating someone else's tweet.  I'll wait for someone like Joe's Award or Ted before giving it any credence.  They'll make Miami happen if they can Baku or not.  Long term growth depends more on the US market than Azerbaijan.  

Azerbaijan is a corrupt, authoritarian kleptocracy.  A few oligarchs control anything that's commercial on a large scale.Other than the sanctioning fee it's difficult to see how other commercial  ventures or promotions could happen.  

#123 statman

statman

• 5,004 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 11:58

Statement on the official F1 website:

Miami Grand Prix Proposal: Statement

If you recognize the name of big pusher Stephen Ross, owner of the Dolphins and real estate tycoon:

Donald+Trump+Stephen+Ross+25th+Great+Spo

Edited by statman, 02 May 2018 - 12:02.

#124 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 967 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:50

Statement on the official F1 website:

Miami Grand Prix Proposal: Statement

If you recognize the name of big pusher Stephen Ross, owner of the Dolphins and real estate tycoon:

"[..] if approved we hope at this stage that the inaugural race would take place in October 2019."

I wonder where that leaves COTA.

#125 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 3,361 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 13:31

Baku have a contract until 2020, so why do they think they will end it 2 years early? I've only seen reports that they havent extended the contract because of the deal they have been offered.

I presume Liberty would let Baku sell its part-fulfilled contract to Miami. Would never have happened under Ecclestone.

But yes, Sochi should really be the one to go, it's easily the worst circuit on the calendar.

#126 Goron3

Goron3

• 1,214 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 13:57

I would be gutted if we lost Baku. I was planning to go this year but had to cancel due to work commitments but I was definitely hoping to be there next year. It would be a shame as it's probably my favourite ever street circuit!

#127 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 14:05

"[..] if approved we hope at this stage that the inaugural race would take place in October 2019."

I wonder where that leaves COTA.

Why would they run this race in October in Florida? 

That is still a very active hurricane month for us. 

#128 MarkRaishbrook

MarkRaishbrook

• 57 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 14:20

Noooooooooooooo! That would be crazy. OK, pretty crap first (European) GP, but the last two years have been brilliant. If we need to dump a circuit to make way for Miami, it should be Sochi or Abu Dhabi.

#129 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 967 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 15:33

Ensures more time to prepare for the first race. New Grands Prix used to make their debut later in the year, with some of them later moving back in the calendar (e.g. Malaysia, China, Russia, Turkey). Also, it allows for a back-to-back race with Mexico and, if it stays, COTA.

#130 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 1,866 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 15:52

Miami please .... that is all .. thank you ... I would take vacation from Wed to Friday and only have to worry about the ticket prices.

Make it happen ! :love: :love:

Yours Truly

A Fort Lauderdale resident.

Sweet Jeebus, the traffic would be an absolute nightmare. where do they want to put it, on Ocean, going past the beach? Downtown by the arena, near that awful F-E circuit they built? South Beach in Ft. Lauderdale would be cool, with the straight running by the boardwalk, but it's all residentials. They should run at a track like Sebring TBH. Miami is so flat that sightlines are horrible. Traditionally fickle fans will go once, realize it's a terribly overpriced waste of time, and never go again. Maybe convert Homestead Airport Base into a dedicated road course, that still integrates some aspects of the runways.

Whatever, a Miami GP is going to be one of those forgettable mistakes. I'm interested in the Hanoi race. This year I plan on going to the Singapore GP for the first time. I'd be all-in on a Hanoi GP. Been to Ho Chi Minh twice. Interesting country. Hanoi has some hilly terrain, from what I understand. It could have some real potential for a circuit layout. If they cluster it with China and Oz next year, I might have to try taking in all 3.

#131 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 16:22

Sweet Jeebus, the traffic would be an absolute nightmare. where do they want to put it, on Ocean, going past the beach? Downtown by the arena, near that awful F-E circuit they built? South Beach in Ft. Lauderdale would be cool, with the straight running by the boardwalk, but it's all residentials. They should run at a track like Sebring TBH. Miami is so flat that sightlines are horrible. Traditionally fickle fans will go once, realize it's a terribly overpriced waste of time, and never go again. Maybe convert Homestead Airport Base into a dedicated road course, that still integrates some aspects of the runways.

Whatever, a Miami GP is going to be one of those forgettable mistakes. I'm interested in the Hanoi race. This year I plan on going to the Singapore GP for the first time. I'd be all-in on a Hanoi GP. Been to Ho Chi Minh twice. Interesting country. Hanoi has some hilly terrain, from what I understand. It could have some real potential for a circuit layout. If they cluster it with China and Oz next year, I might have to try taking in all 3.

I mentioned in a few pages back -- a friend of mine was present at one of the commission meetings and the proposed track layout was available to the people at the meeting (unfortunately they said no pictures).

He said the layout currently being proposed has sections along Biscayne, pit area will be near the miami heat arena, and it runs over the bay into the port of Miami 

#132 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 16:29

the hilly terrain is a long way from the city in Hanoi. It will be flat as a tack around boring roads and a few big lakes. Don't jump in them either 😂

But if you're talking about hilly terrain to visit outside of the GP you are definitely in for a treat at Sapa.

Edited by goldenboy, 02 May 2018 - 16:30.

#133 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,111 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 17:09

I mentioned in a few pages back -- a friend of mine was present at one of the commission meetings and the proposed track layout was available to the people at the meeting (unfortunately they said no pictures).

He said the layout currently being proposed has sections along Biscayne, pit area will be near the miami heat arena, and it runs over the bay into the port of Miami 

I've never been to Miami, but just looked up that area on Google Maps, and am completely puzzled on how would that work without severely disrupting local traffic, and with a coherent race-able layout.

Looks like a cool area though.

#134 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 17:19

I've never been to Miami, but just looked up that area on Google Maps, and am completely puzzled on how would that work without severely disrupting local traffic, and with a coherent race-able layout.

Disrupting local traffic is a given, but this area wouldn't be as bad it could be in other areas

american-airlines-arena-miami-august-aer

aerial-view-american-airlines-arena-miam

Bridge over Bay to port of Miami

aerial-4k-view-miami-downtown-and-americ

port-of-miami-pictures-1-2.jpg?type=w800

#135 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 17:59

I presume Liberty would let Baku sell its part-fulfilled contract to Miami. Would never have happened under Ecclestone.

But yes, Sochi should really be the one to go, it's easily the worst circuit on the calendar.

Why would Baku do that? As far as I know they aren't having any problems with paying the FOM track fees.

#136 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 3,273 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 18:10

What's the distance from the Heat arena to the Four Seasons Hotel? AMuS reported a few weeks ago that the track passes by this hotel.

#137 loki

loki

• 6,030 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 18:12

To put it on the Austin-Mexico swing.  They've said they want to bunch the fly aways together to streamline logistics.

#138 loki

loki

• 6,030 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 18:17

They'd do it like the other street races in the US (and Monaco).  The core of the area is closed for the weekend.  Prior to that it's open so in effect the locals drive on the track.  It's not too bad if it's over a weekend and in mostly a business/tourist area.   The real congestion will be getting in and out of the race on Sunday but that's no different than any other 100k plus attended event.

#139 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 19:41

What's the distance from the Heat arena to the Four Seasons Hotel? AMuS reported a few weeks ago that the track passes by this hotel.

about 2 miles, but the 4 seasons is on Brickel and right in the heart of DT miami 

Advertisement

#140 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 19:45

miami4seasons.png

#141 ray b

ray b

• 2,746 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 19:54

real high season is last two weeks in august and the first 2 weeks of September for bad hurricanes  in miami

that said the march imsa races were a washout the first year the track near the F-1 proposed  location flooded

and march is the middle of the  dry season here

#142 ray b

ray b

• 2,746 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 20:00

They'd do it like the other street races in the US (and Monaco).  The core of the area is closed for the weekend.  Prior to that it's open so in effect the locals drive on the track.  It's not too bad if it's over a weekend and in mostly a business/tourist area.   The real congestion will be getting in and out of the race on Sunday but that's no different than any other 100k plus attended event.

metro rail and the feeder metro-mover are close by both elevated over traffic

plus lots of parking unused on weekends  both at the stations and in downtown areas

#143 mmmcurry

mmmcurry

• 1,707 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 20:03

Didn't Silverstone activate their break clause to try and negotiate a better deal? Could this see them losing their slot to a new venue?

Steve.

#144 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 20:43

Do they need to remove any tracks from next season if Germany doesn't have a deal? That already creates a gap in the calendar.

The stated goal of Liberty media is to add a few more races to the calendar anyway, removing a race to make way for Miami doesn't fit in with that that goal.

#145 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 13,580 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 21:07

about 2 miles, but the 4 seasons is on Brickel and right in the heart of DT miami 

Hey buddy. You excited?!?!?

#146 thegforcemaybewithyou

thegforcemaybewithyou

• 3,273 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 21:10

So including a crossing over the bridge to the port the track would be 7km long. Let's see if the AMuS report is correct then, it seems unlikely to me.

#147 Osiris

Osiris

• 197 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 23:34

Just saw on ESPN news that F1 is going to have a race in Miami starting in 2019.

So it must be true....

#148 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 884 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 00:53

Hey buddy. You excited?!?!?

hell ya i am. I am hoping my buddy can get me the final track layout before it goes public so i can secure a hotel along the track route. I will share here as well if i get the info early

#149 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 6,318 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:49

COTA is a bit disappointing to me. Austin is one of the top 5 cities I want to visit but the race and track doesn't really inspire me enough to go.

Miami sounds cool.

#150 loki

loki

• 6,030 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:03

Didn't Silverstone activate their break clause to try and negotiate a better deal? Could this see them losing their slot to a new venue?

Steve.

39078870640_0b1182b902.jpg

The British GP will be there for a while.  At least until they can finagle a London street race...