Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

2018 Virigin Australia Supercars (V8 Supercars)

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,195 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 14:16

Agree. Race 1 was sensational. Even Race 2 was pretty good as well, it's just that the first race was that good that it out did it. 

Some controversy but some super racing as well - imagine if what happened in Race 1 happened in F1. This forum would never hear the end of it!  :rotfl:

I do think SVG got away with the wheel spin. There's no data to see if his foot was hard on the clutch or not. 

Anyway, it gave us an amazing ending and has set up a grand stand finish.  :up:

Advertisement

#102 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 305 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 16:25

The biggest downside with Supercars is the incredibly terrible officiating. Seriously, a 5 second penalty for shoving the leader out of the way and passing? That's not a deterrent at all, every driver in the field would take that deal in a heartbeat. At the absolute minimum it should have been swapping places + 5 seconds, and even that would be lenient...

#103 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,195 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 20:34

The biggest downside with Supercars is the incredibly terrible officiating. Seriously, a 5 second penalty for shoving the leader out of the way and passing? That's not a deterrent at all, every driver in the field would take that deal in a heartbeat. At the absolute minimum it should have been swapping places + 5 seconds, and even that would be lenient...

Well, it's even very rare that drivers get 5 second time penalties in the Supercars. They don't hand it out often.

The bump and run has been used before and drivers have got away with it so the SVG incident was a strange one. It kind of came out of nowhere because we are so used to seeing bumping and people getting away with it. He did deserve the penalty and for me, the 5 seconds was fine. 

In F1, 5 second penalties are useless because the field is spread apart but in the Supercars, 5 seconds is a lot of time. If It weren't for some mad driving at the end, he wouldn't have won.

#104 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,067 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 21:01

Loved the post race fun

https://www.supercar...default&paged=2

Edited by RacingGreen, 06 November 2018 - 21:02.

#105 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 305 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 21:05

Well, it's even very rare that drivers get 5 second time penalties in the Supercars. They don't hand it out often.

The bump and run has been used before and drivers have got away with it so the SVG incident was a strange one. It kind of came out of nowhere because we are so used to seeing bumping and people getting away with it. He did deserve the penalty and for me, the 5 seconds was fine. 

In F1, 5 second penalties are useless because the field is spread apart but in the Supercars, 5 seconds is a lot of time. If It weren't for some mad driving at the end, he wouldn't have won.

It's been Lowndes' signature move for 20 years, but this was extremely obvious. Lowndes gives them a bump coming off a corner so they can't accelerate, SVG just went in hard from the rear and shoved him off line.The point remains, you've found him guilty of an illegal pass, how can you not put him back behind? It's not even like there were a bunch of cars between them. 

Speaking of the 5 second penalty; while I'm in favour of it generally, there needs to be major changes. As it is now you get a PLP for tiny technical breaches (for instance swerving behind the safety car) and you get a 5 second penalty for hugely dangerous driving...

#106 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,195 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 21:06

Loved the post race fun

Russell Ingall and Mark Skaife both said they would have reversed and the smashed into the back of SVG's car or got out of the car and punched SVG.  :lol:

Mclaughlin was very calm all weekend - I was impressed with his temperament just as much as his driving.  :up:

#107 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,195 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 21:08

It's been Lowndes' signature move for 20 years, but this was extremely obvious. Lowndes gives them a bump coming off a corner so they can't accelerate, SVG just went in hard from the rear and shoved him off line.The point remains, you've found him guilty of an illegal pass, how can you not put him back behind? It's not even like there were a bunch of cars between them. 

Speaking of the 5 second penalty; while I'm in favour of it generally, there needs to be major changes. As it is now you get a PLP for tiny technical breaches (for instance swerving behind the safety car) and you get a 5 second penalty for hugely dangerous driving...

They used to have "the redress" in 2016 (I think it was) but they got rid of it after the Whincup/Mclaughlin/Tander Bathurst incident.

They should bring it back but any redress should take place on the start/finish straight and you have to get off the racing line - not like Whincup did at Bathurst. 

#108 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,067 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 21:10

Richie Stanaway would agree with you.

#109 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,067 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 21:39

Russell Ingall and Mark Skaife both said they would have reversed and the smashed into the back of SVG's car or got out of the car and punched SVG.  :lol:

Mclaughlin was very calm all weekend - I was impressed with his temperament just as much as his driving.  :up:

2016 = 3rd

2017 = 2nd

2018 = 1st ? - and should finish 1st as long as he stays focused on the championship and doesn't go round punching people 

#110 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 305 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 23:09

They used to have "the redress" in 2016 (I think it was) but they got rid of it after the Whincup/Mclaughlin/Tander Bathurst incident.

They should bring it back but any redress should take place on the start/finish straight and you have to get off the racing line - not like Whincup did at Bathurst. 

That's a different thing. Redress is when the driver swaps back on his own in order to avoid a penalty. In this case the stewards should clearly have ordered SVG to move back behind McLaughlin as part of his penalty.

BTW, I strongly disagree McLaughlin is the favourite. He's basically racing one against three (Coulthard has been absolutely useless this year), and on the tight street circuit at Newcastle Red Bull will find some way to hobble him.

#111 DS27

DS27

• 2,999 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 15:18

Supercars is like a lost love for me, since it hasn't been available to watch live in the UK. It was more or less my favourite series.

Like all things, you stop caring so much if you are not following closely, but I still really hope Scotty can win this year. SVG is such an a*se.

#112 DS27

DS27

• 2,999 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 22:21

Well, this is old news now, but I have only just found out Scotty won the championship after what sounds like a rather controversial final weekend.

Fantastic, and well deserved. Scotty, I will raise a glass to you this weekend.