- - - - -

Racing on the Mac

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 19:01

After a brief pause in my racing game life (last utterly addicted to GPL which I probably played until about 2005) I've now got a bit of time and space to play properly again. In that time I've progressed from a PC to a Mac which has kind of limited my choice of games, although I have recently realised I can connect a PS3 controller to my MacBook Pro which was a pleasant surprise.

So my question is ... does anyone have any suggestions for Mac racing games?

GRID 2 has been good fun and I'm just downloading DIRT Rally (30GB!!)

Advertisement

#2 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 21:00

Dirt rally is awesome rally game/simulator, but I guess it will be nightmare with ps3 controller.

#3 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,690 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 14:07

Buy a console.

#4 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,896 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 22:03

I'm curious about DIRT Rally, so any feedback would be most welcome.

The last racing game I played a lot on the Mac was Nascar Racing 2003, thanks to the multiple mods available. Sadly, the original game is no longer compatible with the current version of MacOS, so I've had to abandon it a few years ago...

Dirt rally is awesome rally game/simulator, but I guess it will be nightmare with ps3 controller.

Last time I checked, it was compatible with a number of wheels: https://support.fera...ly/faqs/wheels/

#5 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 22:48

Last time I checked, it was compatible with a number of wheels: https://support.fera...ly/faqs/wheels/

Good, if Peter Perfect has wheel for it. I did spot him mentioning PS3 controller. Time when Dirt Rally was released it was said being very nightmare to drive with gamepads. Those who had wheel loved it, those who didn't...ditched the game as impossible.

#6 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 19:01

Good, if Peter Perfect has wheel for it. I did spot him mentioning PS3 controller. Time when Dirt Rally was released it was said being very nightmare to drive with gamepads. Those who had wheel loved it, those who didn't...ditched the game as impossible.

After a bit of playing about with steam I got the ps3 controller (no wheel...yet) working with dirt rally....which is excellent! :-D Now, I admit it's challenging but as I do most of my steering with the brake/throttle I've got enough control to be competitive. My only criticism so far is the AI in rallycross who seem to be made out of concrete, they can nudge me out of races but I can't shift them off the racing line.

#7 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 725 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:14

Try out RaceRoom on Steam. Lots of cars, lots of tracks, multiplayer. And PM me if you do so that we can race.