- - - - -

F1 2018

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,716 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 17:49

In real world, thanks to our eyes' ability, drivers can look at front with no significant distractions from the Halo device.

In video games, it is different because it is an image not an object so with Halo in videos games (Which we have seen several Mods already), the front part of the Halo is gonna block gamers' vision. I wonder what Codemasters are gonna do?

Edited by RainyAfterlifeDaylight, 13 March 2018 - 21:07.

Advertisement

#2 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 18:57

I hope they have Halo like real F1 has. Disagreers could go play Mario Kart.

#3 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 19:02

You can change your FOV so it might be ok. I only race in cockpit view in the F1 games but I don't think it will be that bad.

#4 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 19:50

Don't most players use T-cam anyway?

#5 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 20:02

My guess would be an option where you can remove it.

#6 RainyAfterlifeDaylight

RainyAfterlifeDaylight

• 4,716 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 21:04

No way. FIA and Formula1 wouldn't allow that.

Edited by RainyAfterlifeDaylight, 13 March 2018 - 21:05.

#7 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 22:33

No way. FIA and Formula1 wouldn't allow that.

As previously stated, on a computer the image is 2D and obscures the view from cockpit view which does not occur to the same degree from a 3D view in real life.

At the very least i imagine users will be able to tweak how visible the halo is to them from cockpit view much like how users can currently lift the seat height so they can see the apex more clearly.

To be perfectly blunt about it, you can practically lift the seat height so high on this version that you would probably be sat on top of the halo.

Options will be present to maximize sales.

#8 chunder27

chunder27

• 5,775 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 23:30

In any game if you are playing the game in car there are massive restrictions on vision. Especially if you only use one screen, or don't use twitch left or right as quick look buttons.

This will gradually become less of an issue once VR becomes the norm of course.

I remember a Corvette in one game where the roll bar was literally right in front of your face in car, so much so a mod was released to get rid of it, accurate to the model yes, but rather unfortunate.

I would expect the F1 game to include the HALO obviously, you will get used to it as the F1 drivers will

#9 Kerny1992

Kerny1992

• 63 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 19:19

How i wish we had this option in real life.....

#10 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 17:23

As others have stated, the central spar of the Halo isn't an issue in VR as you still have normal binocular vision, and your brain processes out the obstruction. However, the triangular section and hoop do prove to be a bit of a problem, even in a VR headset. However, on a 2D screen, it's much more problematic. There are plenty of videos on Youtube of Ferrari SF17s clad with Halo in Assetto Corsa if you want to get a flavour of how it would look.

I imagine Codemasters will make the Halo semi-transparent, to simulate how the brain processes a part occluded image. If it remains fully translucent, then the experience will be pretty poor. 

#11 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,570 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:48

The compromise seems to be the case: an option for a partial removal.

The real problem for Codemasters and new F1 is if people will remove the game from their shopping list regardless the solution.

I understand that for 2018 the halo has to be there in some form. The simulation has to be based to real life after all. For those who can stand the thing, I allow it to them. I too prefer to get proper simulations. But there has to be a more beautiful experience and idea of racing. After careful inspection, I have chosen a road with legacy/historic racing pre 2018 and other series. Other games.

Edited by Man of the race, 17 June 2018 - 08:59.

#12 LBDN

LBDN

• 799 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 11:12

Well interestingly on the cockpit video i first saw where it was removed i actually initially thought the centre piece was included but it actually turned out it was the thin aerial in front of the driver instead.

It sort of made sense at first that the middle bit was barely visible because drivers mention that due to the 3d nature of the way the eyes look at things you dont notice the middle part of the halo much.

Where as when i saw the halo part added on the game, being 2d its seems more visible than it would be in real life

So in summary, its probably a more realistic view by turning it off

Edited by LBDN, 17 June 2018 - 11:13.

#13 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 22:18

I've tried the halo a bit in Assetto Corsa - as a mod on the Ferrari SF70H and part of the default setup of the RSS Formula Hybrid 2018 pay mod.

I confess it wasn't as bad as I expected (I'm playing in VR) but I did end up turning it off in both cases, authenticity be damned.

#14 RPM40

RPM40

• 13,832 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 21:21

I don't see the need for the halo. They don't force people to wear helmets in the video games which give a very narrow field of vision.

#15 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 15:21

Pretty excited about the supposedly more realistic suspension model.

#16 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:37

Still easier than racing cockpit view in an lmp1. It does not really obstruct your vision, you shouldn’t be focusing on it anyway.

#17 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,111 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:23

They should artificially narrow the width of the strut of the halo that blocks the forward view to compensate for the fact that you aren't really there with 2 sensors (eyes) and a head mounted on a neck to move those sensors either side of the blockage.

#18 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,947 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 15:01

I see the latest "feature" for this year is the reintroduction of the media aspect...something I recall being a part of the game in 2010! 

Grown kinda tired of forking out for what is essentially the same game year after year, a plague that affects majority of sports games. Just what's the point of buying it year after year, when you're racing at the same tracks etc? 

#19 Eau Red

Eau Red

• 503 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 15:03

Scroll halfway down in this article to see the gameplay videos.  It looks like there's an option to turn off the central vertical bar of the halo.  

https://www.racefans...formula-1-game/

Advertisement

#20 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 16:41

I've driven with the halo in other sims and it's not distracting at all if you have experience with closed cockpit cars like LM prototypes. Your eyes focus elsewhere anyway (searching for braking point references, or looking into the apex while cornering), It is barely noticable after a couple of laps.

#21 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 22:15

There's a bunch more classic cars too, if that's more your thing:

#22 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,070 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 21:35

Pretty excited about the supposedly more realistic suspension model.

And now even more excited. This sounds very good.

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:30

I’ve put in a pre-order. I haven’t actually played an F1 game since F1 2013 so I reckon I’ll be well looked after with this one.

#24 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 14:03

I pre-ordered it too. Last year's game was pretty good already and it looks like they are heading further in the right direction. The only feature I really miss is the virtual mirror. If I set a more realistic field of view, I can't see the mirrors at all, unless I constantly glance left and right with the buttons, which can be a bit distracting.

#25 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:02

I'll be getting this for sure, the new handling model sounds interesting.

#26 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:43

I only play the career mode and I love the way the career mode updates sound in F1 2018  ..however..

F1 2018 will be only the 2nd game I won't buy since F1 2010 (I missed F1 2015 as there was no career mode!)

and yes, I am not buying this purely because of the halo and yes I am fully aware you can hide the central column but not the rest of it.  But no its a utter deal breaker for me as I only race in cockpit view and having seen videos, it was a "F*** no, no way"  and I'll give it a miss.

That said, I'm aware that codemasters losing one sale isn't going to bankrupt them but I'll stick to F1 2017.

#27 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 16:54

Jimmy Broadbent's first impressions seem generally good.

Video shows the halo without the central pillar, which seems like a good compromise.

#28 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 13:31

I don't wish to seem mean but it's easy to say "this is a great improvement" when you get a free copy thrown at you.   I would value any reviews opinion far far more if they used their hard earned rather than getting free copies.   (and no, I'm not just being selfish or jealous that I don't get a free one. I honestly believe they would be more honest after shelling out their own money and that goes for any game reviews not just F1)

#29 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,958 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 15:17

I don't wish to seem mean but it's easy to say "this is a great improvement" when you get a free copy thrown at you.   I would value any reviews opinion far far more if they used their hard earned rather than getting free copies.   (and no, I'm not just being selfish or jealous that I don't get a free one. I honestly believe they would be more honest after shelling out their own money and that goes for any game reviews not just F1)

When the people writing/talking about it, generally is positive etc. I agree, but you do (or at least did) have certain Youtube gamers who got games for free but were completely honest about them.

Not sure JB is one of them though, VVV is not - that's for sure.

#30 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 17:06

I’ve generally found JB to be a fair critic of racing games and sims. Of course, he’s actually playing the game in real time, and has streams going up too. So you can see for yourself what he’s talking about. It’s not some edited, all the good bits type thing.

#31 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 13:21

I personally have lost faith in Codemasters to produce a good F1 game now, I mean having the samn damn wet track 'black shadows' bug in the last three PS4 games is really not acceptable to me.

Here is a video showing it and it mainly happens at Interlagos and Silverstone but it's been in F1 2015/16/17 and I'm willing to bet it's also in 18.

What I'd give to have Geoff Crammond come back and make a new F1 game.  :kiss:

#32 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,958 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 20:44

He said that he felt he had unfinished business... but with the F1 license being exclusive, and him being out of it for so long, I think we'll just have to do with GP3 and GP4.

#33 Ijsman

Ijsman

• 1,070 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 20:14

I personally have lost faith in Codemasters to produce a good F1 game now, I mean having the samn damn wet track 'black shadows' bug in the last three PS4 games is really not acceptable to me.

Here is a video showing it and it mainly happens at Interlagos and Silverstone but it's been in F1 2015/16/17 and I'm willing to bet it's also in 18.

Just did Brazil in light rain (PS4), no black shadows or anything.  :clap:

#34 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 21:57

My copy is on its way, so hopefully I can have a first taste tomorrow. :up:

#35 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:59

Had a chuckle about this yesterday, a friend of mine got it in the mail a day early and apparently at the start you have to agree to an eula, he read it and he said there's a part where it says they log your gameplay, time played, decisions made in the game etc etc and he clicked decline so it dumped him back to the menu.   It won't let him play lol, anyway now he's trying to get a refund.  (I said since you've opened the box you've utterly zero chance mate but he said how could he read the eula without opening the box)

Either way I found the whole thing rather amusing and a bit silly.

#36 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:51

I’m sure it’s available to read on codies website or something. He must be the only person on earth who actually reads those things anyway.

#37 benn5325

benn5325

• 1,677 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:40

Had a quick 20 mins with it this morning before work, so far, so good :up: Did a handful of laps in Melbourne in a Wiliams

Not quite sure how to work the ERS.

Not enough time to see how the new tire temps work out, but car seems very stable.

Bit more polished than F1 2017, graphics look good..

Had the very first offering from Codies and hated it, only got last years not this one.

Will give it a good run over the weekend..

#38 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 14:07

I’m sure it’s available to read on codies website or something. He must be the only person on earth who actually reads those things anyway.

Not quite I read them too lol, but yeah I think 99% of people don't. (I would find it hilarious if some company put something really silly in theirs like "We will turn up on your doorstep weekly and take your washing".   just to see how many just accept it.  lol)

#39 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,509 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 15:03

It has happened!

Advertisement

#40 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 15:36

Well I look forward to having a play about tomorrow when I get home.

#41 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 17:57

Giving it a try right now. I still have to play around with some of the control schemes but I think I got the rest of the settings down to my liking. I’ll post the setting changes I made, I’m playing on a G29 btw.

Audio
Master volume 10, it’s too low as default. I'll probably change it again when I try with headphones on though. The engineer's voice through the DS4 controller is super loud.

Camera (cockpit)
FIeld of view .50, you cannot see the mirrors with default settings. Any higher and I find it starts to look weird. For me this setting is a good compromise.

Offset: Vertical .15, just so I can see out the front a little better.

Mirror angle .10, so I see a little less body work and more of whats behind me.

G29 vibration and Force feedback
On track effects: 25
Rumble strip effects: 30
Off track effects: 30

I turned these way down because it makes my wheel rattle around too much. The G29 isn't very powerful compared to the more high end wheels so it's constantly clipping with default settings, I'll probably change this again in the future. Everything else is default. I will add my control scheme later on.

Edit: All of the other stuff is default, but here are my changes for the G29

Next camera: R3
Replay/flashback: R2
Drs: Triangle
Pit limiter: X
Push to talk: Button inside of red dial

MFD shortcuts:

Fuel mix incrase/decrease: the +/- buttons
Brake bias increase/decrease: the red dial
ERS mode increase decrease: L2/L3

Clutch and manual clutch are both mapped to my clutch pedal, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Started my career with Haas. I only had time for about 8 laps in an FP1 session so far, but my first impressions are the game looks great and sound has improved. The handling doesn't feel all that different, but the Haas car feels nice. Overall, It's just an evolution of the 2017 game but in spite of that, it's still really good.

As fir the halo column, it doesn't bother me in cockpit view, it blocks your view of a car when it's several hundred meters ahead but that's about it, no big deal.

Edited by MikeV1987, 24 August 2018 - 19:20.

#42 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 21:54

I’m sure some of those settings will be useful to me, even though I’m only going to have my xbone controller.

#43 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 27,509 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 14:02

Had it delivered yesterday, but had to hand over to Mrs Gareth for wrapping and won't be unleashed on it until my birthday ...

It's my first Codemasters F1 game. Not done any real sim racing since the Crammond days, mostly at the minute just prat about on Forza Horizons keeping the racing line that pleasing shade of yellow that means you're just on the edge, smashing into stuff with abandon, using an auto box and rarely braking. That's to give you an idea of my low, low standard.

Any tips for a complete n00b like me greatly appreciated!

I shall be using an X-box One controller, like PayasYouRace (I assume that was what he was referring to, rather than a high-tech erection ... :D ).

#44 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 14:55

Yeah that’s what I’m using. Lol

Had a go this morning. Only really got a chance to do a few time trials to check out the feel of the cars and a couple of circuits. Tried out a few of the 70s cars.

Overall first impressions are good. Haven’t needed to fiddle with any setting yet apart from a couple of personal preferences: racing line and such. Racing on Professional settings to give myself some TC with the controller.

So far found the handling to feel really solid. Game looks great too.

Will let you know what I think in a few days once I’ve given it a fairer play.

#45 balage06

balage06

• 3,107 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:51

I'm playing with a Thrustmaster T300RS wheel and I'm satisfied with the handling so far. :up: Finally, the suspension movements are simulated, the force feedback is much more detailed than last year.

Edited by balage06, 26 August 2018 - 09:51.

#46 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 19:58

Had a go in the 1995 Ferrari this morning. That gave me a real kick in the nostalgia glands. I swear the cockpit shape is spot on for Microprose Grand Prix 2.

#47 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 18:34

Restarted my career with McLaren, the car is good but the engine sucks. Going for power upgrades right away seems like the best strategy. I have only done Australia so far. Did all the practice programs, full qualifying and the race (25%) and the part wear isn't great.

ICE: 22%

MGU-K: 11%

MGU-H: 15%

ES: 10%

TC: 14%

CE: 11%

Practice GB: 10%

Race GB: 16%

Edited by MikeV1987, 31 August 2018 - 18:52.

#48 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,240 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:18

Been playing my career mode. Williams, 25% races and short qualy. I started at 75% AI. After 3 races bumped it up to 85%. Just finished with Barcelona. Have generally been about the lower half of the top ten. Gearbox broke in Barcelona qualy in mixed conditions so started at the back. Most of my PU is getting pretty worn now so look forward to dealing with that.

So overall I’m really enjoying it. The practise programmes really work for putting in laps and practicing while getting useful developments points out of it. When driving, I get a sense of how busy an F1 driver is in the cockpit. Be it adjusting ERS or fuel mixture or just getting the radio messages out. The development system is easy to understand. The interviews are a fun addition too.

Outside career mode the event mode is a welcome diversion. Haven’t tried multiplayer yet though.

I can’t really comment over how much the game has improved (or not) over 2017, but it’s well worth it for me having not played any Codies F1 since 2013. My only real disappointment is that the classic events are a bit silly. I got a lot out of 2013’s classic tracks and enjoyed having the original drivers to race against. But I understand it’s difficult to get them licenced. But I think with such an engrossing career mode this time I don’t think it’ll be too much of a problem.

ETA: And I’ve just noticed the huge selection of championships in championship mode with various weekend formats. That’ll keep me busy for years.

#49 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 969 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:47

I love 2017 so looking forward to 2018.

#50 messy

messy

• 7,491 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:46

I need to actually attempt a 2017 career before trying 2018 I think!! It does sound good, though.