Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Daniel Ricciardo VS Max Verstappen 2018

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4258 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (409 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win the battle in the WDC standings?

1. Daniel Ricciardo (236 votes [57.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 57.70%

2. Max Verstappen (151 votes [36.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.92%

3. I do not know (22 votes [5.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.38%

Who will win the battle in the Q ranking?

1. Daniel Ricciardo (95 votes [23.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.23%

2. Max Verstappen (274 votes [66.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.99%

3. I do not know (40 votes [9.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.78%

Will 1 of the 2 become champion WDC?

1. No (293 votes [71.64%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 71.64%

2. Yes, Daniel Ricciardo (49 votes [11.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.98%

3. Yes, Max Verstappen (47 votes [11.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.49%

4. Yes, but I do not know who. (20 votes [4.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.89%

Vote

#1 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 4,062 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:25

The battle of the year according to many "experts"

How will it end?

daniel-ricciardo-max-verstappen-759.jpg

Or;

3l9c8tjk3f2z.jpg

I do not have much to add except a lot of success, a lot of fun and stay civil.

:wave:

Advertisement

#2 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:31

Max²/no. ;)

With the current PU-regs, I don't see Merc losing any championship.

#3 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,180 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:43

Ah, yes. My favourite thread.

giphy.gif 

#4 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:01

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#5 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:16

Voted Max two times, but I expect a highly motivated Ricciardo, if reliability issues will be equal for both I expect a close battle. 4 more days, looking forward to it.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 19 March 2018 - 12:29.

#6 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:17

Dan:

https://www.theguard...ebastian-vettel

Trust the car, trust the brakes, just go. It is a calculated but fearless approach – I am going to try and if it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. I will be happier if I crash by trying than not trying and running around behind the same guy for 70 laps

Max:

https://www.theguard...f-drive-fast-f1

I never even think of the mental side of things because I never had any issues. If you are a bit weak in your head maybe you can train your mind but it will never be your strong point. Many people ask: ‘What do you need mentally to succeed in F1?’ I say: ‘What do you mean mentally?’ I just enjoy it and drive as fast I can. But so many people think your psychology is such a massive thing. For me, it’s not necessary.

Edited by Kao18, 19 March 2018 - 11:21.

#7 SBR

SBR

• 332 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:40

Ah my favorite thread is back! Let's hope we have a competitive car this year and can enjoy this season!
I wanted to say let's keep it civil, but we all know that will be out of the window after page 5 hehe.

#8 Freeze011

Freeze011

• 1,349 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:49

I do not know x2

and a no for the championship.

#9 Arundo

Arundo

• 2,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:03

As the two last seasons it will be very close again, voted Max for both (mix of hope and his last season :rotfl: ) 

#10 JoeDede

JoeDede

• 566 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:03

If they share equally the problems with the car this year....MAX MAX

The smile will disappear from Ricciardo's face very fast I'm afraid. I really like him, but he is up against the best 'talent' in F1. There will be a lot of tension this year and RIC wants a new contract and all. No way they will stay on frendly terms.

#11 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:14

Ah my favorite thread is back! Let's hope we have a competitive car this year and can enjoy this season!
I wanted to say let's keep it civil, but we all know that will be out of the window after page 5 hehe.

Page 5? Opportunist. :p

#12 Kerny1992

Kerny1992

• 63 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:32

Ricciardo is saying words of desperation, he knows last year he was outperformed by Verstappen in every department.

#13 Shakengandulf

Shakengandulf

• 145 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:36

seems I'm optimistic.
RIC.

#14 geralt

geralt

• 1,586 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:41

Really hoping this season reliability won't be an issue so comparisons between these two will be more straightforward

#15 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:42

Really hoping this season reliability won't be an issue so comparisons between these two will be more straightforward

Renault and 3 engines for the season. Come on.  :lol:

#16 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 13:03

Ricciardo is saying words of desperation, he knows last year he was outperformed by Verstappen in every department.

Except points of course...

#17 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 13:07

Currently 53% - 36% (with 10% don't knows) to Max on here and on SkyF1, with no don't know option it's closer at 52% to 48%. Bookies have the title at around 8/1 for Max and 9/1 for Dan. 

It's good to see that the general consensus meets my expectation that this battle is likely to be far closer than one or two extreme comments would like us to beleive.   ;)

#18 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 13:16

Currently 53% - 36% (with 10% don't knows) to Max on here and on SkyF1, with no don't know option it's closer at 52% to 48%. Bookies have the title at around 8/1 for Max and 9/1 for Dan. 

It's good to see that the general consensus meets my expectation that this battle is likely to be far closer than one or two extreme comments would like us to beleive.   ;)

Bookies have been wrong in the past though ;). The people on Sky are likely following the battle less intensely than some people do here, so they might lack some insight. 

In the end, we should dig up these kind of posts at the end of the year and evaluate. Right now it's crystal ball work... nevertheless, I would be very surprised if my crystal ball doesn't work :p

#19 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 13:18

Voted quali for Max and race for Dan, will be rooting for Ricciardo. I expect this will be his last season for RB, hope we will see him in red in 2019.

Advertisement

#20 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 13:27

Expecting Max to shine a little brighter, although probably so close that could go either way.

#21 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 13:56

Voted quali for Max and race for Dan, will be rooting for Ricciardo. I expect this will be his last season for RB, hope we will see him in red in 2019.

I am going to say the opposite. Quali for Dan, race for Max.

#22 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:05

Autosport predicts P2 for Max in championship and P5 for Ricciardo in the 2018 Drivers championship.

#23 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,960 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:07

Crucial year coming up for the both of them. Last year Max went up and over in the qualifying battle, and whilst the racing was often close and both suffered more than their fair share of unreliability misfortune, Daniel just edged it in the WDC table.

With Daniel's future up in the air and seats available for him in all three top teams the start of this season is make or break for him. Max will want to stamp his authority on this team mate battle now and for once not only win the popular vote but also the actual points table.

The team seems more confident than in previous years and there seems to be a great mutual respect between the two contenders, so let's hope we're in for a good and fair fight with many podiums and may the best man win.

#24 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:32

Autosport predicts P2 for Max in championship and P5 for Ricciardo in the 2018 Drivers championship.

Based on what...? A hunch? 

#25 TurboRookie

TurboRookie

• 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:42

Went with Max/Max/No.

I genuinely think its going to be very, very close between the two bulls, but a little too much for either of them to reach for WDC this year. Hope to be proven wrong, though!

#26 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 15,798 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:44

Based on what...? A hunch?

You can read the autosport+ article. It’s the opinion of all Autosport journo’s combined. Based on pre season testing and the performance of the drivers.

P1: Ham
P2: Max
P3: Bot
P4: Vet
P5: Ric

#27 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,922 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:46

I think Ric is going to get Webber'd at Red Bull from here on out.

#28 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,299 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:48

I think Ric is going to get Webber'd at Red Bull from here on out.

Highly doubt the difference between them is that much.

Let's stop pretending Ricciardo was completely outclassed last year, shall we?

#29 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,960 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:52

I think that refers to being a number two and possibly not getting the same support from the team. I personally can't see it myself like. If Red Bull are serious about keeping Dan they'd better keep him happy. If there is a decision to be made as to who gets a new part first I think it would actually go in Ric's favour for this reason until a decision has been made about his long term future either way.

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 19 March 2018 - 15:52.

#30 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,659 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 15:54

The one ranked highest in the WDC should get the new upgrades first if only available for one car.

#31 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,922 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 16:14

:confused:  Well I for one have never suggested such a thing.  I'm not Dutch FWIW.  Regardless of natural gaps in speed, its easy for a team to manipulate the mind, and Marko is a champ at that IMO.

#32 gillesfan76

gillesfan76

• 9,307 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 16:32

Yes psychology never is a massive thing when you have oodles of talent and haven't yet been tested under pressure at the highest tier. Right now Max knows he's got lots of time, lots of time for an opportunity to present itself. It will be very different if for whatever reason he goes through a few more seasons in a non-championship contending car and then suddenly one season finds himself not only in a championship contending car, but also having another driver (may or may not be in the same team) who he has to fight hard for the championship. That feeling that "Hey I've gone so many years without a championship opportunity and this just may be it. May be just the one opportunity for who knows how long.". 

Let's see how he handles that pressure if and when he actually faces it. Until then he's spouting shite.

#33 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,960 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 16:43

I agree that Max (or Dan for that matter) hasn’t been mentally tested in a championship battle but to suggest he’s not been under any pressure is ridiculous. He came into the sport as a 17 year old with many if not most (ex) professional racing drivers willing him to fail to preserve this notion that only highly skilled and experienced drivers can hold their own in the pinacle of motorsport. He laughed it off and proved them wrong spectacularly, to the extent that a year and a bit later he was winning races.

2018 will be an interesting season for Max psychologically however. He needs to focus on a campaign this time, not just individual race results. That may require a bit more calculation and constraint. Let’s see how he goes about it.

Edited by FullOppositeLock, 19 March 2018 - 16:46.

#34 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,598 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:02

Yes psychology never is a massive thing when you have oodles of talent and haven't yet been tested under pressure at the highest tier. Right now Max knows he's got lots of time, lots of time for an opportunity to present itself. It will be very different if for whatever reason he goes through a few more seasons in a non-championship contending car and then suddenly one season finds himself not only in a championship contending car, but also having another driver (may or may not be in the same team) who he has to fight hard for the championship. That feeling that "Hey I've gone so many years without a championship opportunity and this just may be it. May be just the one opportunity for who knows how long.". 

Let's see how he handles that pressure if and when he actually faces it. Until then he's spouting shite.

Agree with you in part.

But since the first time i saw Max, i got the feeling of a psycho, so maybe really no problem.

#35 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:14

I expect Verstappen to come out on top. He’s got another year of experience under his belt and he pretty much already dominated Ricciardo last year. Though, I expect this year to be closer with Ricciardo’s consistency versus Verstappen’s speed and sometimes erratic style.

Let’s hope both have better reliability. I expect a 4th and 5th in the championship for the pair.

#36 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,690 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 17:54

Ricciardo is the hardest guy on the grid to rate. In 2014 and 15 he was just immense, not just pace but he was running the most ridiculous lines and making it stick, he just seemed so hooked up. H emade passes cleanly and safely that seemed impossible. 

Since then he has his good and bad weekends, it's weird. 

#37 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 18:20

Until then he's spouting shite.

Let's see the results of my winter anger management class.

I believe your comment is too aggressive and that you are wrong. Have a nice day.

#38 TRacer

TRacer

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 18:45

Now isn’t this just a spot on description of Dan’s situation maybe?

Great, the thread is back, the world started turning again today!

#39 Kerny1992

Kerny1992

• 63 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 18:53

I like Max, he's everything i hoped Hamilton would be personality wise because if he was he'd be even better than he is IMO.

Advertisement

#40 Kerny1992

Kerny1992

• 63 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 18:54

He was though, there was some massive qualifying gaps from what i recall last season.

#41 Ramon69

Ramon69

• 1,377 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 20:31

I'll bet my money on Max to have the edge over Daniel, but I support both. In terms of the championship, a lot of good things have been said about Red Bull's car, but I think Mercedes still has more up their sleeve. I Just don't see Red Bull being capable of beating them this season, so the guys won't have a huge chance at the title this year. But I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Ramon69, 19 March 2018 - 20:31.

#42 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 21:45

That's rather specious. Max has known plenty of pressure in his career and he's flown through it so far.

If you said he's too young/inexperienced to know any better, I might be inclined to agree. But he definitely seems to be in the "Drive fast and don't worry" phase of his life right now.

#43 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 21:46

Fwiw, my gut says Max will edge it but my head says never to rule out Ricciardo. It's got the makings of an interesting year, again.

#44 Whiz

Whiz

• 857 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 21:52

I think that Ric will strike back and be more constant.

Max is still far too hot-headed, but on 1 lap he will have the edge over Ric.

#45 Pits

Pits

• 1,060 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 22:05

Hey Guys!  :wave:

No doubt Max will clear RIcciardo again this year.

Let's hope the car is up to the task...

#46 Kao18

Kao18

• 5,617 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 22:50

Considering his age Max has been in so many high pressure situations already, outside and inside F1, I doubt a Championship battle for an F1 title would suddenly expose some hidden mental issue.

He comes accross as someone who is very down to earth and who speaks his mind. He has an enormous self belief and will to win. I dont think anyone has to worry he might crumble under pressure when in a Championship battle.

Edited by Kao18, 19 March 2018 - 22:51.

#47 Pits

Pits

• 1,060 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 23:25

It wouldn't surprise me if Max has been in more championship battles than most drivers on the grid. (If you include karting)

#48 SBR

SBR

• 332 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 23:28

Page 5? Opportunist. :p

I like to think I'm a positive guy hehe.

#49 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,795 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 23:54

You can read the autosport+ article. It’s the opinion of all Autosport journo’s combined. Based on pre season testing and the performance of the drivers.

P1: Ham
P2: Max
P3: Bot
P4: Vet
P5: Ric

So multiple hunches... :)

#50 DeVol

DeVol

• 1,100 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:29

6dqvmb.jpg