The Halo is here - reactions and developments 2018 [split topic]

• Please log in to reply
1820 replies to this topic

#1 Shade

Shade

• 1,421 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:35

W3OjDRn.jpg

Haven't seen a worse camera angle before... You can't even see the road up ahead.

Advertisement

#2 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:36

W3OjDRn.jpg

Haven't seen a worse camera angle before... You can't even see the road up ahead.

My god!!!  I thought it would be bad but.. not that bad! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#3 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,568 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:37

W3OjDRn.jpg

Pretty sure Red Bull's was even more focused on halo.

#4 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,284 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:38

W3OjDRn.jpg

Tbh while this camera is now completely useless the halo at least doesnt look as horrible as on the other one 

Still puzzled that they didnt opt for halo or helmet cams, would have solved pretty much all issues.

#5 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 3,065 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:41

Yeah they've really ****** this up with the halo. Onboards are useless.

What's happened with the lack of sector times... How the hell am I supposed to understand what's happening around the track...

#6 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,993 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:08

That Nando onboard :rotfl:

#7 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 18,090 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:08

Dat Alonso onboard!

#8 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,420 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:09

That shoulder camera angle is useless, just blockage everywhere

#9 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:10

That Nando onboard :rotfl:

We have a new winner for most screen obstruction.

#10 cheekybru

cheekybru

• 2,049 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:14

Omg RIP onboards :(

Can't see a solution which will show track, and drivers hands, maybe a cam mounted on underside of halo

They need to do something now this is awful

#11 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:21

And, note in the onboard from Alonzo's car you could see hands and road, etc. I expect by race day they will have worked out some of these and by the next race the onboards from all will be much better. 

#12 FullOppositeLock

FullOppositeLock

• 10,993 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:37

Hamilton getting out of the car there looked ridiculous. Oh man, what has FIA done..?

#13 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:38

Hamilton getting out of the car there looked ridiculous. Oh man, what has FIA done..?

Tried to kill and/or maim fewer drivers. Little things. 

#14 Venom

Venom

• 291 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:46

Horner making an interesting point on Sky. The halo at least gave the opportunity to give some potentially great camera angles. Not just looking forward but maybe looking backwards at the driver or down in to the cockpit.

Instead the cameras are exactly the same they were and just completely unequipped for the task. Poor foresight given all the work that has gone in to putting these ridiculous things on the cars. 

#15 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 2,318 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:49

Regarding those repeater start lights.  There was a race (F3(?)) in Japan during the 80ies, where one car rear ended another, flipped into the air and hit the start light gantry at high speed killing the driver.  These repeater lights are even lower, so two cars tangling (interlocking wheels) could be disastrous, unless I'm missing something.

You're missing a description of how the lights had anything to do with that event in Japan. And, how 2018 technology for interconnecting the main lights and repeater lights could be comparable to 1980s technology. 

#16 OO7

OO7

• 23,405 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 02:54

You're missing a description of how the lights had anything to do with that event in Japan. And, how 2018 technology for interconnecting the main lights and repeater lights could be comparable to 1980s technology. 

The problem was the structure not the lights themselves.  If a car is launched, the repeater lights look low enough that a car could hit it.  Remember Mark Webber's flip in Valencia one year, after colliding with a Caterham.

#17 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:16

They really did not think through these onboard cameras. Even the viewer has to peer over the halo. Comical.

#18 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,885 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:25

The onboard cameras are a disaster.

#19 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:25

They should rapidly stop showing last year's footage in commercials/promo's etc.

Seeing the non-halo cars every time makes it harder to get used to it.

Advertisement

#20 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,810 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:06

They should stick to onboards from the front wing or using the rear of the t-cam.

The 'usual' angles are just horrid.

#21 Clrnc

Clrnc

• 6,752 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:27

I don't really mind the halo in terms of aesthetics but it has completely killed the onboard cam. 

#22 Heyli

Heyli
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,822 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:48

W3OjDRn.jpg

Is this for real...? :/

I´m not a big opponent of the Halo per se, but this is terrible...

#23 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:53

to be fair, this is only problematic when they use these "retro" low onboards, it is perfectly visible (albeit really ugly) with the more conventional camera placement:

image.png

#24 Slackbladder

Slackbladder

• 2,161 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:00

Yep,. thats hideous.

#25 Lights

Lights

• 17,876 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:44

This just horrible on so many levels. My girlfriend had a peak at the onboard this morning and asked "what is this cr*p?". F1 is in a downward spiral.

They should just stop using T-bar camera's. That's clearly over now, but that doesn't mean nothing will work anymore. They just have to figure out an alternative for that camera.

#26 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:46

I didn't think the halo was so bad until i saw the on board footage, bloody horrendous.

#27 Retrofly

Retrofly

• 4,608 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:52

I will never get used to the halo.

#28 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:53

I didn't think the halo was so bad until i saw the on board footage, bloody horrendous.

This just horrible on so many levels. My girlfriend had a peak at the onboard this morning and asked "what is this cr*p?". F1 is in a downward spiral.

Yyaaawn..The Halo is here to stay. Deal with it..quietly please.

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:56

The biggest PR issue for Liberty coming into the opening round of the season was always going to be managing the impact of the halo and demonstrating that it's no big deal and not an affront to what F1 is perceived to stand for.

So in the two practice sessions we get loads of footage from onboard cameras which, instead of showing the usual mix of speed, skill and daring, have a big carbon fibre thing blocking the view. It's just about OK on a basic level with the T-cam, but the Merc one on the side of the roll hoop looks embarrassing and almost makes you wonder whether the team is intentionally trying to sabotage the halo through bad PR.

Like, imagine if FIFA decided that football matches should be encased in a glass cube, and then the World Cup started and they realized that they could no longer film the action? The halo was the one thing everyone's been talking about for 6 months, and they turn up at the first race totally unprepared.

You'd hope there's more to it than that, but on the surface it looks like a major failure of F1's TV crew to do their job.

#30 mjafc47

mjafc47

• 23 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:57

Halo is pretty terrible but there will come a day when it will save a life.

As for the rest of the action it seems to be hotting up. Red Bull look pretty close to Mercedes and Ferrari not far behind that. Sadly, Ricciardo has been given a grid penalty but I still believe he could come good in the race.

Full race preview here.

#31 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:58

They need to adapt camera positions, that's all. Halo is fine otherwise.

The 360 degree cameras are well placed for instance, so once they are a proper 'thing' it's all good.

#32 TheRacingElf

TheRacingElf

• 2,267 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:00

Halo is pretty terrible but there will come a day when it will save a life.

As for the rest of the action it seems to be hotting up. Red Bull look pretty close to Mercedes and Ferrari not far behind that. Sadly, Ricciardo has been given a grid penalty but I still believe he could come good in the race.

Full race preview here.

You don't know, it may even cost a life one day.

#33 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:07

It's not half bad.

You can clearly see everything up ahead, the wheels and steering input.

When I read all of the comments I thought "oh my god, this must be terrible!", I expected halo covering half the screen, somebody even said you cannot see the apex! :drunk:

Halo is not covering anything else but stuff already covered by the car :rotfl:

You guys have big problem with changes,

Sound is awful though.

some use(d) a lower camera position and in that case the halo was indeed blocking most of the track.

29391575_1915360528488641_881064215_o.pn

Edited by Zava, 23 March 2018 - 10:08.

#34 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:15

Not wanting to be over-dramatic, but that Mercedes onboard should never have seen the light of day. Same old FOM.

#35 Pimpwerx

Pimpwerx

• 3,237 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:18

I don't care about the look of the halo. I don't like it, but what's done is done. The camera positioning will be figured out by the end of this weekend. There's going to be years of that thing, so get used to it. I don't see a point is complaining about it anymore.

This seemed like one of the most intriguing Australian Fridays in years. The gap doesn't look at big as all the vocalizing makes it out to be. Are we going to see the gazelle legs come out tomorrow when the power gets turned up? People in the actual know have been trumpeting Merc's advantage, but today's running didn't make it that apparent for the single lap pace. The long runs looked more ominous though.

#36 majkel

majkel

• 271 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:19

some use(d) a lower camera position and in that case the halo was indeed blocking most of the track.

Well this is indeed terrible.

#37 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,810 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:21

It's as if they don't test the angle and view before airing it to the live feed....  :eek:

#38 Donkey

Donkey

• 947 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:27

It's as if they don't test the angle and view before airing it to the live feed....  :eek:

That is just awful.

Is it possible to mount a camera on the front of the halo? That would give quite an interesting perspective.

#39 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,638 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:33

It would be nice to know if and how far down the line the FIA have gotten with looking at new onboard cameras. Clearly the current onboard positions are no longer good enough for broadcasting. It's not just one more thing we need to get used to, it needs to be better. The side of helmet cam may as well just be taken off the cars now to save a little weight but the overhead woudn't be so bad if they were raised up another 4-5 inches into a sweet spot where you could still see the steering wheel.

When I read all of the comments I thought "oh my god, this must be terrible!", I expected halo covering half the screen, somebody even said you cannot see the apex! :drunk:

People were referring to the side helmet camera. From that view it was blocking almost all of the track and you couldn't see the apex. Nobody can seriously defend that particular onboard camera but the overhead could be improved with some tweaking.

No doubt the halo could very possibly save a life one day but could also deflect objects into the cockpit or hook onto bodywork and pull it in and around the drivers area. Think of Kimi and Alonso crashing in Austria and how the floor could easily have caught the front structure of the halo and and hooked on, broken off bits off the floor and trapped Kimi in the car or worse. It simply isn't the answer when it comes with it's own new potential for danger. Sooner the halo evolves into a closed cockpit the better.

Suspected it would be much closer at the front in FP2 and really pleased to see Red Bull are so close from the start of the season. The rate at which they develop should have Ferrari and Mercedes worried and this could well be Max's first real crack at a championship against the "old guard" of Lewis and Seb.

Wish I could know a bit more about the tires but these new graphics are hopeless.

Advertisement

#40 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:58

With everyone complaining about the onboard camera plus Halo, why don't they use the new nose-camera. The one halfway between the cockpit and the tip of the nose.

#41 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:02

With everyone complaining about the onboard camera plus Halo, why don't they use the new nose-camera. The one halfway between the cockpit and the tip of the nose.

I'd prefer that too, but I'm pretty sure they want to have the driver in view.

#42 JoeDede

JoeDede

• 566 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:09

Ok, I'm officially blind  :rotfl:

Oh wait...I can see it now...

#43 rockdude101

rockdude101

• 578 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:24

I'd prefer that too, but I'm pretty sure they want to have the driver in view.

Then they shouldn't have built the HALO. 

Was a difficult viewing for me, unless I can find a way of permanently watching from a position that doesn't include the HALO, I'll be switching over to 5 live - for a sport that's built upon visual aesthetics.  :(

Seems as if Hamilton is streets ahead already. 

Edited by rockdude101, 23 March 2018 - 11:25.

#44 ANF

ANF

• 29,366 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:34

The T-cam is fine. The Halo only blocks out the suspension arms.

It was always clear that the over-the-shoulder cams wouldn't work with the Halo.

Edited by ANF, 23 March 2018 - 12:09.

#45 dexadexasa

dexadexasa

• 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:39

I think the cam should be inside the halo, top front part. Best view in my opinion. Of course if it doesn't hinder the structural strength.

Edited by dexadexasa, 23 March 2018 - 11:40.

#46 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,407 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:40

Not wanting to be over-dramatic, but that Mercedes onboard should never have seen the light of day. Same old FOM.

It truly is shockingly awful, hell, even my wife agrees with me. The last time she did that was 51 years ago when we exchanged marriage vows. :mad:

#47 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:07

the centre T cam onboard camera is just about passable, but most of the others seen today were awful, and you could see very little of the track ahead. Awful to watch

Edited by Massa_f1, 23 March 2018 - 12:13.

#48 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,381 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:15

Why would they even show that camera? Makes no sense to me.

#49 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:18

It's fkn awful ! For a sport at the bleeding edge of technology and striving to bring F1 to a new mass TV audience, sticking a hoofing big lump of metal directly in front of the camera was a stroke of genius!!1!

At least find a better spot for the cameras to go, can't expect the audience to accept this rubbish!

#50 Anja

Anja

• 10,313 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:19

This is really the worst part of this whole thing for me. Only now, all of a sudden, they realised that the halo might interfere with onboard cameras. What a farce.