Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:09

ugjxn3twfkn01.png

Jp

Superb.  :rotfl:

#153 peggle

peggle

• 127 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:19

Still looks like shite, lets hope they comeup with a better solution, hell it looks worse than the droopy dick noses from a few years ago and that's saying something

#154 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 15,913 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:20

Not one post on the F1 Facebook page with the Halo on plain view. Which, of course, is very deliberate.

#155 Man of the race

Man of the race

• 1,467 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:20

I wonder whether the technology available out there can ultimately get rid of the halo on on-board view.

Alfred Nobel has invented a working solution.

Edited by Man of the race, 23 March 2018 - 20:24.

#156 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 1,543 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:23

Where do we draw the line? For those that are happy with the halo for the safety benefits, is this halo far enough that we don't need to look at improving it or evolving it over the years now? What about the gaping holes that remain? Do we need to keep going and fully close the cockpits and say it's time open top racing is done with for good? Or are you happy enough to carry on as we are now and risk the drivers being struck in the head by debris or other objects that the halo can't protect against? After all, in F1 we've seen more objects either strike a driver in the head or almost strike them than we have seen tires coming loose and hitting a driver in the head.

Although it was brought in in the name of safety, it's set a precedent to keep closing off the cockpit entirely. For me that's what the initial discussions should have been about. Being honest and up front about open top racing and whether it's going to continue or not, rather than rushing in this monstrosity and thinking about what it means for the future later on. If after a proper discussion the conclusion was it's time to end open top racing then so be it and you look at serious designs for canopies and spend a good few years perfecting it. If not, then we should have carried on as we have done since F1 begun where not a single serious F1 driver had major concerns about racing open top cars, or at least not to the point they were vocal about it.

This half cooked and half way go between just isn't good enough both from an aesthetic and safety point of view. Whilst the deaths of De Villota, Bianchi and Wilson were terribly sad the first didn't occur at a race track and was rather a freak event involving the wrong trailer being used and the tail lift being left at exactly the wrong height and Bianchi's accident because the recovery tractor was on the circuit when it shouldn't have been. Wilson's accident happened at an oval circuit in a completely different racing series. The way the halo was rushed in you'd be forgiven for thinking there were a number of deaths caused by tires hitting drivers in the head in recent years in F1.

The fact is there is a line to be drawn somewhere and the sport needs to decide where that line is before you've taken away too many aspects that make up what F1 is. We've come an awful long way from the days where it was almost certain that drivers would die during an F1 season 40-50 years ago and quite rightly so. Back then the sport was crying out for safety improvements and thank god they were made over the years. But was F1 crying out for a head protection device in this day and age? I really don't think it was. Unfortunately what's done is done but it's even more important now to move on and improve on the halo. Getting rid of it just doesn't seem an option sadly.

#157 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 4,562 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:27

Alfred Nobel has invented a working solution.

You believe giving Todt the peace prize would make him reconsider the Halo :p

#158 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,453 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:34

A lot of people keep mentioning Wilson crash as an example where Halo would make a difference. I am sure it would, but keep in mind it's impossible to use Halo on ovals (and Wilson's fatal accident happened at Pocono).

How about Grosjean's crash at Spa 2012. Does anyone see that instead of going over the top of Alonso's car, if Alonso's car had halo, Grosjean's car would get lodged in space between halo and headrest? That would likely be a fatal accident. Same thing with Wurz/Coulthard 11 years ago. These crashes happen every few years, much more often than Bianchi or de Villota type of accident.

Henry Surtees would probably be saved by halo, but the wheel still can hit the driver in head if its trajectory happens to match the "driver enter/exit gap" in halo. Same with Massa at Hungaroring. The real solution to prevent Surtees' type of accidents is improving tethers and improving wheelnuts.

All in all, in my opinion halo significantly decreases safety of common problems (exiting car without touching it because of electric shock, escaping from car on fire, smaller debris getting lodged into the cockpit), costs a lot of money (not only the device, but all that had to be changed with it, like  screens that are put on top of the car or start lights positioning) and makes sport hard to watch, especially from onboard perspective.

How do we know Halos are 'impossible to use on ovals?'

#159 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,993 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 20:40

Because Indycar studied it and came to that conclusion. It's possible that they were mistaken but those guys have a very strong track record when it comes to the science of making racing cars safer.

Advertisement

#160 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,239 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 21:28

ugjxn3twfkn01.png

Jp

Contender for post of the year.  :up: 

#161 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 20,764 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 21:39

I'm amazed they continued to show this angle throughout FP2. You'd think someone would raise the alarm after the first time. In terms of presentation, it's an utter disaster. They'd be idiots to use them throughout the rest of the weekend, and yet...

#162 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 20,764 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 21:50

I think it's good that the FIA is looking at improving cockpit safety. But at the same time, I don't agree with their policy to implement the first thing that passes their engineering tests.

Correct. The halo is what happens when terrible managers are in charge. And all it took to undo their efforts to justify it, and the efforts of the teams to conceal it, was to broadcast that onboard shot. Off-the-scale ineptitude.

#163 LBDN

LBDN

• 798 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 21:59

There comes a point where as a fan you can no longer keep complaining about all the issues with the sport and instead you just give up and watch something else.

The halo is ridiculous. But this is one of many many problems with the sport.

#164 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,453 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:04

I'm amazed they continued to show this angle throughout FP2. You'd think someone would raise the alarm after the first time. In terms of presentation, it's an utter disaster. They'd be idiots to use them throughout the rest of the weekend, and yet...

It could be someone in the production truck hates the halo and is engaged in sabotage!

#165 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,453 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:05

And, yet, all of y'all were watching to then complain... remarkable. 

#166 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 4,776 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:07

Great strides have been made in F1 safety, that has to be congratulated.  :up:

But there will be a degree of danger to it which everyone who participates knows and understands.

Not every single debris trajectory can be accounted for.

#167 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 1,055 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:10

What a joke

#168 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 2,614 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:12

Interesting development in the paddock... important drivers that previously backed the Halo (Vettel and Lewis) have now changed their minds! I hope the rest of the drivers follow suit!

Edited by beachdrifter, 23 March 2018 - 22:15.

#169 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,453 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:15

Interesting development in the paddock... important drivers that previously backed the Halo (Vettel and Lewis) have now changes their minds! I hope the rest of the drivers follow suit!

Link?

#170 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 5,741 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:19

What staggers me is how this wasn't picked up ages ago. I mean, they've been testing this damn thing for long enough. I recall the previous occasions it was tested, that it was evident there would be problems. And yet, in the intervening period, nothing has been done about it.

It doesn't exactly fill your with confidence for the sport. But I suppose it's nothing new - just another Formula One gaffe.

#171 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 2,614 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:21

Link?

It's on the German amus blog, an opinion piece on getting rid of the Halo. The writer mentions that previous Halo backers Vettel and Lewis are now opposing it, and that Todt feels betrayed (which is understandable but when an idea is **** like that, you have to have the right to change your opinion).

https://www.auto-mot...ckpitschutz-ab/

#172 Ellios

Ellios

• 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:22

Reddit is going full on meme! 

I keep thinking we've looped into a alternative universe... who knows what else will happen this year !! 

#173 ANF

ANF

• 7,283 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:27

Oh, another opinion piece by anti-Halo moaner Michael Schmidt...

Edited by ANF, 23 March 2018 - 22:29.

#174 karlth

karlth

• 16,285 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:29

The Halo is worse than I thought.  The onboards look horrible.

:|

#175 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 2,614 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:30

Oh, another opnion piece by anti-Halo moaner Michael Schmidt...

Are you one of the five Halo fans that supposedly exist somewhere on this planet?

#176 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,738 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:33

drivers that previously backed the Halo (Vettel and Lewis) have now changed their minds! I hope the rest of the drivers follow suit!

I'm seeing a report of Vettel saying he'd like to paint it because people are unable to see his clever helmet design. But that's about it.

These drivers have all been using the Halo for the past few years. There was a time to speak up - which people like Kvyat, H├╝lkenberg and Verstappen did - but now is not that time.

#177 ANF

ANF

• 7,283 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:36

Are you one of the five Halo fans that supposedly exist somewhere on this planet?

Five? I can think of more than five former Formula One world champions who have said that the Halo is a good thing.

#178 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,738 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:40

And, yet, all of y'all were watching to then complain... remarkable. 

No need to watch practise; the images are making their way around the internet - and not to F1's benefit.

#179 beachdrifter

beachdrifter

• 2,614 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:42

There was a time to speak up - which people like Kvyat, H├╝lkenberg and Verstappen did - but now is not that time.

You're right! It's time to act and get that thing off!

Advertisement

#180 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 497 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:52

The current design would make it impossible for driver to properly see where he is going because their line of sight is often upwards when on bankings etc

#181 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 1,992 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 22:59

Calling it, halo will be gone by year end.

#182 dweller23

dweller23

• 1,151 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 23:02

Well, one thing we need to remember, we're yet to see a start of the race with halo. Australia is known for first lap carnage, I wonder if hampered visibility will increase the amount of 1st lap incidents.

#183 Quickshifter

Quickshifter

• 3,913 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 23:10

Safety and aesthetics can coexist. What we have now is the least aesthetic option FIA could have come up with, which is a damning indictment of a sport which stands on cutting edge technology. Simple basics like camera mounting angles have been so grossly overlooked. Halo has been tested on actual cars in the last couple of years yet we see majority of onboards rendered completely useless and atrocious to look at.

#184 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 4,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 23:12

Ugly fonts, graphics, horrible new logo, weak sound and now the halo, probably the culmination of everything. 

It's like they're trying to **** this up with every possible tool at their disposal. 

#185 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 2,894 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 00:12

Indycar PR nonsense. If halo is unsuitable for ovals then loads of cars with roofs and cages that do ovals are also unsuitable for ovals.

#186 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,279 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 00:27

Calling it, halo will be gone by year end next race.

#187 mikerally

mikerally

• 250 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 00:33

never in the history of motorsport has something rendered an onboard camera so useless. 

#188 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 2,894 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 00:52

never in the history of motorsport has something rendered an onboard camera so useless. 

There was that time they put a helmet cam on the chin bit. We couldn't see anything but sky.

And that time RBR buried the front cameras in the nose cone.

Those were binned and sorted swiftly.

#189 mwf1

mwf1

• 775 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:13

It looks like crap, my argument has always been you dont see training wheels on Moto GP or any kid safe crap, its all part of the risk of the sport, the cars are already a lot safer than previous seasons, people dont pay money to watch safety concerned armoured tanks driving around, I hope there is a break away series.

#190 mikerally

mikerally

• 250 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:27

can we get some sort of a damn canopy? Make it closed cockpit but just make that damn thing disappear. A fighter plane like cockpit would look pretty cool i believe.

#191 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,086 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:40

Correct. The halo is what happens when terrible managers are in charge. 

You kid!  Terrible managers?  Does such a thing exist, I thought managers were competent and selected on merit!  :stoned:  :p

David-Brent.jpg

#192 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,086 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:42

Reddit is going full on meme! 

Reddit?  If you thought Autosport/Atlas forums had trolls!

So I'm not sure it is a good example of rational debate on the halo.

#193 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 6,801 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:29

Well, one thing we need to remember, we're yet to see a start of the race with halo. Australia is known for first lap carnage, I wonder if hampered visibility will increase the amount of 1st lap incidents.

Lewis, in a radio transmission during FP2 said, "Visibility very bad on this circuit".

#194 andrewr

andrewr

• 338 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:30

The halo is here, and I'm gone.Watching this is a joke. I know it doesn't matter that one more F1 fan has packed it in, but goodbye F1. It's been a great 47 years.

#195 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,088 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:46

I went to the theatre the other week, I got cheaper seats (about 10% off) because I had a partially obscured view.  Maybe Liberty will reduce the price of their new service because the Halo gives everyone a partially obscured view. 

#196 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,088 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:53

The halo is here, and I'm gone.Watching this is a joke. I know it doesn't matter that one more F1 fan has packed it in, but goodbye F1. It's been a great 47 years.

I've been watching F1 about that long, and feel I've been watching it go quickly downhill for about a decade now, but I'm going to wait and watch the race before deciding if I'm going to pull the pin.

#197 BCM

BCM

• 1,489 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:08

Safety and aesthetics can coexist. What we have now is the least aesthetic option FIA could have come up with, which is a damning indictment of a sport which stands on cutting edge technology. Simple basics like camera mounting angles have been so grossly overlooked. Halo has been tested on actual cars in the last couple of years yet we see majority of onboards rendered completely useless and atrocious to look at.

Completely agree. Perhaps that's what F1's new "Engineered Insanity" actually means  :rotfl:

#198 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,086 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:38

Halo dropped off the front forum page after qualifying, rather than rocketing to the top due to viewers who hadn't seen any testing or practise and tuned into qualy only to be "horrified" at the halo...

So that means:

It really is no big deal,  and most people ARE indeed used to it, after all?  :)

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 24 March 2018 - 08:40.

#199 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 1,992 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:42

I think people are running out of ways to express how awful it is to be honest.

Advertisement

#200 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 20,764 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:45

Looks like they got the memo about the onboards. I didn't see them using that angle, and the lack of Twitter outrage confirms it. Now all cars are carrying expensive cameras they can't use. I suppose it's an improvement.