* * * * - 5 votes

The Halo is here - reactions and developments 2018 [split topic]

• Please log in to reply
1477 replies to this topic

#201 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,719 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:47

Apart from the onboard shot, which can obviously be tweaked, I don’t think it looked too bad. Didn’t really notice it after a while

Advertisement

#202 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,738 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:52

I caught the last couple of minutes of qualifying (thanks Bottas!) and the Halo might even be worse than I had expected from the short clips and photos.

What a huge contraption! :eek:

What's worse is that it's such an obvious half-baked job. The claimed integration into the rest of the car is pretty much non-existent, other than a few teams having bothered to paint the thing.

It reminds me of the last Audi LMP1 R18 car. It had such odd straight angles that it looked like a mix between a submarine and a truck. It was not a good look, and made it hard to see it as the racing car that it was.

The Halo has a similar effect. I can see the cars are going fast, and have lots of downforce, but the Halo draws attention to it and makes the whole thing look silly.

#203 Kalmake

Kalmake

• 2,894 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:01

I didn't expect it to bother me, and it didn't.

T-cam view is fine as only parts of car are covered by halo.

Helmets are still visible enough to id drivers.

#204 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 11,174 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:06

HALO doesn't bother me at all, was first against it and didn't like the idea, but it doesn't look bad after all, new graphics and still horrible noise are what needs more work on.

#205 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:36

Rosberg on RTL: I always was in favor of additional head protection, it's the biggest risk. Of course everything about the halo is bad, but it turned out that they could develop it cheaply and quickly, and when it was sitting there on the shelf there was no choice but to use it.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 24 March 2018 - 09:56.

#206 TheFish

TheFish

• 433 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:37

Surprised a few people are used to it and fine with it.

Hope I can quickly join them, can't see it though, I hate it more every time I see it.

#207 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:47

Halo dropped off the front forum page after qualifying, rather than rocketing to the top due to viewers who hadn't seen any testing or practise and tuned into qualy only to be "horrified" at the halo...

So that means:

It really is no big deal,  and most people ARE indeed used to it, after all?  :)

Inconclusive, anyone who would post here was well aware

#208 djparky

djparky

• 648 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:14

It looks bloody terrible on close up and onboard and slow-mo replays are even worse. Distance shots you can't really see it- I'd like thank Jean Todt and his bunch of safety obsessives for making it hard work to watch this

And for the safety brigade- how much use would that lump of carbon fibre be for all that debris that was floating around after Bottas crashed??? Absolutely none at all

#209 Gorma

Gorma

• 2,547 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:50

It looks bloody terrible on close up and onboard and slow-mo replays are even worse. Distance shots you can't really see it- I'd like thank Jean Todt and his bunch of safety obsessives for making it hard work to watch this

And for the safety brigade- how much use would that lump of carbon fibre be for all that debris that was floating around after Bottas crashed??? Absolutely none at all

The Halo is made of titanium...

#210 empe

empe

• 160 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:00

and flip flops are made out of rubber. same difference. pathetic contraption.

#211 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 13,738 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:04

Those smaller pieces of debris is what the helmet is for, though. The Halo is for stopping wheels, nose cones, or the like. It has some effect for smaller debris, but any obstacle would.

#212 fer312t

fer312t

• 1,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:22

And for the safety brigade- how much use would that lump of carbon fibre be...

Halo is titanium with a carbon fibre shroud, so you can both be right  ;)

#213 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,237 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:43

#214 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,993 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 13:10

The quietly absolutely wonderful Steve Jones about the onboard cameras fiasco on Channel 4:

People who work in TV are idiots. Everybody knows that.

If we can't see the racing, what the hell are we doing here?

#215 peggle

peggle

• 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 14:36

Surprised a few people are used to it and fine with it.

Hope I can quickly join them, can't see it though, I hate it more every time I see it.

It is awful, makes my decision not to invest in a sky sports package and rely on catch up and other sources more palatable

#216 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 4,776 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 14:58

It looks like a basketball hoop.

:lol:

Let's not go racing anymore, FIA. It's the safest option.  :up:

#217 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 5,331 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:07

Still looks like a half baked solution to me.

#218 pdac

pdac

• 6,700 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:10

Not a big fan of on-board shots, but watching quali I found that the on-boards were worse than useless. They may as well just give up on them.

#219 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:36

HALO doesn't bother me at all, was first against it and didn't like the idea, but it doesn't look bad after all, new graphics and still horrible noise are what needs more work on.

I can see people prioritizing safety (even if I find it questionable), but "it doesn't look bad"?

Advertisement

#220 Paco

Paco

• 2,131 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:41

Wow.  This is more of a slam at the FIA and Liberty.  Idiots.  Seriously, NO ONE tested what the cameras would be like with the HALO.  I can not fathom that they realized it was going to be this bad for broadcasting and did not come up with another way of showing onboard.  I would take a GOPro any day tucked in somewhere then this!!!!

More proof and inaction by Liberty.  Man these guys are out tooo lunch.  Ross Brawn, seriously step up your Liberty game.

Halo worse thing to happen to F1 since groved tires.

#221 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,203 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:44

They do seem to have stopped using the unworkable camera angles, so credit where it's due for that. The T-Cam view isn't so bad.

#222 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,117 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:48

Looks ridiculous

#223 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 8,780 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 15:50

They do seem to have stopped using the unworkable camera angles, so credit where it's due for that. The T-Cam view isn't so bad.

I still want to throw a ball in the hoop or take a dump whenever I see the Williams or Sauber ones.

#224 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 3,261 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 16:18

Wow.  This is more of a slam at the FIA and Liberty.  Idiots.  Seriously, NO ONE tested what the cameras would be like with the HALO.  I can not fathom that they realized it was going to be this bad for broadcasting and did not come up with another way of showing onboard.  I would take a GOPro any day tucked in somewhere then this!!!!

More proof and inaction by Liberty.  Man these guys are out tooo lunch.  Ross Brawn, seriously step up your Liberty game.

I agree, I can't see how no one figured this out.

#225 YoungGun

YoungGun

• 11,026 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 16:25

I must be missing something here! On boards to me seem pointless because I am not interested in what the drivers hands are doing.

#226 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 16:25

If barely seeing the suspension of an F1 car "isn't so bad"

#227 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 16:26

I must be missing something here! On boards to me seem pointless because I am not interested in what the drivers hands are doing.

Seems to me the driver driving the car with his arms and hands makes their movement somewhat interesting

#228 Spillage

Spillage

• 5,203 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 16:30

If barely seeing the suspension of an F1 car "isn't so bad"

It could be worse. You can still see the wheels, steering wheel and apex. It's not ideal, though, of course.

#229 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 17:17

It could be worse. You can still see the wheels, steering wheel and apex. It's not ideal, though, of course.

"It could be worse" did not get me out of bed at 6 in the morning on a weekend. First time in decades

#230 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,288 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 17:21

Maybe they should paint them in bright colors or put LED tickers on them after all. The worst thing is that on certain cars at certain camera angles, like the McLaren in a wide shot top-down from the front, you can barely see it and the decade-old mental reflexes make me forget it for a second, and then there it is again after the next cut.

#231 noikeee

noikeee

• 14,802 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 17:32

The on-boards look a bit off (the shoulder cam looks very off, I'm glad they gave up on it), but other than that the halo doesn't disturb me that much anymore tbh.

#232 CountDooku

CountDooku

• 9,459 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 17:43

"It could be worse" did not get me out of bed at 6 in the morning on a weekend. First time in decades

Likewise. I have never missed an Aus qually since I started watching over a decade ago. Today I didn’t even bother to set the alarm.

What’s so disappointing is that from outside and at distance the cars look AMAZING! Watching Hamilton’s pole lap it is amazing to see the speed the car carries then they switch to the onboard and you just lose all interest. I said I was going to stop watching F1 with the Halo and, contrary to what I thought, I might actually do so and just follow it via the Internet until Hamilton retires.

Edited by CountDooku, 24 March 2018 - 17:46.

#233 peggle

peggle

• 127 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 18:29

It looks like the infamous Briatore thong lol

#234 pdac

pdac

• 6,700 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 19:12

No they haven't.

#235 rockdude101

rockdude101

• 223 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 21:43

Those smaller pieces of debris is what the helmet is for, though. The Halo is for stopping wheels, nose cones, or the like. It has some effect for smaller debris, but any obstacle would.

That's why we have wheel-tethers which worked as described in Bottas's incident. The Halo provided no support for Bottas other than a longer extraction time to get out. 

Only after massive negative reaction to the clear lack of foresight to test the angles with the halo before the deadline last year. It's unbelievably rushed implementation meant that basic media work was not done until now. 

Let's go back to Baku/Singapore and debate the incident without referring to driver input shall we? 

Likewise. I have never missed an Aus qually since I started watching over a decade ago. Today I didn’t even bother to set the alarm.

What’s so disappointing is that from outside and at distance the cars look AMAZING! Watching Hamilton’s pole lap it is amazing to see the speed the car carries then they switch to the onboard and you just lose all interest. I said I was going to stop watching F1 with the Halo and, contrary to what I thought, I might actually do so and just follow it via the Internet until Hamilton retires.

Totally agree. It seem(s) as if Mercedes have two genuine challengers this year and the midfield battle looks good, exciting stuff (If only they hadn't changed the presentation either) and I'm looking forward to the race tomorrow, if only for action and not aesthetics. Most angles they're using are distance and T cam but you can still clearly see the horrible loop ruining the action.

#236 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 894 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 22:09

Really interested to see if we get any collisions tomorrow and whether they'll be blamed on the halo.

#237 Turboflame

Turboflame

• 511 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 23:11

What is there to complain in your life if you have such a nice Halo to look for every couple of weeks?

#238 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 23:22

Halo is dumb dumb and dumber. It has to restrict vision. And makes the cars even harder to get in and more importantly out. And if a another cars wheel tries to mount the car the driver is still vulnerable, maybe a bit less so. And is being used already to mount aero devices so even looks uglier and stupider. And as many have said you cannot see the drivers so even less spectator appeal

IF they were concerned about safety simply use a rollcage, commonsense, does not restrict forward vision [though probably a bit left to right] and for debris put a rock screen on it. As has been done in speedway for 40 plus years. And IF that was mandated for all the cars it is the same for everyone.

But NO, F1 has to do it their own stupid way, half assed ofcourse and cost a hundred times more.

As for titanium? What is wrong with chrome moly? Obviously not near expensive enough!!

#239 Wander

Wander

• 2,358 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 00:55

I had no opinion on the Halo before watching the qualifying. Onboard shots are indeed disastrous.

Otherwise, fine, the cars will just now (again) look crap, but they have got to fix the onboards, because that affects the enjoyment of following the action. 

Advertisement

#240 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,806 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:04

My wife is a casual fan, has no clue what a halo is.  She didn't notice it at all during the qually today.  Just saying maybe it's only us that's freaking out.

CC

#241 pdac

pdac

• 6,700 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:06

I had no opinion on the Halo before watching the qualifying. Onboard shots are indeed disastrous.

Otherwise, fine, the cars will just now (again) look crap, but they have got to fix the onboards, because that affects the enjoyment of following the action. 

I don't see how they can fix the on-boards other than having two cameras at different angles and using split-screen to show both views simultaneously. You cannot get a good view from just one camera position.

Edited by pdac, 25 March 2018 - 01:06.

#242 jwill189

jwill189

• 1,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:13

The on-boards look a bit off (the shoulder cam looks very off, I'm glad they gave up on it), but other than that the halo doesn't disturb me that much anymore tbh.

We shouldn't normalize something that doesn't deserve normalizing.

#243 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 586 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 02:06

People who are bitching about the cosmetic appeal of the halo don't have to sit in a car with a semi-present risk that a tyre may hit them in the face at 200 mph.

Personally - I've been against it from day one - but it really doesn't look that bad and as previous posters have said - apart from the obviously poorly positioned cameras for the on-board shots (which will clearly get fixed) it's surprisingly unobtrusive.

I'd prefer F1 without the halo.  I'd also have preferred F1 with a Senna or a Bianchi still in it.  The halo is a price worth paying.

#244 WOT

WOT

• 463 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:10

People who are bitching about the cosmetic appeal of the halo don't have to sit in a car with a semi-present risk that a tyre may hit them in the face at 200 mph.

I'd suggest, if you were worried about a tyre hitting you in the face at 200mph, then don't get in the car, find another pursuit. There are plenty of other things that can go wrong, like being trapped in an inverted car in the gravel with the halo blocking your egress - and the chance of fire....

Personally - I've been against it from day one - so have I - but it really doesn't look that bad and as previous posters have said - yes it does - apart from the obviously poorly positioned cameras for the on-board shots (which will clearly get fixed) it's surprisingly unobtrusive. Your opinion.

I'd prefer F1 without the halo. Ditto. I'd also have preferred F1 with a Senna or a Bianchi still in it.  So would I, but halo would not have saved either of them. The halo is a price worth paying. Your opinion.

#245 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 586 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:53

I'd prefer F1 without the halo. Ditto. I'd also have preferred F1 with a Senna or a Bianchi still in it.  So would I, but halo would not have saved either of them. YOUR OPINION.The halo is a price worth paying. Your opinion.

#246 WOT

WOT

• 463 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:13

I'd prefer F1 without the halo. Ditto. I'd also have preferred F1 with a Senna or a Bianchi still in it.  So would I, but halo would not have saved either of them. YOUR OPINION.The halo is a price worth paying. Your opinion.

No, not my opinion. I'm just taking the word of experts....

#247 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 586 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:21

No, not my opinion. I'm just taking the word of experts....

Source?  Would love to see what expert source that thinks Senna wouldn't have been saved by the halo...

...the Senna accident is exactly the kind of accident the halo was introduced to resolve.

Oh and by the way...I think we all know that posts on forums are generally the users opinion.  You don't need to attempt to make yourself look big by posting 'your opinion' comments in other users posts. If you disagree with me - simply say 'I disagree because'....that way we can have healthy debate.

#248 WOT

WOT

• 463 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:38

Source?  Would love to see what expert source that thinks Senna wouldn't have been saved by the halo...

...the Senna accident is exactly the kind of accident the halo was introduced to resolve.

Oh and by the way...I think we all know that posts on forums are generally the users opinion.  You don't need to attempt to make yourself look big by posting 'your opinion' comments in other users posts. If you disagree with me - simply say 'I disagree because'....that way we can have healthy debate.

There's plenty of sources out there, try Google....

Senna's death was caused by a suspension arm penetrating his helmet, not a wheel bouncing off his head. Discussion has been had that the Aeroscreen or Shield, may have reduced some of his injuries, but the impact was so severe that they probably would not have been effective.

Oh, and by the way.....  Pot.... Kettle.....

#249 secessionman

secessionman

• 304 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:51

Genuine question....

At the start, and with the halo, can the cars towards the back of the grid see all the cars at the front of the grid as they approach T1?

#250 DrLexus

DrLexus

• 39 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 06:13

It looks terrible but F1 cars have looked terrible for many years now so what's one more bit of ugliness at this point?