* * * - - 11 votes

Lewis Hamilton vs Valtteri Bottas 2018

• Please log in to reply
5545 replies to this topic

#1 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:19

So here we have it, the thread that has had the most drama over the hybrid era under the previous Lewis vs Nico era. This is the driver thread at Mercedes. It’s unfortunate to note how late this thread is to open, does that sum up the feeling of this ‘battle’ for 2018? Who knows but it’s a shame to see this not started until after the first Saturday of the season.

Both drivers have spoken during testing about how good the car is, and particularly how settled the car is in all corners, something they couldn’t say in 2017 when Toto referred to it as a Diva when it struggled (relatively) for pace in places such as Monaco, Hungary, Singapore and Mexico.

Speaking of the drivers, let’s have a look at the pilots for this ‘rocketship’ as it’s been referred to by others.

We’re going to start with VALTTERI BOTTAS. Coming off an impressive victory in Abu Dhabi last season, The Finn will certainly be hoping to be closer to his team-mate on a more consistent basis during qualifying, especially at older circuits such as Spa where he struggled towards the second half of last season. Valtteri had some very good races last year, including Silverstone and his three victories in Russia, Austria and Abu Dhabi and will be looking to build on that during his second year with the team.

Let’s just pretend he hasn’t binned it in Q3 of Australia. He’s got the fastest car and it would a great confidence boost to him tomorrow if he can trouble the Red Bull’s and maybe even the Ferrari’s towards the end of the race.

Valtteri is going to have to start the season strongly because with Daniel Ricciardo out of contract at Red Bill this year and Esteban Ocon waiting in the wings down at Force India, Mercedes will certainly have options for 2019 when looking for a teammate to the current World Champion and almost everyone’s favourite for this year’s title …

Which, conveniently, brings me to LEWIS HAMILTON. 72 (73 now) poles, 62 wins, 117 podiums and now FOUR World Drivers Titles, Hamilton is in the best place both physically with this W09 and mentally with his surroundings. Is this because he believes he’s got the beating of Valtteri? Some think that’s the case but I think Lewis just knows the team is fully behind him and that must give any driver confidence.

Lewis and Mercedes really turned it on after the summer break in 2017, taking 143 points from a possible 150 over the next six races and ultimately wrapping up the title with an underwhelming ninth place in Mexico. Lewis will surely hope that the characteristics of the W09 allow him to challenge on some of the tighter, twistier circuits where he struggled in Qualifying last season, notably Russia, Monaco and Hungary.

Ahead of the first race of the season, Lewis is going to have to watch for the two fast starting Ferrari’s behind him and who knows what sort of effect Max can have, starting on the Supersoft tyres and potentially running long into the first stint with a shorter stint on Ultrasofts at the end.

Despite all of the above, Lewis Hamilton does not have a contract for 2019, yet. Now while I’m not sure any of us can see Lewis anywhere else for next year, it’ll be interesting to see just how much Mercedes value their star man and if Lewis has (or wants) a say in the potential arrival of Ricciardo or Ocon.

Contrasting fortunes today, immense lap by Lewis and a shame for Valtteri.

Edited by MJB5990, 24 March 2018 - 07:54.

Advertisement

#2 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 5,315 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:21

The fact that this thread was opened this late speaks volumes.

Valtteri needs to extract a miraculous performance of a lifetime to beat Lewis and he's off to the worst start possible.

#3 Piif

Piif

• 1,806 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:26

Bottas was pretty close to Hamilton in q2 so a lot better than last year. But that mistake will cost him a lot. Hope they don't have to change his engine.

#4 HermannH

HermannH

• 1,200 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:27

Bottas couldn't have started the season worse. Probably needs a new engine, starting from pitlane and its hard to overtake here.

#5 Trust

Trust

• 5,156 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:28

I'm so scared for Bottas after today. Lewis looks better than ever. 

#6 Mercstar

Mercstar

• 3,123 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:28

After 12 yrs in the sport, he can still put in laps that make you go wow, that pretty much sums up Lewis Hamilton.

Shame for Bottas, but the pressue of constabtly chasing Lewis got to him, and he overdid it in the end, not the ideal start in what's a make or break year.

Edited by Mercstar, 24 March 2018 - 07:31.

#7 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:29

Bottas was pretty close to Hamilton in q2 so a lot better than last year. But that mistake will cost him a lot. Hope they don't have to change his engine.

That was track evolution. In the same conditions Bottas was 6 tenths down.

#8 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:30

Bad start for Bottas, but hopefully we will get good show from him tomorrow. Likely his gearbox needs to be changed perhaps chassis and PU as well.

#9 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:30

That was track evolution. In the same conditions Bottas was 6 tenths down.

He had bad lap/traffic.

#10 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:33

Valtteri said he tried to use more kerb on that q3 lap and cut it a more than before, but it was still damp from the rain earlier so he lost the grip/control.

#11 SilverArrow31

SilverArrow31

• 5,082 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:34

He had bad lap/traffic.

In Q1 he was 7 tenths down.

Edited by SilverArrow31, 24 March 2018 - 07:36.

#12 Topsu

Topsu

• 3,019 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:40

Shame, Valtteri didn't get to be +0.5s on Hamilton.

#13 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:42

Toto better inks that contract better as soon as possible....

#14 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:43

Damn shame... Toughest possible start to the season for Valtteri. Hope he recovers greatly tomorrow with no damaged parts / penalties(!).

Lewis cruising to win tomorrow. He is on top of his game.

#15 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:44

Toto better inks that contract better as soon as possible....

I hope you mean Lewis's and not Bottas.  :cat:

#16 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:44

Bottas will probably lose too much time trying to get past the backmarkers, hopefully he can still get a top 5 tomorrow. 

#17 kernel

kernel

• 5,193 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:45

Lewis just took Bottas to Tonkingtown...

#18 MastaKink

MastaKink

• 4,353 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:46

Great lap Lewis. :up:

I think he's going to have a monster year this year. Bit of needle with Seb too which I actually like, shows they care.

#19 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:47

In Q1 he was 7 tenths down.

Traffic

Advertisement

#20 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:48

Bottas will probably lose too much time trying to get past the backmarkers, hopefully he can still get a top 5 tomorrow.

Top 6 would already be a good recovery.

#21 EndlessMotion

EndlessMotion

• 3,641 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:52

Worst possible start for Valterri. He knows he has to deliver this year now he's got a season under his belt with the team. He's clearly a quick enough driver to take poles and win races in this Mercedes but does he have the ability to pull it out as consistently as Lewis? I'm not convinced.

Tells you a lot about just how good Rosberg's 2016 season was. He really had to be at his very best at every race to give himself the chance of a WDC.

I hope Bottas can pick himself up and move on. He's only going to feel the pressure even more after that crash. Mercedes can't afford to have him finishing behind Ferrari and Red Bull too often.

#22 SonGoku

SonGoku

• 5,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:56

Worst possible start for Valterri. He knows he has to deliver this year now he's got a season under his belt with the team. He's clearly a quick enough driver to take poles and win races in this Mercedes but does he have the ability to pull it out as consistently as Lewis? I'm not convinced.

Tells you a lot about just how good Rosberg's 2016 season was. He really had to be at his very best at every race to give himself the chance of a WDC.

I hope Bottas can pick himself up and move on. He's only going to feel the pressure even more after that crash. Mercedes can't afford to have him finishing behind Ferrari and Red Bull too often.

It depends how he performs, because I don't think he has to beat Hamilton to keep his seat. Mercedes expect Hamilton to lead the team and if BOT is close enough, they will keep him.

#23 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:58

I don't think Bottas crashing had anything to do with pressure. He's just pushing hard as possible.

It depends how he performs, because I don't think he has to beat Hamilton to keep his seat. Mercedes expect Hamilton to lead the team and if BOT is close enough, they will keep him.

Exactly. What he did last year was good enough, swiping those wins from Vettel in Russia and Austria was really pivotal. 

#24 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 3,634 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:00

Bottas is still too fresh to this game.

All planets had to align to Nico win 2016 but he really did his part, a very strong start of season and solid starts.

Today, was a day to put the car in P2 like the previous champions team mates learned and see what is possible for tomorrow.

But no, he is still trying to be as fast or faster everywhere approach, not gonna happen.

Silly, silly mistake, if the car is really that good.

Edited by Boxerevo, 24 March 2018 - 08:01.

#25 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,621 posts

I've updated the OP, be gentle.

#26 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

I don't think Bottas crashing had anything to do with pressure. He's just pushing hard as possible.

Exactly. What he did last year was good enough, swiping those wins from Vettel in Russia and Austria was really pivotal.

Yes and like he said it was still damp outside the kerb and that's why he lost the grip.

All Bottas needs is to do a good recovery race tomorrow and get as many points as possible.

#27 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:01

Whenver Lewis is ahead, this thread will die down quietly. Whenever Bottas edges Lewis out, the thread will be reinvigorated, but to a smaller degree than in the HAM v ROS-years. Seen it all before.

#28 kernel

kernel

• 5,193 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:01

I agree. If Mercedes is in a good position to win the WCC, Bottas basically can't be the reason for Mercedes missing out on the title, so he definitely has to be consistent and pick up the pieces here and there, which he did very well last year.

As for Bottas for tomorrow, I reckon if there is damage to the gearbox, they might as well give him an entirely new PU as well and start from the back.

#29 kernel

kernel

• 5,193 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:02

Whenver Lewis is ahead, this thread will die down quietly. Whenever Bottas edges Lewis out, the thread will be reinvigorated, but to a smaller degree than in the HAM v ROS-years. Seen it all before.

Sadly... very true.

Oh, and you might need to update that signature of yours, now :)

#30 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:03

7 poles but only 2 wins so far in Melbourne. I'm not taking a victory for granted tomorrow.

#31 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,005 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:03

Enjoy your last year in a top car Bottas.

#32 micktosin

micktosin

• 1,034 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:04

I'll be surprised if this thread gets to 80 pages before the season ends.

#33 ToniF1

ToniF1

• 1,530 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:05

an_XQV9_E_700b.jpg

#34 george1981

george1981

• 1,366 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:06

I presume Bottas is starting from the pitlane with one new engine. I take it he can't minimise the pain of taking a new engine as he'd only be on his second engine and the penalties for new engines kick in when he uses his 4th engine. 

#35 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:09

Lol like it would be his last, he has proven to be very fast against the very best. If he won't continue at Mercedes (think he will) he will drive for some other top team.

Edited by Vesuvius, 24 March 2018 - 08:11.

#36 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:10

:rotfl:

#37 Synkro89

Synkro89

• 2,705 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:11

Bottas is still too fresh to this game.

All planets had to align to Nico win 2016 but he really did his part, a very strong start of season and solid starts.

Today, was a day to put the car in P2 like the previous champions team mates learned and see what is possible for tomorrow.

But no, he is still trying to be as fast or faster everywhere approach, not gonna happen.

Silly, silly mistake, if the car is really that good.

Indeed. I hope Bottas isn't to rattled though. He needs a solid drive tomorrow  :up:

#38 kernel

kernel

• 5,193 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:12

Indeed. I hope Bottas isn't to rattled though. He needs a solid drive tomorrow  :up:

If he starts at the back, he'll be lucky to make it back into the points

#39 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:15

Tough to pass at Melbourne... Hoping for no penalties and a good fast rise from the midfield to breath down Red Bull's / Ferrari's necks.

Advertisement

#40 Nicktendo86

Nicktendo86

• 2,573 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:32

Tough call today isn't it.

#41 TheFish

TheFish

• 6,395 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:34

Wow. Do you really think that?

#42 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:40

Good words from Niki regarding Valtteri post qualy. "He would've been right there. He did everything right, just one thing not. But we'll motivate him and bring him up again". :up:

#43 Signori

Signori

• 465 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:44

Good Lap from Lewis and pity about VB, let’s see if he can make his way through traffic tomorrow

Will VB start on his Q2 tyres or he has a choice of tyres since he did not set a Q3 time

#44 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:44

Way too early to write him off.

#45 MJB5990

MJB5990

• 2,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:45

Good Lap from Lewis and pity about VB, let’s see if he can make his way through traffic tomorrow
Will VB start on his Q2 tyres or he has a choice of tyres since he did not set a Q3 time

He got through to Q3 so will be on used US.

#46 Signori

Signori

• 465 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:46

Thank you

#47 GTA

GTA

• 2,581 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:57

This is why Lewis is special. Can produce a magic lap when he needs it.  :up:  :up:

For the sake of F1, please come back Nico  :p

#48 GTA

GTA

• 2,581 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:59

It's Australia, potential for multiple safety cars and a red flag.

#49 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:59

If they break Parc Ferme, which is almost a given, Bottas can start on new tires.

#50 GoldenColt

GoldenColt

• 6,254 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:05

This is why Lewis is special. Can produce a magic lap when he needs it.  :up:  :up:

For the sake of F1, please come back Nico  :p

Gap between Nico and Lewis in Oz:

2013: Nico +0,436

2014: Nico +0,364

2015: Nico +0,594

2016: Nico +0,360

Careful what you wish for. I doubt Bottas would have been a lot further behind Lewis without the accident.

Edited by GoldenColt, 24 March 2018 - 09:15.