- - - - -

Engine Sounds Thread (Part II)

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Christophe77

Christophe77

• 995 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 19:17

Maybe it's already been posted... But which engine gives you the most goosebumps? 

I know my favorite. And it hurts me to know they will probably be a thing of the past forever  :| ... 

Advertisement

#2 JoeDede

JoeDede

• 566 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 19:30

On this video V12, but it's not representing the V10 in a flattering way at all.

#3 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,973 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 19:37

Discussion to continue from the old engine sounds thread (now closed): http://forums.autosp...d-sound-merged/

#4 nickyvida

nickyvida

• 350 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 17:21

I went to my first GP live in 2010. Hearing the V8s shriek past me for the first time, that was unforgettable. The sound was absolutely bonkers, you could feel it vibrate the air as the cars roared past and it was addicting. Like an orchestra. Even when they were off the throttle, like in kickdowns and revmatches, it was majestic  I only regret that i couldn't see the V10s live (only watched on TV) as i was too young. It would have been off the charts.. The NA engines were truly the pinnacle of F1 engineering.

The V6T in comparison produces a sound like it came from a dumpster truck and was such a turn off. Haven't watched a race or attended a GP since the turbo era came about.

#5 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 17:45

I don't have a problem with the sound of the F1 engines, of course if V8s or V10s ever return then that'll be great news but until then I can live with how it is today. 

#6 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,939 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 18:24

The other night I was having a nostalgia trip, just watching some old F1 videos. Two in particular brought a smile to my face:

Now, I'm not going to pretend everything was fine back then, that'd be hypocritical. In many ways, it had exactly the same problems as now - poor quality of racing due to aero, and frequently predictable results with one team domination. But man, do I ever miss that sound.

I've changed my tune over the years. At the start of 2014, I didn't really think the engine noise was much of a problem. But I guess it's true what they say, it's easy to take things for granted. Stumbling back on an old video, it's like...falling back in love. :lol:

People who claim that engine noise is just wasted energy are talking complete nonsense, or viewing the sport far too coldly. It's a shame we're heading to a point where noisy racing cars are likely to be a thing of the past.

#7 DS27

DS27

• 4,681 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 18:59

^ Now that is what F1 should be.

#8 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,726 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 20:35

Bwoah.

Sounds so so good. It may be slower than the current generation of car, but my god, that is so much more dramatic.

#spectacle

#9 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 2,633 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 21:18

There you have it. It doesn't get any better than this, no engine will ever come close to the V10 when it comes to sounds.

#10 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 00:59

There you have it. It doesn't get any better than this, no engine will ever come close to the V10 when it comes to sounds.

Right engine type, wrong car. Mclaren/Mercedes in '00 and '01 for me, by a huge margin.

This is the pinnacle of goosebumps. Yes, I've heard the Ferrari 3.5L V12s in person too, and those are a close 2nd. 3rd is the Honda V12 from '91.

#11 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:04

^ I remember being so sad when their 2002 car did not feature the same exhaust configuration. 

#12 PlayboyRacer

PlayboyRacer

• 6,973 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 02:02

I went to my first GP live in 2010. Hearing the V8s shriek past me for the first time, that was unforgettable. The sound was absolutely bonkers, you could feel it vibrate the air as the cars roared past and it was addicting. Like an orchestra. Even when they were off the throttle, like in kickdowns and revmatches, it was majestic  I only regret that i couldn't see the V10s live (only watched on TV) as i was too young. It would have been off the charts.. The NA engines were truly the pinnacle of F1 engineering.

Let me tell you first hand, it was something from another planet. Formula 1 had its problems back then still, we can't pretend it was perfect. The sound absolutely was epic though, it just rocked your core watching trackside.

The Honda, Mercedes, BMW and Ferrari V10s were like an orchestra  :up:

#13 nickyvida

nickyvida

• 350 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:31

Let me tell you first hand, it was something from another planet. Formula 1 had its problems back then still, we can't pretend it was perfect. The sound absolutely was epic though, it just rocked your core watching trackside.

The Honda, Mercedes, BMW and Ferrari V10s were like an orchestra  :up:

I only wish i was born earlier. The nearest GP back then was Sepang, but i was simply too young to go. How would you compare it  to the V8s? I mean, i could only hear the V10s on TV, and even then, as shown in the videos, they were simply majestic. The V8s itself already were monsters up close and i'll never forget that feeling.

This is what is missing from F1 nowadays. The emotion, the electric atmosphere with these NA engines. F1 had problems then, but the NA engines more than made up for it.

#14 nickyvida

nickyvida

• 350 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:33

I don't have a problem with the sound of the F1 engines, of course if V8s or V10s ever return then that'll be great news but until then I can live with how it is today. 

Eh, i can't live with the current V6Ts. i guess you could say i've been spoilt by the V10s and V8s. But when you're used to something so good and then suddenly get something that sounds downright horrible, the dropoff was too much for me. The last thing that was sincerely good about F1 was taken away, in my opinion.

#15 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,805 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 08:52

I only wish i was born earlier. The nearest GP back then was Sepang, but i was simply too young to go. How would you compare it to the V8s? I mean, i could only hear the V10s on TV, and even then, as shown in the videos, they were simply majestic. The V8s itself already were monsters up close and i'll never forget that feeling.

The V8’s sounded like a million bees in a blender... and the V10’s sounded like a million brass instruments perfectly orchestrated for ear sex.

I liked the V8’s. They sounded powerful and added to the atmosphere. But when I first heard them after the V10’s they actually sounded awful in comparison. The V8’s hurt your ears they are that loud, yet the V10’s (despite being measurably louder) didn’t seem ear piercing. Just an amazing and powerful sound.

The V8’s were great. But compared to the V10’s they were lacking.

#16 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:00

Eh, i can't live with the current V6Ts. i guess you could say i've been spoilt by the V10s and V8s. But when you're used to something so good and then suddenly get something that sounds downright horrible, the dropoff was too much for me. The last thing that was sincerely good about F1 was taken away, in my opinion.

Well, I get used to things very quickly. It's like the halo, I don't like it but I can live with it and I still watch F1 today. 

I know the V8s and V10s were amazing but you do get used to things, it's just how quickly you get used to it. It's been 4 years since with had these V6Ts and they're aren't going to go anytime soon, so you will have to put up with it. 

#17 pRy

pRy

• 26,223 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:11

The Ferrari V12 will never be topped for me. Nothing comes close.

I was stood at the start/finish straight of the British GP in 1995. Jean Alesi was chasing down Johnny Herbert. And for a while you could judge how the gap between the two cars was changing just by listening out for the Ferrari as it exited Luffield and went up the gears getting louder and louder. It was like listening to a shark chasing down prey. Lap after lap the sound would arrive a little bit earlier. 

A different era for sure. It's as if the old tracks were made for those engines. The trees surrounding Monza and old tracks would create the perfect acoustic environment for you to hear that Ferrari even when it's long since passed out of sight. The track felt alive. It was a living thing. Now? Not so much. Tracks don't have history. They don't have a soul. And the cars are less likely to make your hairs stand on end. At least not mine.

#18 nickyvida

nickyvida

• 350 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:30

Well, I get used to things very quickly. It's like the halo, I don't like it but I can live with it and I still watch F1 today. 

I know the V8s and V10s were amazing but you do get used to things, it's just how quickly you get used to it. It's been 4 years since with had these V6Ts and they're aren't going to go anytime soon, so you will have to put up with it. 

It's more of a principle thing, for me. As long as it's there, i won't be watching, in the hopes they can reverse thier decision from falling TV/circuit attendances. You could call it some sort of a boycott, if you will. If the V8s or V10s were back, i'd be watching F1 again.

. I'm not going to pay hard cash to support something that i've always been against, ever since its implementation.

#19 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:37

Not F1, but an F1 engine (3.5L Cosworth from the early 90s)-

https://youtu.be/_nb1SrAp_UE?t=37s

That shot at :37 is just the very essence of what I love about race cars (loved?). The increasing pitch, the birds chirping, the stunning car popping into view and flying by... I can't not get shivers watching that clip. This is what we're missing today.

Advertisement

#20 peterkramer75

peterkramer75

• 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 21:09

A pre big bang era 500 cc racing bike.

A porsche 935.

A Celica GT4 165 or a Citroen C4 WRC

Mark Rennisons RS200!

#21 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 17:55

Good read here, from Popular Science...

https://www.popsci.c...ric-cars#page-3

Brawn’s bringing back the roar.

“The show has to be the number-one priority,” Brawn says, and then starts slapping the table to punctuate the list of factors that, to him, define Formula One: “The racing [slap], the drivers [slap], the history [slap], the noise [slap], the smell [slap], the atmosphere [slap].”

The FIA’s next set of regulations, currently being drafted by Brawn and his crew, could pump up the atmosphere. They go into effect in 2021 and will likely allow higher fuel flow so the V-6 power units—still hybrids—can rev higher and scream louder. They also might do away with a ­device that makes the power units more efficient—and quieter—by harvesting energy from the engine.

The decision to not go greener is all business. F1 is expensive, and Brawn knows companies won’t rush to drop a quarter-billion bucks to fund a team in a sport without fans. “You create the show because you’ve got substantial investment from manufacturers or technological partners who create this magic of Formula One,” he says.

Toto Wolff, team principal of the magic-creating, ­four-time world-champion Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 squad agrees. “Formula One is an audio-visual spectacle,” he says. “We need to be shocked by the sheer speed of the cars, looking at them, and by the sound of the engines.”

Everybody jumps on the hype of electric cars because Tesla is doing it, but no auto manufacturer who is ­going pure electric has ever earned one dollar of profit,” says Wolff, his ­German-accented English just ein bisschen louder than normal.

Still, Wolff continues musing about EVs. “My personal view—and I’m not a road-car expert—is that hybrid is the future,” he says. “I can see full electrification in cities as a first step, and hybrid everywhere else. But I doubt that we will have more than 25 percent electric by 2030.”

Much more at the link ....

Edited by AustinF1, 05 April 2018 - 18:01.

#22 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 3,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 22:50

Good read here, from Popular Science...

https://www.popsci.c...ric-cars#page-3

Much more at the link ....

Thanks for the link, but on the same site http://www.popsci.co...standard,488327

#23 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 22:36

Vxi3dYaWQA10SPXKVRhsnsvcwfcufCWyzmp1ygxc

#24 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 03:44

Monaco '92. Check out the ripples in the video caused by the noise as the cars go by...

#25 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:13

...and Monaco '18.

#26 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:43

Ferrari wins International Engine of the Year Awards for its 3.9L V8 Turbo and 6.5L V12. How is this possible?

https://www.motor1.c...s-engine-award/

It also seems that the award committee even values emotion, sound, & an artistic component in an engine...

“In the 488 GTB, the 3.9-litre eight-cylinder was a near-perfect example of a high-performance turbocharged engine, setting the bar so high that it swept aside rival powertrains,” said Dean Slavnich, co-chairman of the IEOTY Awards. “But redeveloped and tweaked for the 488 Pista, the best engine in the world just got better. Without doubt, we’re looking at an engineering masterclass from Ferrari. No turbo lag, beautiful delivery, raw emotion, a furious growl and so much power – this Ferrari V8 is a work of art.”

#27 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:50

Maybe it's already been posted... But which engine gives you the most goosebumps? 

I know my favorite. And it hurts me to know they will probably be a thing of the past forever  :| ... 

V10.

#28 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 866 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 14:37

Yes, the V10 was the best.  I'm sure glad I got to hear them live and I wish they would bring them back so I could go to some races again.

#29 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,539 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 14:52

Ferrari wins International Engine of the Year Awards for its 3.9L V8 Turbo and 6.5L V12. How is this possible?

https://www.motor1.c...s-engine-award/

It also seems that the award committee even values emotion, sound, & an artistic component in an engine...

It is turbocharged, so it couldn't produce a proper sound. ;) At least, that is what some say in the other thread when the MGU-H is axed.

#30 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,416 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:50

Monaco '92. Check out the ripples in the video caused by the noise as the cars go by...

I reckon there are ripples in the video when there are no cars going by... Or even on the track.

Maybe a sign of the improvement in stabilisation technology over the past 25 years.

#31 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:16

I reckon there are ripples in the video when there are no cars going by... Or even on the track.

Maybe a sign of the improvement in stabilisation technology over the past 25 years.

Nope.

I'm not talking about the shaky camera. I mean the waves/ripples. You can clearly see what the photographer of the video is talking about if you look at the right edge of the screen when the cars accelerate out of the chicane. The waves aren't there when the cars are off throttle or farther away.

#32 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,973 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:07

Nope.

I'm not talking about the shaky camera. I mean the waves/ripples. You can clearly see what the photographer of the video is talking about if you look at the right edge of the screen when the cars accelerate out of the chicane. The waves aren't there when the cars are off throttle or farther away.

That's probably caused by the audio track of the video tape bleeding into the video portion of the tape, given that we're talking about amateur video. With loud sounds the amplitude of the sound signal is larger and more likely to bleed.

I think that's what's going on.

#33 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,416 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 14:12

That's probably caused by the audio track of the video tape bleeding into the video portion of the tape, given that we're talking about amateur video. With loud sounds the amplitude of the sound signal is larger and more likely to bleed.

I think that's what's going on.

And I'm guessing that wouldn't happen with digital cameras of today?

#34 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 14:20

I like the sound of the current Honda PU, it kind of reminds me of a snowmobile when it's idling or just putting down the pitlane. The downshifts sound brutal too.

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,973 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 14:44

And I'm guessing that wouldn't happen with digital cameras of today?

Correct. It wouldn’t because the recording is a digital code representing the image and sound.

Now I don’t know enough about it to know if the ripples are caused during recording due to a limitation of the recording equipment, or they’re a result of the tape deteriorating over time. The internet upload obviously being made many years after the recording. Hell I could be wrong about the whole thing. It’s just what I think is happening.

#36 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:45

#37 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 866 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 04:09

Yep - the 3.0 V10's ruled the racing world.  They put on a show people talked about and remembered forever.

#38 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 20,498 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 05:09

Yep - the 3.0 V10's ruled the racing world.  They put on a show people talked about and remembered forever.

Yeah the commentary there was interesting imho.

#39 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 07:31

Saw some Goodwood footage but if it came to the atmo F1's, that modern day atmo crap still scares the hell out out of me while on tho other hand Cossies were far more pleasant to hear then I remembered them to be. That 6wheel Williams is too crazy to behold!

Best moment for me: Gijs van Lennep driving a 1974 911 Carrera RSR Turbo of the kind he drove that year and was 2nd at Le Mans with in a sister car. He had slowed down then pushed the throttle and you could hear the turbocharger whine. The commentatotars then going wild about `hear that turbo wind up` and talking about the days of the turbo pioneers using large turbos for more boost at the expense ot throttle lag and the effects of that on the driveability of the cars.

Advertisement

#40 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,467 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:53

All I remember is bitching and moaning about how the racing sucked compared to the old days......... No one mentioned the sound as it was normal back then.

Fast forward 20 years and people will talk about how loud the V6T's were compared to these horrible electric cars.

#41 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:54

All I remember is bitching and moaning about how the racing sucked compared to the old days......... No one mentioned the sound as it was normal back then.

Fast forward 20 years and people will talk about how loud the V6T's were compared to these horrible electric cars.

Thanks for posting this, I would not have got away with it had I written something like this.....

#42 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,467 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 13:34

Thanks for posting this, I would not have got away with it had I written something like this.....

Don't worry I will probably be burned at the stake...... 

#43 MSC7WDC

MSC7WDC

• 55 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 13:34

Yep. You forget how far we've fallen when you watch some of those old clips. A HUGE part of the dramatic sensory experience that was F1 was the sound. When talking about the sport to the uninitiated the sound was one of the first things I brought up. Now, my brother went to a race and commented on how much more impressive the Porsche supercup sounded. Sad. 

#44 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,869 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 13:39

Don't worry I will probably be burned at the stake......

You're getting a lot of heat for daring to be outspoken about the negative aspects of the V10 area and remembering people about the ones that were made at that time.....

#45 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 13:57

Not true, IMO. Everyone talked about the sound (at least at the actual tracks, maybe not on forums) because it was the biggest single draw for attending races in person during that era. Yea, the racing wasn't great, but the cars were utterly brutal and thrilling to see in the flesh, even lapping alone. I used to love FP1 on a Friday when you could always tell who was at a GP for the first time when a car would come past and they'd be absolutely giddy/amazed. It wasn't the braking performance that was getting them excited, it was the deafening scream of those engines. 

#46 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,691 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 14:00

We did see a preview of the future this past weekend at Goodwood with the Pikes Peak VW electric racer. Incredible machine, lightning fast, but... it whispered along like a golf cart. 

Highlight for me out of the Goodwood cars would be the Maserati MC12. I forgot how nice those things sounded. Miss the mid '00s GT1 grids when you had Lambo/Aston/Ferrari/Maserati V12s against Saleen/Corvette V8s, a Viper V10 or two, and no turbos. Now the GTE field is neutered and only the Porsche/Vette sound good. Shame.

#47 7MGTEsup

7MGTEsup

• 2,467 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 14:11

Not true, IMO. Everyone talked about the sound (at least at the actual tracks, maybe not on forums) because it was the biggest single draw for attending races in person during that era. Yea, the racing wasn't great, but the cars were utterly brutal and thrilling to see in the flesh, even lapping alone. I used to love FP1 on a Friday when you could always tell who was at a GP for the first time when a car would come past and they'd be absolutely giddy/amazed. It wasn't the braking performance that was getting them excited, it was the deafening scream of those engines. 

The thing is the current cars are brutal in terms of performance they just don't have the loud scream to go with the speed.

There are plenty of ways to get a noise fix if that is all people are after. I personally would suggest drag racing as 1 top fuel dragster/jet car is louder than a whole grid of F1 cars.

Or go to one of the many events that run older cars with V10 and V12 engines as I see plenty of videos on youtube of these events.

Will be interesting to see where the rules go over the next few years and if they are brave enough to go against the manufactures and put atmo engines back into the cars for the sake of the show.

#48 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 866 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 15:18

There are plenty of ways to get a noise fix if that is all people are after.

The thing is that a noise fix is NOT all that people are after.  The sound is an integral and important part of the race experience.  To suggest that people go to a race and then go somewhere else just for loud sounds is silly and disingenuous.

#49 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 866 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 15:26

Not my experience at all.  Everyone was talking about the sound because it was anything but normal.  It was spectacular and pretty much the main subject of all the conversations going on.  I am talking about the conversations at the track, not on forums.

#50 nonobaddog

nonobaddog

• 866 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 16:04

Like most people I only have five senses.  One hundred percent of the input I receive at a race is through those five senses.

Three of those senses are just not that important during the race.
Touch - it is not a good idea to touch race cars going well over 100 mph.  This can cause great bodily injury.
Taste - the food is good but it is not acceptable behavior to lick the race cars.  This can also cause great bodily injury.
Smell - there are smells of exhaust and hot rubber during a race but really not that much different than the parking areas.

That leaves Sight and Sound
Sight is very important, it lets you see the action.  However, depending on the track and your location you can only see a part of the action.  Also sight is directional so you can only be looking at one area at a time.

Sound is also very important.  You could hear a single V10 going all the way around the track.  Merely starting the first engine in the pits would cause a big cheer from the audience.  You can hear every upshift and every explosive downshift as well as the way the driver was applying the throttle in the turns.  None of the other senses give you this kind of feel for what is going on.  Sound is less directional than sight, you can hear the action even when you are not "aiming" your ears at it.  With the V6T engines you can barely hear them and then only when they are near your location.  They can sneak up on you without even hearing them.  The V10s couldn't sneak up on anything.  You always had awareness of their presence because of the sound.

People that down play the importance of the sound must be missing a lot at the races or they would realize sound is a huge part of the sensory input that makes up the race experience.