- - - - -

Wanted 'A Contract with Death'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,554 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 17:13

I've been trying to find an English copy of 'A Contract with Death' by Juan Claude Halle about the wonderfully talented and charismatic Francois Cevert.

I see it from time to time on ebay and Amazon but at prices I cannot afford (ie, over £100!)

amusingly the french version can be picked up for peanuts but I'm too stupid to learn french.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount for the book, I'm even willing to pay for the book and then ship it back to you once I've read it.

I don't need to keep it (although I would if possible) I just desperately need to read it.

Advertisement

#2 kevins

kevins

• 146 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 19:42

If you just want to read it did you try a library?

Even if your local does not have it you may get it on an Inter Library loan?

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 21:51

If you just want to read it did you try a library?

Even if your local does not have it you may get it on an Inter Library loan?

According to WorldCat there are thirteen copies in various UK library services. On checking, five of those don't seem to exist (a common problem with WorldCat!) Four more are in Copyright Libraries (Oxford, Cambridge, National Library of Scotland, British Library St Pancras) so would only be supplied on interloan if they were the only copy anywhere.

Of the other four, three are shown on catalogues as being in reserve stocks - in Hampshire, City of London and Solihull. The fourth is in the British Library's National Collection in Beverley. All four of those copies should be available on interloan - although be warned that you probably won't get more than two or three weeks loan on them. Three weeks is the absolute maximum for books from Beverley; no renewals under any circumstances - you would have to request it again and pay another fee! I have been able to renew interloan books occasionally, but it's not a given.