Photo

Automotive History Conferences

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 16:11

I am curious as to whether there are any here who attend academic/scholarly conferences, especially the precious few that focus on automotive history.

In particular, for those on the opposite side of the Atlantic, this is one that I asking about, this excerpt being from the CFP (Call for Papers) for the conference:

The Second European Conference for Automotive History is being organized jointly by Society of Automotive Historians In Britain, Automobil-Historische Gesellschaft e.V., Germany, and Contactgroep Automobiel- en Motorrijwielhistorie, The Netherlands Supported and hosted by the Louwman Museum, Den Haag, The Netherlands, and will be held on 29-31 March 2019.

The AHG, the CONAM, and the SAHB are pleased to invite you to their second joint European conference for automotive history, to be held in the Louwman Museum, Leidsestraatweg 57, 2594 BB Den Haag, The Netherlands, from 29 to 31 March 2019, with invitations extended to AISA (Italy), AHA (Australia), UIA (Serbia), and the SAH (USA), as well as to other interested organisations and individuals.

Unless there is something that pops up, I intend to attend the conference, whether as someone presenting a paper or simply attending.

Also, we just completed the following (full disclosure: I was an organizer and co-chair):

The Second International Drive History Conference: Putting Automotive Heritage on the Road

Date:  April 12-14, 2018

Location: Historic Vehicle Association, National Laboratory, Allentown, PA, USA

The Second International Drive History Conference on the preservation of automotive heritage, April 2018, as part of Automotive Heritage Month, organized by:

• The Historic Vehicle Association (HVA)
  • College of Charleston (Historic Preservation and Community Planning Program)
  • Society of Automotive Historians
  • The NB Center for American Automotive Heritage
  • The Revs Institute®

At the moment, we are planning to move the 3rd International Drive History Conference to an October 2020 date to better accommodate the annual HVA Cars at the Capitol effort held as part of the April is Automotive History Month program.

Plus, there is the annual Michael R. Argetsinger Symposium for International Motor Racing History held each November in Watkins Glen.

I have been pondering the development of something similar to the Argetsinger in Europe, say, the David McKinney Symposium for International Motor Sport History. Richard's get-togethers might be one way to get the ball rolling, for example.

I was thinking that there just might be enough interest in New Zealand and Australia for a similar symposium/conference there as well.

Academic scholars and, for a lack of a better term, buff historians, are in the same leaky boat when it comes to the topic of motor sport history and culture: outside our little group, few care.

Good historical work is good work, whether it done by an academic or a supposed "buff" historian -- the latter having many excellent historians in its ranks carrying the load at the moment on this topic.

At a panel at Allentown, I made the point that buff and academic historians really need each other when it comes to automotive history, more so when it comes to racing history.

At any rate, I encourage as many of you as possible with an inclination to share the fruits of your research at an automotive history conference, whether in North America, Europe or Down Under.

Advertisement

#2 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:47

Speaking purely for myself, the interest is there, but hardly the time! :(

#3 Fred Gallagher

Fred Gallagher

• 310 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:12

The David McKinney Symposium for International Motor Sport History at Albury sounds like a splendid idea.

#4 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 13:55

The David McKinney Symposium for International Motor Sport History at Albury sounds like a splendid idea.

Okay, so let us make it happen. Turn a good idea into a reality. It can be done....

#5 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 20:02

Second European Conference for Automotive History

organized jointly by

Society of Automotive Historians In Britain;

Automobil-Historische Gesellschaft e.V., Germany; and

Contactgroep Automobiel- en Motorrijwielhistorie, The Netherlands

Supported and hosted by

Louwman Museum

Den Haag, The Netherlands

29-31 March 2019

CALL FOR PAPERS:

The AHG, the CONAM, and the SAHB are pleased to invite you to their second joint European conference for automotive history, to be held in the Louwman Museum, Leidsestraatweg 57, 2594 BB Den Haag, The Netherlands, from 29 to 31 March 2019, with invitations extended to AISA (Italy), AHA (Australia), UIA (Serbia), and the SAH (USA), as well as to other interested organisations and individuals.

To further international discourse, it is the aim of the conference that presentations will focus on subjects which have a cross-border European or International interest, or are of general interest to automotive historians.

The provisional programme is as follows:

Friday 29 March, arrival, informal dinner in the hotel

Saturday 30 March, conference in the museum starting at 9am, with a break for lunch, followed by evening dinner

Sunday 31 March, depending on the number of papers to be presented there may be a further conference session Sunday morning

Speeches should preferably be made in English. Accompanying Powerpoint Presentations should as far as possible be captioned in more than one language, especially if the speech is not given in English. The length of each presentation is provisionally set at 30 minutes.

Please note that the programme is subject to change. The organisers reserve the right to cancel any part of the programme.

The closing date for submissions of papers for consideration by the organizers is 1 October 2018, please supply an outline, including estimated length and number of slides.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Does anyone have any idea concerning to whom information regarding attending the event should be directed or, more importantly for me, to whom proposals responding to the CFP should be addressed?

Thanks.

#6 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 781 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 18:22

It's not to far from my home, and I would be interested to go. Where can I find details to register (or when, if it is not net now)?

#7 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 19:37

It's not to far from my home, and I would be interested to go. Where can I find details to register (or when, if it is not net now)?

Henk,

Registration and how to submit a proposal for a paper information are my questions at the moment. There does not seem to be a link that leads one to such revelations. I am very much set to attend, but would also like to submit a paper proposal.

#8 dmj

dmj

• 2,251 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 14:14

Supposing that nothing changed since the first conference in Mulhouse (I was invited but unfortunately couldn't make it), contacts for registration should be:

In Germany: AHG:
Thomas Ulrich
Lindenufer 24
DE-13597 Berlin
Germany
Telephone +49 (0)30 3377 5787
E-mail: thomas.ulrich.berlin@mail.de

In the United Kingdom: SAHB:
Anders Ditlev Clausager
62 Viceroy Close
Edgbaston
Birmingham B5 7UT
England
telephone +44 (0)121 440 4745
E-mail: sahb.secretary@btinternet.com

In France:
Laurent Friry
E-mail: laurent.friry@gmail.com
telephone +33 (0) 607 643 621

#9 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 14:27

Thanks!

I somehow lost the contact info for the Mulhouse event, remembering that I thought one of the contacts was Thomas Ulrich, but wasn't sure.

I will contact both Ulrich and the SAHB contact for information.

I, too, missed the one in Mulhouse thanks to a scheduling conflict that I simply could not resolve.

I really wanted to attend, and after talking with several who did, wish I had.

#10 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:54

Here is the Call for Papers for the conference of the Automotive Historians of Australia (http://www.autohisto...onference-2018/) that will be held in August in Melbourne.

For those in Australia, this is an opportunity to get your foot in the door....