• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:19

Hello Racing Comments,

You know those elaborate opening posts ahead of race weekend that both help build excitement and serve as a useful place for stories ahead of the race? Well, they take time and effort and so what tends to happen is we get two people independently working on them and then one of them is beaten to the punch. Or no-one bothers because they fear that happening. This is a shame! funny, clever opening posts are highly welcome and so I've come up with this idea which is you can bag a race weekend and you then commit to writing a decent opening post. (If there was a general F1 season thread we'd do this sign-up stuff in there, but there's not)

I suggest we do them a race at a time so people have a clear idea of the amount of time they're going to be able to put in. If you are not able to do it, please don't just let the clock tick down like a wretch - say so as soon as you know it's not going to happen! But really, please don't sign up to do it if you suspect you might have to then pass.

Questions? Comments?  Anyone want to take on the writing of the Monaco OP?

Advertisement

#2 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,899 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:55

I refuse to even think about an OP for the event that of all F1 events is the least resembling of a race and nothing at all but a show-off glamour "Look-at-me".

Period.

But one suggestion Sophie.

Should this not be "Pinned", in order to avoid the need to `bump` it all the time and/or search for it?

Edited by Henri Greuter, 16 May 2018 - 08:56.

#3 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:24

But one suggestion Sophie.

Should this not be "Pinned", in order to avoid the need to `bump` it all the time and/or search for it?

Yeah that seems like a good idea, thanks.

#4 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 8,950 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:48

I could be wrong, but I think the reluctance to write these posts (or, at least, my reluctance) comes from the feeling that it's just going to get buried anyway. At least with IndyCar posts, that's going to be the thread for all the weekend, practice, quali and race. But I mean, you could spend a couple of hours writing a good opening post for an F1 race, and then it'd be lost beneath the masses of dedicated threads that for some reason we need for practice and qualifying and the race itself.

TL;DR: I'd be more inclined to write one if we had an IndyCar approach, rather than having unnecessary spin off (ahem) threads.

Edited by JHSingo, 16 May 2018 - 09:48.

#5 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:10

I could be wrong, but I think the reluctance to write these posts (or, at least, my reluctance) comes from the feeling that it's just going to get buried anyway. At least with IndyCar posts, that's going to be the thread for all the weekend, practice, quali and race. But I mean, you could spend a couple of hours writing a good opening post for an F1 race, and then it'd be lost beneath the masses of dedicated threads that for some reason we need for practice and qualifying and the race itself.

TL;DR: I'd be more inclined to write one if we had an IndyCar approach, rather than having unnecessary spin off (ahem) threads.

The build up threads seem to now serve for  practice and quali too now so there's that. I think it's still useful to have a thread for people to react to the actual race.

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:19

I respectfully disagree. The F1 build-up threads are the place to be in the week leading up to the race and absolutely condition how I feel about the Grand Prix heading into the weekend. The Baku thread was a perfect example and by Saturday I was well up for the race.

Some Grands Prix are more interesting than others but a good OP can build an atmosphere and mini-community and offer some pointers on interesting subplots and things to look out for.

#7 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:41

Also, to kick things off, if someone else wants it, please do say, but if not, I'd quite like to put something together ahead of the Monaco GP. 

#8 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,201 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:44

Do it.

#9 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 13:39

I respectfully disagree. The F1 build-up threads are the place to be in the week leading up to the race and absolutely condition how I feel about the Grand Prix heading into the weekend. The Baku thread was a perfect example and by Saturday I was well up for the race.

Some Grands Prix are more interesting than others but a good OP can build an atmosphere and mini-community and offer some pointers on interesting subplots and things to look out for.

What crazy lark did that OP. http://forums.autosp...-back-for-more/

Oh wait!

#10 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 17:57

Post what you have anyway!

Would people like there to be some kind of sign up thread for these F1 build up threads? I for one get a real kick out of reading labour of love OPs but I understand people are going to be less motivated if they find someone gets there first. The sign up sheet could take the pressure off!

Perhaps make a thread for the 2018 F1 season called "Formula 1 Weekend Thread Starters". The Indycar guys do it in the 2018 Indycar thread but we don't have one for F1.  :D

Don't you love it when a plan comes together!  :p

Edit: From the China Thread http://forums.autosp...na-gp-build-up/

Edited by f1paul, 16 May 2018 - 17:58.

#11 GrumpyYoungMan

GrumpyYoungMan

• 7,003 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 19:11

But do we need a seperate thread for practice quali and race? Could be better off all in the one thread?

#12 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 19:14

I think a thread for the build-up, practice and qualy and then a thread for the race works well. 

#13 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,738 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 19:19

But do we need a seperate thread for practice quali and race? Could be better off all in the one thread?

The Spanish GP race thread ran to 27 pages. Probs best to start a new one for the sake of people who like to go over the race comments afterwards.

#14 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,401 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 19:39

Excellent idea. :up: Nothing worse than being pipped at the post having laboured for an hour or two.
I'm up for TT, yes, yes I know the OP says F1.

#15 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 20:33

Excellent idea. :up: Nothing worse than being pipped at the post having laboured for an hour or two.
I'm up for TT, yes, yes I know the OP says F1.

Go for it. I only specified F1 to make it clear I wasn’t trying to step on the toes of the IndyCar threads etc which works well with people agreeing whose going to do what amongst themselves. The F1 group of fans lacks that natural focus but equally I see no reason why it can’t be a base for organising stuff for other motorsport series if it’s going to be of use.

#16 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 23:49

Hopefully nobody who is unaware of all this happens to start a thread while the one who signed up for it works on his thread.

I don't really have much time these days, but I'll try to sign up for some when I'm more free.

#17 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 06:50

Hopefully nobody who is unaware of all this happens to start a thread while the one who signed up for it works on his thread.

I don't really have much time these days, but I'll try to sign up for some when I'm more free.

Good point. I will do the Monaco one then and put a link to the sign up sheet to try and boost awareness.

And  :up:  to the future OPs

#18 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,122 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 19:20

These are usually one of the highlights of a GP weekend. Can we have everyone that wants to do one all post there's in the same thread?! The more the merrier!

#19 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:50

These are usually one of the highlights of a GP weekend. Can we have everyone that wants to do one all post there's in the same thread?! The more the merrier!

Well, that was mine for Monaco here! http://forums.autosp...uild-up-thread/

Who wants to take Montreal?

Advertisement

#20 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 14:04

Why not bunch all submitted openers in one generic thread?

#21 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:27

Why not bunch all submitted openers in one generic thread?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here? 

#22 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 22:56

I mean should you and me and anyone come up with their creation for say the forthcoming  race; just publish all of them in a thread titled Spa?

#23 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,286 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 19:29

Then you get a thread consisting of a series of OPs in a row. It’s also more work for us to merge everything.

#24 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,966 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 15:06

Then you get a thread consisting of a series of OPs in a row. It’s also more work for us to merge everything.

OK. Carry on as is then!

#25 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,401 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 21:31

Please, please, please. Whoever intends doing the Singapore thread, just please do it. I'm getting ever more cheesed off with the tedium of endless threads of whining, the circular arguments just go on for weeks, it's quite ridiculous. It wasn't always thus.

#26 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,401 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 20:09

Come on Sophie, whip 'em into shape and make this a sticky again.

#27 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 13:01

I'm digging this thread because, uh, where's the Baku build up thread guys?

Wasn't there some sort of agreement now on who starts the threads or something?

I'll do it tonight. I'm anxiously in the shadow of paulb's amazing Baku build-up from last year..... expectations and all that.

On "agreements", it's quite difficult. It can be as simple as a one-post "program covers" to a fully-fledged effort, and so difficult to assign responsibility. Not to worry.

*cough *cough *cough https://forums.autos...-back-for-more/

Who? You are mixing up the Pauls Tom. paulb is more IndyCar than me.   ;)

:wave:

Use the thread. 

#28 Ellios

Ellios

• 3,070 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 13:10

Good point. I will do the Monaco one then and put a link to the sign up sheet to try and boost awareness.

And  :up:  to the future OPs

And it certainly will be more exciting than the actual race !

Love reading folks OP's part of my F1 race weekend so thank you to all that bother ! :)

#29 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 13:27

Oh for goodness sake, I can't even get my Pauls right, let alone compose a build up thread :cry:

I even PM'd paulb a couple of weeks ago about the China buildup thread, he must've been thinking "who is this..." !! :lol: :lol:

Yes yes, work finishes at 5pm, leave me to it...........

Edited by TomNokoe, 23 April 2019 - 13:29.

#30 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 13:31

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: 

#31 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,401 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 13:58

Come on Sophie, whip 'em into shape and make this a sticky again.

Please.

#32 pRy

pRy

• 26,311 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 20:29

I like the idea of a sticky thread that contains a list of the races and a name next to each one from a group of people who wish to put in the time and effort to create the threads. At least that way everyone knows who has volunteered for each race. You could perhaps allocate the entire season ahead of time? 

Thank you to those who put in the effort of creating the threads.

#33 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 16:11

If it will encourage more effort posts, then sure - sticky again! But if it's not used, it will be unpinned again because we do try and minimise them.

#34 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,401 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 15:58

I'll do TT.

#35 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 15:24

I'm feeling French, and nobody uses this thread (so why is it a sticky?) 

Anyway I'm using it now, my hand is up for doing the French GP thread at some point tomorrow.

Will post on here if I can't.

Edit: It might not be my usual standard.   ;)

Edited by f1paul, 16 June 2019 - 15:25.

#36 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:26

Oh well. Someone has started a thread. 

Nevermind, will do one for another F1 race at some point this year (maybe).

#37 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:07

Oh well. Someone has started a thread. 

Nevermind, will do one for another F1 race at some point this year (maybe).

i'm sorry that happened, f1paul - when we make it a sticky, I think it sort of gets lost hiding in plain sight, but unstickied it quickly falls off the front page. The only other idea I have come up with is that people could discuss it at the end of the previous race day thread.

What do people think?

#38 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:18

Considering that it's usually the same person who "snipes" the thread away perhaps it would be a idea to tell them to first check in here. Not everyone is aware that this is a thing, regardless whether you mention it in the previous race thread or not.

#39 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:55

i'm sorry that happened, f1paul - when we make it a sticky, I think it sort of gets lost hiding in plain sight, but unstickied it quickly falls off the front page. The only other idea I have come up with is that people could discuss it at the end of the previous race day thread.

What do people think?

No problem. 

There's probably no point having this as a sticky and if someone wants to do start an F1 build-up thread then just search for this thread, say they want to do it, and this will bump up to the top then maybe it will be seem be everyone (or at least more chance)

Advertisement

#40 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:56

Anyway, its not that big a deal. :)

#41 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 16:17

Despite being stickied, I barely even noticed this thread. Sorry for previous indiscretions.

I attended Austria and Silverstone, hence why I've taken an inadvertent back seat recently.

The lack of a German GP buildup thread suggests to me that nobody wants to do one, so unless pkonsti brings out his program covers beforehand, I will post a thread tonight.

#42 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:16

I'm not sure the sticky is working! But I was grateful for the OP!

#43 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:01

Does anyone feel like writing a opening post for Hungary?

#44 Marklar

Marklar

• 44,283 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 13:17

I'm off work this week, so I can do it this time unless pkonsti or somebody else is snipping it.

#45 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 13:22

I'm off work this week, so I can do it this time unless pkonsti or somebody else is snipping it.

That would be great! I'd got a couple of little paragraphs up my sleeve just in case but go for it!

#46 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 14:36

You know the rule

The author of the buildup thread is automatically nominated for the race thread (and the poll!!)

#47 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 14:51

Are you the FIA Thomas? Making rules up like your a steward.   ;)

#48 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,643 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:18

I think I am going to stop this thread - I think everyone (including me) forgets it's here.

I suggest instead we use the race thread of the previous race to discuss who wants to pick up the baton. Thoughts?

#49 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,626 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 11:57

I don't mind. I prefer this thread. I will do the Italy buildup this evening, before 6:30pm.

Edited by TomNokoe, 04 September 2019 - 15:56.

#50 f1paul

f1paul

• 8,276 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 16:50

I think it's more of a case that people don't want to/can't be bothered to do one.