* * * * * 1 votes

The 2018 Monaco GP build up thread

• Please log in to reply
1433 replies to this topic

#1401 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:04

Vettel's race starts have been pretty damn good this season. Wouldn't be surprised if he jumps Ricciardo.

The run up to T1 in Monaco is very short. That would require a cock-up of sorts from Ricciardo.

Advertisement

#1402 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,965 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:08

Vettel is more likely to be passed by Hamilton than Ricciardo by Vettel; starting on the odd side of the grid is almost always an advantage at Monaco, unless you have a really rubbish start.

Edited by Muppetmad, 27 May 2018 - 07:08.

#1403 apoka

apoka

• 5,770 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:27

For the front running cars in odd positions, it is unlikely that they will lose positions. They just need to keep it straight for those few metres before T1.

#1404 jjcale

jjcale

• 11,498 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:31

What dumb things, do we watch a different season? The restart in Baku was his only major mistake  - Despite that he drives much calmer this year. 

His pace advantage over Kimi might not be as big as it used to be which lead to some less impressive performances, but the only huge mistake he did was in Baku, which was in itself not dumb (compared to some of his actions last year), but just in context of race and championship unnecessary.

You know what - I thought about it ... and I cant actually remember any other proper incidents - a few little things here and there but I cant actually blame SV for them eg the tangle with MV - which was clearly not his fault .... I guess its a general view that I formed ... or as others might call it: a bias. 

#1405 w1Y

w1Y

• 4,610 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:39

Ric must be the driver on the grid who will have a legacy built around him based on 1 season he beat an underperformimg chanpion, a few performances and picking up the peices where his faster teammate brainfades. Oh and the self confidence but the thing is I can dislike him as hes so likeable. Another thing which creates bias towards peoples opinion of him

Max is clearly a faster driver that is going through a few issues at the moment.

Im also confident that vettel would now destroy ric if he went to ferrari.

#1406 RECKLESS

RECKLESS

• 2,819 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:50

I just hope Räikkönen and Bottas don't click each other off at the start.

#1407 Alanmelon

Alanmelon

• 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:02

Could get interesting if we see a safety car on lap 1 and they all barrel in to the pits to get rid of the hypersofts.

#1408 keshav

keshav

• 1,415 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:06

Who all are on the 6th race with the engine. That should play a part, right?

#1409 Ospif1

Ospif1

• 262 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:09

Ric must be the driver on the grid who will have a legacy built around him based on 1 season he beat an underperformimg chanpion, a few performances and picking up the peices where his faster teammate brainfades. Oh and the self confidence but the thing is I can dislike him as hes so likeable. Another thing which creates bias towards peoples opinion of him

Max is clearly a faster driver that is going through a few issues at the moment.

What at the lottery numbers for this week also?

#1410 Bleu

Bleu

• 2,801 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:15

Who all are on the 6th race with the engine. That should play a part, right?

All Mercedes-engined cars

All Renault-engined cars except Ricciardo

Vettel

Of those, drivers with 95% of race laps completed:

Hamilton
Vettel
Sainz
Alonso
Bottas
Perez
Stroll

#1411 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,105 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:15

I have a feeling this is going to be a procession tomorrow.

Wow, we have a genius future-teller over here. :p

#1412 noikeee

noikeee

• 16,105 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:18

Car failed in 6/6 attempts. :( I don't know how many of those might have been wins.

Just imagine this was in the modern internet forums era. Clark would've been branded a rubbish car-breaker...

#1413 Paincake

Paincake

• 1,056 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:35

4ce.gif

You're joking right...?  :rotfl:

Edited by Paincake, 27 May 2018 - 08:35.

#1414 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,493 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:54

What are we going to see today...

It's already 27°C in Monaco and you'd think it would only rise. Track temp will be soaring which will really give the hypers a bad time.

Start, as ever, will be crucial. If there is a fight for victory it'll be between the top 3 only.

If Mercedes do plan on 2 stopping, will they use their remaining set of hypersofts to undercut? Warm-up and outright pace on any other compound isn't good enough.

Max will either finish without points or crash. I think today is a day where he needs to accept his fate and just bring the car home. There's really no point causing more work for his mechanics fighting tooth and nail for 13th.

Edited by TomNokoe, 27 May 2018 - 09:13.

#1415 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:35

May not belong here, but just read on Danish news site that Red Bull is celebrating its 250th GP this weekend. And that only two employees have been along on the whole journey. Christian Horner and Danish mechanic Ole Schack (the guy with the black head band in the pits). I guess Helmuth isn't employed at Red Bull for this to be true.

#1416 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:41

What are we going to see today...

It's already 27°C in Monaco and you'd think it would only rise. Track temp will be soaring which will really give the hypers a bad time.

Start, as ever, will be crucial. If there is a fight for victory it'll be between the top 3 only.

If Mercedes do plan on 2 stopping, will they use their remaining set of hypersofts to undercut? Warm-up and outright pace on any other compound isn't good enough.

Max will either finish without points or crash. I think today is a day where he needs to accept his fate and just bring the car home. There's really no point causing more work for his mechanics fighting tooth and nail for 13th.

First podium 2018 for Fernando. The man who read the race best.

#1417 apoka

apoka

• 5,770 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:42

We have seen a few times that a car that is way out of position can finish in the points even in Monaco. Given that RB is the fastest car starting last and that there is actually a difference between tyre compounds here, I can well see Max finishing in the points if there is no incident.

#1418 igoru

igoru

• 498 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:48

Ricciardo one of those special guys everybody likes him. Verstapen crash kid, fast but with no brains more and more like Jos Verstapen. Probably never among greatests.

#1419 ANF

ANF

• 10,698 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:50

The second Formula Renault race is 10 minutes away.

Advertisement

#1420 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 20,586 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:51

We have seen a few times that a car that is way out of position can finish in the points even in Monaco. Given that RB is the fastest car starting last and that there is actually a difference between tyre compounds here, I can well see Max finishing in the points if there is no incident.

If there's no SC to mix things up or a load of retirements ahead of him, Max's ceiling will likely be the very, very top of the points.  And even that'll be difficult as you tend to fall way back very quickly here if you're not at the front.  

#1421 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:10

There was a comedy movie in which this little gem was said:

On a more serious note, likeability is subjective. Why do you think people like RIC? Why Alonso, a man known for his temper, enjoys racing with him? Even Seb has rarely been displeased with his moves (Spain 2016 was an exception, I think). Isn't it because RIC is generally not risking double DNF with every attack and defense move? :wave: 
As for pace, it is not everything. 2006, McLaren had too much with Montoya and changed him mid-season. And for now, the season of your "faster driver" is worse than Montoya 06. :cat:

Edited by AlexPrime, 27 May 2018 - 10:11.

#1422 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,580 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:14

Without VSC's or SC's looks like the race is going to be a borefest. Hope I am wrong...

DeMh2Q4X0AAmzb8.jpg

#1423 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,129 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:20

Without VSC's or SC's looks like the race is going to be a borefest. Hope I am wrong...

DeMh2Q4X0AAmzb8.jpg

I was surprised to see SS thought they would go on to US

#1424 Trust

Trust

• 4,913 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:21

The interesting part is how big is delta between hypers and supersofts.

#1425 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,493 posts

For the sake of the championship, if they finished in grid order

HAM 110
VET 98
RIC 72

#1426 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 21,929 posts

Same here. I was always thinking they’d bolt on the ultrasoft no matter if the first stint was 15 or 30 laps.

#1427 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 21,493 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:25

The interesting part is how big is delta between hypers and supersofts.

About 1.5s in quali trim.

Perhaps closer to 1s in race trim, although new SS probably faster than old HS.

#1428 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,580 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:27

I was surprised to see SS thought they would go on to US

Same here. I was always thinking they’d bolt on the ultrasoft no matter if the first stint was 15 or 30 laps.

Well, this is Pirelli's estimation.

What I believe is that we will see somebody going 25 laps on Hypersofts and then on Ultrasofts to the end to make a joke of this Pirelli's prediction.

#1429 AlexPrime

AlexPrime

• 1,894 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:28

I have the feeling that there will be a SC (you know why) and HAM will win like in Baku. I hope that Seb wins it, though.

#1430 Jvr

Jvr

• 6,580 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:31

I have the feeling that there will be a SC (you know why) and HAM will win like in Baku. I hope that Seb wins it, though.

Well, there are many "you know why's" at the end of the grid so yes, it is very likely something to happen.

#1431 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,129 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:35

Well, this is Pirelli's estimation.

What I believe is that we will see somebody going 25 laps on Hypersofts and then on Ultrasofts to the end to make a joke of this Pirelli's prediction.

On Thursday it look as though Red Bull could do the whole race on HS!

#1432 monolulu

monolulu

• 1,129 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:37

For the sake of the championship, if they finished in grid order
HAM 110
VET 98
RIC 72

I would take that!

#1433 cravenciak

cravenciak

• 1,107 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:45

Both always claimed that the other one was his strongest rival on the track. Great photo.

befunky-collageavutc.jpg

Edited by cravenciak, 27 May 2018 - 10:59.

#1434 Fatgadget

Fatgadget

• 6,106 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:37

In this case, sure - it'd be a nice story for Ricciardo. It'd be even better if Ferrari won, of course, but that's true at all times.

Other than that, Monaco is just Monaco. Those who tune in know what they're going to get.

The sooner F1 gets this horrible sequence of Baku-Barcelona-Monaco over with the better; it's high time for F1 to go back to some proper racing circuits.

LOL!

It is what it is and always has been mate. Sorry, your ideal of what F1 should be  is Utopian. :wave: