* * * * * 5 votes

2019 IndyCar Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2893 replies to this topic

#1 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 23:18

Reading today about Scuderia Corsa being about 50/50 on going full time in IndyCar for next season, and previously reading about the possibility of McLaren also considering a full time entry, I thought it would be long overdue to start an official 2019 IndyCar Silly Season thread where we can discuss the many aspects, news, rumors and speculations about our beloved IndyCar Series, which seems to continue gaining momentum.

Will Meyer Shank and Belardi possibly join the fray full time too?  Will Dreyer & Reinbold make a return?  Could Vasser-Sullivan possibly run their own separate team?  Could Juncos and/or Harding add another car - could it be a full time grid of 26++?  Which new drivers might appear on the scene?  Pipo Derani's name has been thrown around... some others have expressed interest or been speculated about as well.  Is Baltazar Leguizamón for real?

And so on, and so forth!  Let's get silly!  :smoking:  :love:

Advertisement

#2 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:09

McLaren chief executive Zak Brown wants Fernando Alonso to lead any future attempts for his team to expand into IndyCar or the World Endurance Championship.

https://racer.com/20...ren-outside-f1/

“We’d like to have Fernando in our racing team for as long as he wants to drive,” Brown said. “I think he’ll continue driving beyond his Formula 1 career, and so if we’re in other forms of motor racing, then of course we’d love to have Fernando in our car.”

#3 prommer

prommer

• 4,957 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 02:40

LOL I'm down! Never too early.

#4 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,735 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:38

Kevin Lee and the gang were saying on Trackside that you just need to get the current full-timers up to two cars and the current part-timers to a full season and a grid of 27-28 is plausible.

Who's going to supply that many engine leases though? Dunno. But in terms of Silly Season goals, I'll take Fernando Alonso first and 26 full-time entries a close second.

#5 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 13:27

The engine manufacturers need to man up and crank these things out - I don't see how two of them can't supply a field of 30 (first of all, they do it for Indy 500, secondly Honda has done it alone before, too!), so hopefully that's not an issue at all.

It really doesn't seem to be OVERLY optimistic to think we could have 26 cars on the grid all the time next season.  Btw, are there any rules in place that limit the number of starters in a regular season event, or could 29 cars start without the field getting bumped down "just because them's the rules"?

#6 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 13:56

Thorn Burns who in the background supports drivers would like to go full time with a car

#7 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 13:57

When do we think the windscreen will debut?

#8 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 15:07

Thorn Burns who in the background supports drivers would like to go full time with a car

Yah, that's another promising prospect.

I just hope that it doesn't result in "new entrants" simply taking over some of the existing entries "in collaboration with" another team, not really upping the total car count.

I also think Ganassi should bring back a 3rd car - I think even they can see by now that it was a mistake to scale down that much while competing with Penske and Andretti.  Maybe Brendon Hartley can join them a year later.

#9 prommer

prommer

• 4,957 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 16:24

There was a racer video posted yesterday where the head of Scuderia Corsa says that they are "50/50" on whether or not they will run the entire season in 2019.

#10 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 16:47

I also think Ganassi should bring back a 3rd car - I think even they can see by now that it was a mistake to scale down that much while competing with Penske and Andretti.  Maybe Brendon Hartley can join them a year later.

I wouldn't say that the scaling down was a mistake by itself, the situation would look completely different with another heavy hitter alongside Dixon which was the goal and the whole point of going back to two cars. They were probably hoping Hartley would be doing what Wickens actually is doing right now. 

#11 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,399 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 18:08

They should have hired Bourdais to pair Dixon.  That would probably be the sharpest pairing in the field.

#12 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,966 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 18:41

The engine manufacturers need to man up and crank these things out - I don't see how two of them can't supply a field of 30 (first of all, they do it for Indy 500, secondly Honda has done it alone before, too!), so hopefully that's not an issue at all.

Don't they lose money per.engine?

#13 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,280 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 18:41

For some reason Ganassi haven't been able to get anything like as much out of the No.10 car compared to the No.9 car in the DW12 era. There hasn't been any shortage of top driving talent in that car.

#14 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,735 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 19:00

It really doesn't seem to be OVERLY optimistic to think we could have 26 cars on the grid all the time next season.  Btw, are there any rules in place that limit the number of starters in a regular season event, or could 29 cars start without the field getting bumped down "just because them's the rules"?

Back in CART there was a limit although I can't remember if it was based on a minimum qualifying speed or if it was simply based on the number of available pit stalls at a given circuit. Take a look at the entry lists for the 1994 season when races regularly attracted 30+ drivers. They started 26 at Milwaukee, 28 at Belle Isle, 30(!) at Long Beach, 31(!!) in Toronto.

As for the Indycar Series (previously IRL), IIRC the largest regular-season entries were in the 2008 season when lots of Champ Car teams made the move from the sinking ship to the one that was merely heading towards the shoals. They started 28 cars at some events that year, so I assume that they'd do that again if they ever got that many entries. We're a way of that, of course.

#15 BiggestBuddyLazierFan

BiggestBuddyLazierFan

• 1,555 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 19:03

So we have 2019 season topic, but we do not have 2018 Indy500 topic.

2018 Indy500 will happen before 2019 season.

#16 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 977 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 19:04

The title spells it out quite clearly: this thread is silly.

#17 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 20:48

So we have 2019 season topic, but we do not have 2018 Indy500 topic.

2018 Indy500 will happen before 2019 season.

Patience dear padwan...

The moon is rising over the Wabash.

The new mown hay sends all its fragrance.

Jp

#18 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 21:10

I think when CART limited it was based on number of pit stalls.  For some reason Portland bounced around in my head, possibly Milwaukee

#19 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:50

I wouldn't say that the scaling down was a mistake by itself, the situation would look completely different with another heavy hitter alongside Dixon which was the goal and the whole point of going back to two cars. They were probably hoping Hartley would be doing what Wickens actually is doing right now. 

I got the feeling listening to Dixon that he felt the scale-down hurt the overall data gathering efforts.  I thought Hartley would have been a great addition to the Series, and he probably still would be... even though he isn't doing himself any favors in F1 right now.  But yes, I never could understand why none of the "big" teams snatched up Bourdais when he was part-timing and racing for small teams pulling well above his weight.

Advertisement

#20 SKL

SKL

• 1,412 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:42

Have to admit back in the PT/Seabass days I always rooted for PT, but since his return from F1 he has definitely grown on me.   Especially love his videos with Miller and Pruett...  and I really don't think you can call Coyne an underdog anymore!!  Appreciated Seabass' honestly concerning qualifying and his experience from last year.   

#21 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,237 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:01

CART days had sometimes the grid limited to 26 cars on one-mile ovals which would affect the grid in Phoenix and Iowa.

#22 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:12

Gil de Ferran to head-up Mclaren IndyCar program. You heard it here first!

#23 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:35

Gil de Ferran to head-up Mclaren IndyCar program. You heard it here first!

You're speculating, right?  Definitely would make sense, given Gil's involvement with the #29 last year.

#24 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,966 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:37

CART days had sometimes the grid limited to 26 cars on one-mile ovals which would affect the grid in Phoenix and Iowa.

So, in a dream world we'll end up with a major racing series having drivers that DNQ's from normal events? That would be kinda awesome!

#25 Peat

Peat

• 8,851 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:48

You're speculating, right?  Definitely would make sense, given Gil's involvement with the #29 last year.

The chap co-commentating on F1 practice said he'd shared a flight with GdF to Nice as he is now an 'advisor' to McLaren. He then said that the role sounded like it was about to 'expand considerably' in the coming months. 

Pure speculation, of course.

#26 juicy sushi

juicy sushi

• 6,399 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 13:25

Just as likely sports cars then, given that Gil used to run a team for Honda back in their Acura LMP2 days.

#27 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,966 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 13:53

Just as likely sports cars then, given that Gil used to run a team for Honda back in their Acura LMP2 days.

https://www.autospor...-indycar-review

#28 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,839 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 14:05

I don't think we'll see a lot of new cars in 2018. Some of the new teams will be run  in partnerships. As McLaren with Andretti.

#29 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 14:08

The chap co-commentating on F1 practice said he'd shared a flight with GdF to Nice as he is now an 'advisor' to McLaren. He then said that the role sounded like it was about to 'expand considerably' in the coming months. 

Pure speculation, of course.

Annnnnnnd meanwhile that news is out!  :up:

#30 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 20:16

Time to bump this thread (bumping is a good thing!) with what promises to be the ultimate IndyCar 2019 Silly Season topic:  the ever increasing possibility that we will welcome Fernando Alonso and McLaren next year!!

https://www.express....le-IndyCar-hint

#31 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 20:38

Yeah.. I put that in DatDetroit thread but WOW what great news it is.

#32 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 21:16

I Just hope that McLaren brings an engine with them. I am sure the IndyCar motor would not be overly difficult for them.  Getting the last 20hp may be but should be pretty competitive out of the box.

#33 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,204 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 21:32

I just want to see a Dixon/Alonso title showdown, particularly given they’re still so good at about the same age. Two of the best guys in the world, no question. Would go down to the wire.

#34 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 22:49

So word had it they are talking to two existing teams about a collaboration for next season, IIRC Andretti and Rahal.  Andretti would seem the most natural fit, but they are already running 4 cars, and I sure hope it doesn't mean that McLaren will simply "take over" one of the cars - although there's really no one to drop to make room for Alonso anyways.  So I guess they'd be adding another one, but in that case, I would prefer it being Rahal, to grow that operation further (presuming Sato keeps his ride there for now with continued Honda & Panasonic support).

The team that I'd like to team up with them is actually Ganassi - they really need another car do supply their data pool, and adding a fully funded McLaren/Ganassi could be just the ticket - again presuming that the numbers 9 and 10 stay as full Ganassi entries, and McLaren just adds another (#8 is nicely available)...

"Too bad" Alonso's #14 is tied up with Foyt...   ;)

#35 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 1,200 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 22:55

Alonso is the 2019 F1 silly season and 2019 Indycar silly season champion at the same time! :p

#36 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 23:10

I want to see more of Kyle Kaiser; his demeanor and vibe were excellent.

#37 prommer

prommer

• 4,957 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 23:18

OvDrone, I feel the same way about ZCDM. He fascinates me now.

#38 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,165 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 23:23

OvDrone, I feel the same way about ZCDM. He fascinates me now.

That name is a bitch to type though. And I am already soul-wounded by the puns.

#39 prommer

prommer

• 4,957 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 23:29

I know it's not the same Honda, it's American Honda, but would McLaren tie up again with a Honda-backed team? Isn't there part of them that wants to stick it to the H and sign up with the Bow Tie instead?

Maybe that's part of their presence in Detroit this weekend, to meet with Chevy bigwigs?

And... maybe McLaren doesn't want to do anything by halves, so they're aiming to spend the cash to tie up with the best team on the grid, to make a Penske-McLaren entry?

AND... in the course of those meetings, it's discussed that Alonso needs a 2nd car/teammate, and does Penske have anyone under contract who would, you know, be available for the spot?

AND AND... is that how we end up with an Alonso/Montoya Penske-McLaren team on the grid for 2019??

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE STOP ME?

Advertisement

#40 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 1,200 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 23:34

Wouldn't that be nice!

Is there any sign of Montoya returning?

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:22

As history demands... There will NEVER be a Penske/McLaren.

#42 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:22

Wouldn't that be nice!

Is there any sign of Montoya returning?

Could he even fit in a car now?

#43 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,083 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:57

As history demands... There will NEVER be a Penske/McLaren.

There was the Penske McLaren Indy 500 win in '72? Or is it a case of never be another Penske/McLaren? What's the history that I'm missing? 

Edited by Ben1445, 31 May 2018 - 08:00.

#44 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:58

I know it's not the same Honda, it's American Honda, but would McLaren tie up again with a Honda-backed team? Isn't there part of them that wants to stick it to the H and sign up with the Bow Tie instead?

Maybe that's part of their presence in Detroit this weekend, to meet with Chevy bigwigs?

And... maybe McLaren doesn't want to do anything by halves, so they're aiming to spend the cash to tie up with the best team on the grid, to make a Penske-McLaren entry?

AND... in the course of those meetings, it's discussed that Alonso needs a 2nd car/teammate, and does Penske have anyone under contract who would, you know, be available for the spot?

AND AND... is that how we end up with an Alonso/Montoya Penske-McLaren team on the grid for 2019??

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE STOP ME?

It's possible. I don't think McLaren has any issues with Honda as such, but it's true that Chevy could use another team.

I would love to see McLaren run 2 Penske-affiliated cars in addition to the 3 Penskes.  Alonso/Castroneves, please!   Love Montoya, but Castroneves would have to be first on the list for me.

#45 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:58

I like the sound of McLaren/RLL. Sato and Alonso together again? Sign me up.

#46 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 15:03

No no no ... Just no.

#47 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 15:04

Also, if it winds JP up massively, then double sign me up.  :p

#48 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 17:05

https://racer.com/20...-2019-indy-500/

The Scuderia will be at the 2019 Indy 500!!!!!

Scuderia Corsa, that is.  But that's great news, too... and they are still working on a full-season entry for 2019, as well.  Interesting also the comment at the bottom of the article about the "not so crazy" idea of Fiat-Chrysler building an IndyCar engine!  :love:

#49 Anja

Anja

• 10,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 17:19

Good to hear they have a long-term plan, and it seems rather realistic with the step-by-step approach. Hopefully they can make it happen  :up:

Edited by Anja, 31 May 2018 - 17:25.

#50 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 977 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 19:07

Is it too early to start part one of the Fernando vs Marco threads?