* * * * - 2 votes

2019 IndyCar Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
1830 replies to this topic

#51 kapow

kapow

• 924 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 19:20

Do we think Marco will have a full time drive for as long as he wants? He's actually improved this season.

He's obviously decent at Indy.

Advertisement

#52 sblick

sblick

• 793 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 20:53

Marco usually does well up to Indy and then falters.  Let's see how he completes the season.  It is usually remarkable that he stays around top 10 in championship

#53 Frood

Frood

• 2,472 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 21:36

Here some statistics of DW12-era Marco (mainly average finishes and final championship position)

XniLWlN.png

The outlier is obviously 2013, where he was the best Andretti in the championship (we need that Marco back). Since 2013, he has only beaten a full-time team-mate twice (Hinchcliffe in 2014, Munoz in 2015). Marco was arguably unlucky in 2015 to finish behind Hunter-Reay as his average finish was actually better. He is doing better than VEACH this year, but he is a rookie.

Since Marco last had a podium, the team have scored 22. More worringly for Marco, he hasn't had a win in the DW12 era.

In conclusion, maybe Marco doesn't quite warrant the bashing we (me especially) give him; but he's not been setting the world on fire either.

Edited by Frood, 31 May 2018 - 21:37.

#54 kapow

kapow

• 924 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 21:49

Here some statistics of DW12-era Marco (mainly average finishes and final championship position)

XniLWlN.png

The outlier is obviously 2013, where he was the best Andretti in the championship (we need that Marco back). Since 2013, he has only beaten a full-time team-mate twice (Hinchcliffe in 2014, Munoz in 2015). Marco was arguably unlucky in 2015 to finish behind Hunter-Reay as his average finish was actually better. He is doing better than VEACH this year, but he is a rookie.

Since Marco last had a podium, the team have scored 22. More worringly for Marco, he hasn't had a win in the DW12 era.

In conclusion, maybe Marco doesn't quite warrant the bashing we (me especially) give him; but he's not been setting the world on fire either.

I was as mystified as anyone by him still having a drive prior to this season, other than the obvious.

He's had his best start to a season since 2014 and probably his 5th best season start of his 13 year IndyCar career. He's still only 10th in the championship, so he's not exactly amazing, but it's an improvement.

#55 Dolph

Dolph

• 6,945 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:05

Penske said 2019 is going to be his 50th year at Indy 500 and he is going for it. 

https://youtu.be/NhQ5HKEqqGU?t=2m32s

When talking about the 2019 Indy 500: "I'm putting it down right now, I'm going for 18 (18th victory at the Indy 500)... I know that means something..."

It looked like he was not just talking smack, but that he really meant it. But what does it mean other than that he is gonna have 4 cars of Power, Newgarden, Pagenaud and Castroneves? More resources dedicated? What?

#56 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 977 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:17

^ That would be a 36% win rate.

#57 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,556 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:54

RLL seems cool on the addition of McLaren now. https://racer.com/20...ams-at-detroit/

#58 Afterburner

Afterburner

• 6,285 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:18

Penske said 2019 is going to be his 50th year at Indy 500 and he is going for it.

https://youtu.be/NhQ5HKEqqGU?t=2m32s

When talking about the 2019 Indy 500: "I'm putting it down right now, I'm going for 18 (18th victory at the Indy 500)... I know that means something..."

It looked like he was not just talking smack, but that he really meant it. But what does it mean other than that he is gonna have 4 cars of Power, Newgarden, Pagenaud and Castroneves? More resources dedicated? What?

Six cars with Montoya and Ricky Taylor? I mean, if Andretti could afford it...

#59 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,410 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:38

Penske could try to run 33 cars to bump out the rest of the field...  :lol:

Advertisement

#60 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:24

Six cars with Montoya and Ricky Taylor? I mean, if Andretti could afford it...

Totally. And I am still in disbelief that Ganassi only ran TWO!  :down:

#61 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,131 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:25

and not that fast...

they wanted to reduce to 2 cars to get stronger. But that isn't working out...

#62 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,888 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:28

and not that fast...
they wanted to reduce to 2 cars to get stronger. But that isn't working out...

Dixon's keeping Ganassi in the championship, and his engineering crew will figure out the new aero kit sooner or later.

We have no idea how they'd be doing if they were still a four-car team!

#63 sopa

sopa

• 11,302 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 12:44

Do we think Marco will have a full time drive for as long as he wants? 

Looks like he can keep a drive as long as there is a team called Andretti.

A bit of nepotism, but what can you do.

#64 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,131 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 17:11

what I understand is that McLaren has to run a car with another team in 2019 and 2020 because the F1 contract isn't allowing McLaren to run a team in a different formula series than Formula 1.

#65 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 7,642 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 17:32

what I understand is that McLaren has to run a car with another team in 2019 and 2020 because the F1 contract isn't allowing McLaren to run a team in a different formula series than Formula 1.

Renault and FE?

#66 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,888 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 17:43

Each team has negotiated their own separate deal with F1, remember. The Concorde Agreement is long dead.

#67 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,932 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 17:44

I’ve never heard of such a contract.

#68 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 977 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 05:15

If the agreement dates back to the Ecclestone/Dennis era I’m not surprised. Ecclestone would have wanted to lock down McLaren and Dennis would have been susceptible to preferential treatment à la Ferrari. So there would have been motivation to bribe and eagerness to accept said bribe.

Edited by SlipLtd, 03 June 2018 - 05:17.

#69 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,131 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 13:13

I’ve never heard of such a contract.

auto, motor and sport wrote the same this week.

McLaren will an die gute, alte Zeit anknüpfen. Zu Beginn der 70er-Jahre war der englische Rennstall in der Formel 1, der IndyCar-Serie, der Can-Am und der Formel 2 unterwegs. Jetzt soll es wieder Pläne geben, in der IndyCar-Serie und der Langstrecken-WM anzutreten. IndyCar könnte sogar schon für 2019 eine Option sein, in Partnerschaft mit einem bestehenden Team. Als selbständiger Teilnehmer darf McLaren frühestens mit Ablauf des Concorde Abkommens in den USA antreten. Momentan darf kein Team in einer anderen Monoposto-Serie als der Formel 1 anzutreten. Die Expansionspläne sind als Antwort auf eine Budgetdeckelung in der Formel 1 gedacht. McLaren kann seine derzeit 680 Mitarbeiter nur halten, wenn man sie auf neue Projekte verteilt. Seit Mitte Mai hat McLaren außerdem einen neuen Aktionär. Michael Latifi, Besitzer einer kanadischen Lebensmittelkette, hat für rund 230 Millionen Euro Anteile gekauft. Die neue Aktienverteilung: Bahrain Mumtalakat (56%), Mansour Ojjeh (14%), Latifi (10%). Der Rest ist Streubesitz.

#70 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,932 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 13:20

Cannot understanden ze posten.

#71 Frood

Frood

• 2,472 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 13:26

My fairly basic German works it out as the Concorde agreement currently forbids the team to compete in other single-seater series and they need to wait for the agreement to lapse. I’m sure a native speaker can expand on this though.

Edited by Frood, 03 June 2018 - 13:27.

#72 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 2,757 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 13:33

What would the motivation have been for such an agreement? If it was for maintaining the exclusivity of the Formula One brand, as they were always seemingly keen to do, seems like a gaping loophole if a partnership with another team can get you around it.

#73 FLB

FLB

• 8,402 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 13:36

My fairly basic German works it out as the Concorde agreement currently forbids the team to compete in other single-seater series and they need to wait for the agreement to lapse. I’m sure a native speaker can expand on this though.

Same.

#74 FLB

FLB

• 8,402 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 13:38

What would the motivation have been for such an agreement? If it was for maintaining the exclusivity of the Formula One brand, as they were always seemingly keen to do, seems like a gaping loophole if a partnership with another team can get you around it.

It may explain the whole Renault/Nissan FE kerfuffle. When was the last Concorde signed?

#75 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 13:57

It may explain the whole Renault/Nissan FE kerfuffle. When was the last Concorde signed?

Yeah, interesting.  Perhaps the team being "eDAMS", and not "Renault", got around that problem in a similar way, though.  How about Mercedes...?

Either way, the loophole obviously exists, and for all intents and purposes, people will see "McLaren" compete, like they did in the 2017 Indy 500 - in their livery, as a British entry, and referred to as McLaren-Honda(-Andretti as an afterthought)  :lol:

#76 FLB

FLB

• 8,402 posts

Posted 03 June 2018 - 14:04

Yeah, interesting.  Perhaps the team being "eDAMS", and not "Renault", got around that problem in a similar way, though.  How about Mercedes...?

I think you have it. Mercedes will be HWA AG.

#77 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 11:28

Anybody heard any rumors about McLaren's talks with IndyCar teams this past weekend in Detroit?

#78 H0R

H0R

• 1,469 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 14:23

Only some stuff on Autoweek:

http://autoweek.com/...phase-continues

#79 prommer

prommer

• 1,660 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 18:38

Damn it, The Captain himself putting the kibosh on my dreams of a Penske-McLaren Alonso/Montoya mash up. WHY must reality be so cruel.  ):

Advertisement

#80 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,556 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:44

Don't say I didn't tell ya.
Jp

#81 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 03:48

Interesting that Rahal seems to be interested in teaming up, but apparently McLaren isn't...  After Ganassi, I would consider them the prime candidates, especially when they already have ambitions to expand to 3 cars next year.

#82 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,556 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:05

Back to the Heat are ya ?

#83 teejay

teejay

• 5,487 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:09

Marco kinda showed at up Detroit, then faded slowly but surely. 

if his last name wasn't Andretti he would be their backup driver for their transporter. 

#84 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 12:47

Marco kinda showed at up Detroit, then faded slowly but surely. 

if his last name wasn't Andretti he would be their backup driver for their transporter. 

If he had sponsorship, Marco would be a decent Kimball/Chilton-like option for one of the new teams.  Nothing spectacular, but an OK driver with experience who can do a decent job for a rear midfield team, and occasional flashes of speed.  His problem is that he "HAS TO" drive for Andretti, and the expectations are just higher there.

Back to the Heat are ya ?

Credit where credit is due, RHR winning deserves him back as my avatar.  For now!  Let's see what Texas brings us!

#85 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 654 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:50

I'm still a bit confused by this.what are they doing there then, if they are still forbidden? And how did they get away with doing Indy last year?
I wonder then, if all of this restructuring of their company is somehow helping them sidestep this legal barrier?

Either way, just bring it on!

I'm finding the commentary a bit wooden I have to say, which is a shame, because the racing is great and the rookies in particular have been outstanding so far. I miss Paul Page.

Maybe f McLaren and Alonso go there, Sky TV might do a shownfor UK and bring Ben Edwards back.

Edited by Loosenut, 06 June 2018 - 08:50.

#86 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,932 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:01

Last year Alonso's car was still entered by Andretti.

#87 Loosenut

Loosenut

• 654 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:36

Last year Alonso's car was still entered by Andretti.

Ah! So that's why they're looking for a partner?

#88 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 15,932 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:51

It would appear to be a way of getting around the apparent contractural obligation to F1. It’s also a clever way to get started in Indycar as you tap into a wealth of expertise.

#89 stewie

stewie

• 2,795 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:10

I'm finding the commentary a bit wooden I have to say, which is a shame, because the racing is great and the rookies in particular have been outstanding so far. I miss Paul Page.

Maybe f McLaren and Alonso go there, Sky TV might do a shownfor UK and bring Ben Edwards back.

Thankfully the commentary now reverts to NBCSN in the US for the rest of the season and they are light years ahead comms wise.

And BT do a fine job with Indycar in the UK so best it stays there I think.

#90 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:42

It would appear to be a way of getting around the apparent contractural obligation to F1. It’s also a clever way to get started in Indycar as you tap into a wealth of expertise.

Especially if they only run one car at first, it would be helpful to have other "half team mates" to bounce settings off of off of off of off of

#91 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 22:29

Things are looking sketchy for Brendon Hartley.  How do y'all think his chances are of showing up in IndyCar next season (or this season?), and do we even want him anymore (as in "gee, another driver who didn't make it in F1, so he decides to do IndyCar")?

I want him.  I think he's a lot better than what he was able to show so far, and he might well shine on this side of the ocean.

#92 Frood

Frood

• 2,472 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 23:13

The place for him would obviously be Ganassi, and based on Jones’ pre-Detroit form you would think that Chip would consider it. However, Ed had a cracking weekend at Detroit; if he’s looking like he’s coming to terms with Ganassi it would be silly to let him go. I don’t really know where else he’d fit on the grid. If anywhere, maybe Carpenter? Spencer Pigot isn’t exactly setting the world on fire.

#93 F1 Mike

F1 Mike

• 484 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 23:56

Hartley is clearly a fine driver. The problem with F1 is that everyone expects all new drivers to be nailing everything after only a handful of races simply because some show that it can be done.
In the days of testing week in week out the new drivers had more time to settle.
Not so now with lack of testing these days.

I think Hartley would be a good shout to get some spark back in his confidence. You don't win WEC titles if you're useless

Edited by F1 Mike, 06 June 2018 - 23:57.

#94 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 25,556 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 01:25

In F1 the car is everything.
End of...
Jp

#95 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,410 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:11

You can be a great driver and not stand out in F1. Hartley strikes me as one of those drivers. I'd definitely welcome him into IndyCar.

#96 H0R

H0R

• 1,469 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:58

It is a shame that AAR is no longer active in Indycar racing. That would have been my dream hook up for McLaren, for obvious reasons.

Edited by H0R, 07 June 2018 - 10:59.

#97 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 25,888 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:06

Hartley is great, still young, and would be a huge credit to Indycar. Let's hope they can work something out.

But who knows, he may still turn it around in F1. Toro Rosso were trying to replace Hartley with Europe's standout junior driver, not replace Hartley at all costs.

#98 king_crud

king_crud

• 3,935 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 14:32

The place for him would obviously be Ganassi, and based on Jones’ pre-Detroit form you would think that Chip would consider it. However, Ed had a cracking weekend at Detroit; if he’s looking like he’s coming to terms with Ganassi it would be silly to let him go. I don’t really know where else he’d fit on the grid. If anywhere, maybe Carpenter? Spencer Pigot isn’t exactly setting the world on fire.

Dale Coyne

#99 FLB

FLB

• 8,402 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 00:18

Graham Rahal commits to five more years of 'But Daaaaad...!' :

https://www.autospor...five-more-years

Advertisement

#100 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,415 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:24

Well, that's not a huge surprise, isn't it?  Although seeing one of the Taylor brothers leave their dad's stable for Penske...  I think Penske has a solid eye on Wickens, though... still a few years junior.  When I saw that Racer article about SPM building for a future with Wickens, I couldn't help but think that Robert may well get an offer he can't refuse elsewhere...