* * * * * 5 votes

2019 IndyCar Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2897 replies to this topic

#2251 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,146 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:34

I love how we now talk about when and not anymore about if.

Advertisement

#2252 Beri

Beri

• 1,479 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:51

Fun to see how we can get overly optimistic at times.

#2253 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:21

Can you imagine the pike of fan support when he gets back in the car on his first race back

Wow
Jp

Very much so. 

That's it:  I've decided, Robert's comeback will be at the 2019 Honda Indy Toronto!  :up:   

Make it so.

Edited by maximilian, 01 February 2019 - 14:10.

#2254 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,836 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 17:52

I want to see him back racing IndyCar full time as much as anyone, but I feel (in the words of an allegedly gay wizard) that would be optimistic to the point of foolishness. The progress he had made in the 6ish months since his crash is staggering, but I find serious expectation that he will be back at a point identical to where he was at the start of that race to be wishful thinking.

Having said that, there are some obvious caveats. I can think of no reason why IndyCar wouldn't allow him to compete in a car modified to be driven entirely with hand controls (we can debate how feasible this is). Advances in medical tech unknown to us right now could make driving a standard Dallara possible. I don't mean to be a downer, but I feel as of February 1st, 2019, the best I will let myself hope for is a Wickens cover version of Zanardi's #1 hit of completing a few quick laps at the track that stole some portion of future racing glory from him.

Edited by Andrew Hope, 01 February 2019 - 17:52.

#2255 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 23:20

Interesting perspective Hope.
Jp

#2256 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,836 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 23:46

I certainly don't rule out a full season return years down the line, but that is anyone's guess, and my point is that it was also anyone's guess and everyone guessing if he would be back for the 2019 opener literally hours before he confirmed that he was a paraplegic. I don't know anything about spinal cords, physiotherapy, Guelph, or anything else, and so I am by a wide margin the least qualified person in the world to speculate. Gun to my head, I think he'll be back in some capacity to the world of IndyCar, but this is me being extremely hopeful. I read comments both here and abroad that make it seem like a Schumacher/Panis situation, where there is what we might call a guaranteed eventual recovery to near-enough full fitness, and all I can say is I'd like to believe that too.

#2257 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 15:54

Hope, given your avatar as inspiration, I feel it's almost possible for Wickens to theoretically drive a car NOW (other injuries that might need to heal further before exposing them to more stress notwithstanding) with a hand-control system a la Monger/Zanardi, so I think with a combination of hyper-determined rehabilitation, outstanding talent for driving and car control, and utilization of various current technologies, it doesn't seem like an unrealistic goal that he'll be back racing at some point (also considering what Kubica did... which almost nobody would ever think possible originally).

I am very hopeful.

#2258 Peat

Peat

• 4,422 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 17:58

Nut and bolts question, probably more for those in the US/Canada:

WickyBobby is getting some great treatment and therapy, that's obvious. But how is it paid for? Private medical insurance?

#2259 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,048 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 18:16

I’ll bet Sam’s paying.
Jp

Advertisement

#2260 Cig35

Cig35

• 497 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 18:40

The COTA test will be streamed.
http://www.circuitof...utube-periscope

#2261 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,553 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 02:24

Hope, given your avatar as inspiration, I feel it's almost possible for Wickens to theoretically drive a car NOW (other injuries that might need to heal further before exposing them to more stress notwithstanding) with a hand-control system a la Monger/Zanardi, so I think with a combination of hyper-determined rehabilitation, outstanding talent for driving and car control, and utilization of various current technologies, it doesn't seem like an unrealistic goal that he'll be back racing at some point (also considering what Kubica did... which almost nobody would ever think possible originally).

I am very hopeful.

Indeed. While people like Zanardi and Monger are in a different situation, as every part they have left of their body, works like it should. You have an example like rallycross driver Mats Öhman, who drives RX SuperCars. In 1998 he was in a bad accident on a snowmobile, and is 95% paralyzed. No finger movement, and severly reduced muscles in his arms! 

A video in Swedish, where a former international rally guy, who is 'normal',- to put it that way, tries to drive the car

Not is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to achieve! 

Edited by Myrvold, 03 February 2019 - 02:28.

#2262 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,364 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:14

I certainly don't rule out a full season return years down the line, but that is anyone's guess, and my point is that it was also anyone's guess and everyone guessing if he would be back for the 2019 opener literally hours before he confirmed that he was a paraplegic. I don't know anything about spinal cords, physiotherapy, Guelph, or anything else, and so I am by a wide margin the least qualified person in the world to speculate. Gun to my head, I think he'll be back in some capacity to the world of IndyCar, but this is me being extremely hopeful. I read comments both here and abroad that make it seem like a Schumacher/Panis situation, where there is what we might call a guaranteed eventual recovery to near-enough full fitness, and all I can say is I'd like to believe that too.

While I'm not an expert, I do have some medical knowledge, a good portion of which was gleaned from family maladies. I at least possess enough knoweldge to know that anyone comparing the broken legs of Schumacher or Panis to a spinal cord injury is an absolute fool (and that is being kind). Other, less mild, terms come to mind.

But, I freely admit to not knowing anything about Guelph, aside from the city being prominent in early Canadian baseball history.

#2263 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,642 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:37

These names may not mean much to most here, for those that recognize them; Michael Knight has posted on twitter that Jim McGee is in bad condition due to complications after surgery for broken leg:
https://twitter.com/...202662223765504

#2264 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,117 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:12

These names may not mean much to most here, for those that recognize them; Michael Knight has posted on twitter that Jim McGee is in bad condition due to complications after surgery for broken leg:
https://twitter.com/...202662223765504

Very sorry to hear that. Here's something from Gordon Kirby about the crew chief whose CV is a who's who of Indycar. There's a good bit about the tension in 1989 between Team Penske and their customer Patrick Racing, who with Jim McGee turning the wrenches and Emmo behind the wheel regularly got the better of the team that built their cars. Anyhow, a lot of the Brits here, me included, will mostly recall McGee's name from his part in Nigel Mansell's winning season in 1993.

#2265 red stick

red stick

• 3,766 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:20

Excellent link, Risil.  Always better to shine a light . . .

#2266 FLB

FLB

• 10,152 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 14:54

Dammit, I hope McGee improves. The 50th anniversary of Mario's Indy 500 win would not be the same without him. He was a key part of that team.

#2267 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,048 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 22:14

God bless Jim McGee.
Testing starts on Friday @Laguna Seca.
Jp

#2268 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,862 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 17:01

Didja all see that the Indycar/Surfers Paradise thing is gaining momentum?

https://racer.com/20...r-indycar-race/

#2269 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,117 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 17:05

From a report filed by Nine News Gold Coast, the 18-year visit by IndyCar cost the government $217 million AUD, and returned an estimated $750 million AUD into the local economy. Provided the team assembled by Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk finds a similarly beneficial forecast, moving forward on an IndyCar round for 2020 would be possible.

And if the Surfers Paradise CART race realized a threefold return on investment, just imagine how much money an airport race would bring to the city of Cleveland! I'd say easily three Superbowls and an Amazon Headquarters.

#2270 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,213 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 21:12

From one Japanese car brand to the other. Long Beach GP title sponsor is now Acura.

https://twitter.com/...893405363998726

#2271 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,117 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 22:58

Any word on the Acura Celebrity Race? Obviously because it's 2019 they'd all have to be Youtubers and Instagram influencers but you know what Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air won it four times so it's not like things could get much worse.

#2272 prommer

prommer

• 2,372 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 23:49

Let's start the "Acura is the third manufacturer" rumors now, alongside the attached rumor that, with 2/3s of the manufacturers being under the Honda umbrella, Fernando Alonso will be banned by Honda from entering the Western hemisphere during the season.

(or start the "Cadillac is the fourth manufacturer" rumor along with Wayne Taylor Racing coming to Indycar with drives for Alonso and Kobayashi).

#2273 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:44

Let's start the "Acura is the third manufacturer" rumors now, alongside the attached rumor that, with 2/3s of the manufacturers being under the Honda umbrella, Fernando Alonso will be banned by Honda from entering the Western hemisphere during the season.

(or start the "Cadillac is the fourth manufacturer" rumor along with Wayne Taylor Racing coming to Indycar with drives for Alonso and Kobayashi).

I get the weird feeling the most likely candidate might be FiatChrysler...

#2274 prommer

prommer

• 2,372 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:20

I get the weird feeling the most likely candidate might be FiatChrysler...

Agreed, but as Fiat, or as Dodge or as Alfa Romeo?

I'd kinda prefer the last one of those.

I was really hoping for the return of Toyota.

#2275 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:01

I'm thinking they'll take the US-Alfa Romeo marketing pitch to the next level.  Not sure it would have to be Dodge, but I guess that's their "performance" division in the US.  Chrysler itself could really use a bit more attention as a car brand, they been languishing.  Then of course the intriguing possibility of Ferrari entering Indy!  :rotfl:

Suppose Ford/Cosworth would be another possibility, but kinda doubt they have the drive right now.

Maybe Hyundai-Kia would take the plunge to further try and stick it to the Japanese makers.  I been waiting for the Koreans to seriously get into the game somewhere other than WRC...

#2276 Stephane

Stephane

• 2,146 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:01

They just one the WTCR.  :clap:

#2277 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,642 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:47

Chip Ganassi Racing co-team manager Scott Harner has left the team:

https://racer.com/20...r-harner-exits/

#2278 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,642 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:49

Always better to shine a light . . .

I'll let them find their own way if interested in names and events from the past - the history of Indy Car seems to matter little to a good number posting here.

#2279 paulb

paulb

• 6,740 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:58

Chip Ganassi Racing co-team manager Scott Harner has left the team:

https://racer.com/20...r-harner-exits/

Must be a new opportunity or some sort of break. They did OK last year.  ;)

Advertisement

#2280 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:10

Wild speculation - he's going to McLaren  :wave:

#2281 red stick

red stick

• 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:10

I'll let them find their own way if interested in names and events from the past - the history of Indy Car seems to matter little to a good number posting here.

I think that "good number" is a piddling minority, the kind you get on many forums who delight in trolling their elders, and whose uninformed comments speak more about them than about us.  A link or two to educate the uninformed is easy, costs nothing, and may do a great deal to enlighten those who seek to know more about a sport their very presence here suggests they think is worth more than a little of their time.  I can assure you that beginning any post moaning about the fickle nature of youth or whatnot will change no minds and inspire no one to "find their own way," and that we're better off reaching out to the reachable.  I suspect many come here and find out a little more than they knew before, whether they post about it or not, and for those folks why shouldn't we make it easier for them to gain an appreciation for what Jim McGee, or Pat Patrick, or, to pick an example at random, Bobby Marshman, meant to the sport?  After all, the tenor of my original  comment was that it's better to shine a light than curse the darkness.  Do you really want to spend your time cursing?   ;)

Edited by red stick, 06 February 2019 - 15:17.

#2282 Peat

Peat

• 4,422 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 13:11

Annual 'why do(did) we always go to Sonoma when it looks like a dustopian nightmare instead of like this?' comment:

https://twitter.com/...909581645185024

#2283 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 13:15

I kinda liked that whole "oops, there's a giant dust cloud ahead, I wonder who went off the road" thing  :lol:

#2284 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,213 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 16:17

Annual 'why do(did) we always go to Sonoma when it looks like a dustopian nightmare instead of like this?' comment:

If Surfers gets back on the calendar (I think the question marks just got magnified a bit because the QLD state budget is about to take a significant hit due to flood recovery), this would be the perfect start to the season, round 1 in Australia (linked with Gold Coast and Adelaide swapping V8 calendar places for better weather) and then ship everything to Cali and go to Sonoma (and then come back to Laguna at the end of the season).

#2285 red stick

red stick

• 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 16:21

It's kind of entertaining that the official photo on Sonoma's Twitter page shows a great deal of brown--at least it can't be accused of playing the bait and switch.  :yawnface:

#2286 FLB

FLB

• 10,152 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 17:35

Good news, everybody! Firestone renews until 2025:

https://racer.com/20...r-through-2025/

Edited by FLB, 06 February 2019 - 17:35.

#2287 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 20:12

"Cadillac is the fourth manufacturer" rumor along with Wayne Taylor Racing coming to Indycar with drives for Alonso and Kobayashi).

Actually, there's theoretically nothing stopping GM branding some of their existing Chevy engines as Cadillac, is there?  Wouldn't count as a REAL extra manufacturer, tho.

#2288 red stick

red stick

• 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 20:28

Marshall Pruett's podcast features Mike Hull of Ganassi Racing speaking about, among other things, all the things he learned from legendary IndyCar Crew Chief Jim McGee.  Mike Hull episodes are generally pretty informative--check it out.

https://marshallprue...with-mike-hull/

#2289 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,048 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:43

https://twitter.com/...934348502790144

NBC Gold to announce streaming package for USA sometime today.

https://www.indycar....rts-Gold-launch

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 07 February 2019 - 22:09.

#2290 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,117 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:14

Any news about coverage in UK/Europe? BT again?

#2291 NorwegianRudo

NorwegianRudo

• 438 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:26

If Surfers gets back on the calendar (I think the question marks just got magnified a bit because the QLD state budget is about to take a significant hit due to flood recovery), this would be the perfect start to the season, round 1 in Australia (linked with Gold Coast and Adelaide swapping V8 calendar places for better weather) and then ship everything to Cali and go to Sonoma (and then come back to Laguna at the end of the season).

I believe Adelaide has season opener status in their contract. Don't see them giving it up.

#2292 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,213 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:28

I believe Adelaide has season opener status in their contract. Don't see them giving it up.

Damn. So an Indycar return to Gold Coast would automatically have to be a mid-October season closer then.

#2293 Frood

Frood

• 3,541 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:31

Apparently there’s rumours that O’Ward might be dropped before the start of the season; something to do with Mike Harding struggling for money as he’s going through a divorce and Pato doesn’t have the increased funds needed. This is according to a Mexican article (in Spanish): http://www.record.co...oward-en-riesgo

Would be a massive shame if Pato doesn’t have a drive after all.

#2294 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 28,117 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:36

Gosh, that would be a huge shame. Hope O'Ward makes it.

But just in case he doesn't, light up the DRACONE signal! 

#2295 red stick

red stick

• 3,766 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 14:15

. . .

But just in case he doesn't, light up the DRACONE signal! 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2296 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,566 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:17

Apparently there’s rumours that O’Ward might be dropped before the start of the season; something to do with Mike Harding struggling for money as he’s going through a divorce and Pato doesn’t have the increased funds needed. This is according to a Mexican article (in Spanish): http://www.record.co...oward-en-riesgo

so just 1 Harding car?

#2297 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,566 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:31

Kyle Kaiser to test for Juncos:

https://racer.com/20...at-laguna-seca/

#2298 Nathan

Nathan

• 4,984 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 15:59

And if the Surfers Paradise CART race realized a threefold return on investment

But Australia isnt a full flegged communist country. The ROI for the government needs to be based on tax income to find some form of accuracy. Oz governments collect 28 cents in tax revenues for every $1 of GDP. I think since most local industry supported by such events are low wage (thus low income tax), that number would be optimistic.

#2299 stewie

stewie

• 3,048 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:35

Indycar Gold pass $50 for those who sign up now, and $55 after.

Not for us Europeans, so still no news about either how we would watch practice etc / our UK TV deal in general.

https://t.co/liGWyBTQtQ?amp=1

Advertisement

#2300 maximilian

maximilian

• 4,635 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 16:36

What the hell is all that big fanfare about the Steinbrenner investment, if they can't even manage to get the cars on the grid?