* * * * * 5 votes

2019 IndyCar Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2897 replies to this topic

#201 Frood

Frood

• 3,088 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 18:09

I’m confused about Lepokémon. He doesn’t appear to be racing at all this year - he posted on his Facebook in February about testing an F3 car... and that’s it. His DriverDB entry doesn’t have him racing anywhere. Are we sure he’s even real?

Advertisement

#202 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 18:30

I’m confused about Lepokémon. He doesn’t appear to be racing at all this year - he posted on his Facebook in February about testing an F3 car... and that’s it. His DriverDB entry doesn’t have him racing anywhere. Are we sure he’s even real?

Edit:  well, there's this:  http://www.sportscar...Leguizamon.html

http://www.atlanticc...nts_VIR2018.pdf

Atlantic seems to be in even more dire straits than Indylights... 

Edited by maximilian, 25 June 2018 - 18:52.

#203 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,628 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 19:08

There's still an Atlantic championship? I assumed it had just become another championship for Mark Plourde to dominate...

Edited by Muppetmad, 25 June 2018 - 19:09.

#204 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 19:12

There's still an Atlantic championship? I assumed it had just become another championship for Mark Plourde to dominate...

Technically there is, but I am mortified to see what it has become...

#205 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,643 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 20:09

Baltazar Legerdemain? What a name.

Does he pay for his ride in gold, frankincense or myrrh?

#206 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 26,676 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 20:11

That's why he's called Legerdemain!

#207 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,993 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:43

Has this become a boutique thread ... Or what?

#208 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 977 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 04:31

Is Kanaan still up to it?

Is Pazuzu the son of Hanbi?

#209 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,664 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:42

So according to Marshall Pruett’s latest Week in Indycar, the McLaren deal is pretty much all but done. The announcement is likely to be made during the Toronto weekend as a two-car Andretti Honda partnership. They’ve allegedly offered Scott Dixon $8 million.

#210 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,993 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:46

https://racer.com/20...h-anders-krohn/

#211 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:15

It may be just a rumor, but it's hard not to get excited about even the slight possibility of a Dixon/Alonso at McLaren line-up for 2019.  I'm also thrilled to hear that apparently McLaren is looking at running 2 cars right off the bat  :love:  :love:

That said, Dixon leaving Ganassi would undoubtedly leave that organisation in dire straits, as the team is basically built around him at this point...

Edited by maximilian, 27 June 2018 - 12:16.

#212 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:25

And the 2-car McLaren speculation prompts me to post one of my over-enthusiastic car counts for 2019 - 30 full time entries, with a little luck!  :D

1	Penske
2	Penske
3	Penske
4	Foyt
5	Foyt
6	Schmidt Peterson
7	Schmidt Peterson
8	Ganassi
9	Ganassi
10	Juncos
11	Rahal
12	Rahal
13	Dale Coyne
14	Dale Coyne
15	Carpenter
16	Carpenter
17	Scuderia Corsa
18	Andretti
19	Andretti
20	Andretti
21	Andretti/Herta
22	Steinbrenner
23	Carlin
24	Carlin
25	Harding
26	Harding
27	Shank
28	Mclaren
29	Mclaren
30	Dreyer & Reinbold

Edited by maximilian, 27 June 2018 - 12:26.

#213 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,628 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:39

Ganassi's form in recent years has been quite a shock - it really has suffered since it expanded to four cars, and hasn't quite recovered even this year. Dixon seems to be dragging the car up the grid by the scruff of its neck.

#214 Anja

Anja

• 3,596 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:42

It seems McLaren are really serious about this, hopefully that means it won't just be a short-term project and they'll become an independent team with time. But I would be really surprised if Dixon agrees to their offer, maybe unless the situation at Ganassi is even worse than it seems from outside. I feel that after so many years he would need a really good reason to leave and "just" a good offer from McLaren is not enough. 

Edited by Anja, 27 June 2018 - 12:45.

#215 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 12:55

It seems McLaren are really serious about this, hopefully that means it won't just be a short-term project and they'll become an independent team with time. But I would be really surprised if Dixon agrees to their offer, maybe unless the situation at Ganassi is even worse than it seems from outside. I feel that after so many years he would need a really good reason to leave and "just" a good offer from McLaren is not enough. 

8 million is a pretty good reason, and he would probably get guarantees of other things to take him all the way through the finish of his career.  Right now, the entire weight of the Ganassi IndyCar organization rests on Dixon - and really has been, since Franchitti was forced to retire.  Other than Dixon, Ganassi has scored a grand total of ONE victory since Franchitti's departure - they would be nowhere without him.  Perhaps Dixon would look forward to being part of a larger system of cars that support each other.  Driving for a McLaren-Andretti combo could mean an alliance of as many as 7 cars running, if you throw in Steinbrenner with Colton Herta.  That's a massive pool of information and resources - couple that with the already massive resources McLaren will bring to the table, and it's a fascinating offer.

#216 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,664 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 13:29

I think Dixon is too loyal to make the move. Also, he will not get the same support base he has at Ganassi and if Alonso comes over he’ll have an almighty struggle for the team’s attention on his hands. I don’t see it happening.

Additionally, after listening to the rest of the same podcast this morning, apparently Homestead is pretty much confirmed as a replacement for Phoenix next year? Someone else tell me I wasn’t hearing things???

#217 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 14,353 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 15:53

Silly question alert; how is it decided which aero kit will be utilized at each circuit? Are the teams free to try whatever kit they want or is it decided for the whole field beforehand?

Edit: sorry to go off topic

Edited by Atreiu, 28 June 2018 - 13:49.

#218 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 16:16

I think Dixon is too loyal to make the move. Also, he will not get the same support base he has at Ganassi and if Alonso comes over he’ll have an almighty struggle for the team’s attention on his hands. I don’t see it happening.

Additionally, after listening to the rest of the same podcast this morning, apparently Homestead is pretty much confirmed as a replacement for Phoenix next year? Someone else tell me I wasn’t hearing things???

Yeah, I heard the same thing.

Valid point on Dixon.  He's basically had the team built around him for so many years now.  Wonder if the offer is only in play if Alonso does NOT come (in which case McLaren needs another star driver).  Maybe Dixon would actually relish the opportunity to face off against Alonso.   I guess we have to come to terms with that Alonso may NOT make the switch - which seems to be quite possible as well, hearing the latest talk.  Then again, he has clearly lost the joy of F1 at the moment.  But we may see something like Dixon/Vandoorne in IndyCar, and Alonso/Norris in F1  :stoned:

#219 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,643 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 16:28

It may be just a rumor, but it's hard not to get excited about even the slight possibility of a Dixon/Alonso at McLaren line-up for 2019. I'm also thrilled to hear that apparently McLaren is looking at running 2 cars right off the bat :love: :love:

That said, Dixon leaving Ganassi would undoubtedly leave that organisation in dire straits, as the team is basically built around him at this point...

The prospect of Dixon and Alonso being teammates is mouth-watering. Each has a realistic claim to be one of the top 3 in their respective fields and having them together would make a superteam that's rarely seen in today's motorsport. I'm not sure even Mansell and Andretti at Newman/Haas in 1993 could even claim to be that strong, as I'd say Mario was starting to decline in form.

ETA: Also in 1993, Senna and Michael Andretti at McLaren should have been another great lineup, but Micheal didn’t give it 100% so didn’t even give himself a chance.

Advertisement

#220 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,843 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 16:54

Silly question alert; how is it decided which aero kit will be utilized at each circuit? Are the teams free to try whatever kit they want or is it decided for the whole field beforehand?

It's mandated by indyCar. Pretty much for every circuit the teams are given a list of which setup options and aerokit pieces are allowed and which are not.

#221 sblick

sblick

• 811 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 17:53

I think all IndyCar mandates is street or oval aero.  You can put on any pieces you want or remove any.  They do mandate wing angles for oval races.  Usually only the rear wing.  At least that is my understanding

#222 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 129 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 23:19

The prospect of Dixon and Alonso being teammates is mouth-watering. Each has a realistic claim to be one of the top 3 in their respective fields and having them together would make a superteam that's rarely seen in today's motorsport. I'm not sure even Mansell and Andretti at Newman/Haas in 1993 could even claim to be that strong, as I'd say Mario was starting to decline in form.

ETA: Also in 1993, Senna and Michael Andretti at McLaren should have been another great lineup, but Micheal didn’t give it 100% so didn’t even give himself a chance.

By 1993, Mario was in a good car producing ok results. If Nigel had been paired with Michael rather than Mario it'd be a better comparison. I always felt that 1989 was Mario's last year where he could take the fight to Michael and outpace him here or there. But starting in '91, Michael really dominated his Dad.

#223 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,455 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:24

Surely Nicholas Latifi has a good chance of getting a McLaren IndyCar seat, if it's his father's investment in the company that is funding this expansion? I know that he has explicitly ruled out any F1 chance related to the investment (perhaps this would be different if he had enough Super Licence points!), but an IndyCar seat is surely a different proposition.

#224 Anja

Anja

• 3,596 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 13:06

I definitely see him being a possibility if they're going to have two cars, but not exactly as a priority choice. I mean, when they're aiming for drivers like Dixon and Alonso...

#225 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,993 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 02:33

And Scotty D ain't going nowhere.

#226 Lennat

Lennat

• 1,370 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:40

8 Million? Isn't that an absolute fortune by Indycar standards? Does anyone have some sort of idea what the top Indycar drivers make? I would have guessed like a couple million...

#227 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,119 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:43

8 Million? Isn't that an absolute fortune by Indycar standards? Does anyone have some sort of idea what the top Indycar drivers make? I would have guessed like a couple million...

Marshall Pruett kept making the point on his podcast that $8mil is enough money to run a car for nearly a full season.

#228 paulb

paulb

• 6,161 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:03

And Scotty D ain't going nowhere.

It would be a risk, given how well he works in the Ganassi team. When people speculate Dixon leaving Ganassi, surely they don't think it's Scott all by himself?

#229 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 26,676 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 11:14

Here's a good article by the Indy Star, although it's short on specifics for current drivers. The top guys are mostly paid in the low millions, although many supplement their basic salary with personal sponsorship and performance bonuses.

The article also mentions that it came out during Helio's tax trial that Penske paid Castroneves $6m a year to race in 2000-2002. Those days are gone, of course. I think Mansell was paid more than that in 1993-1994 and by the end of Michael Andretti's career I believe he was fetching $15m plus. Those days are especially gone.

Driver salaries are funny though. $8 million is a lot to pay someone but if having a top driver gives you credibility with sponsors, helps you hire a good engineering team and gives your brand the right level of exposure, who knows?

Like TennisUK in the other thread, I'm very sceptical that the numbers add up. However there's enough potential in Indycar's growth that a high-risk, high-reward speculative investment could be worthwhile. Better to get in at the ground floor, right? It's not been this cheap to set up a winning Indycar team for many years. I mean, if Dale Coyne can find the money...

#230 Radoye

Radoye

• 2,843 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:34

It appears now no McLaren in Indycar in the foreseeable future: :well:

I am also hearing that the plans for an Indycar team for 2019 - which were not Boullier's idea - have now been axed, which is good news as it would have taken away from the team's focus on F1, which is essential if McLaren is to get out of its current mess. This was largely a marketing exercise but as the core business is F1 it is much more important to get that working before diverting energy and attention elsewhere.

https://www.motorspo...saward/id/00258

#231 sopa

sopa

• 11,679 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:38

It appears now no McLaren in Indycar in the foreseeable future: :well:

https://www.motorspo...saward/id/00258

A shame.

Wonder, if Alonso could still be IndyCar-bound though? With some other team?

#232 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,643 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:43

That’s disappointing. I really wanted to see a McLaren presence in Indycar.

#233 paulb

paulb

• 6,161 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:04

It might have been easier for McLaren to recreate a culture of success in Indycar than F1.

#234 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:16

Just because Saward says something, doesn't mean it's even remotely true   ;)

#235 FLB

FLB

• 9,439 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:17

I'm not sure Alonso wants to leave F1 like that. He went to McLaren becuase he wanted to win (in F1) again. If he leaves now, he will have been unsuccessful at that. So I can definitely see him give it one more shot.

IndyCar can wait.

#236 sopa

sopa

• 11,679 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 12:20

I'm not sure Alonso wants to leave F1 like that. He went to McLaren becuase he wanted to win (in F1) again. If he leaves now, he will have been unsuccessful at that. So I can definitely see him give it one more shot.

IndyCar can wait.

How many times is he going to try though? He hasn't won a race since 2013. One day he'll have to call it a day.

Also, Alonso turns 37 soon. He can't wait too long if he is serious about winning Indy 500 and IndyCar championship.

#237 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 5,628 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 14:38

Indeed; Alonso underestimates the 500 (and the series more broadly) at his own peril. Despite the claims of some, the series is damn competitive, and even an on-form Alonso wouldn't find a title campaign in IndyCar a cake walk. Could he win it? Absolutely. Would it be a sure thing? Lol, no.

#238 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,993 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 14:51

Whatda ya mean no INDYCAR?
YOU'RE FIRED !!

https://www.mclaren....ship-structure/

Jp

#239 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,961 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 16:45

IndyCar can wait.

By doing IndyCar with McLaren, Alonso could have that back door to return to F1 if and when McLaren becomes reasonably competitive there again - something they obviously must do regardless of who drives for them.

Advertisement

#240 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,024 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 17:52

Just because Saward says something, doesn't mean it's even remotely true   ;)

That was my idea as well. Everyone can be right, but it is Mr."Joe's Award"

#241 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,830 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 20:18

An F1 journalist named Say-Word? That's like an ice cream man named Cone.

#242 king_crud

king_crud

• 4,072 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 20:45

Just because Saward says something, doesn't mean it's even remotely true  ;)

Whether he's right or wrong, either way he's still a dickhead

#243 SlipLtd

SlipLtd

• 977 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:28

My gut tells me at this point all Fern wants is the triple crown and he’s two thirds of the way there.

#244 AustinF1

AustinF1

• 12,696 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:03

My gut tells me at this point all Fern wants is the triple crown and he’s two thirds of the way there.

My gut tells me he wants more than that.

#245 Beri

Beri

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:35

How many times is he going to try though? He hasn't won a race since 2013.

So winning Le Mans equals not winning a race?

#246 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,643 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:41

So winning Le Mans equals not winning a race?

The context was obviously F1. Give it a rest.

#247 Beri

Beri

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:47

I will. But Alonso is obviously looking beyond the borders of F1. So why are his results and races limited to what he does in F1? He drives the season in WEC as well and has obviously stated that he wants a go in the Indycars as well. To me it is just clear that he will drop out of F1 sooner or later. No matter if he wins in F1 or not.

#248 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,024 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 13:34

So why are his results and races limited to what he does in F1?

Because, in other series his notable results is in a championship he'll either finish 1st or 2nd. It's not really much to write about.

Edited by Myrvold, 05 July 2018 - 20:01.

#249 Beri

Beri

• 1,132 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 14:12

I understand what youre implicating with saying this. But his racing is epic. Even when it is considered that it is a certainty that he will finish on the podium.
Take his seriously stunning stint during the night at Le Mans for example. Now, THAT will be remembered. Not his performance in that woeful orange car of him at Shanghai this season. Just to name an anonymous race of him.

I do think you can see the better of Nandos racing skill at Toyota at the moment rather than having to see him struggle and hear him shout: "Argghh Formula 2 chassis" over the board radio.

Edited by Beri, 05 July 2018 - 14:14.

#250 prommer

prommer

• 2,134 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:05

I seen it written on the internets, so it must be true!

OversteerTV @OversteerTV
FollowFollow @OversteerTV
More

F1 owners, Liberty Media $FWONK visited Indy to discuss the purchase of the #Indycar series and the Speedway #f1