* * * * * 5 votes

2019 IndyCar Silly Season

• Please log in to reply
2897 replies to this topic

#2801 rghojai

rghojai

• 758 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 18:29

With all the 500 additions, IndyCat hopes Big Handy goes nicely with A. Lotion.

0jsVDXo.jpg

Advertisement

#2802 Joseki

Joseki

• 3,101 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 18:40

https://racer.com/20...ith-coyne-byrd/

PR is out for Davison at Coyne/Byrd for the Indy 500.

That's the 33rd car on March 8th.

#2803 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 129 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 21:38

More Wickens - nice article here, makes me pull even harder for him.

https://www.motorspo...chmidt/4349342/

#2804 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,005 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 22:52

Bumping nerves surfacing
https://www.indystar...ies/3104897002/

Jp

#2805 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 129 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 23:35

Bumping nerves surfacing

Jp

Suck it up, Rog. It's part of the game.

#2806 Frood

Frood

• 3,088 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 23:39

Schmidt Peterson made a mistake last year and paid the price. It’s always been that way. I can understand where Roger is coming from in terms of commercial interest as it was one of the bigger names who lost out last year, but it’s the same for everyone.

#2807 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 2,578 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 00:45

okay guys, this weekend is going to be the first indycar race I've watched in decades (not counting the indy 500 in 2017)

You guys are the experts and people I respect, so.. tell me, who are the drivers to watch?  who are the exciting and talented guys I should keep an eye on?

#2808 paulb

paulb

• 6,165 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 00:56

okay guys, this weekend is going to be the first indycar race I've watched in decades (not counting the indy 500 in 2017)

You guys are the experts and people I respect, so.. tell me, who are the drivers to watch?  who are the exciting and talented guys I should keep an eye on?

Veterans: Rossi, Dixon, Hunter Reay, Newgarden, Pigot, Bourdais, Power, Sato

Young: Veach

Rookies: Herta, Rosenqvist

In other words, most of the field imho.

Breaking news, we are now the Atlas-Autosport league!!

Edited by paulb, 09 March 2019 - 01:05.

#2809 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,970 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:56

In an interview with Robin Miller, patOward mentioned there is a decent chance he might be running the remaining races in a 3rd Carlin car alongside Kimball and Chilton - funding pending, of course.  But since those are late in the season, I am very hopeful that his impressive performances until then will stir up some additional sponsors to cover 3 more races.

Edited by maximilian, 09 March 2019 - 03:07.

#2810 prommer

prommer

• 2,136 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:51

I answered your question in Max's new season thread, because I thought that its a great question to start that one off!

#2811 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,005 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:52

Clever man prommer.
Jp

#2812 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,648 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:59

Bumping nerves surfacing

Jp

Still bitter about 1995, Roger?

Really, it's great that the Indy 500 retains a qualifying system where everyone in the race is in on merit, on the speed they set in qualifying. As soon as you guarantee entries a start, it becomes less sporting. Perhaps Roger was still reeling from 1995 in 1996 that he doesn't remember that he refused to take part in the Indy 500 (along with all the CART teams) because they weren't on the right side of the 25/8 rule.

#2813 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 7,351 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:50

In that same boat with you Buddy.

#2814 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,648 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:16

In that same boat with you Buddy.

For you guys, Risil's OP for the St. Petersburg race (Florida, not Russia) will give you all the information you need. But the short answer is, all of them. Everyone is worth watching in Indycar.

Same old faces, some new ones

Team Penske’s lineup remains unchanged for what feels like the 200th consecutive season, with May 2018’s Will Power joined once again by the less-successful-in-2018 Josef Newgarden and Simon Pagenaud. Newgarden had to give back his #1 sticker at the end of last year, as Pagenaud did at the end of 2017, and as must we all someday. As normal, Penske are running Chevrolet motors.

penske-752x440.jpg

Next on the list of my arbitrary Indycar team pecking order is Chip Ganassi Racing, who I assume are still sponsored by NTT Data. Scott Dixon, fresh off another one of those championships when he wins loads of races mid-season, drives through a multi-car wreck unscathed and takes the title at the last round after the competition implodes, returns for yet another year with the G-Man. Dixon has been doing this for so long that at the time of his first victory he had bleached his hair unironically. Malmo’s Felix Rosenqvist has been given what some erroneously consider the dream job of being compared to Dixon every weekend. Rosenqvist has been quick in everything else he’s driven though, so I assume he’ll be fine.

02-14-Rosenqvist-On-Course-COTAOpenTest.

Third of the three important big Indycar teams is (Michael) Andretti Autosport, who have stealthily assembled an all-American line-up of Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Alexander Rossi, and Zach Veach, more or less in that order. Expect top 10 finishes, podiums, wins and hopefully more top-10s, in that order. As best as I can tell from the headshots on Indycar.com, Marco is still sponsored by US Concrete, a punchline which as far as I can tell is still waiting to land.

James Hinchcliffe returns with Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, joined at least for now by another well-travelled Swede Marcus Ericsson. In the Spring Training last month in Austin, they were pretty evenly matched, but what good is testing? Robert Wickens of course remains on the sidelines after the injuries he sustained in his airborne crash at Pocono last year.

02-14-Ericsson-On-Course-Turn12-COTAOpen

Going with unchanged lineups this year are Anthony Joseph Foyt Racing (Indycar’s favourite ziggurat-botherer Tony Kanaan plus the invisible yet pun-worthy Matheus Leist) and Rahal-Letterman-Lanigan, who have re-upped with Graham Rahal (of course) and mysterious Portland winner Takuma Sato. Also sort of sticking with the same drivers are Carlin, who at least for St Pete will be entering darling of BBC radio breakfast shows Max Chilton and Charlie Kimball, who will need to make his five races with the team count, although there’s a non-zero probability that he’ll do an Allmendinger and end them all in the wall.

Further back through the mists of recollection and Wikipedia articles? Honorary back-markers Dale Coyne Racing, now respectably if sporadically challenging for victories, are back with Sebastien Bourdais but have also yielded 17 precious Indycar starts to racing hooligan and political activist Santino Ferrucci. What could go wrong? Btw, Bourdais’s car is promoting something called Seal Master. Spencer Pigot is racing for a fourth consecutive year (are we that old?) with Ed Carpenter Racing, who are putting Ganassi ejectee Ed Jones in the car for the races where they turn right, among which are St Pete this weekend. George Costanza has convinced Mr Steinbrenner to sign up Colton Herta, son of Bryan but bafflingly not racing in his dad’s team, for a full season. Last I heard, Pato O’Ward was made to be his butler. Jack Hawksworth-Harvey will be racing for Michael Shank in one of those part-season deals, likewise Bog Hagley with a team called DragonSpeed. That’s capital D, capital S and no space in the middle. But it's hard not to be impressed by their logo, which has a letter D in the shape of a dragon breathing chequered-flag fire:

Eq9NdpHZ_400x400.jpg

That’s 24 cars on the startline, albeit without Rene Binder. But will he be missed? (Yes.)

I'd also recommend you guys subscribe to David Land's YouTube channel, as he puts up very informative videos on US racing.

#2815 noriaki

noriaki

• 1,088 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:27

The others have already weighed in with their positive newbie advice on the personalities, so I'll weigh in with some general stuff for a newbie (and especially a slightly-disillusioned-with-F1 refugee like you two) to consider.

1) The amount of Advertisements is...insane. We just have to deal with it. Seriously. You will get used to it. We did.

2) Unlike in modern european single seater racing the American racetracks actually punish drivers for mistakes. And they throw a Full Course Yellow for most mistakes, so the total amount of them may be equally, well, insane. (And the recovery might be very slow.) The series also retains refueling which is why fuel saving plays a part, however the Firestone rubber takes pushing much better than its F1 counterpart so there shouldn't be much tyre saving at least.

But anyway, since strategy plays a big part, an unfortunate timing of a FCY may throw the race around and your favorite might have lead the first 80 laps but then Sato thinks lapping Kimball round the outside is a good idea and after the pitstop cycle your favorite will suddenly find himself restarting from P12, with some lucky schmuck who was still yet to pit now leading. Something which the purists may not like. Though there's also the possibility we won't see any FCY's and the full race is pure. I can't tell you yet. It's a bit track dependent, St Pete is a bit on the FCY'ey side but you never know for sure with IndyCar. See point 3. 

3) The diversity of the venues in the series is probably the BEST thing. You have some brilliant, fast flowing road courses in Barber, Elkhart Lake, Portland, Indy Improved Road Course and now even COTA. Punishing, bumpy street circuits in St Pete, Toronto, Belle Isle and Long Beach. A couple of short ovals in Iowa and Gateway, a midsize in Texas, and a duo of crazy fast ovals in Pocono and Indy. So, even if you can become disillusioned with the boredom/crazy chaos/Will Power start-to-finish showdown/whatever the race in St Pete will turn out to be, do come back for the next race because it will be completely different again. The first few races are on road courses, but the ovals are a different breed altogether and the race "lives" in a very different way. Each track in the series has a unique character, no two races will be the same, events will unfold that nobody could ever script and therefore pretty much anyone can end up winning a single race with a lot of luck. But to win a championship in the series? One has to be mastering all these types of racing, all types of situations, be suave with the special, unexplicable breed of Indycar drama, know chaos like the back of his hand, understand how to control the unexpected and that's why Scott Dixon wins one in every 2 championships but it's close every time. 

So welcome aboard. Start by watching the races, pick a favourite driver/team/commentator and get invested with them if need be to retain interest. Because -- despite some of these aforementioned..."features" that might drive a demanding newbie off -- if you give the series your time, you WILL grow to love it. You will find the series retains some beautiful things about motorsport that you probably thought were long lost (Like - Actual overtaking! Wheel-to-wheel racing! Unspoiled, pure racetracks! Endearing characters! Close races! Tight championship! And also, while it can rip our hearts out and give the worst moments any motorsport fan would ever wish to see - also the feeling that the drivers are truly taking it edge at the fast ovals & putting their lives at stake in front of us fans out there...), and that the Indycar gods tend to give us dramatic, happy, joyful, true feel-good moments at a rate that no other series will ever have come close to. Just listen to Sato and Will Power scream their lungs out into their helmets after winning the 500 because it really is that brilliant. 

Edited by noriaki, 09 March 2019 - 12:30.

#2816 FLB

FLB

• 9,441 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 12:57

More Wickens - nice article here, makes me pull even harder for him.

https://www.motorspo...chmidt/4349342/

#2817 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,664 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 16:08

EPIC POST

In addition to all of the excellent points noriaki has made, all it takes is one look at his avatar for why you sometimes won’t mind seeing a FCY appear. :p

#2818 prommer

prommer

• 2,136 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 18:15

Yeah, to re-emphasize one of Noriaki's excellent points for the newbies, try not to freak out about the length of the FCY. Remember that at least once during a race, especially street/road courses, that they will extend the caution because they're sweeping the track for marbles.  There's always a lot of clag (hi David Hobbs!) in Indycar races. Tire degradation, on both the blacks and the reds, is an integral part of Indycar racing -- it's what allows strategies to work out when you've all got basically the same car.

It's also entirely possible that this happens: crash, FCY flags drop, they clear up the debris, they bunch the cars up, they open the pits for the lead lap cars, then they open the pits for the lapped cars, race control reviews video to make changes to the running order in case anyone was naughty, the sweepers are sent out to deal with the clag, then they get ready to go green only to realize that the TV broadcasters are still in commercial and they have to go one more lap under yellow.  By the time it's over 10 minutes or more have passed. It happens.  It is what it is. I think most people in here are used to it by now, but every now and then someone gets in the chat complete incensed about the yellows and we're all like ... yeah, you're new here aren't you...

Remember, yellow breeds yellow, in the sense that it's a perfect time to go take care of one's ablutions...  :stoned:

#2819 DS27

DS27

• 3,254 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 21:37

When watching the races live, I find being on the relevant Indycar thread helps the time during yellows fly by.

Advertisement

#2820 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,005 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 22:04

Are we closing this one or what?
The other seems to be full of cavemen.

Jp

#2821 FLB

FLB

• 9,441 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 01:26

Trevor Carlin:

'It will be win-win (with McLaren at Indy) :

https://www.autohebd...ant-201488.html (en français)

Edited by FLB, 10 March 2019 - 01:37.

#2822 paulb

paulb

• 6,165 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 02:14

Fantasy league full rules and points are at https://www.fantrax....dw7vk3ujsxg07em

#2823 prommer

prommer

• 2,136 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:09

Are we closing this one or what?
The other seems to be full of cavemen.

Jp

But what if I want to remain Silly?

3Hj8.gif

#2824 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,422 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 21:38

33 drivers already confirmed

1) Scott Dixon (Ganassi)
2) Felix Rosenqvist (Ganassi)
3) Alexander Rossi (Andretti)
4) Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti)
5) Marco Andretti (Andretti/Herta)
6) Zach Veach (Andretti)
7) Conor Daly (Andretti)
8) Will Power (Penske)
9) Josef Newgarden (Penske)
10) Simon Pagenaud (Penske)
11) Hélio Castroneves (Penske)
12) Sébastien Bourdais (Dale Coyne/Vasser Sullivan)
13) Santino Ferrucci (Dale Coyne)

14) James Davison (Dale Coyne/Byrd/Hollinger/Belardi)
15) Graham Rahal (Rahal Letterman Lanigan)
16) Takuma Sato (Rahal Letterman Lanigan)
17) Jordan King (Rahal Letterman Lanigan)
18) James Hinchcliffe (Schmidt Peterson)
19) Marcus Ericsson (Schmidt Peterson)
20) Jack Harvey (Meyer Shank/Schmidt Peterson)

21) Oriol Servia (Schmidt Peterson)
22) Spencer Pigot (Carpenter)
23) Ed Carpenter (Carpenter)
24) Ed Jones (Carpenter/Scuderia Corsa)
25) Tony Kanaan (Foyt)
26) Matheus Leist (Foyt)
27) Max Chilton (Carlin)
28) Charlie Kimball (Carlin)

29) Patricio O'Ward (Carlin)

30) Fernando Alonso (McLaren/Carlin)

31) Kyle Kaiser (Juncos)

32) Sage Karam (Dreyer-&-Reinbold)

33) JR Hildebrand (Dreyer-&-Reinbold)
34) Colton Herta (Harding/Steinbrenner)
35) Ben Hanley (DragonSpeed)

36) Pippa Mann (Clauson/Marshall)

Edited by HistoryFan, 11 March 2019 - 19:59.

#2825 red stick

red stick

• 3,176 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:00

You spelled Hanley correctly. Who are you, and what have you done with HistoryFan?  ;)

#2826 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,970 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 00:24

Since we are all deliberately butchering Hank Binley's name now, he HAS to buck the trend!

But I must reprimand for incorrect VEACH protocol!  That is just not done!  :down:

#2827 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 2,819 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:56

33 drivers already confirmed

21) Orio Servia

Of all the mangled spellings this one just about takes the biscuit

#2828 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,664 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 13:12

Of all the mangled spellings this one just about takes the biscuit

I've got my milk puns locked and loaded in case he wins the 500 this year.

#2829 paulb

paulb

• 6,165 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 13:32

Hopefully, they won't be past their expiration dates. :p

#2830 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,422 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 19:44

Juncos confirms one car for Indy, most likely Kyle Kaiser driving.

https://racer.com/20...indy-500-entry/

So that makes 34 cars confirmed. Possible also Servia at Schmidt Peterson and Hildebrand in a second Dreyer-&-Reinbold car. But I doubt that both will happen. So most likely 34 cars at Indy.

1) Scott Dixon (Ganassi)
2) Felix Rosenqvist (Ganassi)
3) Alexander Rossi (Andretti)
4) Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti)
5) Marco Andretti (Andretti/Herta)
6) Zach Veach (Andretti)
7) Conor Daly (Andretti)
8) Will Power (Penske)
9) Josef Newgarden (Penske)
10) Simon Pagenaud (Penske)
11) Hélio Castroneves (Penske)
12) Sébastien Bourdais (Dale Coyne/Vasser Sullivan)
13) Santino Ferrucci (Dale Coyne)

14) James Davison (Dale Coyne/Byrd/Hollinger/Belardi)
15) Graham Rahal (Rahal Letterman Lanigan)
16) Takuma Sato (Rahal Letterman Lanigan)
17) Jordan King (Rahal Letterman Lanigan)
18) James Hinchcliffe (Schmidt Peterson)
19) Marcus Ericsson (Schmidt Peterson)
20) Jack Harvey (Meyer Shank/Schmidt Peterson)

21) Oriol Servia (Schmidt Peterson)
22) Spencer Pigot (Carpenter)
23) Ed Carpenter (Carpenter)
24) Ed Jones (Carpenter/Scuderia Corsa)
25) Tony Kanaan (Foyt)
26) Matheus Leist (Foyt)
27) Max Chilton (Carlin)
28) Charlie Kimball (Carlin)

29) Patricio O'Ward (Carlin)

30) Fernando Alonso (McLaren/Carlin)

31) Kyle Kaiser (Juncos)

32) Sage Karam (Dreyer-&-Reinbold)

33) JR Hildebrand (Dreyer-&-Reinbold)
34) Colton Herta (Harding/Steinbrenner)
35) Ben Hanley (DragonSpeed)

36) Pippa Mann (Clauson/Marshall)

#2831 prommer

prommer

• 2,136 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 20:46

HistoryFan still thinks it's silly season.

#2832 stewie

stewie

• 2,997 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 20:55

Personally I'm under a reasonably strong impression Servia and Hildebrand will be announced soon, so I'm relatively confident there will be 36 cars trying to qualify.

(All just my 2 cents)

#2833 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,648 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 20:56

HistoryFan still thinks it's silly season.

Indycar silly season doesn't end until the 500 due to all the extra entries.

Don't know how long this will last with the top teams trying to bring back the 25-8 rule. Poachers turned gamekeepers indeed.

#2834 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,005 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 21:09

You’ve been listening to that internet guy again PAYR....
Jp

#2835 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,648 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 21:14

I guess you have too or you won't know what he's said.

But we were talking about it in the other thread.

Floyd takes Roger’s side when it comes to full-time entries being guaranteed a spot in the 500:

https://eu.indystar....day/3472899002/

As I said before, can understand the argument - doesn’t mean I agree in the slightest.

#2836 bargeboard

bargeboard

• 129 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 21:48

Definitely no need to dip into those until he wins.

#2837 prommer

prommer

• 2,136 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 22:20

Personally I'm under a reasonably strong impression Servia and Hildebrand will be announced soon, so I'm relatively confident there will be 36 cars trying to qualify.

(All just my 2 cents)

Robin Miller seemed to be confident of the 36 number as well.

#2838 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,005 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 00:42

I guess you have too or you won't know what he's said.

But we were talking about it in the other thread.

Oh yeah I listen to Land.
He’s bright and presents his opinions really well.
I had a nice chat with him at Road Atlanta during Petit LeMans.

But his brief is relaying what’s out there and reacting to what he has heard.

I guarantee you #fastest33 will win out as Miles and Hulman Co. have TRADITION in their remit.

Jp

#2839 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,648 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 07:51

I hope so. It's not just about tradition though. It adds extra drama and excitment to the event and it has greater sporting integrity.

One of the reasons I never fully warmed to NASCAR was how certain drivers would be automatically qualified based purely on their status.

Advertisement

#2840 loki

loki

• 5,513 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 02:27

It will be Anton and his sisters making any sort of decision on changing the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race to include provisional entries.  Miles is a big force for sure but in the end it's the family that has the say.  Floyd and Rent-a-Truck Rog aren't going anywhere even if their drivers don't get locked in spots.  It's pretty rare that a full season car doesn't make the big show.  In the cases where they don't, like with Hinch, a lot fo the time it's due to stupid calls about going out or which line to get into.  With all the resources those two teams have there is ZERO reason for them not to make the race.  If they can't race their way in they need to be looking in the mirror and not for a hand out.

#2841 rghojai

rghojai

• 758 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 17:56

iddpeGS.jpg

#2842 FLB

FLB

• 9,441 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 18:17

It's somewhere on UseNet, but even some of the guys who benefited form 25/8 thought it was crass. On rec.autos.Indy, then IRL team-owner Allan Pagan called it a 'wart' on the 500. Roger Penske was so against the idea that he gave his blessing to the competing US 500, something he has called a mistake on his part. If Penske had not been against 25/8, he would have understood the idea behind it and his cars would have been entered in the Indy 500.

They weren't.

Any sort of guaranteed starting sport takes away from the 500. It demeans the efforts required to just making it.

#2843 loki

loki

• 5,513 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 19:55

Go Willy T!!

The US 500 at the time seemed like a good idea but it didn't take too long before it was more like "what were we thinking?"

#2844 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,005 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 21:40

Lap1 was the original ‘it’s gone full Indycar’.
Jp

#2845 djparky

djparky

• 798 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:46

Jp

Yeah I remember that, not the CART series finest moment!!

#2846 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 17,648 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:34

Jp

Indeed. Or was it, "Indycar's fully gone?"

#2847 B Squared

B Squared

• 5,548 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:47

Indy 1966 and 1973 weren't bright moments either.

#2848 Stephane

Stephane

• 1,954 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:58

Jp

More like Lap0, but yeah

#2849 FLB

FLB

• 9,441 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:34

Indy 1966 and 1973 weren't bright moments either.

1958 as well.

#2850 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 27,005 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 14:44

More like Lap0, but yeah

You’re right it was the lap BEFORE green.
Jp