Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

102nd Indianapolis 500: race thread [full race broadcast in the OP]

• Please log in to reply
1434 replies to this topic

Poll: What's going to happen? (95 member(s) have cast votes)

Prediction

1. Fourth victory for Helio (8 votes [8.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.42%

2. AJ Foyt spends 60th Indy 500 in Victory Lane (7 votes [7.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.37%

3. Rossi wins from the last row (10 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. Danica wins her last motor race (23 votes [24.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.21%

5. Indiana's Ed Carpenter wins as a driver-owner (21 votes [22.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.11%

6. I would prefer something non-romantic to happen (26 votes [27.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,887 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 22:24

160529ICSStat-of-race_DSC_7233.jpg

Hark! Wednesday dawneth and Indianapolis Motor Speedway is silent with the quiet activities of grass growing, geese landing, money counting and no track action. No doubt, though, that the city of Indianapolis’s hotel suites, TV green rooms and premium car dealerships are humming with complaints about car handling, inadequate qualifying procedures, James Davison and various other surface details that are only significant because this is the race that matters.

Car handling is an issue. The beloved new aero package, with its sleek lines and absence of carbon rear wheel blobs, has scattered and confused the Indycar field like a gaggle of ducklings before an aggressive pigeon. It was an issue for championship luminaries like James Hinchcliffe and Alex Rossi, one missing out on the race and the other fortunate not to, and drivers up and down the paddock tell anyone with a microphone that passes and front-ends will have to be fought for, and anyone outside the top six with 50 laps to go might as well start thinking about how to get a good parking space at Detroit next week.

But the competition in the first three rows is intense. From three-time pole sitter Ed Carpenter to three-time race winner Helio Castroneves. The top ten, and probably quite a few others, are potential winners. There are four Indianapolis rookies in the top 20. Kelly Clarkson is going to sing the national anthem. There’s plenty to occupy us as the laps tick away towards the end of the race and eventually our own demises.

So clear your Sunday, meditate on the lyrics or perhaps just the notes of Back Home Again in Indiana, and think about the novel and surprising structures and territories that could fit inside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. IT'S INDY BABY.

gPrpqLG.jpg

Look at the issue date. IT'S A SIGN.

Schedule
Just the two days of Indycar running left for this year’s festivities, although all seven(?) Indy Lights drivers will be pootling around on Thursday for practice and qualifying. The important stuff (and some more Indy Lights stuff) is below.

Carb Day: Friday, 25 May
11am-12: Indycar practice
12.30pm: Indy Lights Freedom 100
1.30-3.30: Pit Stop Challenge

Race Day: Sunday, 27 May
6am: Speedway open to public
9.30: Cars to pit lane
10.15: Cars to grid
11: ABC broadcast begins (singing, cliches, the blowing-up of balloons)
12.14pm: Start your engines everyone
12.21: Indy 500 GO!!!

Spotter’s guide

Grid
Track map

Who’s competing? Find out below.

Row One
Pole position on Sunday went for the third time to Ed Carpenter Racing’s proprietor, founder, team leader, mascot and general inspiration Ed Carpenter. His pole speed of 229.618 was about a mile an hour quicker than Penske teammates Simon Pagenaud and Will Power. No one on this front row has won the Indy 500 before, but then again, no one has won the Indy 500 from the front row since 2010. It’s still probably better to qualify on the front row than not.

usa_today_10844338.0.jpg

Row Two
Last year’s second row contained two F1 world championships, 32 Grand Prix wins and one British F3 championship. This one contains a mere five top-level American open-wheel championships, although it does still possess a driver who has raced and won at Snetterton in Josef Newgarden. Newgarden has the dishonour of being the slowest full-time Penske driver in the field, although he still gets to lead around Coyne’s Sebastien Bourdais and Ed Carpenter’s teammate Spencer Pigot, who won the 2015 Indy Lights championship and seems only to have resurfaced this month.

Row Three
We’re now getting far enough into the pack for the dirty air, if only you could see it, to resemble more a Jackson Pollock than a Mark Rothko. Leading the third row into air vortex hell is Ed Carpenter Racing’s third-in-speed but second-in-popularity Danica Patrick, who may have a car to win. Indycar titans and sometime CART refugees Helio Castroneves and Scott Dixon line up eighth and ninth. They should be in contention to win, unless they drive over a plastic bag or Jay Howard, two things that have happened to Scott Dixon in recent editions.

indycar-indy-500-2017-scott-dixon-chip-g

Row Four
Both Foyt drivers start on row four, as Tony Kanaan and Matheus Leist driving very fast for a team whose cars in recent years have rarely been inclined to to cooperate. TK and AJ returning to Victory Lane, on the 60th anniversary of Foyt’s first race at the Speedway, could only be topped by the Second Coming of Christ literally happening on Gasoline Alley. Marco Andretti, starting on the outside of the fourth row, would also be an emotional winner but c’mooooon.

Row Five
Row five contains the mixedest lot of Indycar drivers you ever saw. On the inside is Dale Coyne’s last minute replacement cum regular driver Zachary Choctaw de Mescalero, in the middle is Andretti Autosport’s Ryan Hunter-Reay, and on the outside is Charlie Kimball, who has taken the Carlin team to the unfamiliar reaches of the top 50 percent of the grid. It might not last.

Row Six
Reigning Indy 500 champion and Snetterton expert Takuma Sato leads the somewhat unglorious row six, ready to spring to the front or indeed to the back depending on what the situation requires. He’s still been Bobby Rahal’s quickest car this month. Kyle Kaiser, reigning Indy Lights champion and possessor of a really cool name, put the sole Juncos entry in the middle of the row, and Robert Wickens occupies the outside. Wickens has not set Indiana alight but has at least bloody qualified.

sato-1-e1519416488781.jpg?w=610&h=343&cr

Row Seven
A potential winner on row seven, did you say? I wasn’t thinking of the fearless, friendless James Davison, whose Foyt entry is supported by the kaleidoscopic nomenclature of Byrd-Hollinger-Belardi, or indeed Max Chilton, Carlin’s second entry and 2017’s determined but ultimately unsuccessful race leader, not that we didn’t all make preliminary bargains with Satan to give his pursuers the speed and courage to overtake. No, I’m talking about twice-near-missed and back-with-Andretti Carlos Munoz, who starts 21st but would be madness to rule out. He also finished tenth last year, which given the performance of his Foyt team last season was probably a showing to match his many second places.

Row Eight
Row eight is that uncanny valley of the Indy 500 grid, set between the fast and competitive regular entries and the charmingly disastrous qualifying efforts of the back two rows. Who better to lead this row round the pace laps than Harding’s Gabby Chaves, endower of a cottage industry of paddock talkers who point out to us unobservant idiots that he’s performed above-averagely yet again. Who joins him? Why, none other than nearly-started-in-last-year’s-race Stefan Wilson, and chaos avatar Sage Karam.

Row Nine
By this time, the qualifying speeds are much more James Hinchcliffe than Ed Carpenter. Leading the row with a not-too-comfortable 225.748 mph is Andretti’s Zach Veach, who according to Wikipedia is a published author. Joining him are mechanical engineering graduate Oriol Servia and fellow brainbox J.R. Hildebrand, who in 2006 did to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology what Tiger Woods did to Stanford and turned down their degree programme in favour of the illustrious, trophy-filled sports career laid out before him. Will JR win trophy number one on Sunday? Well, he might. Disclaimer: this photo is indeed still what comes up first on Google.

YINDY1-jumbo.jpg
Row Ten
Leading the second-worst row around the pace laps is the event horizon of Scott Dixon’s 2017 race, Schmidt Peterson’s Jay Howard. Then it’s Ed Jones, whose slow season in a fast car (or should that be fast season in a slow car?) continues with an inauspicious 29th place start. Rounding out the tenth row is the dough-faced Ohioan Graham Rahal, who secured his place in the show after a scary month with an average speed of 225.327 mph.

Row Eleven
The three drivers who took “concentrating on the race” to its logical extreme are Meyer-Shank-Schmidt-Peterson’s Jack Harvey, Andretti Autosport’s championship contender (and 2016’s rookie winner) Alexander Rossi and final Coyne entrant and son-of-Derek Conor Daly. None of them would be likely to thank you for reminding them that the Indy 500 has been almost won from the eleventh row as recently as 1992.

Not making the field, and watching from their gigantic, gold-fitted homes surrounded by beautiful, supportive people, are Pippa Mann and the luckless and soon-to-be former 2018 championship contender James Hinchcliffe. Are they screaming inside? We’ll never know.

Edit: watch the race BELOW

Advertisement

#2 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 22:32

Looking forward to the race, good overview! :up:

No mention of Alonso? Well played! :cool:

I'm rooting for a D. Patrick win, just because it'd be one heck of a story.

Also fine with pretty much everything else so long as they keep the green laps above... say, 170 or so.

#3 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 22:33

"Car handling is an issue"

Long story short, overtaking will be very difficult?

#4 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 22:33

Great op Risil.

Been waiting a whole year for this

Carb Day: Friday, 25 May

1.30-3.30: Pit Stop Challenge

And the 500 of course  :clap: Looking forward to see what Bourdais can do to stop the Chevys.

#5 teejay

teejay

• 6,196 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 22:34

Could not vote for a Montoya win so gave up after that.... 

Great op and bring on one of the great races in motorsport. 

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,887 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 22:37

"Car handling is an issue"

Long story short, overtaking will be very difficult?

Tony Kanaan says it will be, especially further back in the back. The frame of reference at recent Indy 500s has been absurdly high (I think it was 89 lead changes at TK's win in 2013) so it's hard to say exactly what any of this means. I confidently predict we'll see more passing at Indy than at Monaco earlier the same day.

#7 Antemeridian

Antemeridian

• 209 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 23:01

Hey, a Wickens win (especially from 18th), with Hinch advising from pit lane (or the commentary box), would be pretty damned romantic. Come on, Robbie, do it for yourself, your country and for the Mayor!

#8 paulb

paulb

• 11,605 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 23:07

Perfect op, Risil! Once again, you amaze with the surprise Karen Gillan.

I’m hoping for no rain, few incidents, and a new winner (unless it’s Dixon).

#9 OvDrone

OvDrone

• 16,657 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 23:41

IT'S INDY BABY.

gPrpqLG.jpg

Look at the issue date. IT'S A SIGN.

This is nothing short of divine confirmation.

Thank you for the delightful OP, Rich. You do this great race justice.

Someone wake me up, can't believe this race is just days away.

Blessings to all beloved Indycar Autosport souls attending the 500, especially to my sportscar-techguru and simulator plane pilot extraordinaire Victor bringing that sweet Transylvanian charm to the Midwest. Cheers

goPgnN4.jpg

#10 Frood

Frood

• 10,575 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 23:51

I've decided that the Karen cover MUST be a sign

The drivers that shares the most letters with "MARVEL-OUS" is Servia. He's in my picks now for this reason.

Edited by Frood, 23 May 2018 - 23:52.

#11 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,416 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 00:26

When was last time (if ever) with green flag racing beginning to end?

:cool:

#12 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,916 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:08

How the hell can people vote for something non-romantic to happen at the most romantic of races ?

Jp

#13 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,086 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:26

Made it to Indy in one piece. I-65 from Chicago south is appaling, I've seriously seen better maintained roads back in Romania. :)) Met up with paulb on arrival as well. Things are coming together. :D

#14 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,210 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 01:43

Fantastic!  Everything is just fantastic!!  :clap:  :clap:

#15 Dr. Austin

Dr. Austin

• 3,293 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:18

We're in for a great race.

#16 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 6,041 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:19

How the hell can people vote for something non-romantic to happen at the most romantic of races ?

Jp

Because somebody the option about SeaBass winning here a year after his horrific crash was somehow left out..

#17 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,285 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 06:06

I'm not going to lie (as much as I know it jinxes her), I'm rooting for a Danica win. If not, Seabass or Pagenaud would be really fabulous too - they both deserve at least one 500 in their careers.

Again, in the spirit of not lying, a Rahal win would make me a very grumpy fellow. My general rule in IndyCar is "anybody but Rahal".

Edited by Muppetmad, 24 May 2018 - 06:07.

#18 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 26,167 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:32

As reported by our esteemed fellow sufferer, Peat:

http://forums.autosp...read/?p=8368324

SPM and Gade part company.

#19 Peat

Peat

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:33

fellow sufferer, Peat:

Tru dat, bruh!

Advertisement

#20 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:05

Oh no! What a shame. Hope Gade has something nice lined up elsewhere, and truly hope that it's going to be another racing job.

#21 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:07

When was last time (if ever) with green flag racing beginning to end?

It has never been yellow free. In 2014 the first 150 laps were under green and it was spectacular.

#22 Peat

Peat

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:14

The forward forecast looks hellishly hot on race day. That won't help with grip/dirty air. #yellowfest

Edited by Peat, 24 May 2018 - 10:14.

#23 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:22

It has never been yellow free. In 2014 the first 150 laps were under green and it was spectacular.

1990, 2013 and 2014 were the quickest 500s, IIRC. And even those had 4-5 caution periods each. 

What would an all-green Indy 500 look like? Could they wrap it up in under two-and-a-half hours?

#24 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,633 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:35

What would an all-green Indy 500 look like? Could they wrap it up in under two-and-a-half hours?

Average lap time of 41 seconds would take 2 hours 16 minutes and 40 seconds through 200 laps. Adding times for pit stops would make it go over 2 hours and 20 minutes but surely under two and half hours.

#25 Xpat

Xpat

• 18,185 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:56

Preparations for my 47th consecutive running are mostly complete.

It looks to be a hot and humid Sunday. Sitting on a metal seat for 5 hours will be awesome.

When I was much younger and was going to the race with my parents we would carry everything but the kitchen sink into the track. A full fried chicken feast. Set up a buffet line on the bench seat and eat and drink in the stands. Pie for dessert. More recently I decided carrying all this to the track is absurd. Now I carry my ticket and maybe a small tube of sunscreen if I can't get Mrs. Xpat to carry it for me. I am thinking about springing for one of those seat cushions this year. I thought about putting up a poll and letting you all decide. My ass...those metal benches...oy.

I do get to do one of my favorite things this year, take a bunch of people for their first race. My 8 year old nephew is excited. Doesn't know the first thing about racing but then I didn't either my first time.

#26 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:00

The forward forecast looks hellishly hot on race day. That won't help with grip/dirty air. #yellowfest

Dry is what most going want; the heat is nothing compared to other years. I also like how some people on this board, most who have never even sat in one of these cars let alone drive one, have such insight on how the yellows and driving conditions will play out. I could use a lotto win; may I borrow your crystal ball?

#27 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,454 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:01

The seats are metal? Sounds like a cushion would be a wise investment.

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,454 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:04

Dry is what most going want; the heat is nothing compared to other years. I also like how some people on this board, most who have never even sat in one of these cars let alone drive one, have such insight on how the yellows and driving conditions will play out. I could use a lotto win; may I borrow your crystal ball?

You don’t need a crystal ball to know that hot air is less dense, so you’ll get less engine power, less drag and also less downforce therefore less grip. It would also result in tyre temperatures and pressures rising.

#29 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:08

Bit of harmless speculation. And I don't think anyone's said anything that the likes of Tony Kanaan and Ed Jones haven't also said on 1070 The Fan.

Of course, if every driver goes into the race thinking grip's going to be low and passing is going to be hard, that might cause them to be cautious and we'll end up with an orderly first 100 or so laps. The human factor; cascade effects. Or as Nicky Hayden used to say, that's why they race on Sunday.

#30 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:11

#yellowfest

You don’t need a crystal ball to know that hot air is less dense, so you’ll get less engine power, less drag and also less downforce therefore less grip. It would also result in tyre temperatures and pressures rising.

Looks like a prediction to me; we shall see. By the way Payas, this is not the debut of most of these drivers - they just might have a clue about the very things you mention.

#31 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,454 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:14

Looks like a prediction to me; we shall see. By the way Payas, this is not the debut of most of these drivers - they just might have a clue about the very things you mention.

Drivers never make mistakes. Especially not Indycar drivers.

#32 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:14

Bit of harmless speculation.

Which doesn't seem to give the drivers any benefit of the doubt on talent level around here.

#33 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:16

Drivers never make mistakes. Especially not Indycar drivers.

Every series has moments; you seem to think IndyCar drivers are the worst of the lot by this comment. Yet you follow the series; seems odd to me.

#34 Peat

Peat

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:18

Woken up on the wrong side of bed this morning, B2?

#35 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,454 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:18

Every series has moments; you seem to think IndyCar drivers are the worst of the lot by this comment. Yet you follow the series; seems odd to me.

Obviously they don’t have sarcasm in America.

#36 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:20

No Peat - I'm just amazed that people who supposedly enjoy this type of racing seem to root for failure, crashes and embarrassment for the teams and drivers.

#37 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 49,454 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:22

No Peat - I'm just amazed that people who supposedly enjoy this type of racing seem to root for failure, crashes and embarrassment for the teams and drivers.

There’s a difference between rooting for failure, and expecting it. The latter is all that Peat said, and I’ve backed him up with science.

#38 Peat

Peat

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:27

Indeed. Every soundbite from the paddock says that the UAK18 is a 'handful' (to put it mildly) in traffic. Hotter air and track temps than we've seen all month will not help. I don't want a #yellowfest, but i won't be amazed if we see one. 

IndyCar is besties. 

#39 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,710 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:28

https://getyarn.io/y...22-1ccfca146f2c

Advertisement

#40 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:33

The way the weather and aero setups are looking, it sounds like drivers will have to take greater risks than usual to make passes, extract good laptimes from a car that's handling badly -- basically the kind of skills that separate great drivers from the merely good. Often the risks pay off, sometimes the driver pays the penalty, and sometimes the driver gets away with it but someone else suffers instead.

It's not like these guys can't all run round the track ad infinitum and set fast, consistent laptimes. It's the improvisation that leads to mistakes, drama and ultimately reward. In sport, art and life.

#41 FLB

FLB

• 32,502 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:35

Interesting table about air temperatures for the 500:

https://www.weather....ind/indy500.pdf

#42 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:48

I was wondering if they practiced at all in temps above 80?  I think they will be cautious for awhile, get a feel for the car, adjust, and then go for it.  At least the smart ones will and hopefully the bozos don't take out someone good

Romantic finish, Rahal and Andretti fighting it out for the last 5 laps and Andretti winning.  History, a curse, and romanticism for the 500

#43 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,468 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:24

for those in the UK the times are 5 hours behind

#44 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,916 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:33

Because somebody the option about SeaBass winning here a year after his horrific crash was somehow left out..

Well.. That's as romantic as it gets and I'm glad you're on that train as well.

#45 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,081 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:42

Oh who isn't on the Seabass train. Coupled with the fact it would also be the first triumph for Dale Coyne, Bourdais winning it would encompass everything I love about IndyCar. Both could easily be doing something better paying than IndyCar, yet still they are here for the love of the sport.

#46 Peat

Peat

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:53

Interesting table about air temperatures for the 500:

https://www.weather....ind/indy500.pdf

That's interesting. I went in 2013 and thought that was cold - turns out it was one of the least-cold cold ones. 

#47 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,916 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:57

I'm still pissed we didn't meet up

#48 Peat

Peat

• 9,218 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 13:02

I honestly thought it was an empty gesture, JP! How little I knew. 

Still, we got to meet at the Battersea ePrix - A far more select group!  ;)

Edited by Peat, 24 May 2018 - 13:02.

#49 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 45,916 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 13:32

Oh that's right ... That was a hoot

#50 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 64,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 13:34

I bet Indy's security is better than Formula E's.