Ferrari SF71H [seconda parte]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5756 replies to this topic

#1 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,780 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 16:20

Continue discussing the Prancing Horse's latest non-prancing non-horse below.

Advertisement

#2 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 16:30

Hard do do anything at the start unless one of the drivers really has a poor start.
It's gonna be a tactical race but redbull has the better package and I expect an easy win for Ricci.
We need to try and get a 2-3.

#3 haryantofan666

haryantofan666

• 378 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 16:33

Usually the guy in p3 jumps the guy in p2 at the start. It's gonna be hard for Seb to keep p2. Hamilton usually has good starts.

#4 Venom

Venom

• 293 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 16:38

Usually the guy in p3 jumps the guy in p2 at the start. It's gonna be hard for Seb to keep p2. Hamilton usually has good starts.

Does he? The last time I remember that happening was 2010 but correct me if I'm wrong. 

#5 taz

taz

• 558 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 17:01

It happened in 2009 and 2010

We had the same top 3 in 2012-13-14-15 & 17 (SC start in '16)

But it was all very close, the guys in P2 always have lot more wheelspin due to less grip on the outside, and mostly try to steer to the right on the start

#6 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,687 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 17:29

Vettel had a good start from P2 @ 2017: https://streamable.com/vwax2

-- 

ps: The ERS controversy is over (for now): https://www.auto-mot...gp-monaco-2018/

#AMuS (Google Translate):

"The FIA ​​Commissioners are satisfied with the changes in Ferrari's energy management. Fraud is now excluded. A visit to the FIA ​​Court of Appeal for possible irregularities in Baku and Barcelona would have little chance of success."

#7 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,464 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 17:30

Vettel had a good start from P2 @ 2017: https://streamable.com/vwax2

--

ps: The ERS controversy is over (for now): https://www.auto-mot...gp-monaco-2018/

#AMuS (Google Translate):

"The FIA ​​Commissioners are satisfied with the changes in Ferrari's energy management. Fraud is now excluded. A visit to the FIA ​​Court of Appeal for possible irregularities in Baku and Barcelona would have little chance of success."

Vindication

#8 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,862 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 19:45

So Ferrari have had to make changes ?? Damn.

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 26 May 2018 - 19:45.

#9 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 19:47

Don’t get your spaghetti in a twist Ferrari haven’t been compromised

#10 anyeis

anyeis

• 2,176 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 19:51

Canada will be a huge race. If they somehow drop behind Red Bull after Renault upgrade and upgrade of their own season will be over. On the other hand Red Bull could upset Merc

Edited by anyeis, 26 May 2018 - 19:52.

#11 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 20:53

Canada will be a huge race. If they somehow drop behind Red Bull after Renault upgrade and upgrade of their own season will be over. On the other hand Red Bull could upset Merc

I'm optimistic that Ferrari will be ahead of RB in Canada. Due to our own upgrade, RB shouldn't gain that much relative to Ferrari.

#12 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 21:31

Yup, an updated software apparently..

https://www.f1technical.net/news/21642

#13 HP

HP

• 19,646 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 00:16

In modern times, quite a few wins have been won from P2. There was even some time, when it was better to start from P2 than from P1.

#14 OO7

OO7

• 23,407 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:19

Don’t get your spaghetti in a twist Ferrari haven’t been compromised

We don't actually know whether they have or haven't.

#15 AnR

AnR

• 1,578 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:38

Good lap from Vettel to beat the mighty Mercs, let's hope they focus more on Ferrari than their own car all season long..

#16 dreamer

dreamer

• 1,922 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:13

https://twitter.com/...632526338224128

Ferrari cleared of breaking engine rules by the FIA. Charlie Whiting said: "We found things that were difficult to explain but we had to understand whether Ferrari's explanations were valid. We were never in doubt things were above board, but last night [Fri] we were convinced."

https://twitter.com/...633480802455553

Race director Whiting also revealed that it was the former Ferrari man James Allison, now Mercedes' technical director, who approached the FIA before last month's race in Baku: "He [Allison] is a very, very bright guy and he didn't really know what Ferrari were doing." #MonacoGP

#17 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,623 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:18

Hopefully that is the case but it doesnt really tell you whether ferrari knew this was coming and therefore stopped and made a good story up or theh have been told to stop and this is just so theres no scandal.

Personally though I think we have to take it at face value and now applaud ferrari for doing a great job unless we see massive performance drop off at power tracks.

Edited by w1Y, 27 May 2018 - 07:19.

#18 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:35

I predict either a bad start or bad strategy. Hamilton in front of both our cars. I have lost faith that anything good will come from this season. I didn't watch last 2 qualis live. When I saw that Merceedes was dominant at Barcelona after we were dominant in Baku (and couldn't even win then) I was disgusted.

#19 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,623 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:43

Nah, i think vettel will outsmart red bull around pit stop strategy. Unless red bull have a huge pace advantage. I predict a seb victory and ric second.

Advertisement

#20 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,862 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:55

Ferrari’s pitwall has been nothing short of terrible this year.

Strategy is the most important thing come race day in Monaco, so I have full faith that they will balls it up.

#21 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,387 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:01

Both cars on the outside for turn 1 and our supreme strategy team....this race can only be a disaster

#22 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:41

Strategy is the most important thing come race day in Monaco, so I have full faith that they will balls it up.

It can still work if the right strategy is completely obvious. If they are not given an opportunity to screw up, we could keep our positions.

(I hope they consider track position valuable in Monaco.)

#23 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:31

It will be simple : stop last. Overcut have always been the way to go at Monaco since 2010. And pit during a SC period.

#24 otakukim

otakukim

• 100 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:38

Nah, i think vettel will outsmart red bull around pit stop strategy. Unless red bull have a huge pace advantage. I predict a seb victory and ric second.

Vettel is a very smart guy but the strategist im not so sure. Ive lost hope in him

#25 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:39

It will be simple : stop last. Overcut have always been the way to go at Monaco since 2010. And pit during a SC period.

Previous races never had an option tire that went off quickly.  If HS's dont last well, going by what happened before isn't gonna work. 

#26 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:46

Previous races never had an option tire that went off quickly. If HS's dont last well, going by what happened before isn't gonna work.

You’re right about that one. The problem is let imagine we stop early because the HS is done, imagine if we are stuck behind a Force India or Alonso because their car work well with HS’s.. ( it’s an hypothesis) we will be done.

Let’s hope the car is good on them like the Red Bull.. For sure Mercedes will have to stop early, but I hope we will not have too..

#27 Trust

Trust

• 5,156 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:59

Key word for Ferrari strategists today: OVERCUT.  Whatever happens, just stay out. 

#28 otakukim

otakukim

• 100 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:04

Key word for Ferrari strategists today: OVERCUT. Whatever happens, just stay out.

They will undercut and be stuck in traffic lol maybe even use kimi as a roadblock. Thats their MO

#29 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:06

Glad that nobody has any faith in the fools that is the Ferrari pitwall.

Been terrible for years now.
Sergio have a word.

Rain now as well I'm hearing. This has disaster written all over it.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 27 May 2018 - 12:07.

#30 Danyy

Danyy

• 3,066 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:35

Yes it’s been along time since Ferrari outsmarted anyone on strategy, 2010 Abu Dhabi was there title losing biggest blunder and they haven’t looked any better since but the car is faster now so it can save them sometimes

#31 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,464 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:57

Hoping we can somehow win today but with the strategists we have I wouldn’t hold my breath

#32 stringyb92

stringyb92

• 353 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 13:00

Hoping we are bold on strategy today and put Danny Ric under serious pressure. Fully expect the strategy to go wrong and finish 5th & 6th...

#33 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,387 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 13:04

Hoping we are bold on strategy today and put Danny Ric under serious pressure. Fully expect the strategy to go wrong and finish 5th & 6th...

Yeah lost all my faith in our strategy team...How can they be so bad for several years. This race will be another disaster like Spain for us.

#34 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 13:54

Sack these dipshit strategists please

#35 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 14:39

A snoozefest.

Only in Monaco where a fast Ferrari could not overtake a wounded, down on power RBR car.

#36 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 14:47

We won points on Mercedes in both championships. At least we can settle for that.
Let's hope we can win in Canada.

#37 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,580 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:02

Considering everything, this is a good result. I was little bit worried for Seb's engine. Now rest of the season is going to depend on the next Evo engine.

#38 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 977 posts

Mixed feelings, i wanted ferrari to win but Lewis didnt ended upper than us so i guess its ok

#39 Mzovk

Mzovk

• 93 posts

Good race. 2nd and 4th are strong results.
We should remember that are main opponent is Mercedes, not RedBull. So we gained some points today on them, and we should be happy about that.

Advertisement

#40 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:03

Sack these dipshit strategists please

Really?  I think they did fine.  

Maybe they could have gone a bit more aggressive with Kimi to try and undercut on Lewis, and obviously going to Ultrasoft was not the right answer, but most others made the same, understandable mistake.  

I'm pretty happy with the result.  Same as qualifying position, no disaster, gained points in both WDC and WCC over Lewis and Mercedes.  This was basically a damage limitation weekend and we came out in a better position than we came in. 

Edited by Seanspeed, 27 May 2018 - 15:04.

#41 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,687 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:04

Hopefully Mercedes will have the same issues with the US/HS @ Canada.

Really?  I think they did fine.  

Maybe they could have gone a bit more aggressive with Kimi to try and undercut on Lewis, and obviously going to Ultrasoft was not the right answer, but most others made the same, understandable mistake.  

I'm pretty happy with the result.  Same as qualifying position, no disaster, gained points in both WDC and WCC over Lewis and Mercedes.  This was basically a damage limitation weekend and we came out in a better position than we came in. 

As soon as Hamilton pitted, Kimi had to push to the max for one lap for the overcut, he had the pace, he even was faster than Lewis with the US but instead of calling him to change tyres they told him to keep pushing...wtf they were thinking.

Edited by xtremeclock, 27 May 2018 - 15:05.

#42 stringyb92

stringyb92

• 353 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:04

I look forward to a proper racing track next time out! Hopefully the aero efficiency of the car will work well in Canada

#43 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:06

It is not a good result. Hamilton is on podium while they were the third best team. Damage limitation at his best, like Alonso when he was driving for the team.

A good result would have been Kimi on the podium and one again, the team didn’t make the right choice and it cost a podium.

We cannot win the race we have too, and we lose even against Red Bull when we are slower than everybody.

The car have the pace to win the championship but this team is not a championship winning team at the moment. Too many mistakes.

#44 Shade

Shade

• 1,421 posts

Happy with today's result. The fastest combination of car-driver won, and we gained on both championships. Today you could clearly see why Kimi needed to qualify ahead of Lewis.

Edited by Shade, 27 May 2018 - 15:06.

#45 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Yeah tbh that was reactionary, they did fine today, could have done a lot worse.

I defend the decision to not put Kimi the 2nd time either, Kimi was never passing anyone and it would just end up being a lost place.

Now good job limiting damage, but they have to now win when they have the car. No more China, Baku screw ups.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 27 May 2018 - 15:15.

#46 stringyb92

stringyb92

• 353 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:07

It is not a good result. Hamilton is on podium while they were the third best team. Damage limitation at his best, like Alonso when he was driving for the team.

A good result would have been Kimi on the podium and one again, the team didn’t make the right choice and it cost a podium.

We cannot win the race we have too, and we lose even against Red Bull when we are slower than everybody.

The car have the pace to win the championship but this team is not a championship winning team at the moment. Too many mistakes.

What confused me is that when Kimi did pit he was 5seconds behind Hamilton so somehow lost time.

#47 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:09

Yeah tbh that was reactionary, they did fine today, could have done a lot worse.

I defend the decision to not put Kimi the 2nd time either, Kimi was never passing anyone and it would just end up being a lost place.

With a 4 seconds quicker car Kimi would have easily overtake. Especially after the tunnel, other car didn’t have the grip to brake late.

The same at the restart after the VSC, did you notice how slow everybody were ? With new tyres I think Kimi or whatever driver with new tyres would have won that race.

#48 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,387 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:10

With a 4 seconds quicker car Kimi would have easily overtake. Especially after the tunnel, other car didn’t have the grip to brake late.

The same at the restart after the VSC, did you notice how slow everybody were ? With new tyres I think Kimi or whatever driver with new tyres would have won that race.

Stop this nonsense...You cant overtake the top 3 Teams at this track

#49 Massa

Massa

• 10,114 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:13

Stop this nonsense...You cant overtake the top 3 Teams at this track

When you drive 4 seconds quicker you can. We are talking about 4 seconds gaps between dead tyres and new tyres.

Look how big the gap was between Verstappen and Sainz after Ves overtook him.

#50 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:13

There wasn't *nearly* enough time to pit and pass a ton of cars to win.  It'd be extremely questionable whether he'd even get back to 4th.  He may have been 4 seconds faster in clean air, but you cant pass for most of the track, so you get held up a bunch until you can even try a move and even then it's hard to nail an overtake here at the very first possibility.  

And why are you talking about Kimi?  Why not pit Vettel to do this if it was *so* certain?