* * * - - 8 votes

Ferrari SF71H [seconda parte]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5756 replies to this topic

#1751 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,816 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 18:30

Honestly, again I have fears about the start tomorrow.

Almost every race Ferrari are in a good position, something weird happens.

I'm sick of it. Both cars need to make sure they at least get through it with their positions intact.

Advertisement

#1752 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 19:21

I just hope Kimi doesnt get eaten up by Bottas and Verstappen behind. Its almost too much to expect him to make up positions at the start in light of how his starts have been this year.

Not too worried about Vettel though..He consistently has great launches and im sure he will prod his nose forward any chance he gets going into turn 1.

#1753 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 19:23

Both Ferraris have gotten great launches lately, and with only one Mercedes ahead they should at least maintain their positions.

#1754 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 19:25

IIRC, Kimi hasnt made up a position at the start in any Gp this season...by making a position i mean maintaining it at the end of the first lap

#1755 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 19:31

We have a good racing car. Somehow I think Kimi will be good tomorrow.

#1756 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 19:45

This is KR's 6th weekend on the power unit installed at the Spanish GP.. which means we should expect him to drive the Spec 2 in Germany.

From MaxF1.net

Driver                     Team             Engine            ICE   TC  MGU-H   MGU-K   ES   CE

Lewis Hamilton      Mercedes       Mercedes           2      2        2            1           1      1

Valtteri Bottas        Mercedes       Mercedes           3      3        3            2           2       2

Sebastian Vettel     Ferrari            Ferrari                2      2        2            1           1       2

Kimi Raikkonen      Ferrari             Ferrari               2      3        2            1           1       2

Edited by grunge, 07 July 2018 - 19:50.

#1757 xtremeclock

xtremeclock

• 1,687 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:14

This is KR's 6th weekend on the power unit installed at the Spanish GP.. which means we should expect him to drive the Spec 2 in Germany.

From MaxF1.net

Driver                     Team             Engine            ICE   TC  MGU-H   MGU-K   ES   CE

Lewis Hamilton      Mercedes       Mercedes           2      2        2            1           1      1

Valtteri Bottas        Mercedes       Mercedes           3      3        3            2           2       2

Sebastian Vettel     Ferrari            Ferrari                2      2        2            1           1       2

Kimi Raikkonen      Ferrari             Ferrari               2      3        2            1           1       2

Maybe Ferrari has the Spec3 ready, i remember from the CanadianGP weekend an article from #AMuS claiming Binotto wanted to be more conservative with the SPEC2 leaving some power to be unlocked with the SPEC3.

LH/SV laps with mini-sectors:

https://streamable.com/6mq87

:up:

#1758 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:22

Maybe Ferrari has the Spec3 ready, i remember from the CanadianGP weekend an article from #AMuS claiming Binotto wanted to be more conservative with the SPEC2 leaving some power to be unlocked with the SPEC3.

wasnt aware of that bit of news...that'd be quite something..a 2nd upgrade of the engine after just 10 Gps  :eek:

#1759 mikerally

mikerally

• 251 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:26

From MaxF1.net

They might keep him on this unit with only Germany and the not so power dependent Hungary left before the break. Then give him the new unit in Spa/Monza which would get him back on the normal power unit cycle. At the moment it seems he can fight with this unit so the only danger is a blow-up. However if they gamble on it that it won't happen and win, they will manage to reduce the risk of incurring an engine penalty.

Advertisement

#1760 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:27

DAMN!

I thought we were better than in France and Austria Q, but not that good. Fighting with Bottas, 2-3 tenths behind Lewis. I hoped for 1 of our drivers doing the perfect lap, but in the end it was Lewis. What a shame. Track position is important. But also a good start and not losing position. We need Vettel and Kimi both within the top 3 after lap 1.

If we can win this race, we have a chance everything. Nice response to the big Mercedes update. Keep going like this, it's up to Kimi and Seb now.

Would have been a nice psychological blow to our opponents to take pole away from Lewis on this aero track, his home track where he flies almost every year. I fear that on these special tyres, Mercedes has equally good tyre wear especially if they run from the front. But maybe we will have a small advantage. Who knows.

Expect a big fight tomorrow.

#1761 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:35

Strategy is tricky for tomorrow, which is something new considering how weve all been pretty sure about the likely strategy on most weekends this year.

Mercedes seem confident about a 1 stopper..they havent left new sets of the soft compounds..20 laps on the softs and then mediums to the end.

Ferrari seem more flexible or perhaps more unsure...we could see them mirroring Mercedes' strategy or opting for a 2 stopper...a short stint on the softs and then one longer one on the mediums before we see them putting on new softs for the last laps.

if the degradation from free practice is representative, i can see a 2 stopper being faster...Overtaking though is a whole different story....Not to forget the average time stop and join back here is pretty long with the decreased pitlane speeds.

#1762 Blackoutjulian

Blackoutjulian

• 2,387 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:36

There is a picture of Vettel on reddit during the post press conference(cant post it with my phone here). He looked in pain holding his head as if he has a bad headache and also looked really exhausted. Hope Seb can sleep well and be 100% ready for tomorrow. A full race around Silverstone with pain doesnt sound good to me.

#1763 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,816 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:38

Think one of the cars might opt for a 2 stop. I think it may be a valid strategy but let's see.

#1764 otakukim

otakukim

• 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:44

Think one of the cars might opt for a 2 stop. I think it may be a valid strategy but let's see.

Yup i think we should split strategies to maximize our opportunities for the win. I also think merc will split

#1765 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:52

They might keep him on this unit with only Germany and the not so power dependent Hungary left before the break. Then give him the new unit in Spa/Monza which would get him back on the normal power unit cycle. At the moment it seems he can fight with this unit so the only danger is a blow-up. However if they gamble on it that it won't happen and win, they will manage to reduce the risk of incurring an engine penalty.

An engine penalty is probably inevitable at this point..11 Gps to go after this one..Even if they wait another 2 Gps, they cant expect the 3rd engine to complete the next 9.

Not to mention Germany and Hungary will be the 7th and 8th weekends on this current engine...there will certainly be a drop off in performance...

#1766 Hellenic tifosi

Hellenic tifosi

• 6,639 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 20:58

Are we certain that Kimi's 1st engine is completely destroyed? If it has been used as a Friday engine, then #2 could be extended by a few races.

Vettel's 1st engine is probably still used in Fridays.

#1767 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 21:25

Are we certain that Kimi's 1st engine is completely destroyed? If it has been used as a Friday engine, then #2 could be extended by a few races.

Vettel's 1st engine is probably still used in Fridays.

All we know is what the team announced on twitter after he stalled in FP2 Spanish weekend

“the full block ICE, turbo and MGU-H on Kimi’s car will be taken down for checks and replaced for tomorrow.”

#1768 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 21:31

Silverstone has become one of the best overtaking tracks on the calendar, so if the computer simulations say it's clearly faster, it could definitely be a viable option. 

#1769 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 21:52

Kimis next engine is going to be spec3 for sure. That's given imho.

#1770 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 21:56

Strategy is tricky for tomorrow, which is something new considering how weve all been pretty sure about the likely strategy on most weekends this year.

Mercedes seem confident about a 1 stopper..they havent left new sets of the soft compounds..20 laps on the softs and then mediums to the end.

Ferrari seem more flexible or perhaps more unsure...we could see them mirroring Mercedes' strategy or opting for a 2 stopper...a short stint on the softs and then one longer one on the mediums before we see them putting on new softs for the last laps.

if the degradation from free practice is representative, i can see a 2 stopper being faster...Overtaking though is a whole different story....Not to forget the average time stop and join back here is pretty long with the decreased pitlane speeds.

I think they are aiming at 2 stop strategy. At least for one of the drivers. Not only because of the tire degradation but also putting pressure on Merc.

#1771 MikeV1987

MikeV1987

• 6,371 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 22:04

Hamilton vs Vettel - Fastest mini sectors comparison.

https://streamable.com/6mq87

The Ferrari is a beast on the straights but the Mercedes is quicker in the corners. Should be a fun race.

Edited by MikeV1987, 07 July 2018 - 22:04.

#1772 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 22:10

Kimis next engine is going to be spec3 for sure. That's given imho.

It's tough because while we've had a number of races for Spec 2 now, it's still been less than a month since it was introduced.  If Kimi is to get a Spec 3 replacement by Hungary, that marks less than 2 months of development for the factory to deliver it.  

I almost wonder whether Kimi might get a Spec 2.5 while Vettel gets a full Spec 3 a few races later.  Or maybe just stick Kimi with a Spec 2 in Hockenheim and wring its neck til Spec 3 is available, then switch at a convenient track(Singapore?), take the penalty and have the Spec 2 unit as a solid backup. 

#1773 Whiz

Whiz

• 857 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 22:23

There is a picture of Vettel on reddit during the post press conference(cant post it with my phone here). He looked in pain holding his head as if he has a bad headache and also looked really exhausted. Hope Seb can sleep well and be 100% ready for tomorrow. A full race around Silverstone with pain doesnt sound good to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start or finish the race because of the neck problems.

I am surprised that can't get medicine because of the FIA Doping rules...

#1774 nemanja

nemanja

• 2,583 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 22:37

It's tough because while we've had a number of races for Spec 2 now, it's still been less than a month since it was introduced.  If Kimi is to get a Spec 3 replacement by Hungary, that marks less than 2 months of development for the factory to deliver it.  

I almost wonder whether Kimi might get a Spec 2.5 while Vettel gets a full Spec 3 a few races later.  Or maybe just stick Kimi with a Spec 2 in Hockenheim and wring its neck til Spec 3 is available, then switch at a convenient track(Singapore?), take the penalty and have the Spec 2 unit as a solid backup. 

Yes, but according to F1An more powerful version was already available in Canada but Binotto decided not to use it because of some rather small reliability concerns. Kimi is going to get a new version very soon. It just remain to be seen if its going to be some 2.5 spec, as you mentioned, or fully fledged spec 3. I firmly believe it will be spec 3, maybe even in Germany.

Edited by nemanja, 07 July 2018 - 22:37.

#1775 otakukim

otakukim

• 100 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 22:42

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start or finish the race because of the neck problems.

I am surprised that can't get medicine because of the FIA Doping rules...

No way! I think seb would start the race whatever happens. Its too valuable to miss out. Wonder what happened to him though. He did an unreal amount of laps in testing and he was fine

#1776 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 23:03

No way! I think seb would start the race whatever happens. Its too valuable to miss out. Wonder what happened to him though. He did an unreal amount of laps in testing and he was fine

Sounds like it happened during FP3. Neck injuries are easy to pick up. No matter the strength of the muscles, catch it wrong and it'll hurt. Thank goodness this is the last of the triple headers. Actually, it does make you wonder if the demands of a triple header on the drivers combined with the bumpy nature of such a high speed circuit such as Silverstone would be the cause. These conditions a far more physically brutal than winter testing.

I do suspect the neck injury may well have cost Seb pole.

#1777 pit5bul

pit5bul

• 813 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 23:12

Wow , this was unexpected. Historically Mercs have had a much better suited package for the Silverstone track - no longer the case this year. Seeing the onboard lap comparison i fully expect Ferrari to overtake or outplay Mercs tomorrow. Hamilton is a brilliant driver around this track but a whole race is very much different ! I must say i'm quite impressed by Ferrari this year , i expected to be out-developed by Mercs but looks like its quite the opposite.   

#1778 Shade

Shade

• 1,421 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 23:31

Usually, tiny advantages are not enough to overtake. If Ferrari can build a gap to Bottas so they can work together strategically against Hamilton, it may work. Or if they have better tyre deg (Friday didn't look too good though), they can use that. Just a bit higher top speed (and less corner speed) is in itself not sufficient.

This. But first of all, we absolutely need a clean start (remember those 1-2's that we never kept? yeah...) 

Then after that, when the race stabilises, we need to try different strategies with the 2 drivers to keep Lewis guessing. I wouldn't even mind if we compromised Kimi's race to get Seb to P1. 

#1779 theflyingwheel

theflyingwheel

• 977 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:48

Super interesting comments Ocon did, he stated that if temperature stays at it is they (force india) will have the exact same blistering issues as in Austria.

Advertisement

#1780 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 01:49

Yes, but according to F1An more powerful version was already available in Canada but Binotto decided not to use it because of some rather small reliability concerns. Kimi is going to get a new version very soon. It just remain to be seen if its going to be some 2.5 spec, as you mentioned, or fully fledged spec 3. I firmly believe it will be spec 3, maybe even in Germany.

Introduce v2.5 ASAP to customer teams and let them do the dirty work for a couple of races.

#1781 Vettelari

Vettelari

• 1,564 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 03:00

If you take a new PU in Germany, where's the best opportunity to take the penalty on the 4th? Singapore? Sochi? Suzuka? I wonder what the Renault team's schedule is. Surely they'll avoid taking a penalty at Singapore with it being winnable for RBR. With RBR likely to be ahead of Mercedes in Singapore, I think taking a grid penalty there makes a lot of sense for Kimi. I'm still not sure that Vettel or 44 will be able to make it penalty free either, but it is too early to plan for that. KR, VB, and MV will surely have to take grid penalties somewhere. DR might have to take 2.

#1782 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:03

If (and it'a a big if) we can hold our positions after the start, and also assuming we have the race pace to stay with Lewis with both cars then we can easily bring the nr. 3 car in earlier to forces Mercedes into the undercut and use the other car for the overcut.

Ir'a pretty hard to cover from both cars.

The strategic battle will be fascinating to watch.

#1783 ConsiderAndGo

ConsiderAndGo

• 9,864 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:16

If (and it'a a big if) we can hold our positions after the start, and also assuming we have the race pace to stay with Lewis with both cars then we can easily bring the nr. 3 car in earlier to forces Mercedes into the undercut and use the other car for the overcut.
Ir'a pretty hard to cover from both cars.
The strategic battle will be fascinating to watch.

Yeah, will all be about Kimi’s start. He’s been soooooo bad this year on lap one. He needs to hold it together, just once!

Edited by ConsiderAndGo, 08 July 2018 - 06:16.

#1784 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:50

Yeah, will all be about Kimi’s start. He’s been soooooo bad this year on lap one. He needs to hold it together, just once!

Kimi had good starts lately but he made poor decision in turn 1...

#1785 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:18

I don't have a good feeling about Vettels race. He is the kind of person to downplay issues like his neck. I could live with a P4 under those circumstances (and ideally Hamilton not on P1 - Kimi has a chance). Hopefully, nothing stupid happens.

#1786 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,626 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:44

Seb will be fine today.

I think itll be a dissappointment to ferrari if they dont win

Edited by w1Y, 08 July 2018 - 07:44.

#1787 Unicast

Unicast

• 2,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:03

Seb will be fine today.

I agree, we should have a shoot at the win, how big that shoot will be? Who knows? I just hope Hamilton won't cruise into the sunset.

#1788 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:18

When it comes to Ferrari spec3 PU, the plan at the start of the season was to introduce it at Spa. So Kimi would still have to do Germany and Hungary with the spec1 after today. Hopefully they can bring it earlier if possible.

Start will be one of the most important points today. If both cars at least keep their positions, the battle for the win will be great. There is a high risk of collissions in first few corners, so will see.

Edited by Vesuvius, 08 July 2018 - 09:20.

#1789 Signori

Signori

• 465 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:40

Kimi had good starts lately but he made poor decision in turn 1...

Have Kimi's good starts not been linked with Ferrari starting on the softer tyres in recent races. 

#1790 trickle

trickle

• 1,225 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:41

Seb will be fine today.

Merc fastest on Friday long run, Merc was fasted in FP3 and Quali. They have the best car here at Silverstone, but not by as much as most people thought. So of course Ferrari may have a chance but it's definitely Merc/Ham to lose the race, with the best package.

#1791 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:06

Have Kimi's good starts not been linked with Ferrari starting on the softer tyres in recent races.

Perhaps. But Kimi actually pretty much always have had a good start, but the problem for him has been first corners, he either brakes too early or someone blocks him etc. But the actual starts have been good.

#1792 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,256 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:08

Good then that you don't have to brake for T1 in Silverstone then :)

Edited by Jovanotti, 08 July 2018 - 10:08.

#1793 Mark123

Mark123

• 553 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:12

Merc fastest on Friday long run, Merc was fasted in FP3 and Quali. They have the best car here at Silverstone, but not by as much as most people thought. So of course Ferrari may have a chance but it's definitely Merc/Ham to lose the race, with the best package.

Do you have a comparison of Vettel and Hamilton long runs. I see some people have Vettel faster and some Hamilton. I think I read Vettel was faster but with more drop off?

#1794 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:46

Good then that you don't have to brake for T1 in Silverstone then :)

They wont have to brake until T3 actually, the village corner...and that such be the perfect remedy for Kimi's start woes.

No DRS at the start either, and both Vettel and Kimi should be able to get good toes from the front..The straight line speed would come into play too, its a reasonably long way until T3....so all in all, they should not mess this up.

#1795 Scuferrari

Scuferrari

• 645 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 10:49

With that crazy new DRS Zone and someone trying to use DRS + full throttle + fuel on board......I predict at least 1 crash plus SC. Real SC.

This time the start is very important. If both have a normal start it's difficult to lose positions. But it's also difficult for Vettel to overtake Hamilton even if he has a better start.

#1796 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,390 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:00

This race will be exciting one

#1797 w1Y

w1Y

• 10,626 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:10

With that crazy new DRS Zone and someone trying to use DRS + full throttle + fuel on board......I predict at least 1 crash plus SC. Real SC.

This time the start is very important. If both have a normal start it's difficult to lose positions. But it's also difficult for Vettel to overtake Hamilton even if he has a better start.

I believe a real safety car is almost certain. Someome will gwt stuck in the gravel requireing a JCB and then they will call a sc

#1798 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 11:14

They wont have to brake until T3 actually, the village corner...and that such be the perfect remedy for Kimi's start woes.

But at least everyone, who has to go trough T1 on the inside will have to lift - and of course also everyone on the outside, who is going 2-wide with another driver or at least not clipping the apex to leave some space.

Edited by LiJu914, 08 July 2018 - 11:14.

#1799 stringyb92

stringyb92

• 353 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 12:43

Im hoping the pace is good today from both cars and to split strategy to take Lewis on. 

Advertisement

#1800 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 14:43

Fantastic from Vettel....just brilliant.

If only Kimi had one more lap..Ive lost count of the times ive said this, this year