Dat Detroit Double (Cure Your Post-Indy Blues Here)! The 2018 Dual in Detroit

• Please log in to reply
1064 replies to this topic

#1 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 22:18

ceAvWcl.png

So, I hear you're suffering from the post-Indy 500 blues. Well, you've come to the right place - my name is Dr. Frood, and I can write you the best prescription possible... how does MORE INDYCAR sound? But I don't want you taking just one IndyCar race this weekend. I need you to go for a double dose. That'll clear the blues right up.*

*Side effects of a double-dose of IndyCar may include: heart palpatations, TV addiction, motion sickness and a large amount of Will Power

The dust has barely settled, the bricks have only just been kissed, but the world of IndyCar moves forever forward. Just a week after Will Power's maiden Indy 500 victory, the IndyCar circus rolls into Motown. Detroit is around 5 hours north-east of Indianapolis, sitting on the Detroit River, which connects Lake Huron and Lake Erie in south-eastern Michigan. Detroit is widely known as being one of the most beautiful cities in... er, the Detroit area.

abandoned_factory-720x540.jpg

detroit2-bonfire.jpg

Well, Belle Isle isn’t that bad, anyway.

Aerial+Belle+Isle.jpg?format=750w

The Raceway on Belle Isle has been an on-off fixture on the American open-wheel racing calendar since 1992. IndyCar had previously raced at the circuit at the Renaissance Center in Downtown Detroit, where The Other Series had previously raced between 1982 and 1988. The track was known to have poor viewing for both drivers and spectators, and was also known to be incredibly bumpy (where have I heard that before?) A disastrous race in 1991 saw a disintegrating track, a horrific financial loss (and subsequent fraud investigation) and tribulations for the Andrettis. Mario crashed into a course vehicle trying to retrieve Dennis Vitolo’s stricken Dale Coyne Racing Lola; Michael, in trying to avoid his father’s accident, crashed into Vitolo’s car. An embarrassing moment for the Andretti family, not to be repeated until Marco decided that he also wanted to be a race car driver.

https://www.youtube....h?v=KwEqjuvAZzE

As a result, for the 1992 race, the organisers decided to move out into the Detroit River onto Belle Isle, sitting just on the right side (or the wrong side, depending on your point of view) of the US-Canada border. Contempary articles showered the track with praise for being “not the Renaissance Center circuit” and especially the fact it was incredibly smooth. Safe to say, the drivers are not saying that today.

Tell me more about the track

It's on an island. Called Belle Isle. In the middle of the Detroit River. Near Canada. Please keep up.

Look, here's a map.

zXFiCMk.png

Length: 2.35 mi / 3.78 km / 2043.24 Froods
Race laps: 70
Track record: 1:10.3162 by Scott Dixon, 2012
Last year’s winners: Graham Rahal2
Places where James Hinchliffe can be bumped from Qualifying: 0

What happened last year?

Graham Rahal. Race 1 was not a classic; Hinchcliffe crashed at Turn 1, Kimball crashed into Daly. Rahal led 55 of 70 laps. Alotion was 6th, which was his only decent result before SPM fired him. Race 2 saw SATOOOOO on pole, but he was jumped by Rahal during the first round of pitstops and he never looked back. There was a bit of argy-bargy between Castroneves and Hunter-Reay and there was a caution near the end of the race when Hinchcliffe and Pigot simultaneously broke down (not emotionally). Rahal led 41 of 70 laps. It was quite the performance.

What’s the schedule for this weekend?

Glad you asked, ‘cause it’s a bumper one! You’ve got the Sports Car Club of America ® Trans-Am ® Series by Pirelli ©; the IMSA© WeatherTech ® SportsCar Championship and the SPEED Energy ® Stadium Super Trucks Series alongside the Verizon ® IndyCar ® Series ™

Hopefully I won’t get sued now.

Friday 1st June
07:30 – 08:00 Trans Am Practice 1
08:15 – 09:45 IMSA Practice 1
10:05 – 10:35 Super Truck Practice/Qualifying
11:20 – 12:05 IndyCar Practice 1
12:20 – 12:50 Trans Am Practice 2
13:05 – 14:55 IMSA Practice 2
15:15 – 16:00 IndyCar Practice 2
16:05 – 16:20 IndyCar Pitstop Practice
16:35 – 17:05 Trans Am Race 1 Qualifying
17:20 – 18:00 IMSA Qualifying

Saturday 2nd June
08:00 – 08:20 IMSA Warm-Up
08:45 – 09:45 Trans Am Race 1
10:05 – 10:55 Super Truck Race 1
10:30 – 11:15 IMSA Autograph Session
10:55 – 11:25 IndyCar Race 1 Qualifying
11:45 – 12:30 IMSA Open Grid Walk
12:30 – 14:30 IMSA Race
12:45 – 13:30 IndyCar Autograph Session
14:45 – 15:30 IndyCar Pre-Race Ceremonies
15:30 – 18:00 IndyCar Race 1 (Green Flag at approx. 15:50)
18:00 – whenever Some concert no-one cares about

Sunday 3rd June
09:30 – 10:00 Trans Am Autograph Session
10:45 – 11:15 IndyCar Race 2 Qualifying
11:45 – 13:00 Trans Am Race 2
13:00 – 14:00 A concert that someone, somewhere, cares about, presumably
14:05 – 14:35 Super Truck Race 2
14:45 – 15:45 IndyCar Pre-Race Ceremonies
15:30 – 18:00 IndyCar Race 2 (Green Flag at approx. 15:50)

All times GMT -4, so adjust accordingly for your time zone!

So, who’s competing in the IndyCar race and can you present it to me like a makeshift music chart with badly-photoshopped album covers tenuously linked to each driver because there’s a link between Detroit and Motown and music and that kind of thing?

That’s an oddly specific request. Luckily for you, I came prepared...

VCeXKLa.png

THE TOP 20 INDYCAR ALBUMS THIS WEEK!

i2pIpZm.png

#1 (up 6) | DJ WILL.I.P - #WILLPOWER

A huge leap this week for DJ will.i.p. Coming off of the back of his biggest gig ever in Indianapolis, will.i.p has finally delivered the album everyone knew he could, but for various maladies, hasn't quite managed to produce. The man has managed to put so much emotion into this new record, containing new hip-hop beats and covers of old techno classics. Just listening to the screams of a man who's managed to produce his finest work has been enough to warm everyone's soul.

Frood's track pick: (I GOT) THE POWER

N9hvp5x.png

#2 (non-mover) | ALEX ROSSI - FEARLESS

And Fearless is exactly what Alex Rossi has been this year. He's not afraid to talk the talk, he's not afraid to walk the walk; he's got the moves to back him up as well. We've seen some fine acts of bravery this season from the Californian. The only low point was a small feud with New Kids on the Block's Robby Wickens, but that seems to have blown over. In contention for album of the year.

Frood's track pick: FOREVER & ALWAYS (THE WINNER OF THE 100TH INDIANAPOLIS 500)

NNgIwyw.png

#3 (down 2) | NEWGARDEN - SUPERKNOWN

Another solid album from the charismatic Tenessee grunge outfit. However, the label-mate of DJ will.i.p performed a solid but anonymous gig at the weekend (as well as losing a battle of the bands with Simon Pagenaud's Earth Band), which has resulted in him losing the top spot in the chart this week. Penske Records will be expecting a lot better of the erstwhile chart-topper here in their home city.

Frood's track pick: (YOUNG) AMERICAN BOY

0m6ZUyR.png

#4 (non-mover) | DIXIE CHICKS - TAKING THE SUNOCO WAY

They're a group fueled by passion. The identical triplets Dixie Chicks are back with Taking the Sunoco Way, an album full of pumping anthems and a refined sound. The new album has been in the pipeline for some time and as a result, there is a refreshing lack of filler. The girls have gallons of experience and you're sure to experience a well-oiled machine if you're seeing them on the Detroit state this weekend.

Frood's track pick: WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

9KOGGmj.png

#5 (up 4) | JOHNNIE (HUNTER) REAY - TURKETARIAN

Who knew that a Thanksgiving album would perform so well on Memorial Day? 12 songs dedicated to the humble turkey may seem like gobble-dygook to you or I, but (Hunter) Reay has turned in another polished effort. Look for him (and manager Michael Andretti) to inject some heat into this weekend's proceedings. There's also news afoot that the American may be picked to represent Turkey in next years' Eurovision Song Contest.

Frood's track pick: BIRD IS THE WORD

HZ2fLvb.png

#6 (non mover) | RAHAL AND OATES - AT THEIR BEST

Graham Rahal and John Oates are back with their greatest hits! A steady performer over the years, the Detroit festival is a happy hunting ground for Rahal as he wowed the crowds at last year's festival, selling out both days. The duo has sometimes been slated as "unimaginative" and "derivative", but a string of good records and performances over the last few years is turning that perception around.

Frood's album pick: YOU STEAK (AND SHAKE) MY DREAMS

mHSjQ6P.png

#7 (up 1) | NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK - ROOKIES

The New Kids have been mixing it up this year, both on their tracks and in their line-up. The band's face this year has been mainstay Robby Wickens. The young Canadian is a protégé of the hitherto best-seller Mr. Mayor, but has been stepping out of his spotlight and eclipsing his elder label-mate. Not to be discounted in the New Kids lineup, however, is Mat Leist. The Brazilian has been making fans on their tour this year and has been working closely with countryman Tony Kanaan. The ever rotating lineup on this album is completed by Jordan "J-K" King, who works well for inner-city gigs (but not stadiums), and a fresh face in Tino Ferrucci who will be eager to show that he's a talent for the future. The new album also features a mysterious fan who has apparently paid a lot of money to feature on the cover, but will not be getting a gig until later in the year. Critics have warned, however, that the singer, rumoured to be Mexican, will not be a success.

Frood's track pick: YOU GOT IT (THE LEFT TURNS)

SyKNS83.png

#8 (down 5) | BELL AND SÉBASTIEN - THE LIFE PURSUIT

Now, who saw this collaboration coming? Townsend Bell has stepped out of the commentary booth to record this lovely indie duet album with Sébastien Bourdais. Bell's dulcet tones and easy-listening background would not usually be a fit for Bourdais' harsher, introspective, and some may say whiny lyric writing; however, the result has been somewhat surprising and very listenable.

Frood's track pick: FUNNY LITTLE FROG

2SxcWKx.png

#9 (up 3) | SIMON PAGENAUD'S EARTH BAND - BLINDED BY THE LIGHT

Bursting onto the scene with a flash of colour and a dazzling array of genres has been Simon Pagenaud's Earth Band. The bestselling artist of two years ago, Pagenaud has been struggling to find artistic form since. This season's album has been faltering somewhat, with slow sales, bad timing and even a run-in with fellow artist Graham Rahal. It's been one to forget from Pagenaud this year, but a good showing in Detroit could hope to turn things around. Anyway, as you're probably not reading this, I could in theory say anything controversial and you wouldn't even know.

ESTEBAN GUTIERREZ WAS THE BEST DRIVER IN INDYCAR LAST YEAR

Frood's track pick: Sunglasses At Night (And Every Other Time of the Day)

jE6heNz.png

#10 (down 5) | MR. MAYOR - BUMP AHEAD

Oh dear. Technical difficulties at the Indianapolis gig two weeks ago meant a lot of press for James Hinchcliffe, and none of it good. Having been left off the line-up for the Indy festival, Hinchcliffe and his team have made some management decisions and have vowed to come back stronger than ever. Detroit has never been a happy hunting ground for Mr. Mayor, but with the bad publicity behind him, now is the time to change that.

Frood's track pick: MY BUMPS

Lf0sxcx.png

#11 (down 1) | MARCO ANDRETTI - MARCO SINGS THE BLUES

Years in the wilderness have taken their toll on Marco Andretti. Once touted as the next big thing, he has never really hit the right notes throughout his career. Moving to a side label of his father's main company looks as though it may have invigorated him to put out his best material for years, but he still hasn't quite hit his stride with this year's string of releases.

Frood's track pick: WE ARE FAMILY (AND YET THEY'RE ALL FASTER THAN ME)

MvlMDwz.png

#12 (down 1) | TONY KANAAN - PREHISTORIC: THE ORIGINAL 1966-67 EARLY RECORDINGS

It's unusual to see a legacy album on these charts, yet here we are with Tony Kanaan. 1966-67 represents some of Kanaan's most up-to-date work, although the earliest recordings of the man who is rumoured to have invented music. It's unusual to hear a lute or a harpsichord in modern music, but there are here in spades on this re-released collection. The sound quality may not be up there with today's standards, but Kanaan is still a man who knows how to pen a good melody.

Frood's track pick: BACH TO THE FUTURE

uqwIoFD.png

#13 SATO (up 1) | TAKUMA SATOOOOOOO - HEART

No attack, no chance. Destined to be the biggest album of the year. Will not settle for less

Frood's track pick: ALL OF THEM, THEY'RE ALL FANTASTIC

rkfPsGV.png

#14 (up 1) | CHAVIRA - CHAVIRA

Something something Gabby Chaves something something Colombia's favourite son. I have to admit something at this point, out of character. I adore Shakira. The making of the above picture was uncomfortable for everyone involved and it means I cannot concentrate. Or ever look at Gabby Chaves again.

Frood's track pick: HIPS DON'T LIE (THEY JUST SHOUT AT SIMON PAGENAUD INSTEAD)

zOZXncI.png

#15 (up 1) | PIGOTBAG - DR. HECKLE AND MR. DRIVE

Pigotbag is one of those artists quietly putting in the work but never really reaping the result. Lead singer Spencer Pigot has been putting in his best efforts to make the post-punk outfit relevant, and they seemed to have turned a corner with the last few releases. There is a way to go, though, before Pigotbag can become relevant in today's music scene.

Frood's track pick: THE INVISIBLE MAN

GOJdAyQ.png

#16 (down 1) | THE VEACH BOYS - LITTLE HONDA

The VEACH Boys have been a little hot under the collar for the last few weeks. They have had one big song on the California scene this year, but have yet to follow that success up with some real results that stick. Little Honda comes at a time when everyone is looking at the big American label in Motown, but can they manage to get themselves some notice this week?

Frood's track pick: GOOD VIBRATIONS (OR IS THAT JUST A FLATSPOT?)

1qWjHdg.png

#17 (down 3) | ED JONES - GREEN, GREEN GRASS OF SONOMA

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, or so they say. A move to big label Ganassi has had some people wondering whether a big-time contract has come too early for Ed Jones. The latest album, extolling the virtues of running at a certain California track earlier in the year, has not been a big success and has seen the Emirati singer crashing down to Earth. Jones has to start churning out some hits soon, or you start to wonder whether the label will start to lose their patience with the youngster.

Frood's track pick: WHAT'S THE (SEARS) POINT?

PvYA2CN.png

#18 (down 1) | CHARLIE KIMBALL - KIMBALL WIZARD

"Smash Hit" is a phrase that comes very easily to Charlie Kimball. Unfortunately, words tend to have two meanings.

Frood's track pick: Something from a different album

AeUvL77.png

#19 (up 1) | DJ WILLY P & MAXIMUM CHILTON - MAX POWER, MAX BASS

The second best of the two collaborations on the chart this week, and a mis-step for the chart-topper will.i.p (known at the recording of this album as DJ Willy P). This, a collaboration with big-haired money-man Maximum Chilton, is an ode to all the boy racers out there, with their odious body kits and their 6 million exhausts. Play it at deafening volume in your car with the bass turned up as far as possible and you might suffer hearing loss before is over. You hope.

Frood's track pick: UHN-SS UHN-SS UHN-SS UHN-SS

pG6n2DU.png

#20 (up 6) | RENÉ & RENATO - ONLY YOU (UNTIL THE MONEY RUNS OUT)

Certainly not the best album to ever make the IndyCar chart.

Frood's track pick: SAVE YOUR LOVE (AND YOUR EARS)

NOT MAKING THE CHART THIS WEEK

ybbyuHO.png

8QncLRs.png

Apologies, I ran out of inspiration a bit towards the end!

sblick said something about fantasy league

PWJjrlu.png

Edited by Frood, 01 June 2018 - 21:40.

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,728 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 22:50

Yay, Detroit! It's bad for passing but the most spectacular street circuit on the calendar. Where have I heard that before?

Also thank you for inspired puns and truly beautiful photoshopping.

#3 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,203 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 23:30

Damn, man. That was good. The Chaves photoshop might even give me nightmares. Bonus points for the Dixon Chicks and Kimball Wizard. Kept waiting to see Dark Side of the Munoz but figured there was no way that could ever appear so far down the charts. :p

EDIT: Also, there’s an actual person named Belle Isle. I’m assuming most of his stances are concrete which probably leads to his debates being rather bumpy, though they’re popular enough that he usually does two in a row.

Edited by Afterburner, 29 May 2018 - 23:35.

#4 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,189 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 23:35

Not only has this Monster Smash OP made me lose the Indy Blues but it also has made me forget that my flight out from the 500 has been delayed for OVER 4 hours !!... So, as I sit here at Northern Kenfcuky airport watching the 'Now Departs At' screen I've let out little whoops of joy at the ....

WAIT wut !! ¥#%+€¥$&@
NO CLAY MAN the FELLOW?
Schit, I've already picked him.

Sod it...Not changing picks.
Jp

EDIT: Kenfcuky

Edited by jonpollak, 29 May 2018 - 23:36.

#5 tokengator82

tokengator82

• 903 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 23:37

Why do they run 2 races here?

#6 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,189 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 23:42

Double dose to cure the Indy blues.
Please keep up. OP's are for reading.
Jp

#7 prommer

prommer

• 4,956 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:28

Bell and Sebastien. I lost it.   :rotfl:

#8 paulb

paulb

• 11,213 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:11

Too funny, too funny, too funny!

Thanks, Frood, for the musical trip down Indycar lane. Casey Casum is not rolling over in his grave!

#9 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,189 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:36

Lol paulb. Who here knows of Casey?
Anyway, Finally made it to JoNew's town NashVegas. I'm Bushed.

#10 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,205 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:02

Frood, that is pure gold  :up:  :lol:  Thank you for a brilliant OP. I look forward to catching up next week.

#11 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 06:22

Was it at Detroit where DJ Willy P decided to reverse down the track so he could get into the pits?

That's still one of my favourite full-IndyCar moments.

#12 king_crud

king_crud

• 8,052 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:22

best OP ever

#13 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,936 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:25

Epic OP.

Obligatory SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!111oneoneon

#14 Peat

Peat

• 8,849 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:01

Good lord. That's an OP!

#15 noriaki

noriaki

• 2,043 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:08

I held myself together until finally losing it @ track #16. Luckily no co-workers around this time.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,247 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:09

All the album covers were good but the JPM one tickled me the most.  :lol:

#17 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:10

Seabass in the river made me laugh!

#18 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:42

Post of the year :clap:

#19 FLB

FLB

• 29,670 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:44

Rahal and Oates :rotfl:

Advertisement

#20 Anja

Anja

• 10,306 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:02

Omigosh. Frood, you're a genius.  :lol:

I find the Veach cover particularly terrifying. 

#21 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:23

Omigosh. Frood, you're a genius.  :lol:

I find the Veach cover particularly terrifying.

If you're terrified by Zach Veach, you likely try to outrun your shadow on a daily basis too.

#22 Anja

Anja

• 10,306 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:33

If you're terrified by Zach Veach, you likely try to outrun your shadow on a daily basis too.

One Zach Veach is just fine. Multiple ones with the same expression somehow create a creepy, at least for me, visual. But I'll admit my brain's wiring can act a bit weird at times. 

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if Power can stay in the championship battle. It seemed set to play out between the two Young AmericansTM but that scenario can change quickly. 

Edited by Anja, 30 May 2018 - 11:45.

#23 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:47

One Zach Veach is just fine. Multiple ones with the same expression somehow create a creepy, at least for me, visual. But I'll admit my brain's wiring can act a bit weird at times.

Veaches come from a can
They were put there by a man
In a factory downtown...

Edited by Frood, 30 May 2018 - 11:47.

#24 maximilian

maximilian

• 8,113 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:02

OMFG, Dr. Frood!  :rotfl:

Just when I think I've seen it all in IndyCar OPs, here you come!  That damn emoticon limit is gonna get me:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:  :up:

Thanks, Doc.  I feel a lot better, already!  :lol:

Also, I've heard that VEACH is on fire lately!

Edited by maximilian, 30 May 2018 - 12:04.

#25 Antemeridian

Antemeridian

• 209 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 13:28

And of course this weekend I'm in Singapore for a conference. While I'll be on the ground for both races, that is the usual 2-3 hour window I can actually sleep with this jetlag... 

Oh well, something to schedule on the PVR and watch when I'm not sure what time zone I'm in next week.

#26 Berner

Berner

• 1,190 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 13:44

Great spot to stop off on your way to Montreal. Three races in 7 days. Excellent!

#27 H0R

H0R

• 4,102 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 13:45

Good lord. :eek:

#28 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 13:51

Great spot to stop off on your way to Montreal. Three races in 7 days. Excellent!

This is putting a future holiday into my mind... I've never been out of Europe!

Indy 500
Dual In Detroit
Montreal GP

#29 rghojai

rghojai

• 2,010 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 14:32

That is tremendously great.

#30 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,189 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 14:44

We may need a new album cover soon. https://twitter.com/...1356774400?s=21

#31 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,205 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 15:16

I think we'd all very happily welcome Alonso across to IndyCar  :up: Give him Andretti's seat and I'd say you have an epic line-up for AA.

#32 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 16:29

Been saying for at least the last year that if Alonso is serious about that Triple Crown, holding out for a third F1 title is only going to hinder him. Also, why on earth race that McLaren to some points when you could race some IndyCars for the win?

Can't think of many downsides to Alonso jumping ship - especially if he brings McLaren with him. Hope the rumors are true myself.

#33 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 16:34

It's unclear right now as to whether Alonso will ever win an F1 race again. Even a podium is highly unlikely for the rest of this season at least.

Indy Car will give him a chance of being a champion again.

I can't see any reason, other than money, for him to stay in F1 unless he gets a better ride.

The same for a lot of F1 drivers. At some point Hulkenberg needs to move on unless he thinks he can progress to a better team.

#34 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 17:23

ISMkyNS.png

#35 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,205 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 17:27

With that ABBA reference, this thread is now complete  :up:

#36 Ben1445

Ben1445

• 12,073 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 18:55

Alonso's latest tweet suggests he's in New York for a Kimoa based event. Will he make a sneaky Detroit visit alongside the other expected McLaren delegates? 

#37 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,203 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 20:09

So my wife and I are listening to Hinch’s episode of Dinner with Racers on the way back from our honeymoon (after listening to the rest of the 500 on radio of course), and Mr. Heckman pops in beforehand to mention that the interview was recorded before the qualifying and ‘personnel changes’ at SPM. I look at Racer and see that Hinch’s old assistant engineer has been reinstated and Leena Gade has been dropped.

What the hell? I mean, missing the 500 with a very competitive entry isn’t something I’d expect anyone without experience to be excused for, but damn that’s harsh. Am I missing something?

Edited by Afterburner, 30 May 2018 - 20:11.

#38 Vielleicht

Vielleicht

• 5,961 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 20:28

Alonso's latest tweet suggests he's in New York for a Kimoa based event. Will he make a sneaky Detroit visit alongside the other expected McLaren delegates? 

Won't he be at the Le Mans test this weekend though?

#39 Anja

Anja

• 10,306 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 20:30

So my wife and I are listening to Hinch’s episode of Dinner with Racers on the way back from our honeymoon (after listening to the rest of the 500 on radio of course), and Mr. Heckman pops in beforehand to mention that the interview was recorded before the qualifying and ‘personnel changes’ at SPM. I look at Racer and see that Hinch’s old assistant engineer has been reinstated and Leena Gade has been dropped.

What the hell? I mean, missing the 500 with a very competitive entry isn’t something I’d expect anyone without experience to be excused for, but damn that’s harsh. Am I missing something?

From what I heard there was more to the story than just the Indy bump, supposedly the whole cooperation didn't work very well from the start. Too much contrasting ideas and approach, they couldn't find any compromise. 

Advertisement

#40 B Squared

B Squared

• 7,331 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 00:42

For Anja - an acquaintance at work revealed he recently sold Zach Veach a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy, heck he'll be smaller than the beast when it grows up. He certainly must have a good heart, possibly for self-survival so it doesn't decide to devour him.

#41 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,189 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 02:33

The weekend looks wet.

#42 paulb

paulb

• 11,213 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:27

Frood, your OP is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. I nominate it for being pinned.

#43 Frood

Frood

• 9,243 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:23

The weekend looks wet.

That could be interesting. 2015 was wet, wasn’t it? When Muñoz won?

#44 sblick

sblick

• 1,208 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:38

2015 or 16 was wet and COLD.  What a miserable day in the seats.

#45 Nonesuch

Nonesuch

• 15,870 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:39

Not a whole lot, Racer mentioned that '... signs of hardships were visible on pit lane during the recent April 30 Open Test and continued as practice got under way last week.'

Sounds like a story that won't really be understood by those outside the team.

Gade seemed quite keen on her move, so seeing it end so quickly is definitely disappointing. I'm sure some IMSA teams have already been on the phone.

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,728 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:43

That could be interesting. 2015 was wet, wasn’t it? When Muñoz won?

The race when it was wet the whole way through was quite interesting. In the other one IIRC it rained on and off and it seemed like the whole race was run under yellows.

#47 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,936 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:16

dFLtwik.jpg

#48 Peat

Peat

• 8,849 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 13:51

f8fec73660a20b99be709ddfa2d4a803.jpg

#49 LeClerc

LeClerc

• 24,936 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 14:24

:D

Nothing good can come of it, but I'm starting to be boringly predictable with regards to this topic, so I'll refrain from further comments on the matter.

#50 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,189 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 15:07

That's very magnanimous of you LeClec.
Considering the weight of posts incoming should he sign on the dotted line.
Jp