Red Bull Honda officially announced for 2019

• Please log in to reply
2098 replies to this topic

#1801 Reddington

Reddington

• 459 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:40

Or Red Bull would of quit cos they couldn't get a decent engine

Nope. Then the rule would apply that one of the remaining suppliers have to supply them with engines. That was the result of the situation that happened before and Bernie took action that way, remember? A3 is fully correct in this case.

For the rest, this thread guys..... (#shakinghead)

Advertisement

#1802 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,223 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:41

If Ferrari and Mercedes would be the only two PU manufacturers in F1, they would have had no choice as under FIA-regulations they would have to supply Red Bull.

edit: as Reddington said.

Edited by Ivanhoe, 04 January 2019 - 10:42.

#1803 Eruobodo

Eruobodo

• 786 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:03

Nope. Then the rule would apply that one of the remaining suppliers have to supply them with engines. That was the result of the situation that happened before and Bernie took action that way, remember? A3 is fully correct in this case.

For the rest, this thread guys..... (#shakinghead)

Ferrari or Mercedes would have supplied them, but, I am sure they will only give the bare minimum support, they might even not allow them use their fuels.

#1804 A3

A3

• 28,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:30

I regret my post already.

#1805 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,825 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:54

Because Ferrari and Mercedes are stupid enough to pay massive amounts and resources more than RB for developing then sell it for 20 or 30mil in order for RB to be able to compete  :rotfl: .

maybe provide some numbers with your statements?

Cannot find you're massive amounts and resources anywhere, on the other hand

"Wolff says that engine costs are now a relatively small element of a customer team's budget.

"It's five percent of the big teams' overall costs – five percent. And for the smaller teams it's between 8-10 percent. Is that acceptable for a sport that's called motorsport?

"The very opportunistic and one-sided argument of certain teams to push the engine prices further down, and on the other side to spend £200m plus on chassis development, isn't correct."

https://www.motorspo...943813/3041963/

#1806 ExEd

ExEd

• 655 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:21

maybe provide some numbers with your statements?

Cannot find you're massive amounts and resources anywhere, on the other hand

"Wolff says that engine costs are now a relatively small element of a customer team's budget.

"It's five percent of the big teams' overall costs – five percent. And for the smaller teams it's between 8-10 percent. Is that acceptable for a sport that's called motorsport?

"The very opportunistic and one-sided argument of certain teams to push the engine prices further down, and on the other side to spend £200m plus on chassis development, isn't correct."

https://www.motorspo...943813/3041963/

You need numbers to know that it needs more resources to develop a product than just buying it? 

We back in 1st grade?  :stoned:

Edited by ExEd, 04 January 2019 - 12:23.

#1807 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,825 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:35

You need numbers to know that it needs more resources to develop a product than just buying it? 

We back in 1st grade?  :stoned:

no, we just have to take you're word for it that it's massive  :up:

#1808 restless

restless

• 546 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:52

Anyone japan-speaking who can translate https://www.f1techni...=806884#p806884 ?

https://i.ibb.co/Bs7G7bz/1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/r7D6S67/2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/nLwFRnY/3.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/nf3xjPv/4.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/42yNFT7/4-1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/wYfn0CB/5.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/LRMt5SL/5-1.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/1vjJqmX/6.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/ss0f6G3/7.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/zr4rG5N/8.jpg

#1809 ExEd

ExEd

• 655 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:00

no, we just have to take you're word for it that it's massive  :up:

Its' called common sense and basic knowledge, the one that develops and creates a product requires to put more effort than the one buying it from the shelf. 

I think I've realised that around the age of 5 or something but hey, no worries  :up:

Besides the point of my post was not on the amount rather the idea of RB (or any customer) beating the engine developers with their engine is not going to happen.

But I guess you already know that...

Edited by ExEd, 04 January 2019 - 13:04.

#1810 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,825 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:15

Its' called common sense and basic knowledge, the one that develops and creates a product requires to put more effort than the one buying it from the shelf. 

I think I've realised that around the age of 5 or something but hey, no worries  :up:

Besides the point of my post was not on the amount rather the idea of RB (or any customer) beating the engine developers with their engine is not going to happen.

no worries, I see you didn't develop you're ways of having a discussion since the age of five either

#1811 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 13:48

If Ferrari and Mercedes would be the only two PU manufacturers in F1, they would have had no choice as under FIA-regulations they would have to supply Red Bull.

edit: as Reddington said.

That wasn't the rule back then though.

#1812 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,240 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 14:05

I think I've realised that around the age of 5 or something but hey, no worries :up:

The highest investments were in the first few years for Mercedes powertrains. They might actually make profits now.

I dont have the numbers at hand, but the Mercedes Powertrain company publishes annual reports in which the financial results are disclosed. You might want to look it up :).

The business world is both easier and more complex than you seem to think.

#1813 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,240 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 14:49

I took some time to verify my above post.

Mercedes AMG High performance powertrains, the Mercedes legal entity which provides the F1 Power Units, was already making a profit as early as 2016.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F

#1814 RSRally

RSRally

• 832 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 15:53

Don't think it's been mentioned here but Toro Rosso looks set to be even more of a parts bin special next year, so much so that TR won't bother replacing James Key. I guess that means they should be pretty competitive at least.

#1815 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,825 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 16:24

Mercedes AMG High performance powertrains, the Mercedes legal entity which provides the F1 Power Units, was already making a profit as early as 2016.

I knew this when I was 5  :rotfl:

#1816 sgtkate

sgtkate

• 286 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 16:58

While the posting style leaves a lot to be desired, I don't think his/her point was wrong.

He/She was saying that it's much EASIER to buy something off the shelf than to develop it yourself, this is obviously correct regardless of whether a product becomes profitable or not. The developer takes all the risk and the buyer barely any.

Edited by sgtkate, 04 January 2019 - 16:59.

#1817 ExEd

ExEd

• 655 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 17:39

Yet somehow you are missing the point again (and again) What you are posting is completely irrelevant to what Ive been quoted for. 

Quoting a post with a random board with ,irrelevant to my argument, numbers doesn't make any point. 

Meanwhile scroll up, read , try to understand if you can and then come back. 

By the way  Requiem ,thanks for the info :up: .But the profit/loss isn't what I was talking about.

Merc PU might have make more money in the end then has been spend, but this doesn't make the effort/risk any less.

Its not that they got pre paid for the products back in 2014 nor that success was granted. 

If RB or Maca or anyone else wants to avoid to get stuck with "crappy engines" they should make their own if thats so easy/cheap no? 

That was my original point that some smart lads carefully chose to ignore. 

Edited by ExEd, 04 January 2019 - 17:43.

#1818 BalanceUT

BalanceUT

• 1,815 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 17:50

numbers don't add up, except for Ferrari. 

#1819 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,240 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:37

Numbers are from all the teams own financial statements. Which are checked and signed off by big audit firms.

They do add up.

Advertisement

#1820 pdac

pdac

• 7,526 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:43

Directors lunch expenses are not included in the costs.

#1821 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,530 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:49

Numbers are from all the teams own financial statements. Which are checked and signed off by big audit firms.

They do add up.

So you believe Renault’s PU budget is over 50% higher than Mercs? I don’t.

#1822 Ragnar668

Ragnar668

• 1,825 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 18:59

While the posting style leaves a lot to be desired, I don't think his/her point was wrong.

He/She was saying that it's much EASIER to buy something off the shelf than to develop it yourself, this is obviously correct regardless of whether a product becomes profitable or not. The developer takes all the risk and the buyer barely any.

That I do agree with, but I was asking him for the numbers because of the bold bit below, which he can't provide, but Requiem84 can and he has proven him wrong
As a result, he chooses to insult people
Anyhow, he just made my ignore list, done with him

Because Ferrari and Mercedes are stupid enough to pay massive amounts and resources more than RB for developing then sell it for 20 or 30mil in order for RB to be able to compete  :rotfl: .

#1823 RSRally

RSRally

• 832 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 21:01

They do add up.

Not sure the latter two statements are compatible..

#1824 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,693 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 22:57

Honda cooperation with AVL and Illien terminated

https://www.autobild...--10924171.html

#1825 Danyy

Danyy

• 1,915 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:08

“First friction in Red Bull Honda” is that articles headline but according to Horner in this recent article communication is fine

http://f1i.com/news/...ement-2019.html

#1826 Reddington

Reddington

• 459 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:14

Its' called common sense and basic knowledge...

Ah, so RBR didn’t beat their engine developer/supplier the last years. Got it!

#1827 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

• 6,223 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:14

“First friction in Red Bull Honda” is that articles headline

It’s Bildzeitung, so no surprise.

#1828 Talisman

Talisman

• 5,530 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:45

Anyone japan-speaking who can translate https://www.f1techni...=806884#p806884 ?

I used to translate these for a more technically orientated F1 forum until they started deleting translations that they deemed off topic.  Hopefully that won't be the case here.

I can't make out many of the characters.  Regarding changes from the 2017 unit, the air filter is bigger.  Again the tube from the air filter to the compressor is bigger and of a shallower angle so the airflow is easier.  The same is true of the tailpipe (exhaust?)

The first target for the 18 engine was reliability.  Although almost all of the parts are new the PU appears very similar to the previous.  Combustion is where there is most to gain, but they didn't want to change too much as introducing too many technologies at once as per the previous three years could have resulted in similar reliability issues.  I think they mean the 2018 unit started with the 2017 combustion system while other teams developed the combustion systems that were introduced during the season.  They aimed primarily for reliability with spec 1 with some performance gains but spec 2 and 3 were more performance orientated.  Spec 3 performance gains were far in excess of what was expected and that resulted in problems balancing that with the reliability.  In Russia the spec 3 suffered from oscillation issues just after upshifts as the revs dropped.  This has been resolved completely and they are confident this problem won't recur for 2019.  Oscillation issues don't arise in other Honda PUs in other formula.  This is because in a fuel limited formula (ie F1) power is gained by increasing the compression ratio and making the fuel/air ration leaner.  The leaner it gets the more unstable the mixture.  At about 10-12.5k rpm combustion times are incredibly short and the slightest issue can cause problems.  Ideally to convert combustion to kinetic energy most economically the combustion time should be as short as possible but this causes difficulties.  Also with seamless shift gearboxes the transition from combustion at the higher revs with the previous gear to the lower revs of the next gear is nearly instantaneous.  In other formula there is no fuel flow limitation, the engine operates at lower RPM and seamless shift gearboxes aren't used.

Honda gelled well with STR and the new team allowed Honda to change the air filter, tube to the compressor and tailpipe to improve airflow although this resulted in increased bulk.  Also STR provided an intercooler with less loss.  So Honda believed merely switching teams allowed them to liberate a little power.  STR's attitude was to let Honda do what was required to improve their performance then fit the chassis around it which was different to before.  Likewise the 2017 oil tank which caused so many problems was designed in such a way to minimise space use, however the 2018 tank is bulkier which has resolved the previously encountered issues that caused so many problems in 2017 with the MGUH shaft, again thanks to STR being more tolerant of the PU dimensions increasing.  McLaren preferred to have the intercoolers on the left while STR prefers them split on both sides, apparently purely a difference of philosophy.  The 2017 and 2018 units reflect this difference.

The PU harvests energy in three ways.  Via the MGUK during acceleration (sapping some energy off the ICE), during braking and also via the MGUH to the battery.  The first two methods are limited to 2MJ per lap, the latter is unlimited.  More than half the energy harvested during a typical lap is through the latter method (my note, this is pretty amazing given this technology was only introduced by Honda mid 2017).  Apparently efficiency improved from 2017 to 2018 despite a handicap resulting from changing teams due to a difference in gear ratio selection between McLaren and STR.  Apparently McLaren prefer shorter gear ratios with the PU operating in a higher rev range while STR prefers longer gear ratios with the PU operating at a lower rev range.  Harvesting from a higher rev range is easier and therefore switching to lower operating revs decreased the efficiency, despite this it is still better than in 2017.  Energy is deployed largely via the MGUK but with a small amount being used to e-boost the MGUH.

Spec 2 improved combustion, exhaust efficiency and less losses from the water pump.  As STR and Honda had not worked with each other before the first spec PU and chassis were developed with large margins of error.  The spec 2 was developed with a smaller margin of error as they knew STR's radiator specs more precisely, hence the smaller water pump.  Spec 2 was a development of the spec 1, but spec 3 had new technologies including something that they had found that improved performance substantially resulting in a bigger step over spec 2 than spec 2 was over spec 1.

The 2019 unit will be a refinement of the 2018 unit.  If there was no MGUH then combustion would simply be made leaner to improve power, but with an MGUH this would result in decreased harvesting so a balance has to be found.  Some tracks put more emphasis on ICE performance, others more on MGUH performance so both need to be improved and different balances between the two found for each track.  However 2018 has provided new perspectives and has shown that some of the technologies being developed have real potential.

#1829 lio007

lio007

• 235 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 23:55

“First friction in Red Bull Honda” is that articles headline but according to Horner in this recent article communication is fine

http://f1i.com/news/...ement-2019.html

The headline suggests something very different what's actually written in the article. A very Bild-typical headline. There are no problems between Red bull and Honda, but they (Honda) ended the partnership with AVL, because there were some disagreements with the AVL-Project Manager. A side note: this is the same Project Manager who has also been the reason for Ferrari to end the partnership with AVL.

#1830 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 5,400 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 00:47

Some strong words by Ross Braun stating he believes red bull Honda will be a championship winning team at some point.

For me that's the best indication yet.

#1831 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,240 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:18

So you believe Renault’s PU budget is over 50% higher than Mercs? I don’t.

I agree that this is unlikely.

But we do not know what extra activities are taking place in these legal entities, now do we know the overhead costs etc.

So to conclude directly that a higher budget in that company equals a higher F1 PU development is not possible. You would need to check the financial statements in detail to see how the money is spend and on what it is spend.

#1832 statman

statman

• 4,240 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:20

Honda cooperation with AVL and Illien terminated

https://www.autobild...--10924171.html

Translation from German:

First friction at Red Bull Honda
Red Bull drives 2019 for the first time with Honda engines in the back. But even before the first race there are tensions. The backgrounds exclusively at ABMS:

The cooperation between the Japanese car manufacturer and the Graz simulation specialist AVL has been put on hold. AVL is the world's largest independent company for the development, simulation and testing of drive systems (hybrid and combustion engines, transmissions, electric motors, batteries and software) for passenger cars, commercial vehicles and large engines with its own test bench. Honda has been using the Austrians' equipment for some time to improve its Formula 1 engine.

Reason of separation: quarrels between a project leader from AVL and the Honda engineers. Interesting: Disagreements with that project leader had already led to the end of the collaboration between Ferrari and AVL. The Italians had used the innovative systems of AVL before Honda. Red Bull Motorsport Director Helmut Marko (75) confirmed the ABMS information on demand.

Marko also said that the collaboration between ex-Mercedes engine boss Mario Illien (69) and Honda would be limited. Honda had hired the Swiss engine genius to combat the strong vibrations of the Honda internal combustion engine. The result is that the full power of the Japanese hybrid engine, whose horsepower theoretically should be higher than that of the Renault engine, could never be fully retrieved. Apparently Illien did not have the brilliant idea. Honda wants to solve the problems now anyway alone. Marko is in this case but the all-clear: "For this purpose, appropriate measures have been initiated."

All in all, the Austrian is convinced of the success in 2019. "Honda has already overtaken Renault and will be even better in 2019. Then Max (Verstappen, d. Red.) Has everything together to make it. It certainly will not be up to him. He is improving all the time, there seems to be no limit for him! "

#1833 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:32

That is not a good sign

#1834 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 1,790 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:08

Seems like Illien no longer have the magic touch and AVL seems overrated.

Renault,Honda no longer want to work with him.

#1835 Maxioos

Maxioos

• 3,344 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:49

Seems like Illien no longer have the magic touch and AVL seems overrated.

Renault,Honda no longer want to work with him.

And Ferrari.

#1836 lio007

lio007

• 235 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:09

That is not a good sign

I don't see why?

#1837 ExEd

ExEd

• 655 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:47

Ah, so RBR didn’t beat their engine developer/supplier the last years. Got it!

LOL, what supplier ? The one that had set as a main target (at the time ) to get to the points,  maybe a podium if the stars align?  

Obviously I'm talking about the case they compete for the same targets, how can you compare Renault back then with todays Ferrari or Merc 

#1838 ExEd

ExEd

• 655 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:52

That is not a good sign

Actually I think it is.

The fact that they decided AVL that its not working for them and act about it. 

I mean if there are communication issues with the engineers it would be disastrous to hide it under the carpet. 

Edited by ExEd, 05 January 2019 - 12:53.

#1839 Maustinsj

Maustinsj

• 4,336 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 15:40

Some strong words by Ross Braun stating he believes red bull Honda will be a championship winning team at some point.

For me that's the best indication yet.

Does Ross Braun know where Ross Brown is?

Advertisement

#1840 PedroDiCasttro

PedroDiCasttro

• 1,416 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 15:49

Does Ross Braun know where Ross Brown is?

And does Ross Brown know where Ross Brawn is?  :lol:

#1841 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,503 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 15:57

That is not a good sign

It probably won't make a huge difference. TR was their test mule last year, and it sounds like RB are taking it to the max in 2019. Such is the beauty of having a dedicated track testing team.

#1842 A3

A3

• 28,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 22:39

First shot of Max in a Honda powered F1 car:

VvuEvzl.png

#1843 Juanto

Juanto

• 155 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 22:42

So basically Red Bull will again underperform in 2019 because of another average PU?

#1844 Requiem84

Requiem84

• 5,240 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 22:49

So basically Red Bull will again underperform in 2019 because of another average PU?

To which post are you replying?

#1845 Juanto

Juanto

• 155 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 22:52

To which post are you replying?

Just to the general feeling that this partnership RB/Honda isnt really leading the team to more titles.

#1846 Cliff

Cliff

• 731 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 23:03

Just to the general feeling that this partnership RB/Honda isnt really leading the team to more titles.

What general feeling? One article about Honda ditching a partnership with a company Ferrari dumped not too long ago?

#1847 JimmyTheFox

JimmyTheFox

• 327 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 23:42

spec 3 had new technologies including something that they had found that improved performance substantially

The 2019 unit will be a refinement of the 2018 unit.

I wonder if this is fuel reforming catalyst device Honda and ExxonMobil have been working on as per Schummie01 on verstappen.nl?

His latest post says in a recent sim session by Verstappen, the Honda spec 3 powered RBR15 was 1.4 seconds faster than 2018 at Catalunya.

Edited by JimmyTheFox, 05 January 2019 - 23:46.

#1848 RPM40

RPM40

• 10,773 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:49

I wonder if this is fuel reforming catalyst device Honda and ExxonMobil have been working on as per Schummie01 on verstappen.nl?

His latest post says in a recent sim session by Verstappen, the Honda spec 3 powered RBR15 was 1.4 seconds faster than 2018 at Catalunya.

What about the RB15B coming mid year?

#1849 RSRally

RSRally

• 832 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 06:06

First shot of Max in a Honda powered F1 car:

VvuEvzl.png

It's not Max but Red Bull have relaunched their junior programne as the supply has dried up a bit recently and Max is knocking on a bit now..

#1850 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,503 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:11

That would certainly be impressive. A quick google suggests a rough equivalence of 0.016 seconds per bhp, which would mean an advantage of almost 90 bhp over the 2018 Renault (although I presume the sim disregards the vibration issues)