Photo

PATHETIC race fans

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 lulup

lulup

• 1,190 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 10:16

I just watched the race yesterday.(I was tried very hard to left any TV sport-news/internet etc.... alone!)
And I couldn't believe some so-called fans's behavior.I noticed that some people were cheering when MH retire in the last lap.
They make me sick.:evil::evil::evil:
It's a shame!They doesn't care about RACING.They hate COMPETITION.All their hope is everybody screw-up to let their idol cruising in the whole race.
I have one word for these people,as well as anyone who had similar behavior(cheer for other people unlucky/crash etc......) in MS/99 Silverstone's accident or MH/99 Monza's spun:
PATHETIC
:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:
I sincerely hope no one in this BB is this type of fans.

Finally,I give credit to MS/MH for their behavior after the race.They respect each other unlike some of their fans.

Advertisement

#2 mel

mel
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,853 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 10:19

There was another thread about this. Let me try to find it for you.

#3 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 10:23

Yeah its pretty disgusting. I don't care who wins a race, as long as they deserve it, I'm happy. The worst fans are by far Ferrari fans, as much as I hate to admit it. They certainly no how to spoil an excellent day at the races with their jeering and insult, not only shouted out at team members, but at other fans.

Last Aussie grandprix i went to, i was so disgusted by some of the Ferrari fans(by no means all, as I am included in their number) that I declined on wearing anything red the next day. Was no way I wanted to be linked the them in anyway.

#4 magic

magic

• 5,678 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 10:54

verbal hooliganism by bernies-pocket-fillers.

#5 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 11:36

As much as I want to agree with your comments, I have to admit to cheering and jumping up and down a little bit around about the time when both Ferrari's went through the gravel at Sepang.:blush:

I have attended many GPs but that was the first time my (negative) emotions got the better of me.

To be fair, I think the behavior of those Ferrari fans on Sunday, cannot be compared to those who cheered when MS crashed at Silverstone in 1999. One was a clutch/engine failure the other was a serious accident.

#6 NYR2119935

NYR2119935

• 2,556 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 11:42

wow
I thought F1 fans were more civilized than CART fans and American fans in general. :rolleyes:

#7 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 11:45

Thats more heat of the moment reactions for most undoubtedly, when they cheer when someone else goes out, it happens when you're surrounded by fans of the sport.

My personal experiences of fans chanting for "crashes" was when both ferrari's went off at sepang this year, I couldn't believe how many people were jumping up and down in joy, I was in a moment of I don't know what, I was really still and snapped a few very crappy pictures.

#8 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 11:49

compare cheering in f1 when your fav's rival fails to what happens in soccer matches.

#9 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 11:49

Actually, as soon as Hakkinen stepped out of the car, the cheering turned to a standing ovation - everyone around was standing and clapping their hands at him. So I would say the fans were acting sportingly and superbly, all things considered.

#10 Chris G.

Chris G.

• 6,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 11:57

GIVE ME A BREAK. You've never cheered when luck went the way of your driver?? Your post is one big sour-grapes whine-fest.

Though an MS fan, I wanted Mika to win and thought it would be great to see MS and Mika on the podium again. But, the excitement of the moment had me jumping up and down cheering too. I was cheering for the fact that MS pulled out another win, NOT MIKA'S BAD LUCK. It's not like he wrecked. If you don't think it's acceptable to cheer when a mechanical failure goes the way of your driver, you are just kidding yourself. There is a difference and you are just crying over spilled milk.

#11 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 12:05

I cheered untill the final lap, .... damned final lap...

and I saw the cheering as well, ... pretty low, yeah...

an ovation would be on place,...

#12 Peter

Peter

• 1,401 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 12:09

Oh come on! Get real!

Of course a fan is going to cheer when they see a rival's car pull off! It means the person they support is going to benefit!

What do you think the word "fan" means?

Did you object to the cheering of other fans when MS crashed in Silverstome - even when it was possible that he had been seriously injured in the crash?

Many people jump up when they see something like this and cheer the demise of rivals - in this case because it was unexpected and led to a late change in the race leadership.

In this case it was a retirement due to mechanical failure and MH just rolled to a stop - nothing life-threatening.

#13 SchuMic

SchuMic

• 4,066 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 12:10

I must say I most agree with Chris.

Yes, I jumped up from my sofa first of surprise, I couldn't believe it then of joy because MS had a superb occasion (at that moment I was crossing my fingers for MS to reach the finish line) to win.

BUT I felt pretty sad for MH. even if I'm a MS fan, I've lot of respect for MH. And I told my gorl that it was really sad for Mikka and that HE deserved the win.

Before the Merc engine failed, I was quite happy of the result and said "Wow, Mika is back. Great race! He's gonna win fair & square :up:".

I think it is important to make a difference between fans who are happy because MS won and those who were happy because MH bad luck.

Hoping for someone to crash is another matter...and THIS is of course really pathetic!

#14 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,833 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 13:18

Originally posted by 100cc
compare cheering in f1 when your fav's rival fails to what happens in soccer matches.

What happens in 'soccer' matches exactly?

#15 AT-LAW

AT-LAW

• 923 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 13:23

:confused:

It was so natural...Did you notice that the Williams crew were cheering like little boys when MH´s engine blow away? As for sports, I guess you can only expect some fans respect at tennis or golf (but not in the States, anyway).

#16 Sphinx

Sphinx

• 726 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 13:34

When I saw all those fans clapping and cheering when Mika broke down, I immediately thought, "man, those guys are classless. that sucks". It looked like a gang ready to pounce on Mika. But, hey, for a Ferrari fan he is the enemy, and it is only natural as a fan to react with happiness if your rival (McLaren) makes a mistake.

What was most impressive is the cheering and clapping given to Mika after he stepped out of the car. The fans gave him maximum appreciation, and I was glad he responded to them with "thumbs-up" and waving.

To be quite honest, as a Mika fan, I would much rather it have been MS who was in first and fell out of the race, and Mika be the one who took the win. I would be cheering too. The rationalization for this statement is that Mika truly needed those points, and MS would not have scored any. But, that's racing....live with it and move forward.

I'm just happy Mika performed so well. And congratulations to MS for bringing in a car with suspect suspension and tires to a win. Impressive.

#17 g0nz

g0nz

• 102 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 13:38

COME ON!!! SORT YOUR HEAD OUT!!! It's a sport, and a passionate one at that. Would you criticise fans of a football team cheering if the other team scored an own goal? I DON'T THINK SO.

#18 Mrv

Mrv

• 6,416 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 14:10

The only thing PATHETIC is this thread!!!

#19 Chris G.

Chris G.

• 6,585 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 14:35

Originally posted by Mrv
The only thing PATHETIC is this thread!!!

Agreed. Never thought things would get so petty with the MS-haters.

Advertisement

#20 BlackGhost

BlackGhost

• 986 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 14:39

When Schumi hit the wall in Silverstone in 99 some fans where cheering, listen to Murray Walker on the tape of the race, you'll understand.

I cheered when Mika went out last Sunday, I don't see what's wrong with that.

People cheered when Mika came out in front of MS.

I cheer when my drive leads and as long as people are not injured or have a dangerous accident.

#21 UStifosi

UStifosi

• 70 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 14:53

I LOVED IT! I cheered my ass off. McLaren, knowing that Mika had a problem with engine hitting the rev-limiter during shifts, still had him out there setting a blistering pace. How stupid can you get. Oh yea, it's Ron Dennis we're talking about here. With a stupid strategy like that McLaren deserved to lose. Mika should have backed off to preserve the car and the victory. McLaren, outsmarted by Ferrari yet again.

hehehehehehehe

#22 arcwulf7

arcwulf7

• 2,580 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 14:56

Much ado about nothing. I remember sitting in the Grand Stands in Montreal when the great Ayrton Senna's engine blew as he passed, in the lead. Everyone rose with a collective exclamation, some cheered, but he got a rolling standing ovation from EVERYBODY as walked back to his garage. Certainly MH seemed to take some comfort from the crowd by waving to them, a little commiseration for a big part of motorSPORT, reliability.

#23 BlackGhost

BlackGhost

• 986 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 14:57

Originally posted by UStifosi
I LOVED IT! I cheered my ass off. McLaren, knowing that Mika had a problem with engine hitting the rev-limiter during shifts, still had him out there setting a blistering pace. How stupid can you get. Oh yea, it's Ron Dennis we're talking about here. With a stupid strategy like that McLaren deserved to lose. Mika should have backed off to preserve the car and the victory. McLaren, outsmarted by Ferrari yet again.

hehehehehehehe

You have to admit it was a fun moment for Schumi/Ferrari fans.

I've rewatched those last laps at least 50 times listening to Martin Brundle and Walker go insane!

" Murray, he's slowing down, Mika is slowing down..."

Love it.

#24 pRy

pRy

• 26,336 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 14:57

MH is gaining more and more fans by the race, mainly MS fans who are following Michaels lead of being MH's best friend :)

#25 BlackGhost

BlackGhost

• 986 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 15:03

Originally posted by pRy
MH is gaining more and more fans by the race, mainly MS fans who are following Michaels lead of being MH's best friend :)

Good, Mika is A1 OK as a person. :up:

#26 CDNgrl

CDNgrl

• 8,366 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 15:05

I cheered like an idiot, but I don't think that makes me pathetic. Any of the three ahead of Jax could have gone out and I would have cheered. I was just so happy to see that he was going on the podium. After the dryspell --- I'm certainly entitled to that bit of excitment!

Cheering and jeering is different. I wasn't cheering Mika going OFF, I was cheering Jax getting ON.

#27 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 15:27

Chris G... exactly. I wasn't cheering for MH when he retired... I was like that sucks for him, but at the same time MS got a win and JPM got 2nd. So I was jumping up and down. Plus if you really look closely, MH was waiving to the crowd and the crowd was responding. What is pathetic is that we have fans that can't see that.

Oh yeah, and prior to MH's retirement in the race I was cheering for him to get his first win of the season.

#28 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 16:04

the same people who are saying Ferrari fans are pathetic or the worst because they cheered Mika's misfortune, are the same people who were sitting with fingers crossed hoping and begging that also Schumacher's suspension or tire would finally fail...........you are so full of it!!!!!

#29 jaxfan

jaxfan

• 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 16:18

I hang my head in shame, stupid pathetic race fan that I am. I yelled, cheered, danced, after 3 years Jax was going to the podium. My husband & I are standing, yelling, oh it felt soooooo good & I would do it again in a minute. :p

#30 JayWay

JayWay

• 11,618 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 16:19

Auhuahua! What a stupid thread!

This isn't a lesson on good manners, it's F1, it's supposed to be taking joy in the competition. There is a big difference between cheering when a driver crashes, and when a drivers engine fails. People were happy because they knew MS was one step closer to the WDC, or that JV or JPM had made it to the podium. These people at the race pay $200 to watch there favorite drivers succeed, they aren't gonna go all sad just because some other driver had bad luck. It shows no disprespect, it only shows passion for the sport.

#31 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 16:23

"It shows no disprespect, it only shows passion for the sport."

The clapping and cheering Mika received after coming out of his car clearly shows what these poeple's opinion of him REALLY his. They recognized his talent and effort, they were simply happy "their" driver, whether Schumi, JPM or JV, got a better prize

#32 Lamont

Lamont

• 1,221 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 16:53

I cheered. I felt sorry for Mika afterwards, but at the time I was so depressed by the apparent McLaren victory that the sudden turnaround was just wonderful.

It's called emotions. I have 'em. Guess that makes me PATHETIC..... :rolleyes:

#33 Leo#@2

Leo#@2

• 32 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 16:58

PATHETIC WILLIAMS FANS THAT ARE ALREADY CLAIMING FOR JPM'S HEAD

#34 917k

• 2,962 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 17:11

Why respond to this stupidity??????????????

#35 PEW

PEW

• 1,127 posts

Posted 04 May 2001 - 18:34

Okay- it may have looked in bad taste for the fans in red to cheer when Mika's car died but I have never been to a race where the post -race atmosphere was so low key. The air-horn symphony and upstanding applause from the fans in red given to Mika whilst he toured back on the side pod of DC's was very sincere and reflected their feelings of appreciation for the "enemy". The emotions are so heightened at the circuit that the initial response to any incident i.e. Silverstone99 is unconsidered. Not PATHETIC but just part of being there. Leaving the circuit there was no jubilation from the Schumi fans and all those that I met were unusually subdued.

#36 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 00:07

im a big schumie fan. and i still see mika as mikes main threat overall, but the first thing i thought/said when i saw mika slowing was "aaahh feck mika..thats rough" and felt bad/sorry for the guy......

then when mike snuck through and mugged mika for his luckiest ever win i had a bit of a cheer....nothing to do with being a bad fan or whatever...just surprised and relieved mike somehow stole the unwinable win.

#37 colejk

colejk

• 331 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 07:52

Lulup,
so what do you exactly cheer for? WTF! This is sports.
F1 has always been like this. People get pasionate.
It would be damm boring if there were no dnfs. Due to the limited passing how would teams like Sauber, BAR etc..ever score points if the top teams never DNF'd? So why can't a Jordan fan for example cheer if one of the Ferraris or Macs had a DNF enabling their driver to score a point or a podium?

I cheered my ass off. Justice was served Schumi won the race and we had some new faces on the podium.

#38 Drifter

Drifter

• 445 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 08:26

You know, all this supposed morality and nice guy $hit is making me sick. I consider myself to be a faily moderate and level headed person but FFS, this is sport, this is competition at the highest level, this is entertainment not a freakin' bible class.

Complain when they start throwing bottles onto the track but until then, get over it!

#39 pRy

pRy

• 26,336 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 08:48

I remember when Michael Schumacher tragicly ran into the back of Coulthard at Spa, I was in a caravan on holiday at the time, and I went... at some volume...

"YES!!!!!!!! **** YOU SCHUMACHER!"

I was quite shocked at myself. I like him a little more these days.

Advertisement

#40 lulup

lulup

• 1,190 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 09:24

I meant cheer for other people unlucky/crash etc...... is pathetic.
Not cheer for other people lucky/win/success etc...... is pathetic.

I think it's OK if you or whoever cheer for someone win.but cheer for someone fail is quite bad.Even you don't like him.

If MS/MH role exchange,I'd say(type) the same thing.

I want to ask when you guy when you watching the race,trackside or TV.What would you "want"?
Close racing?
Carousel?
Cruising

Originally posted by colejk
Lulup,
so what do you exactly cheer for?

I cheer for close racing.
For me,it doesn't matter it's MS vs MH or DC vs MS or MH vs DC or MS vs JV or MS vs DH and who win,who lose.

#41 daz

daz

• 2,729 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 10:55

yerp, saw the same thing at the australian gp when i was there. when the 3 drivers came out and the places were awarded, everyone boooooooo'ed dc, and i was thinking, why is everyone boooing him. i mean i dont support the team etc, but i still clapped for him.

the crowd then cheered when MS said stop boooing and to clap for him.

i mean seriously, the guy has just come 2nd in a race, like him or not you still clap. i think the whole crowd were just on the wagon of ferrari .... was disgusting to be honest.

#42 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 05 May 2001 - 22:17

watching the video of Mika slowing the crowd is cheering. But are they cheering because Mika is about to DNF giving Schumacher the win, or are they cheering to will him on because he's trying to get to the finish. Going by the energy in the crowd Id say the latter