Photo
- - - - -

Santino Ferrucci banned for two F2 races for deliberately hitting team mate's car, etc [split topic]

• Please log in to reply
401 replies to this topic

#1 DS27

DS27

• 4,792 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:26

Ferrucci    :lol:   

Well, he is the Haas development driver, so his F1 mentors set the scene for driving standards perhaps...

Advertisement

#2 Anja

Anja

• 10,899 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:33

Ferrucci    :lol:   

Well, he is the Haas development driver, so his F1 mentors set the scene for driving standards perhaps...

And Maini takes lessons in radio communication from Grosjean. It all makes perfect sense!

#3 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,632 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 17:04

Ferrucci suspended for Hungarian and Belgian weekends.

#4 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,979 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 17:08

Ferrucci suspended for Hungarian and Belgian weekends.

Correct decision, and the full report is quite something:

Following today's FIA Formula 2 Championship Sprint Race, it was found that Trident's Santino Ferrucci was in breach of multiple regulations throughout the race. 

Firstly, following his contact with Arjun Maini on the cooldown lap of the race, it was determined that Ferrucci deliberately drove into the rear of his teammate - breaching the Sporting Regulations. After the stewards had heard testimony from the team that this was a premeditated incident, Ferrucci was summoned to the hearing but declined to attend. As a consequence, the American driver has been suspended from the next two FIA Formula 2 Championship rounds - meaning he will not be permitted to participate in both Budapest and Spa-Francorchamps - and has also been given a fine of €60,000.

In another incident with his teammate, Ferrucci was found to have deliberately forced Maini off of the road at Turn 4 after the Indian driver proceeded to make a pass for position. Once again, Ferrucci declined to attend the hearing, and has been disqualified from the results of the Sprint Race.

Having also been observed transitioning from the support paddock to the race pitlane wearing just one glove and holding a phone in his hand by a Technical Delegate, Ferrucci also violated both the Technical and Sporting Regulations for incorrect driver safety equipment and the prohibition of wireless transmission devices within the car. For these transgressions, he has earned a further €6000 in fines.

What a piece of work.

Edited by Disgrace, 08 July 2018 - 17:09.

#5 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,278 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 17:09

Given his Twitter response, it's clear he chose to stick to his guns on the "move" (I don't know what else to call it!), which won't have endeared him to the stewards. Intentionally running into the back of somebody else (let alone your team mate...) is entirely dumb.

Edit: The team's testimony against him suggests to me that they won't be letting him back in the car even after Spa. His driving was bizarre yesterday; his driving today was outrageous. I don't know where he gets off trying to play the aggrieved victim here.

Edited by Muppetmad, 08 July 2018 - 17:11.

#6 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,979 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 17:20

Edit: The team's testimony against him suggests to me that they won't be letting him back in the car even after Spa. His driving was bizarre yesterday; his driving today was outrageous. I don't know where he gets off trying to play the aggrieved victim here.

Where is this testimony? Not that I don't believe you, but I haven't been able to find it myself. It's interesting that they could determine the hit was premeditated. Was he stupid enough to tell the team?

#7 sportyskells

sportyskells

• 5,454 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 17:23

who will step in here to replace the banned driver for at least the next two rounds?

#8 statman

statman

• 7,312 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 17:34

Does anyone know his background? Rich parents etc?

Can't believe if you worked really hard for sponsors etc. for your career and then throw it away like that.  :drunk:

#9 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,746 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:00

Vandoorne us such a brilliant driver, he managed to beat two Williams drivers.

#10 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,961 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:01

Says the one that cry’s on the radio. I just did my drug test so I’m all clear 1f609.png. Maybe if they showed what you did to me during the race more people would understand.

https://twitter.com/...944116763549696

#11 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 25,961 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:01

He seems nice.

#12 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:02

God damn, just as I was saying that 99.9% of open wheel incidents are accidental and that 'intent' pretty much never factors into the discussion.  

I haven't seen the race yet, but does anybody have a clip?  

#13 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:03

Does anyone know his background? Rich parents etc?

Dad is a hedge fund manager and mom an ambulance chaser.  Seems like he's generating business for her.

Good to see the FIA is taking this sort of thing a bit more seriously than they did at Azerbaijan and Singapore last year.

#14 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:03

God damn, just as I was saying that 99.9% of open wheel incidents are accidental and that 'intent' pretty much never factors into the discussion.

I haven't seen the race yet, but does anybody have a clip?

Twitter has clips, just search for his name. It was a gentle tap. Fully deserves a ban though. Looking at this, it's even more puzzling how Vettel escaped without a ban last season.

#15 Huffer

Huffer

• 3,707 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:05

Seems like a prime 2nd driver for Ferrari ;)

#16 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:06

Says the one that cry’s on the radio. I just did my drug test so I’m all clear 1f609.png. Maybe if they showed what you did to me during the race more people would understand.

Ah ok.  It's a pretty minor tap, but still so extremely dumb.  

Taking the beef onto Twitter as well.  smh

#17 AmonGods

AmonGods

• 1,116 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:06

Twitter has clips, just search for his name. It was a gentle tap. Fully deserves a ban though. Looking at this, it's even more puzzling how Vettel escaped without a ban last season.

Because he drives a Ferrari and was in a WDC battle.

#18 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:07

Because he drives a Ferrari and was in a WDC battle.

Yep but shouldn't come into it. Disgraceful actions.

#19 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:07

I think Ferrucci should have an extra race ban for his misuse of apostrophes.

Advertisement

#20 Showty

Showty

• 2,261 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:09

My thoughts too.

#21 Anja

Anja

• 10,899 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:10

I'm not sure what he wanted to achieve by not turning up when called by the stewards. Best way to make things even worse. 

Edited by Anja, 08 July 2018 - 18:10.

#22 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,371 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:11

We all know the answer.

#23 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,278 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:13

Where is this testimony? Not that I don't believe you, but I haven't been able to find it myself. It's interesting that they could determine the hit was premeditated. Was he stupid enough to tell the team?

Apologies, I was referring only to the sentence "After the stewards had heard testimony from the team that this was a premeditated incident" from the article you posted. In situations involving their own drivers, you'd normally expect teams to back them up - it's striking that the team seemed to provide evidence against him.

Edit: And on a broader note, it's a pity he's let this feud with Maini explode like this, because he has probably ruined any chance of a career in single seaters. Whatever point Ferrucci was trying to make this weekend, I hope it was worth it.

Edited by Muppetmad, 08 July 2018 - 18:16.

#24 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,576 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:14

Not to defend Vettel but the incidents are not comparable. Vettel tapped Hamilton during the race. Ferrucci deliberately hit Maini after the race more or less as an act of revenge.

#25 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,644 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:15

Apologies, I was referring only to the sentence "After the stewards had heard testimony from the team that this was a premeditated incident" from the article you posted. In situations involving their own drivers, you'd normally expect teams to back them up - it's striking that the team seemed to provide evidence against him.

"we're sick of being stuck with him, please save us and ban him" :lol:

#26 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:15

Not to defend Vettel but the incidents are not comparable. Vettel tapped Hamilton during the race. Ferrucci deliberately hit Maini after the race more or less as an act of revenge.

I honestly can't see any difference. "During the race" - They weren't in a racing situation. The race wasn't active.

They both deliberately made contact with another car. One gets a 10 second penalty. One gets a four race ban.

#27 Joseki

Joseki

• 4,371 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:17

From Trident

Trident intends to show their solidarity and support to @ArjunMaini_ and his family, for the unsportsmanlike and above all uncivilized behavior that he was forced to endure not only during this last weekend by Santino Ferrucci and father, who accompanied him. The contractual implications of what has happened will be dealt with by our lawyers. Never in these 12 years of sporting activity has anything even close to this ever occurred. We apologize for the show that we have regretfully offered.

#28 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:19

Ooh, lawyers.  That's where I'm a Viking.

#29 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:20

From Trident

Trident intends to show their solidarity and support to @ArjunMaini_ and his family, for the unsportsmanlike and above all uncivilized behavior that he was forced to endure not only during this last weekend by Santino Ferrucci and father, who accompanied him. The contractual implications of what has happened will be dealt with by our lawyers. Never in these 12 years of sporting activity has anything even close to this ever occurred. We apologize for the show that we have regretfully offered.

Rightly so. Congratulations to them for taking this position.

Edited by kapow, 08 July 2018 - 18:20.

#30 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:21

Illiterate fool. Cry's is not a word. 

#31 kapow

kapow

• 934 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:23

Lawyers will be fun. Cue Ferrucci claiming that Trident helped to engineer his four race ban by actively saying it was pre-meditated to the stewards.

#32 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,979 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:23

From Trident

It sounds to me like something very unsavory has also happened in the paddock.

#33 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 12,278 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:24

When I said "The team's testimony against him suggests to me that they won't be letting him back in the car even after Spa.", I wasn't expecting to be proven correct so quickly and publicly  :lol: 

#34 Frood

Frood

• 10,572 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:26

What an unsavoury character. Looks like someone got Kimball’ed at Detroit and reckoned he could go one step further.

#35 Jellyfishcake

Jellyfishcake

• 6,281 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:31

When I said "The team's testimony against him suggests to me that they won't be letting him back in the car even after Spa.", I wasn't expecting to be proven correct so quickly and publicly  :lol: 

Haha nope, 

Anyway something else must have happened after the race as they mention his father as well.

#36 messy

messy

• 7,816 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:37

A textbook example of how to make yourself look like a total f***wit. Childish and stupid, feel the FIA should probably just match all this by putting him on -500 points or something.

#37 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 3,717 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:40

Sounds like this guy is done. But then again he's just following the examples set by the drivers of the senior team.... 

#38 SpaceHorseParty

SpaceHorseParty

• 1,661 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:41

I found this GQ article about Ferrucci from 2010, back when he was an 11-year-old karter. Doesn't seem to have grown mentally since then.

I ask if he has a racing idol.

"Michael Schumacher," he says, referencing the legendarily demanding German who won seven Formula One championships before retiring in 2006. "Because I tell my mechanics what to do, and usually they listen. If they don't, they're fired."

I point out that, as far as I've seen, it's his dad who's tightening bolts. And you can't fire your dad.

"Yes, you can. You say, 'Dad, you're no good. Hire a mechanic.'"

#39 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,566 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:48

What an incredible rap sheet that is. Seems to be an appropriate penalty for being a total arse.

Advertisement

#40 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:48

What a tool.

#41 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:54

Extremely average results in all junior categories he's competed in too.

One third place in the past three seasons doesn't really that great... 

#42 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:54

I found this GQ article about Ferrucci from 2010, back when he was an 11-year-old karter. Doesn't seem to have grown mentally since then.

What a w@nker. Honestly. What a spoilt dick. If I was his Dad and I had read that article, I would have slapped him all the way home and locked him in the garage for a week with bread and water. Rather than buying him a motorsport career. 

Edited by Tsarwash, 08 July 2018 - 18:55.

#43 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:55

(Not my fault, if your expletive detector doesn't know some of my favourite swear words.)  :blush:

#44 DS27

DS27

• 4,792 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:56

What a wanker. Honestly. What a spoilt dick. If I was his Dad and I had read that article, I would have slapped him all the way home and locked him in the garage for a week with bread and water. Rather than buying him a motorsport career. 

True enough for normal people, but no doubt he has got his crappy attitude from his dad in the first place.

#45 JHSingo

JHSingo

• 9,224 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:56

You can tell all you need to know about this bloke, just from the fact he's retweeted a message from someone describing him as an "utter savage". :rolleyes:

For those who aren't down with the yout, that's a compliment, apparently...

Edited by JHSingo, 08 July 2018 - 18:57.

#46 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,939 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 18:59

I do hope the FIA keeps this stance on people that deliberately hit others (e.g in situations like Vettel, Maldonado).

#47 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,979 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 19:01

Eish. If he was a Roald Dahl character, he'd be called Santino Veruci.

#48 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 19:01

What a w@nker. Honestly. What a spoilt dick. If I was his Dad and I had read that article, I would have slapped him all the way home and locked him in the garage for a week with bread and water. Rather than buying him a motorsport career. 

I can kinda understand why a cocky 11-year-old would say such things.

He's an adult now, time to grow up.

#49 Chunkinator

Chunkinator

• 425 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 19:09

I am very curious what happened with the father. This is all quite juicy. Judging by all this doubt he'll be doing much more racing in European singleseaters.

Edit: Reading all the guys past comments is really making me realise why I am liking leclerc so much at the moment lol.

Edit2: I also feel really sorry for trident atm, quite a lot of negativity with both their drivers at a couple of rounds now.

Edited by Chunkinator, 08 July 2018 - 19:20.

#50 potmotr

potmotr

• 12,995 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 19:10

Main thing I find interesting about that article is: you must need a phenomenally able PR consultant to get a story about an 11-year-old go karter into GQ!

My other favourite paragraph:

His professional role model (which is different from an idol) is Lewis Hamilton... Hamilton, like most of his Formula One peers, learned to drive in a go-kart. He started at 8 and won his first national race when he was 10. "I beat his record," Santino told me. "I won my first at 8. So I kicked his butt."