- - - - -

Halo Mirror Visibility Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pvg1

pvg1

• 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 21:32

I don't understand why they try to improve the visibility  for the driver with mirrors.

When you use screens and cameras the position of the 'mirror' can be the same for everybody.

Also we can add the option that we too can see the driver's view by adding the screens in our view.

Race stewards can judge if the visibility was an issue by taking the mirror camera recording into the investigation.

Advertisement

#2 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:38

More mandatory expensive tech? also mirrors are nice because they work when the power is out too. Say the car rolls down the track..

If teams want to do it they might but it is hard to beat weight and cost of mirrors. Also if rear view visibility is poor.. how about a plate/figure placed in the rear. That needs to be seen in the mirrors/screens in order to approve the mirrors/car for the race.

Edited by MatsNorway, 19 July 2018 - 08:39.

#3 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:58

F1 simply out hitechs itself regularly.

Scrutineers should simply tell teams Two mirrors that have a decent range of view. Achieved by putting driver in car and asking him to say what is happening behind. get someone to wave their arm behind the car.

Simple, cheap and lotech.

The stupid holoes are just a dumb hitech answewr to a rollcage!! Which is the same for everyone.

#4 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,394 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 00:11

I read they have just such a simple mirror test but I can't remember where I read it. It came up some years back.

#5 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,343 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 13:37

One year, I assisted in the pre-season mirror positioning exercise at the time when everybody was complaining about rear vision.

The team used the mock up car chassis, set on a flat bed, whereas in reality, their cars were run with quite a few degrees of rake.

I went back to my desk & did a quick study, which showed that cars approaching from behind might well disappear 'under' the rear bodywork about 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths earlier than the 'mock up' position. (Difficult to explain)

I pointed this out but was ignored by important people 'who know better'.